dairy and fruit sugars?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've noticed that I am always well over my sugar target for the day- myfitnesspal counts dairy and fruit sugars as part of this, should I be cutting down on these products? I'm freaking out a little that I will start gaining weight eating this much sugar everyday... some other forums on the internet only say that you should count "added sugar", what's your views on this?

Calories are what matter for weight loss.

The sugar goal is a very rough estimate to help you figure out if you are eating too many low nutrient sweets or a non balanced diet. It's probably better to look at macros and micros (to the extent available) and fiber for that. If you were having trouble staying within your calories and always over sugar, that might be something to look at, but on its own it's not significant.

Also, how many grams are we talking about? If you are on very reduced calories (like 1200) it's quite a low limit. I exceeded it (with 52 grams) the other day with no dairy, a few cherries and a pluot, lots of vegetables and some corn.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You will not find agreement about the topic on this forum.

I am on the "sugar is sugar" side of the fence. Your body doesn't distinguish the difference between added and natural sugars. Just because Americans are used to eating (and don't want to reduce their intake of) massive amounts of sugar...well, that doesn't make it healthy.

Phew, good thing not all of us are Americans then.

Are you not a North American?

People who eat the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) tend to be those who most vehemently object to following basic sugar limits. If you are not living off of processed junk, it's pretty easy to avoid going over the sugar limit.

No it's not. I very rarely eat processed "junk", and I've gone over the old sugar limit on MFP just from unsweetened dairy and veggie consumption. They raised it since then, but I had a huge whack of cauliflower be the biggest contributor to my sugar intake for that particular day.

Once again, blanket statements...

Also? People "objecting to following basic sugar limits" might just think that adults are capable of being a little more flexible with fitting more than a couple of pieces of fruit in their diet. You can eat very healthfully and go over MFP's sugar goal just from eating a banana, an apple, some yogurt, and plenty of veggies and maybe having some watermelon or sweet potato.

Not everyone low carbs.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Just because Americans are used to eating (and don't want to reduce their intake of) massive amounts of sugar...well, that doesn't make it healthy.

LOL. 46+ grams of sugar from fruits, dairy, and vegetables, as well as some starches, is not difficult at all to do even with a fruit consumption at or below what is typically recommended.

The problem with the SAD is not excess fruit.

Generalizing about what Americans eat is silly. There's enormous diversity and you don't have enough knowledge about OP's diet to opine that she's eating unhealthy levels of sugar.
    If you are not living off of processed junk, it's pretty easy to avoid going over the sugar limit.

You have been over the sugar limit for 1200 calories on numerous days.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    This raises an interesting (well, not really) question:

It's generally easy for me to stay under the sugar recommendation, because I'm on 1700 calories, so get a reasonable amount of sugar.

It would be hard to stay under if I were on 1200, especially since then I'm likely to replace some fattier options with more fruit or low fat dairy.

So am I an American or not?

It seems I am more American when I keep my calories lower, and yet Americans are hardly notorious for our low calorie consumption. Oh, what a conundrum!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This raises an interesting (well, not really) question:

It's generally easy for me to stay under the sugar recommendation, because I'm on 1700 calories, so get a reasonable amount of sugar.

It would be hard to stay under if I were on 1200, especially since then I'm likely to replace some fattier options with more fruit or low fat dairy.

So am I an American or not?

It seems I am more American when I keep my calories lower, and yet Americans are hardly notorious for our low calorie consumption. Oh, what a conundrum!

I'm American today! Slightly under 1200 calories, but over 45 grams of sugar. Had to go and put 35 calories of chocolate chips in my plain yogurt (which itself was the highest sugar containing item in my diary).

• myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

I am on the "sugar is sugar" side of the fence. Your body doesn't distinguish the difference between added and natural sugars. Just because Americans are used to eating (and don't want to reduce their intake of) massive amounts of sugar...well, that doesn't make it healthy.

*nods*
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Unnecessary snark deleted.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited July 2015
    Options

Assuming that you have a normal metabolism, too much sugar is probably less of an issue for weight loss than it is for long-term health and good aging.

An easy switch is to exchange some of your fruits for more vegetables. Eating less processed food also makes it easier to reduce your sugar intake

I had a look through your diary.

I found a day where you consumed around 1200 calories so that it compared to the people who normally have this issue.

Here's the thing. the sugar goal for people who are on 1200 calories is 45 grams.

