WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lenora, guess I'm out of touch because I actually say "fixing" instead of "fixin." It's funny how you can live in different parts of the same state and hear dialects native to a particular area. When I went to college, many of my friends were from the Canton area and they all sounded so different to me. Now my grand children are coming along and I laugh at their little southern voices. My DH grew up in the Atlanta area and has no Southern sound at all. I'm afraid my mom is responsible for a lot of my errors ~ grew calling salmon sal - mon with no silent l. Called a judge Jurdge (wonder if that makes my brother the judge cringe?). Column was pronounce col - yum. Those are just a few even though she was an honor student all the way through school.

Happy Birthday Chris ~ Hope you have a lovely day.

The trump upped pup and cat are too funny.

Heather, your grand children are adorable. My grandson was hilarious when he appeared in a long flowing tropical dress that was my mom's. The 3 yr old put on her Sz 16 swim suit with no underwear and her heiny was hanging out the back.

Selena, great picture of you and your DH. Wishing you good luck on the book.

Lisa, as all the others have said....you are a lady of many talents.

Keeping busy here listing clothes on eBay. It is an arduous job ~ sorting, ironing, taking pictures and writing ads. I don't think anyone who has never done something like this understands all the work that goes into it. Luckily, my mom kept very good care of her clothing and most of it is in excellent condition.

Carol ~ GA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Chris HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :flowerforyou:
    9iizd78lbil5.jpg

JanetMM wonderful news on smaller pant size!

Heather adorable pictures. Love it!

:heart: MNMargaret
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Chris, I can't keep straight because of not knowing exactly when someone posted things, so it it's today:
    bday.gif
    Love ya,
    DJ
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Chris HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have a beautiful day. You are loved!

Janetr OKC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the compliments... but SuperWoman here woke up, from what little sleep I got, wondering whether the consulting gig is a good idea or not. It's a lot of stress in a short amount of time. Not that I can't handle it, and I will take it on, still, stress or no stress, if they come back and say they want me to start. Every day they delay makes the situation at the restaurant more complex. But, still no word on the owners' decision as of right now.

We loved the warehouse, put in an offer yesterday afternoon of 55K, and we'll see what happens. I'd SO much rather be working for us than working for someone else again--and that's a large part of what the warehouse purchase is for, in order for me to be working for the two of us and our future, not just making money.

I took pictures, of course, but the cosmetics are rough. The infrastructure is good, but the lots are grown up like mad with all the rain we've had, and the paint is peeling. The building looks vaguely leprous, as it's a metal building and someone probably used white wall paint on it, without preparation or primer. Half the white paint's peeled off, showing the galvanized metal below. Silly buggers. There will be a fair bit of sweat equity needed.

Oddly enough, the 90-day consulting gig, if they hire me on my terms, would be exactly the amount of the down payment on the warehouse. And I've already made it clear that I'm not budging on my terms. I'm worth the price I quoted, I know it and they know it. If they won't pay that much, it's their problem. :) They can come back to me next year to fix whatever cheaper solution they decide on now, and my consulting price will go up in the interim. That's the biz.

We also got a weird e-mail from our real estate agent last night saying, "there have been some changes in listing information. I will get with Roy tomorrow and make sure we are entering the correct information. I will let you know when offer ready for signatures." I'm interested to see what changed, and if it's a dealbreaker.

Welcome to the new ones, hugs all 'round for those who need them.

Off to the races... talk to y'all later today.
    Lisa H in West Texas
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Barbie, how nice to mark everything off your to do list.

Mia, your cat pic is so funny. It’s the first thing I saw this morning. smiley-laughing021.gif Thanks for the wake up laugh.

G, you need to get whatever you can for that foot. That can knock you on you’re *kitten* if you aren’t careful. Hope it’s better soon.

Mary, good for you on getting more done in the house. Just don’t let it stress you out as it will be there waiting for you the next day. One day at a time, remember? ((Hugs))

Rosie, holy moly, is all you did was walk??? loopy.gifThat’s a lotta steps!!

Joyce, I hope they get the insurance and doctor together to get things covered. Glad he is a bit better for the moment.

Selena, congrats on a successful book launch. Love the pic, you look great.

Allison, to bad the store was out of the flooring. But congrats that the kitchen floor is done. It’s always something, isn’t it? I guess that’s just life. One thing about it is it’s always changing. Would love a picture of your ceramic hummer.

Heather, lunch will cost at least $150??? Wow, that is one upscale restaurant. They better keep good reviews! And they better roll out the red carpet for you. worthy.gif Have fun. Oh what darling grands!!!! I’d want to be hugging on them all the time.

