Fed up of dieting...want to start enjoying

Options

Replies

• KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Today I had homemade crepes and strawberry filling (strawberries and sugar warmed up and mashed) for brunch, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and cherries for dinner, and a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. I'm very full and satisfied and it was all delicious!

And I'm still under 1000 calories.

It's about portion control, not dieting. Don't worry about avoiding foods because they're "bad for you." Sure, some things don't lead to a healthy lifestyle, but having sugary or fatty foods in moderate amounts isn't going to kill you.

We're all going to die someday, so don't make yourself miserable. But, at the same time, I'm so much happier when I'm healthy.

Eating well is hard, being overweight is hard... chose your hard.

I don't want to derail this thread, but you're eating more than 1000 calories a day, right?

I like what you're saying and I agree with that one exception.

Yes! I eat much more than that. My point was just that it's possible to eat good food and be full and happy and still watch your calories!
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »
    Today I had homemade crepes and strawberry filling (strawberries and sugar warmed up and mashed) for brunch, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and cherries for dinner, and a piece of dark chocolate for dessert. I'm very full and satisfied and it was all delicious!

It's about portion control, not dieting. Don't worry about avoiding foods because they're "bad for you." Sure, some things don't lead to a healthy lifestyle, but having sugary or fatty foods in moderate amounts isn't going to kill you.

We're all going to die someday, so don't make yourself miserable. But, at the same time, I'm so much happier when I'm healthy.

That's fine for you, but not enough volume of food for most people. You are way over simplifying.

Except that it really is that simple.

Only it's not, not for everyone. Simple in theory, maybe, but not in practice. Every person is different. Emotional eating, hormonal changes, complex biochemistry in everyone that is different...eating "in moderation" and changing your mindset and behaviors can be FAR from simple for many people.

Honey, I have depression, an anxiety disorder, and ptsd. I wrote the book on emotional eating. I never said it was easy... in fact I said EATING WELL IS HARD, BEING OVERWEIGHT IS HARD... chose your hard.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I don't want to derail this thread, but you're eating more than 1000 calories a day, right?

I like what you're saying and I agree with that one exception.

Yes! I eat much more than that. My point was just that it's possible to eat good food and be full and happy and still watch your calories!

I think everyone is way too hungry today.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »

Not trying to nit pick but this doesn't look exactly accurate--an average 4oz serving of meatloaf is close to 300 calories, so 600 and crepes are around 150 each, so 300, and a generic serving of mashed potatoes is 200. You are already at 1100. Then your fruit and sugar so probably eating more than you think.

I think the OP's point is that she cant eat as freely as she wants--a single piece of coffee cake throws a 1200 calorie day way off. It is hard to stay under 1200 without sticking to foods that give you a lot of bang for your buck on the volume to calorie ratio.

You can go look at my diary and recipes if you like (not sure if you can see recipes?) each of my servings of meatloaf is 95 calories based on the ingredients I use and I ate 3 of them which is 285 calories, and my mashed potatoes with milk and butter was 203 calories and was still a good helping. My crepes were 103 calories a piece and I ate three of them, and my strawberries and sugar was 80 calories. My cherries were 37 calories, and the dark chocolate piece was 42 calories. All of that equals 955 calories.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

What exactly is "3 servings" of meatloaf? unless you cloned that meatloaf, shouldn't you weigh each slice and log it in grams? 50g of extra lean ground beef is 90 calories roughly, and that is a small serving, it would probably take 2-3 of those to make a skinny slice of meatloaf. 270 calories per slice.

you did the same thing with your mashed potatos. How much is a serving? how many grams?

I used a recipe. I made 6 servings of meatloaf (cupcakes!) and weighed to make sure they were equal (70 grams each) and ate 3 of them. I made the mashed potatoes and weighed them and then scooped out exactly half of that weight. I believe it was 153 grams.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    oh... and I weighed each of the ingredients in both recipes (as well as my crepe recipe) as I went. Everything is accurate to the gram.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

What exactly is "3 servings" of meatloaf? unless you cloned that meatloaf, shouldn't you weigh each slice and log it in grams? 50g of extra lean ground beef is 90 calories roughly, and that is a small serving, it would probably take 2-3 of those to make a skinny slice of meatloaf. 270 calories per slice.

you did the same thing with your mashed potatos. How much is a serving? how many grams?