Today I didn't exercise, and I was over my goal by 3 grams. I had 35 calories worth of chocolate chips, but by and large, my intake of sugar was from fruit, veggies, and unsweetened dairy. 48 grams of sugar.

On your 1200 calorie day, you had two generous servings of fruit and plenty of veggies. In fact, except for eating meat, you and I have similar diets. Your sugar consumption for that day? 69 grams. Most of it from blueberries.

People who are on lower calorie allowances blow through that sugar goal eating dairy and fruit quite easily. I don't think you understand this at all.

Editing to add: I just looked again at that day's entry, and your sugar intake was probably not that high. The two blueberry entries vary and one has a really high sugar number.

The point still stands about how easy it is to come near to the sugar limit for people on 1200 calories, though.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Assuming that you have a normal metabolism, too much sugar is probably less of an issue for weight loss than it is for long-term health and good aging.

An easy switch is to exchange some of your fruits for more vegetables. Eating less processed food also makes it easier to reduce your sugar intake

People who eat the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.) tend to be those who most vehemently object to following basic sugar limits. If you are not living off of processed junk, it's pretty easy to avoid going over the sugar limit.

That is the most ignorant thing to say!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

The majority of my sugar comes from dairy, fruit and veggies, and I have never been able to stay under mfp's sugar goals, not even once. Would you class those as processed junk?
    Serious question.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I found a day where you consumed around 1200 calories so that it compared to the people who normally have this issue.

Here's the thing. the sugar goal for people who are on 1200 calories is 45 grams.

Today I didn't exercise, and I was over my goal by 3 grams. I had 35 calories worth of chocolate chips, but by and large, my intake of sugar was from fruit, veggies, and unsweetened dairy. 48 grams of sugar.

On your 1200 calorie day, you had two generous servings of fruit and plenty of veggies. In fact, except for eating meat, you and I have similar diets. Your sugar consumption for that day? 69 grams. Most of it from blueberries.

People who are on lower calorie allowances blow through that sugar goal eating dairy and fruit quite easily. I don't think you understand this at all.

Wait........claims to believe sugar is sugar regardless of source, pokes fun at 'Muricans, claims its easy to stay below sugar limit by avoiding the processed junk in SAD, yet goes over sugar limit with "healthy" foods? Did I put this puzzle together properly?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Wait........claims to believe sugar is sugar regardless of source, pokes fun at 'Muricans, claims its easy to stay below sugar limit by avoiding the processed junk in SAD, yet goes over sugar limit with "healthy" foods? Did I put this puzzle together properly?

Well, it's not her sugar limit, especially with all of her exercise burns from MFP's data base added in.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Well, it's not her sugar limit, especially with all of her exercise burns from MFP's data base added in.

Body's a unique calorie incinerating furnace I take it???
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I am at exactly "0" left for my 45g of sugar for the day... Actually under, because I haven't eaten my strawberries that I pre-logged this morning. I don't even eat sweets, unless you count G2 Orange Gatorade. But great generalization, stop being an Eliza Dushku.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

euktq44lusp3.jpeg
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    I didn't know you can switch your sugar tracking to fiber tracking :O I just did it, and I'm over by 1 on fiber. IM REGULAR!!!!!!!!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I didn't know you can switch your sugar tracking to fiber tracking :O I just did it, and I'm over by 1 on fiber. IM REGULAR!!!!!!!!!!

yaaaay LOL :lol:

I switched to fibre because I got sick of seeing that red number pop up under sugar, pretty much as soon as I entered my breakfast and lunch into my diary :confounded:

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Well, she doesn't eat them back, so they're just there. However, there was a time in a previous thread where she did shame other posters about how everyone should be able to burn the same as she does.

When you're using inflated burns as a method of comparison (with likely overstated effort since self-reported effort is notoriously overstated) and shaming other people with them? Bad form.

However, back to topic, I'll take this opportunity to point out that the day I used for illustrative purposes in her diary likely had a bad entry for one of her blueberry servings. So she didn't eat 69 grams. Probably more like 53 grams. Still over the goal for a 1200 calorie diet, but she's not on 1200 calories. I was illustrating a point about people who usually ask questions about the sugar limit.

• Kimegatron
    Options

yaaaay LOL :lol:

I switched to fibre because I got sick of seeing that red number pop up under sugar, pretty much as soon as I entered my breakfast and lunch into my diary :confounded:

I am slowly getting the hang of this, but I didn't realize I was doing okay in fiber! How exciting! Lololol!