Carol, I can’t wait till we get together so I can make fun of the funny way you talk, cause I’m so sure I don’t have a southern accent or use any of the strange sayings that my momma from Mississippi ever used. Like you say, we all have our accents and sayings. I do remember when we lived in Milwaukee, laughing when I’d hear someone with that “Fargo accent”. DH has a few strange words and it’s all that he grew up hearing from his parents. (bildfolder that you keep your money in, Tourist Court for motel and a few others.) I know it is a lot of work listing all the clothes, but hopefully it will be worth it.

NMMargaret, pretty flowers!!!

Lisa, I’m still not clear on what ya’ll would do with the warehouse? Would you still live out on the ranch? I don’t know what kind of business would be done in the warehouse? Come on, spell it out for your simple minded friend. I hope the changes aren’t bad and things work out for you.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    We decided to wait and go to the beach tomorrow when the heat and humidity will be down. Today is still in high 90’s and humid. I am not nearly as sore from dancing as I was last week. Yeah! And my lower back seems fine or I should say normal. Lol I made some soup yesterday and need to freeze some of it today. I never used to make soup in the summer but it’s something healthy I can eat and like. I was under in calories yesterday and the scale was up today. Go figure. smiley-confused013.gif It just fluctuates so much that I don’t even pay any attention as long as it’s back down in a day or two.

Let’s all try to make the most of the day, ladies. Remember, much of it is in our control. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • lhannon062709
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DJ - There are no facilities within 50 miles where you can unload a semi-trailer with a pallet jack, and there is literally only one place in town (the feed store) that has a forklift to unload semi-trucks. If you have something delivered that is big enough to need a pallet, the logistics of getting it off the truck are a nightmare and dependent on three or four different organizations to assist. At a cost.

The warehouse, which has stood empty for quite some time, has three of six bays equipped with loading bumpers where a semi can back a trailer up and the driver can offload with a pallet jack--then the receiver can come pick it up whenever they choose, as long as they're willing to pay storage. I would be the one running the warehouse, and probably set it up as three days a week to be in the office there from, say 10 to 5 p.m. We could also secure a bay and rent it on a month-to-month or lease it to a company that delivers in town regularly.

That, however, is the second step. If the sale goes through, the half-acre lot next to the warehouse, which also comes with it in the sale, is fenced with hurricane fence and three strands of barbed wire. It needs probably $200 worth of repairs to one section, plus brush cleared from it (sweat equity, woo-hoo!). So the plan for the first step is to clear and repair the lot and advertise secure RV, boat, car and travel trailer storage for a small monthly fee--ten to fifteen rentals would pay the entire mortgage for the place. There is no similar storage within more than a hundred-mile range.

Once that's done, then we start clearing brush around the warehouse, get the outside painted, make the three-room apartment/office livable (needs a hot water heater and a good scrubbing, mostly, plus paint and scraping that nasty-*kitten* popcorn ceiling off! :smiley: ). Once it's usable as an office space, I can start going in three days a week, working out at the local gym early, then write in the office for the rest of the day.

Are we moving off the ranch? No. This is aimed at building what you might call a safety net. Because Corey's employers supply the house and everything for us, we actually own nothing except my car. My husband even drives a ranch-owned truck.

This will give us that little pied-a-terre (which I found is French for "foot on the ground," :) ) to stay the night if I'm in town for a workshop, or alternatively, to move our stuff if something happens to his job. It's the fallback position. And hopefully, completely paid off long before anything disastrous happens. That's the notion anyway.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Chris!!!!!
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Chris in MA!
    fiesta.gif

Great pic Selena... glad the release was successful!

Carey-Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Good luck with DH's medical treatments. I'm confident the insurance will work out and hope the treatments are effective. :flowerforyou:

Chris in MA: Happy birthday!!!! :heart: :flowerforyou:

Heather: I love the pics of your grandchildren. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Good luck with the warehouse purchase. I hope all goes well. :flowerforyou:

DS and DDIL will be here later today to load the boat and get on their way. I don't know whether they'll leave here today or tomorrow. I bought new bed pillows for the boat but they seem huge. If they're standard pillows, I'll keep them. If they're larger I'll take them back and get standard sized ones. They say "standard queen." Does that mean standard or queen? The pillows that were on the boat need to go to the garbage bin.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, I am the only one who uses this bathroom so they could dry in peace. All was dry by noon so it turned out OK. Bringing extra undies from now on though!
    Chris in MA
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    Happy birthday, Chris in MA,

Congrats on the book launch, Selena!

Heather in the UK, your grandchildren are past adorable...

Pip - take care of your head, hope it's better today, and glad you have Kirby there to make sure you do.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you Ladies for the wonderful birthday wishes. It's so heartwarming to get greetings from across the ocean and across the country. You have made me smile and have made the day so special already.

