Concert!

Options
Ok, I know this is a really weird question and it's going to be kind of difficult to answer. Next Tuesday I'm going to a Fall Out Boy concert, and I want to know how many calories I should put as my burn.
I always expel a lot of energy at concerts, and I know there's not really a way to determine exactly how many calories I will burn, but I want to get a ballpark number just to help me keep on track.
I've had people recommend I just make it a "cheat day" and not worry about it, but a "cheat day" to me implies that I'm dieting.
Anyway, anyone is free to spitball

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is already accounted for in normal daily activity. Exercise is exercise.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't log any exercise, outside of walking. Maybe just eat at maintenance that day and call it even.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    None, logging isn't about trying to figure out how many extra calories you can eat if you do such and such and activity that isn't exercise related. They are about estimates for daily averages to help guide you. Use it as a time to burn a little bonus fat if you want to think of it that way.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If ""This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race" were a bicep curl competition instead of a song, you might have something to count.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    This is already accounted for in normal daily activity. Exercise is exercise.
    I probably wouldn't log any exercise, outside of walking. Maybe just eat at maintenance that day and call it even.

These two ladies got it right.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    It is already in your daily activity level.
    And for eating, just eat a day at maintenance level

And enjoy the concert.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't know if any of you have ever been to a rock concert, but it generally involves a lot of jumping... which I would consider exercise
  • BWBTrish
    edited July 2015
    Options
    why would you assume we dont know about rock concerts? lol
    But since you have problems with the options we gave you here is another one

log 500 burned calories eat half of them back above your daily calorie allotment ( lol would be a bit the same as your maintenance level?) The outcome is still a bit the same

And i dont see the problem in all of it.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    I don't understand how that's counted in normal daily activity? This isn't a concert I'm just going to go sit and watch, it will involve a lot of jumping, dancing, etc.... all things I would count in my exercise
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    than log it as exercise a couple of hundred like i said i dont see the problem.

• BWBTrish
    Options
    log it as dancing or something
  • SLLRunner
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    I don't know if any of you have ever been to a rock concert, but it generally involves a lot of jumping... which I would consider exercise

Katey, seriously.....your fun at the concert is part of your activity daily level. Besides, based on other posts I've seen from you, I know you strive for accuracy and there is absolutely no way to get some accurate counts for jumping at a rock concert. ;)
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    None, logging isn't about trying to figure out how many extra calories you can eat if you do such and such and activity that isn't exercise related. They are about estimates for daily averages to help guide you. Use it as a time to burn a little bonus fat if you want to think of it that way.
    it is exercise related, see previous comments... I intend for it to be my cardio for the day
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Snort! NOPE, we don't have them here in America!
    Again, I would consider this already accounted for in my activity level. You asked the question and aren't liking the answer that the majority of the people on this board are going to provide. You will find people here that log cooking and cleaning as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

70 kg * 9.8m/s^2*.5m /.25 in kcal
    The .25 represents an assumption that a human jump is 25% efficient.
    This gives 0.32791587 kilocalories (dietary calories are actually KILOcalories in proper metric units). So just multiple your number of jumps by about .32, there you go, rough estimate of your calorie burn.
    Feel free to replace with your own values for mass and jump height that you feel is more appropriate, but that 9.8m/s^2 is firm.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    it is exercise related, see previous comments... I intend for it to be my cardio for the day

So why ask if you decided what to do?
    log it have fun move on.

• SLLRunner
    Options

Okay, I'm curious. Why did you post this question when clearly your mind is already made up?
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Snort! NOPE, we don't have them here in America!
    Again, I would consider this already accounted for in my activity level. You asked the question and aren't liking the answer that the majority of the people on this board are going to provide. You will find people here that log cooking and cleaning as well, I'm sure they'll be along soon.

you realize I am an American right? I only said that because of the comments that it's counted in my activity level... I am WAY more active at a concert than I would be most other days.

Also, I don't log things I do every day like cooking and cleaning. but I suppose a lot of you would say I shouldn't have logged helping my boyfriend move even though I know I burned over 1000 calories doing so.

I guess the thing I'm really concerned about is that for a 3+ hour concert full of jumping and dancing I'm afraid that I'm not going to eat ENOUGH. But at the same time I don't want to over eat in an attempt to avoid under eating. I know one day wont throw me off, but as @sllrunner said I try to be as accurate as possible which is why I'm just looking for some ballpark numbers.
  • KateSimpson17
    Options
    why would you assume we dont know about rock concerts? lol
    But since you have problems with the options we gave you here is another one

log 500 burned calories eat half of them back above your daily calorie allotment ( lol would be a bit the same as your maintenance level?) The outcome is still a bit the same

And i dont see the problem in all of it.

I like this idea... I don't actually know my maintenance level, I haven't done the math.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    White boy rap is typically negative calories. Better eat light
This discussion has been closed.