Eat everything in Moderation as dietary advice?

Options

Replies

• czymom123
    czymom123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In addition, you would not tell an alcoholic that they can drink in moderation. Not everyone will have an issue with eating in moderation, but some do. Doesn't hurt to recognize that.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    czymom123 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, EIM to me is a crock. At the very least, it is not for everyone. Having lost 80 pounds, I realize there are certain things I NEED to stay away from. How do I know this? Because I ate everything in moderation all the way up 15 pounds! How? Simply put, some things overweight people eat are never going to be in moderation. I love candy. Particularly Reese's cups and Mike and Ikes. I have an issue eating those and just chilling till my next healthy meal. It triggers me. I know it's a trigger. This is why I choose not to eat them. Additionally, is there a lot of nutritional value in that candy? No, there is not. So why even go there? This is simply MY opinion. I do not believe everyone is like me. But if you are like me, you may want to consider that there are foods you should avoid.

IMO..."eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat every food that is out there known to mankind. If there is a food that you struggle with...then don't eat it. There are several foods that I used to eat that I no longer do because I just can't seem to moderate them. I did however replace them other foods that I could.

My definition of "eating in moderation" is not eliminating any food group. Also "eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat them every day/week/month. I like ice cream bars...I only eat them a couple of times a month. Love pizza...I stick to 2 slices twice a month. Reduced fat Cheezits...I have to leave on the shelf...I eat the whole box. Just because I leave them on the shelf doesn't mean that I can't center my diet around "eating in moderation".

Well said. I call it flexible dieting...
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, EIM to me is a crock. At the very least, it is not for everyone. Having lost 80 pounds, I realize there are certain things I NEED to stay away from. How do I know this? Because I ate everything in moderation all the way up 15 pounds! How? Simply put, some things overweight people eat are never going to be in moderation. I love candy. Particularly Reese's cups and Mike and Ikes. I have an issue eating those and just chilling till my next healthy meal. It triggers me. I know it's a trigger. This is why I choose not to eat them. Additionally, is there a lot of nutritional value in that candy? No, there is not. So why even go there? This is simply MY opinion. I do not believe everyone is like me. But if you are like me, you may want to consider that there are foods you should avoid.

But that's not eating in moderation... *blinks*

That's the point - trying to eat "in moderation" leads many people straight to binging.

Not everybody, not even most people, but definitely a large enough proportion that "eat in moderation" doesn't work as blanket advice IRL.

Someone gives advice that works for a majority of people. A person who takes said advice doesn't do the advice correctly. Who is at fault... the advice or the person?

It's not a matter of fault, it's a matter of approach.

Some diet strategies work better than others for individuals. Everything-in-moderation is often referred to like it's the goal -- it's not -- managing your weight is the goal. Reaching that goal using elimination, moderation or some combination of both all work and work really well depending on the person. There's nothing proving one strategy is more effective or sustainable than another -- there's no OneTrueWay™.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    In addition, you would not tell an alcoholic that they can drink in moderation. Not everyone will have an issue with eating in moderation, but some do. Doesn't hurt to recognize that.

See the multiple earlier posts about diseases ... just as your earlier claim that you ate in moderation until you gained 15 pounds, this one is flawed.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

That's a bit of a straw man argument....
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's the point - trying to eat "in moderation" leads many people straight to binging.

Not everybody, not even most people, but definitely a large enough proportion that "eat in moderation" doesn't work as blanket advice IRL.

Right, that's my understanding and experience as well.

How's that??

When I avoid something I really want, that's when I binged on it, instead of learning moderation. At the beginning of my weight loss I avoided foods like ice cream, cookies, etc (because they wouldn't fit into my 1200 cals days, thank god I don't do that anymore). I then would binged on them, now I make them fit if I want them and no longer binge on them and it's more sustainable and been maintaining now for 10 months now.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No, it's not a scientific thing. Some people include junk food because if they didn't, they would binge eat it. Others consider it necessary for their mental health. Others just don't want to stop eating yummy foods that they like. All of it is valid.

It's entirely possible to lose weight eating funnel cakes and Oreos, but it's also possible to lose weight without them.

It's just a personal choice.