My friends (with the husbands who organize cake at their houses) have arranged to take me out to dinner tonight. Yeah!! The town that we live in has become a dining destination, rivaling Boston, so the choices are limitless. I chose a seafood restaurant that I've never been to. Their menu has scallops (my fav) and shrimp for under 200 calories. I will allow myself a cocktail and of course desert.

Although I will be disappointed if my son and his family don't recognize the occasion, I will not let it ruin my day. It's been great so far!

Love the pics of Trumped animals. I will have to Trump Jake the rescue dog and post the picture.

Have a great day!
    Love to you all.

Chris in MA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,611 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    morning peepsters -

jmkmomm - ct scan didn't show one but i sure feel like i have one. if you've had one then you know what i mean. feeling alot more balanced now.

margaretturk - pretty flowers

miesmom - happyyyy bdayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well. I drove today to the gym and did 1/2 hr of the spin class, real easy to see how my shoulder would do leaning over on handle bars. my problem was the sports bra that was over the injured shoulder, had to move the strap off the shoulder. I then drove to the train station and took the train here to work.

tomorrow the plan is to ride to the train station and NOT workout (the ride will the workout in itself) then ride from the train station home, slowly. I can hear you all already. let your body heal! don't rush!, blah blah blah.. all I can say is do as I say, not as I do.

oh, and I weighed myself this morning. 3 lbs under the goal weight. no doubt it's because lack of nutrition over the last 3 days. I have to be careful or I will put my body into starvation mode
    Saturday - 0 calorie intake
    Sunday - 328 calorie intake
    Monday - 215 calorie intake
    Tuesday - 1070 calorie intake
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    @peachstategal - I've heard that (dialect being different from parts of one state from another part of one state. I can't tell the difference between where I live and my friends from HS. Maybe they can. One word that my DMnL mispronounced was 'modern' . . . she'd say Mod Dren; never knew how she spelled it. Don't know where she came up with it either.
  • lhannon062709
    Options
    Well... the consulting job is on... I'll start tomorrow or Friday. Now I get to see how to deal with eating and working out when I'm on my feet eight to ten hours a day and working around food all day long.

My memory of waitress work, back in the mists of the 20th century somewhere, says that working around food made me sick of the entire thought. I will probably just have to work with the cook to grill me something--everything on the menu is fried or butter-soaked.

We went to the restaurant last night for dinner, and I had 2/3 of a hamburger patty with cheese, and one french fry, a bit of the crust off an onion ring, that kind of thing. Wanted to see what the place was like from the customer's point of view. The biggest thing is going to be cleaning. REALLY cleaning.

The place smelled faintly of a soured mop, no food smells whatsoever. Restaurants need to smell like good food!

Lots to do, and hopefully this will be of short duration. Wish me luck!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,611 Member
    Options
    lhannon - LUCK!
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have lost 94 pounds since August 1 with MFP, but just recently came onto the boards. I am looking forward to getting to know you all as I travel on this journey with you. I still have a long way to go so I am in it for the long haul.

WOW, 94 lbs. in less than a year! You go girl!! I think that you can teach us a thing or two.
    Welcome!

Chris in MA
    [/quote]
    Greetings! This looks like an active thread. I am 62 years old. Does that still count for this group, or is there a 60+ group?

I have lost 94 pounds since August 1 with MFP, but just recently came onto the boards. I am looking forward to getting to know you all as I travel on this journey with you. I still have a long way to go so I am in it for the long haul.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,281 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lisa - what are the reviews like on Trip Advisor? :laugh: Sounds like it's going to be a long haul. Don't think I want a free lunch!

Did all my document stuff today on my ÷×%=+ laptop. It actually behaved most of the time. :) I have opened a file for my memoir. :D
    Going up to see those scrumptious grandchildren on the 6th August and the new kitchen and garden. Yeah! Hope to get a quick Skype in this weekend. I sent a Touchnote postcard to them this week. Do any of you do that? It's an app for sending photos as postcards. I sent the one of DH reading to them.

Will do my nails tonight ready for the hotel. We hope to do masses of walking along the cliffs to Old Harry. I tried on the two of my yoga teacher's dresses to show DH this morning. He loved them and the cheap lace shrug looks fine with the velvet one. I am thinking of wearing that for his birthday weekend in October as it goes with the colour scheme I have in mind for the big meal on the Saturday. I will wear the cotton hydrangea patterned one tomorrow for our evening meal. :D<3

Must get on with sea bass for dinner.

Heather UK
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ Perhaps you could introduce some healthier foods into the place. Don't envy you on the cleanup. My dad built and operated a restaurant in the 1970's on the outskirts of a state park that is still in business today but under different ownership. The main drawing card was all you could eat fried catfish. They also had a lot of delicious shrimp and other entrees. He hired a cook (wouldn't call him a chef) who got it all started as he had never been in a business of that type. It was very lucrative for a very long time.

Carol ~ Peach