Singing at the gym

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm doing extremely boring PT exercises there. I listen to music to get me through it - also to help pace myself / time movements, because I'd rush through them otherwise. But I am still so damn bored I often want to sing along. And I can, because I am not at all exerted by quad sets and bike on no resistance.

How annoying is hearing someone sing or hum at the gym on a scale of 1-10? Not super loud. (I have a decent voice, used to sing here and there, could be worse that way, but I don't think that matters if any singing or humming is intrusive.) I am mostly doing this in a room off to the side where there's just one or two other people, five at a time max.

On one hand I kind of care because it might bother some people. On the other hand, some of them throw their own music onto the public audio system, really loud, when they hit the sandbags, leave their water bottles on equipment and mats, and generally act snotty. So it's not as bad as it could be?

Also again I am so ****ing bored.

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I sing to myself everywhere. Not enough to annoy others, but it keeps me motivated and happy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    On a scale of 1 to 10 it's an 11 (even though most people around you probably have earbuds and wouldn't even hear you unless you decided to sing the aria from Madam Butterfly...)

Use your best judgement, if no one is too close by go for it.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's pretty high up there - mostly because most people have no idea how loud they are being.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yeah maybe I should do most of it at home, and then just go to the gym for the things I need equipment for. It's kind of annoying to break it up that way, though (changing twice). Also, going to the gym helps me feel motivated to actually do that stuff.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    10. Your voice, even if it is good, will ruin my train of thought and greatly reduce the pleasure of my workout. It may even mean I leave more annoyed and stressed than I arrived.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    At any volume?
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm annoying then, because yeah for me during cardio I find myself singing along to my music, it's not full on vibrato or loud, just singing a long when I catch a breath, it keeps me going and helps to detract my attention from wanting to stare at the timer on the machine.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Yes, at any volume. It's intrusive to make noise like that in a public space. Phone conversations and loud music at the gym are also rude in my opinion.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Yes, at any volume. It's intrusive to make noise like that in a public space. Phone conversations and loud music at the gym are also rude in my opinion.

Yeah, I appreciate that. (I don't ordinarily make uncivil noises at the gym, just so you know - this is an extreme circumstance.)

Thanks for your input.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    You're welcome.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    skeo wrote: »
    I guess I'm annoying then, because yeah for me during cardio I find myself singing along to my music, it's not full on vibrato or loud, just singing a long when I catch a breath, it keeps me going and helps to detract my attention from wanting to stare at the timer on the machine.

Do you/would you stop if asked, out of other people in the gym looked annoyed?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    nods nods nods nods nods

Phone calls at the gym are so inappropriate and annoying- you have no idea how loud you are trying to communicate with the other person on the phone. It's really really annoying.

I'll take a call and ask if it's important or you need me- and either I'll say later- I'm at the gym- or I'll step outside.

I realize the sub level "singing" that is more like mumbling or whining- also wildly annoying.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I would only do it if A) there were nobody else around, or B) if the people near me were ALL wearing earbuds. Otherwise, no.
  • skeo
    Options
    If someone asked me, sure I would stop.
  • skeo
    Options
    skeo wrote: »
    If someone asked me, sure I would stop.

Edited to add: I go to a large gym, it's noisy, people grunt, drop weights, and there is music over the intercom.
    In a small space, or a small apartment style gym, I would not because yes, I would be annoyed. On the other hand, others have done the opposite; like plug their phones into a small speaker device and play music like it's their own personal space. So I would guess that someone singing a long to their music in a sort of muted tone wouldn't be a bother.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Well it couldn't be worse than the group of young lads in the free weights section who loudly discuss their sexual exploits between sets which I have got used to so no, it wouldn't be high on my list of annoying things...
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I equate it to someone having a phone conversation that I didn't ask to be part of and that I can't get away from unless I stop what I'm doing and move as far away as possible. Or leaving if necessary. I totally understand your boredom though, no resistance on the machine drives me insane. I had to do the same thing for my knee. Made me cranky!!
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    I equate it to someone having a phone conversation that I didn't ask to be part of and that I can't get away from unless I stop what I'm doing and move as far away as possible. Or leaving if necessary. I totally understand your boredom though, no resistance on the machine drives me insane. I had to do the same thing for my knee. Made me cranky!!

Haha, thanks. Yes, so cranky!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts :)
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i dont sing out loud but i sing in my head and sometimes mouth the words....its all about the intention and not the actual doing i find that helps....i also make funny movements with my hands along with the beat....
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I have this problem in the office as well. Cannot hear at the gym with headphones on so im good. Besides singing....what about whistling? I hear it and automatically think Bluto in Animal House destroying the guitar on the stairs. I heard the Russians did some research on using music that you dont like for your workout. You hate the music so much that you actually are so pissed you have better workouts. It has been proven..I think.
This discussion has been closed.