The beach

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I very rarely (maybe 3x every other year or two) go to the beach or even to a pool. When I do, I have found that the sun really wears me out. I don't think I feel extra hungry but I do feel tired, even if the swimming was more like splashing/floating and not actual swimming swimming. I don't lounge around or roast in the sun at all though.

Maybe it's a matter of truly letting yourself relax and let down your mental barriers to feeling hunger. It's easy to ignore hunger signs when you're super busy. It's harder when you have nothing pressing on your mind.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I hear you! When I was growing up, my family had a lovely house on a quiet lake, with a large floating dock. We'd spend all day on that dock, swimming and boating and sunbathing. By the end of the day, we would all be ravenous and have massive dinners! It makes sense to be hungry when you're a little kid and super active, jumping in and climbing back out over and over for hours at a time, but even as an adult, just laying on the dock or getting the boat out would be enough to rampant up the hunger. There would be days when we weren't overly active or getting exercise, just sun bathing and chatting and having the occasional dip to cool off, but by the time we got up to the house, we were more than ready to start up the buffet. I don't know what it is, but the heat and the sun and the water makes me so hungry too!

Thank you! I knew I wasn't the only one!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would guess that netting so few calories is the reason for the hunger... Shocker, I know.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - you are starving because you are netting 1200 calories a day. and what are you doing to get 1000 calorie burns??????????

Oh for crying out loud!
    I can say for sure that this topic has been covered thoroughly.
    Yes, I am aware that I'm burning too much and not eating enough.
    I'm working on it.

So.... is it the sun? the heat? the air? what could it be??

I don't usually drink alcohol. I used too... too much! Now I save it for just once in a while, at a party or a night out or whatever. I just don't have the "off" switch when I start drinking and it's not fair to my husband or friends to assume that I have a baby-sitter for the night. I quit for a long time and now when I do drink I'll have one or two and it's like firewater! I'm native american so that's the running joke with me and my group of friends :smile:

No. You're not eating enough. You can't continue the 3-4 workouts a day, netting less than 1200 calories and think you're not going to be hungry ALL.THE.TIME.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - you are starving because you are netting 1200 calories a day. and what are you doing to get 1000 calorie burns??????????

Oh for crying out loud!
    I'm working on it.

I don't usually drink alcohol. I used too... too much! Now I save it for just once in a while, at a party or a night out or whatever. I just don't have the "off" switch when I start drinking and it's not fair to my husband or friends to assume that I have a baby-sitter for the night. I quit for a long time and now when I do drink I'll have one or two and it's like firewater! I'm native american so that's the running joke with me and my group of friends :smile:

you answered your own question, you are not eating enough.

now you have the answer, solve the problem.
  • notwaitin
    notwaitin Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a lake place in the summer and am there every weekend. I net more than 1200 cals and am hungry all the time while there too. I think it is the mentality that I'm lounging and its a vacation like atmosphere..I then subconsciously think I need the food and drinks that come with a vacation. I have the time, want a drink in my hand, and lettuce doesn't seem to cut it. I am however working on a way to fix this because I sabotage my progress each weekend.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP you are not eating enough.

/end thread.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    *looks at OP's diary then backs out slowly*

no-words-homer-into-brush.gif

OP's diary looks fine to me.

Really?? :/
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

So eating 1,229 calories yesterday and logging a burn of 1,018 looks fine to you? Are you high?

And yes Cushman, when I don't *properly* fuel my body ... I get hungry. It doesn't matter where I am at.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Um...very recently you posted a thread about how you only like to eat super light foods at the beach. Now you're posting about being hungry at the beach. Do you not see the connection at all?
  • AngelaAlario
    AngelaAlario Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eat something!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Um...very recently you posted a thread about how you only like to eat super light foods at the beach. Now you're posting about being hungry at the beach. Do you not see the connection at all?

maybe the heat is drying out the food and making it less calorie dense? that must be the answer..it can't be that OP nets 1200 calories a day..
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

Oh for crying out loud!
    I'm working on it.

No. You're not eating enough. You can't continue the 3-4 workouts a day, netting less than 1200 calories and think you're not going to be hungry ALL.THE.TIME.

@cushman5279 perhaps your usual 3-4 workouts a day give you an exercise high that is masking your hunger, and your hunger is revealed on days that you are more relaxed. Eat more every day and problem solved.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

So eating 1,229 calories yesterday and logging a burn of 1,018 looks fine to you? Are you high?

And yes Cushman, when I don't *properly* fuel my body ... I get hungry. It doesn't matter where I am at.

We need a separate flag for "this poster told the truth and I did not like it," I see.

Anyway. I do get very hungry at the beach, and after the pool. Maybe because the time of day is when I usually begin eating anyway (as opposed to early in the morning after a run), it just feels like I'm hungrier than I get when I do cardio on land.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

maybe the heat is drying out the food and making it less calorie dense? that must be the answer..it can't be that OP nets 1200 calories a day..

Nets 1,200? You mean nets maybe 200 on a good day. She net -78 on Wednesday. And 211 yesterday. *sigh*
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think this post may be a cry for help. OP, I read in another thread you were going to see a Dr. Did that happen?
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the obvious as it has already been covered in this thread and a previous one...

My mum would've said it was the sea air. Good for your appetite (according to her!) and maybe there's something in it - I'm always ravenous by early evening if I've spent the day at the coast. :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Okay seriously?
    Let's assume for the purpose of this post that my diary is normal and that this wasn't a previous topic.
    *ahem*

So... I am wondering what it could be. Maybe the sun? or the heat? It's just funny to me is all.

But we can't assume that. Your diary is not normal (I mean, it's normal for a chronic undereater). You are barely eating enough food to cover your exercise burns which is leaving nothing to power your normal bodily functions.