Many of my recipes are listed as servings. I know how many grams are in a serving. When I put it on my plate I put the correct number of grams even though that doesn't show up in my log.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    oh... and I weighed each of the ingredients in both recipes (as well as my crepe recipe) as I went. Everything is accurate to the gram.

You go girl. I need that kind of commitment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    If you're tired of "dieting" then your approach is wrong. You should be looking forward to enjoying what you eat to extent and not just doing it to fulfill some type of programmed eating to lose weight.
    The formula hasn't changed for weight loss. Calories in/calories out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're tired of "dieting" then your approach is wrong. You should be looking forward to enjoying what you eat to extent and not just doing it to fulfill some type of programmed eating to lose weight.
    The formula hasn't changed for weight loss. Calories in/calories out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well said.
  • Annie_01
    Options

I used a recipe. I made 6 servings of meatloaf (cupcakes!) and weighed to make sure they were equal (70 grams each) and ate 3 of them. I made the mashed potatoes and weighed them and then scooped out exactly half of that weight. I believe it was 153 grams.

I do the same thing when I make muffins or burgers. On my log it will show up as 1 or 2 muffins...1 burger. It was all weighed as I made them.

• KateSimpson17
    Options
    Well as long as you are sure you are being accurate, although its going to be hard for people to help you if one day you need it because they wont be able to see that in your logging and will assume you don't know what you are consuming and eating more then you think you are.

My diary and logging are for me, I don't mind other people looking at them, but that's how recipes are logged. There's nothing I can do about that. I weigh every single thing I put in my mouth unless I just don't have access to a scale, I am EXTREMELY accurate. I don't really need help as far as what I eat, and if I decided that I needed help I would probably mention in my post that "servings" are either based off a recipe or something actually weighed exactly what the serving size says.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Well as long as you are sure you are being accurate, although its going to be hard for people to help you if one day you need it because they wont be able to see that in your logging and will assume you don't know what you are consuming and eating more then you think you are.

My diary and logging are for me, I don't mind other people looking at them, but that's how recipes are logged. There's nothing I can do about that. I weigh every single thing I put in my mouth unless I just don't have access to a scale, I am EXTREMELY accurate. I don't really need help as far as what I eat, and if I decided that I needed help I would probably mention in my post that "servings" are either based off a recipe or something actually weighed exactly what the serving size says.

Sorry but 3 servings of 'sweet crepes with strawberry filling' has way more than 309 calories and 39 grams of carbs.

Same goes for meatloaf. 3 servings for 284 calories? I don't think so.

• KateSimpson17
    Options

Sorry but 3 servings of 'sweet crepes with strawberry filling' has way more than 309 calories and 39 grams of carbs.

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of my comments? I guarantee all of that is completely accurate.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of my comments? I guarantee all of that is completely accurate.

Do you mind sending the recipes for the crepes and meatloaf you made?
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I'm going to second this. Those crepes sound so good. I would love to make them!

Also @kateyb94 , my logging looks the way I'm sure yours looks as well. My lunch might say "chicken parm - 1 serving", but in reality, I know each "serving" was 3 oz of chicken, 2 Tbsp marinara sauce and 1 oz cheese.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

Sure:
    Meatloaf: 6 servings (I ate 3)
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot
    46 gram egg (a medium sized egg)
    40 grams bread crumbs (Great value whole wheat)
    a little garlic, salt, and pepper (not enough to even show up on the scale)

Potatoes: 2 servings (I ate 1)
    231 grams potatoes
    23 grams butter (about 2 tbs)
    1/3 cup 1% milk
    plus a little salt and garlic for flavor

Crepes: 4 servings (I ate 3 because I burned one)
    62 grams enriched wheat flour
    49 gram egg (medium sized egg)
    1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar
  • Annie_01
    Options

My meatloaf muffins are 98 calories each. That would be 294 calories for 3. I use ground turkey instead of ground beef.