When did thermodynamics cease being a scientific thing?
    What are you talking about?

In what way does that apply to what I said? By what bizarre stretching of twisted logic did you come up with that question?
  • czymom123
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    I'm fairly new here, but have been a bit overwhelmed with all the eat everything in modération advice that is despensed regardless of dietary issues.

Are there some studies available to read that give the eat everything/moderation plan some credibility?

Have there been any studies or articles posted on the credibility of eating everything in moderation?
    If you have not posted verified studies and simply your own opinion or experience, then why would you be so invested someone else's opinion or experience?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

No one is saying that there may be certain foods that people can not moderate. Those foods...at least for a while...should be avoided until you can.

I have had to reduce my sodium intake due to BP issues. There just are certain foods that I can not eat...there is no moderation for those foods with me.

Each of us will have those foods...for whatever reason...that we feel or need to eliminate.

• czymom123
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Looks like some of are as saying similar things, just in different ways.

• galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm fairly new here, but have been a bit overwhelmed with all the eat everything in modération advice that is despensed regardless of dietary issues.

Are there some studies available to read that give the eat everything/moderation plan some credibility?

Have there been any studies or articles posted on the credibility of eating everything in moderation?
    If you have not posted verified studies and simply your own opinion or experience, then why would you be so invested someone else's opinion or experience?

The credibility of energy balance is what matters. How you get there with your diet doesn't matter. You can do keto, Atkins, paleo, low fat, low carb, Twinkie diet, or eating in moderation. All of those will result in weight loss if the person is in a caloric deficit. The only diet which is better than the rest is the one that is sustainable and meets all your nutritional needs, for most, that's flexible dieting or eating in moderation.

• Kalikel
    Options

Someone gives advice that works for a majority of people. A person who takes said advice doesn't do the advice correctly. Who is at fault... the advice or the person?
    Nobody. Nobody is at fault.

What works for one person may not work for another. Different diet strategies do not make one person better or more successful than another.

Some people eat "in moderation" because if they don't, they will binge. That's how they stop themselves from binging. There are also people who eliminate HoHos to stop themselves from binging. Either way, these people have found a way to stop themselves from binging. Yay.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have been here for over 3 years, and have lost over 160 pounds, and have been on maintenance for 20 months. My experience has been to not limit anything from my diet and my success has come from moderation in everything I eat and drink and limiting the number of calories I consume daily. No more overeating calories, day after day, week after week, year after year. Moderation and portion size is something I learned here, and it is working. It will work for most people with no health issues and takes self control. If I can do it (I'll be 64 in September), most anyone can. You can use excuses for why it won't, or doesn't work, but that is just an excuse. If you want it, more than you want to overeat, it WILL happen.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options

You can only really say what works for you. Well, some of you may be personal trainers and directly helped others... but the majority have only their own successes and failures. I find it interesting that noone wants to hear another's truth about themself without being argumentative. Hey, I've lost 50lbs since feb. Maybe my approach is best... maybe not. I read Atkins. I am just learning the CICO and move more approaches. Noone wants to give credit for their viewpoints on here. The majority answer is THE only answer. It seems like safety in numbers is the way to go. I think I'll let y'all have the community boards. I hate learning in a hostile environment. OP do what You and YOUR doctor thinks best.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

This is what I am trying to figure out. Over the long term does moderation work for 1 out of 10 or 4/10 or 9/10? Does this information exist?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

This is what I am trying to figure out. Over the long term does moderation work for 1 out of 10 or 4/10 or 9/10? Does this information exist?

The numbers are awful - truly awful - for all approaches.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    No, it's not a scientific thing. Some people include junk food because if they didn't, they would binge eat it. Others consider it necessary for their mental health. Others just don't want to stop eating yummy foods that they like. All of it is valid.

It's entirely possible to lose weight eating funnel cakes and Oreos, but it's also possible to lose weight without them.

In what way does that apply to what I said? By what bizarre stretching of twisted logic did you come up with that question?

Oh ... the irony.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it and see if it work for you and if it does, does it really matter if it works for anybody else?
  • Kalikel
    Options

Oh ... the irony.

That's what I thought.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Here you go OP:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11883916

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10336790
This discussion has been closed.