Fed up of dieting...want to start enjoying

Options

Replies

• KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    oh and the strawberry filling stuff:
    111 grams strawberries (like 5 or 6 medium ones I think)
    11 grams of raw sugar
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy these kinds of threads. I feel the same way that the original poster does. Sometimes you just wanna put the devices away and have confidence in your own skills that you'll eat like you got some sense. Maybe I'm a little too tightly wound, but I really like to know whats on my plate. Knowing what's on your plate helps you manage intake. So wouldn't it be nice to just heap up a plate and not do a quick add of calories in your head?

What bothers me when I go 'offline' is that I don't know what's on my plate. I'd feel better if I grew my own food, prepared it myself, and had something to measure it with. But sometimes we end up at chain restaurants and we don't know if our food is even prepared consistently from place to place. Ok, now that I wrote that I really sound like a control freak...
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've just gotten so used to it, it doesn't bother me. With tracking exercise and food I can plan for and account for treats and I'm really not as hungry as I was when I started.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Well as long as you are sure you are being accurate, although its going to be hard for people to help you if one day you need it because they wont be able to see that in your logging and will assume you don't know what you are consuming and eating more then you think you are.

My diary and logging are for me, I don't mind other people looking at them, but that's how recipes are logged. There's nothing I can do about that. I weigh every single thing I put in my mouth unless I just don't have access to a scale, I am EXTREMELY accurate. I don't really need help as far as what I eat, and if I decided that I needed help I would probably mention in my post that "servings" are either based off a recipe or something actually weighed exactly what the serving size says.

Sorry but 3 servings of 'sweet crepes with strawberry filling' has way more than 309 calories and 39 grams of carbs.

Same goes for meatloaf. 3 servings for 284 calories? I don't think so.

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of my comments? I guarantee all of that is completely accurate.

You're not giving anyone anything to complain about! Shame on you for being so accurate!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Well as long as you are sure you are being accurate, although its going to be hard for people to help you if one day you need it because they wont be able to see that in your logging and will assume you don't know what you are consuming and eating more then you think you are.

My diary and logging are for me, I don't mind other people looking at them, but that's how recipes are logged. There's nothing I can do about that. I weigh every single thing I put in my mouth unless I just don't have access to a scale, I am EXTREMELY accurate. I don't really need help as far as what I eat, and if I decided that I needed help I would probably mention in my post that "servings" are either based off a recipe or something actually weighed exactly what the serving size says.

Sorry but 3 servings of 'sweet crepes with strawberry filling' has way more than 309 calories and 39 grams of carbs.

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of my comments? I guarantee all of that is completely accurate.

Do you mind sending the recipes for the crepes and meatloaf you made?

Sure:
    Meatloaf: 6 servings (I ate 3)
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot
    46 gram egg (a medium sized egg)
    40 grams bread crumbs (Great value whole wheat)
    a little garlic, salt, and pepper (not enough to even show up on the scale)

Potatoes: 2 servings (I ate 1)
    231 grams potatoes
    23 grams butter (about 2 tbs)
    1/3 cup 1% milk
    plus a little salt and garlic for flavor

Crepes: 4 servings (I ate 3 because I burned one)
    62 grams enriched wheat flour
    49 gram egg (medium sized egg)
    1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Thanks for the recipes! The calorie counts are more believable after seeing the recipes. Each serving is obviously on the small side.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options

I do that too, and then the entire day just has the names of a recipe for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I trust my recipes.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Thanks for the recipes! The calorie counts are more believable after seeing the recipes. Each serving is obviously on the small side.

If you think those servings are small then you probably have a very skewed view of how much you should be eating. I can't see how anyone could eat more than 3 crepes with filling. The meatloaf was a total of 210 grams, and the potatoes were about 153 grams. Of course, I ate some other things for dessert... but I honestly wouldn't have eaten more than that even when I wasn't trying to lose weight.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

If you think those servings are small then you probably have a very skewed view of how much you should be eating. I can't see how anyone could eat more than 3 crepes with filling. The meatloaf was a total of 210 grams, and the potatoes were about 153 grams. Of course, I ate some other things for dessert... but I honestly wouldn't have eaten more than that even when I wasn't trying to lose weight.

