Eat everything in Moderation as dietary advice?

Options
I'm fairly new here, but have been a bit overwhelmed with all the eat everything in modération advice that is despensed regardless of dietary issues.

Are there some studies available to read that give the eat everything/moderation plan some credibility?

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    By dietary issues I assume you mean a medical issue or health concern. Should that be the case, never seen anyone advocate all things in moderation even if the individual has a defined reason to avoid certain things. So, you either miss the point regarding moderation, think you are being coy by asking for studies, or are flame-baiting which is against the TOS of this site.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    I'm fairly new here, but have been a bit overwhelmed with all the eat everything in modération advice that is despensed regardless of dietary issues.

Are there some studies available to read that give the eat everything/moderation plan some credibility?

I gave never seen that advice 'dispensed regardless of dietary issues'. Could you post some links to this in other threads?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    By dietary issues I assume you mean a medical issue or health concern. Should that be the case, never seen anyone advocate all things in moderation even if the individual has a defined reason to avoid certain things. So, you either miss the point regarding moderation, think you are being coy by asking for studies, or are flame-baiting which is against the TOS of this site.

exactly.

if you have a medical condition, you need to speak to your doctors and dieticians regarding your diet, not a bunch of internet strangers.

if however, you re NOT a special snowflake (and you probably aren't) then yes, you can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight. I'm down 60 pounds eating pizza, fast food, beer, and chocolate on a pretty regular basis.

calories in... calories out. its science. it works.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is, for many people, the easiest way to lose weight because they learn to portion-control their favorite things and don't feel like they have to cut it out completely. But if you are, for instance, lactose intolerant no one's going to force-feed you cheese unless you take a couple Lactaids and that's what you want.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, I'm eating everything I want to eat in moderation and I'm losing weight. That's all the credibility I need.

Try it. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't work for you, keep trying different things until you find something that's sustainable in the long run that does work for you.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think it's everything in moderation, if "moderation" can be defined in this context to be within your calorie alotment that you've determined to be appropriate for weight loss. I find that portion size is the demon that caused me to gain weight, even though I always ate "clean". Like the previous poster who lost 60 lbs eating whatever, I feel that "calories in vs calories out" is the key to moderation. Your moderation and mine may be very different!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Yep, this x 1000^^^
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    No one ever advocates for moderation in spite of medical concerns/dietary concerns.

I have celiac disease. No one has ever suggested that I moderate my intake of pizza. The advice to moderate is always in line with an individuals specific needs/goals.

Unless... umayster, you're not conflating medical risk with medical certainty, are you?

Surely you're aware that prohibitions from the medical community (and wider held general feeling) based on risk factors related to food issues, for the most part, are related to studies don't show direct causal links ... or from animal studies based on gross overconsumption beyond what would be considered moderate?

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz studies? I heard it all.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Based on their replies in other threads, I am going to say it is this one.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Then you should report the OP for ignoring the TOS
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you are a food addict or not. Everything in moderation is ok if you have the discipline not to eat the rest of it. This will not work if you are addicted to what you eat. Its like giving up cigarettes. alcohol or drugs. The same cravings will apply. Non food addicts just dont get that people can be food addicts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I don't have a medical issue like diabetes, PCOS, or celiac, but I'm increasingly sensitive to sugar, so my personal definition of moderation wouldn't be the same as many other posters here. I don't feel sugar-deprived, so feel that I am being moderate, but wouldn't be compared to the "I eat ice cream every day" crowd. For me, a moderate amount of ice cream is having 4 ounces once or twice per month.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    yes! Eat all the things!! Just not the whole bag/container/tub of all the things ;) Also, don't eat anything you're allergic to.....you need others to confirm that one?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Please be more specific with what you mean by dietary issues.

I think the proof is in the success stories of people who eat all the foods they love and are losing weight, or have lost weight and are able to maintain.

Weight loss and management is not about food restriction, it is about calorie restriction.

Anything outside of calorie restriction is either to follow a diet based on medical issues (your doctor told you to follow said diet) or preference.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    KateKyi wrote: »
    It depends on if you are a food addict or not. Everything in moderation is ok if you have the discipline not to eat the rest of it. This will not work if you are addicted to what you eat. Its like giving up cigarettes. alcohol or drugs. The same cravings will apply. Non food addicts just dont get that people can be food addicts.

Do you mean binge eater? If not, how's it possible to be addicted to food?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I'm guess this.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Then you should report the OP for ignoring the TOS

I'd say this is the best option....
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone posting about disregarding health issues and eating everything 'in moderation' regardless.

Moderation is subjective and something you personally have to control. My moderation may be to only eat 1 slice of cheese pizza. Another person's idea of moderations is to eat 4 slices and skip the soda.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

The concept is energy balance. If you take in less energy that you release, then you will lose weight. That's the first law of thermodynamics. no additional research needed.

So as long as you're eating less than you burn, you'll lose weight, regardless of what you eat. Most people find it the most enjoyable to include all the things they like to eat into their diet, in moderation, to reduce cravings and binges. again, they'll lose weight as long as they are in a caloric deficit.

If you do it this way, I highly recommend you don't completely neglect your health. Make sure the majority of the food you eat is from nutrient dense sources, and fit in the less nutritious foods in small amounts. I also recommend you avoid trans fats completely.

if you're looking to have a certain body composition, more muscular or toned for example, then things are slightly more complicated and you need to pay attention to your macro nutrient ratios as well as training routine.
This discussion has been closed.