I've been to church potlucks where people piled their plates a good four inches tall TWICE and then ate dessert. Of course they are all obese. It can be done.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Next time, make pictures of the yummies! I need to see them *licks lips* :love:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

I have a whole wheat pancake that I make for 77 calories. I can eat 3 of those plus some caramelized bananas on top for about 300 calories. Add a 1/4 cup of lite syrup and I am good to go!

• KateSimpson17
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Next time, make pictures of the yummies! I need to see them *licks lips* :love:

haha, I have some leftovers of the meatloaf and potatoes, I'll take some pictures when I eat them!
  • Annie_01
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

I only eat 2 of my meatloaf muffins at meal...it is equivalent to 4oz of meat which is a serving.

• KateSimpson17
    Options
    It may also save some calories that I don't put any topping on my meatloaf (I HATE ketchup)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    It may also save some calories that I don't put any topping on my meatloaf (I HATE ketchup)

I use tomato sauce, but neither that nor ketchup has many calories as they are mostly tomatoes and water.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Based on your diary, your diet is mainly comprised of carbs. You eat very little protein from what I can see. For example, crepes would never be satisfying or filling for me because they are made up of entirely carbs and little to no protein. You ate 3 breadsticks for dinner one night… I personally wouldn't call that a dinner. I like well-balanced meals with a similar ratio of carbs, protein, and fat.

I can make assumptions too.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Based on your diary, your diet is mainly comprised of carbs. You eat very little protein from what I can see. For example, crepes would never be satisfying or filling for me because they are made up of entirely carbs and little to no protein. You ate 3 breadsticks for dinner one night… I personally wouldn't call that a dinner. I like well-balanced meals with a similar ratio of carbs, protein, and fat.

Wow, with that attitude, please feel free to stay out of my diary :no_mouth:
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you are not enjoying what you are eating you may be on too strict a calorie allowance. Either that or you have put too many food "off limits". You can eat basically anything you want, as long as you control the portion size. Obviously 1000 calories of chocolate is not going to satisfy anything but your sweet tooth but a small piece of chocolate will not derail you plan of losing or maintaining weight. Personally, I think that is why so many "diets" fail, they cut out too many foods with the goal of "losing weight" then when you return to "normal" the weight comes back on plus more. This should be a change in lifestyle to a more healthy way of eating, not a short term "diet".
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I totally feel the OP. I really dislike having to watch what I eat. I do it because I have to, but it gets really old. "Lifestyle change"?- here is my issue with that. MY lifestyle (if it did not lead to weight gain) would be filled with donuts, cheesecake, and fried chicken. I have learned to eat veggies. I have learned to stop eating when I am no longer hungry (instead of when I am full). I have learned to make "helathy" substitutes for my favorite foods-- they do not taste as good as the real thing (EVER), but they at least keep the scale from moving up. I have learned to put off eating by drinking hot beverages that feel "filling". But ALL of this takes effort--to me, "lifestyle" implies somehow it becomes easy. As far as I am concerned, it NEVER gets easy- losing weight and keeping it off is a lot of work.
  • KateSimpson17
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

I ate 3 breadsticks for dinner because I ate a really large snack and my parents surprised me by showing up at my apartment and taking me out to dinner. (and since that's a 2 hour drive for them and they just came to fix my car I couldn't really say "no") I still had 50 grams of protein that day and my daily goal is 60.

I have balanced days and weeks, not necessarily balanced meals because dinner is often the only meal I can eat at home.

Sure, I eat carbs because they're filling, but I also eat a lot of protein throughout most days.

You also have a much higher calorie goal than I do, my protein and carbs are just about on point for the amount of calories I actually consume.

I eat things I enjoy, I am healthy and consistently losing weight. I stay under my calorie goal. I meticulously weigh every single thing I eat.

Frankly, looking at your diary I feel I would be extremely bored with your diet.

The whole point of the original post is that she doesn't like having to worry about what she eats. Dieting is awful and boring, and while I love healthy food I want people to know that you don't have to have "forbidden foods" or be restrictive to lose weight and to be healthy.
  • Annie_01
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Wow, with that attitude, please feel free to stay out of my diary :no_mouth:

People like that is why mine is private.

No one asked for a review of their diet...I guess they got one anyway.