WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon!

DH and I both had a horrible night's sleep! He was awake with irritable bowel and I was just awake so decamped to the spare room where I read my new book about our development from a fertilised egg. :bigsmile: I think he had the IB because he spent all day glued to the cricket scores when England were losing badly to Australia. It REALLY upsets him, but he can't tear himself away. I can't imagine getting that worked up over a sport, but no doubt some of you can.
    Anyway, now he's gone off to watch Hampshire play.

Before he left we Skyped the DGC. Marvellous! DGS has really got the hang of chatting to us now, but DGD is still a bit flummoxed. She did recognise us though and said "Granny!" in a delighted manner. Ahhhhhhhhh! <3 DGS was telling us about his celebration and "graduation" from nursery. What is the world coming to? ! ? ! I am posting a photo DDIL sent me of him and a friend at the ceremony. :laugh:

0t5qph90x6zg.png

Then I dropped DH off and went to buy some euros as they've suddenly plunged in value. Didn't get loads as we don't know what will happen by December, but we're hedging our bets by buying some. Will keep an eye on it.
    Bought squid and prawns for lunch (300 cals) and lots of other yummy things for the freezer.

Sooooooooo happy we spoke to the grandchildren. :p
    Got the day to myself. I will be making skinnytaste.com Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie for dinner. We have double portions with a tomato salad as it's so low in calories. The last third makes a great sandwich each the following day. It's not really a pie, but more like a savoury cake. We love it. You do need quite a lot of dill for the best flavour.
    Any new people ought to check out the website for tasty, low cal meals of all different types.

I'm going to relax with a slimming magazine before I get on with anything. Done my exercises. :bigsmile:

Carol - so sorry about your money worries. I know what that's like. I used to live hand to mouth when I was single and that certainly kept me awake at night. :cry:

Sylvia - hope your injuries are improving. It certainly sounds as if dog walking is a very dangerous sport! ! ! ! !

Lisa - hang on in there! Sounds like you're doing a great job! :flowerforyou: You should be on TV. LISA'S FAST FOOD NIGHTMARES. :laugh:

Love, Heather x x x. X x UK
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    My dd had a "graduation " from preschool. She had a pink cap and gown.

I an very stressed over ds. We recently figured out he has depression and anxiety. Which has frozen him. He has psoriatic arthritis since he was 16, and depends on enbrel, never wanted to get his drivers license and has his bs in accounting. He is working with voc rehab to help him. They recommended a counselor . My dh and I met with the counselor and so we are still learning to parent when ds is 24.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning!

Heather, the boys are so cute. I love sea food and wish I was able to get more but it's very expensive here. Had some snow crab legs Friday night and was so disappointed because there was too much work and too little crab. Wish I could splurge on King Crab.

Went to garage sales with hubby yesterday and actually found some vintage jewelry pieces (which I collect and sell). It got me out of the house and moving which I need to do more of.

NC Carol ~ I've been there done that concerning money and really feel for you. I used to have to take a calculator with me when grocery shopping so I knew how much I was able to buy. So glad that time seems to be over.

Got to get moving,

Carol/Peach

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Gawworthington - I too have an older son with severe depression. His side effect is weight gain. It took him a long time to find a medication that doesn't make him feel like a zombie. It is hard seeing what they are going through, but my son lives quite a way away so I don't have to witness his distress very often. His work company have been brilliant and are paying for more therapy. I do worry about him, but he is now a grown man of 38 and only he can sort himself out. I suffered from severe depression myself on and off for many years and it runs in my family. His father, my ex, currently has depression too. In the end it comes down to learning how to manage it and avoiding triggers. Like overeating, there is no "cure", only strategies for living a more stable life.
    I wish you strength to deal with the challenges and the wisdom to be able to accept the things we cannot change. :flowerforyou:
    I think it was you who were talking about foot problems. I have found Amazon has a lot of inserts which are not expensive snd you can resd the reviews. Most orthotics do require you to remove the insole of your own shoes and the styles you can wear are very limited. I have found on amazon.uk a small insert that you wear on elastic around your foot that have literally changed my life. No more foot pain and I can wear almost any shoe. They are called Pro 11 soft . . . (Can't remember the name ) but they only cost around £2 + postage. I wear them all the time, including in slippers.

Love Heather x x x x
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Jane and hubby

Thanks Barbie - I would like to be "obsessed" again.

The sugar has taken a big toll on me... I have headaches, my legs really hurt and I am uncomfortable. So I will be getting back into control this week. I have total control of everything I will be eating this week.
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Lillian, I don’t even know what to say but have a good day.

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Ha ha .lol... you are supposed to say "Stop eating the birthday cake, there are 35 + people at the party and no one is going to know or care whether you have any cake or not"

I need a swift kick!!!

Lillian
    in west Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Michelle - we still have 3 chest freezers. One being stored in our rental house and two in our own basement. They are only 1/3 full. I wanted the upright freezer so I can find everything and do away with one of the chest freezers. We will see how that goes.

Lillian
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have lived a lifetime with depression. Therapy is not always helpful at all- it depends on if the therapist is actually TEACHING skills, or just listening as the client talks about how awful life is. That handholding therapy just makes the depression worse since the focus is on the depression and not how to live a good life. Cognitive therapy (sometimes called cognitive behavioral therapy) is the best. I became a mental health advocate after seeing how the mental health treatment system actually made people worse. Many therapists don't believe that their clients can get better, yet the biggest predictor for success in treatment is whether the therapist believes the client can get better! The therapist's belief in recovery is more important than the amount of time spent in therapy, the frequency of therapy, the educational level of the therapist, etc.

Peer support (a trained person who also has problems with depression) is VERY effective. One place to get peer support is from the Depression Bipolar Support Alliance. They have meetings for support, educational material, and also online support groups. I was living in Chicago when this group first was founded, in the late 70s, and was so helped by it that I started a chapter in Idaho when I lived there.
    http://www.dbsalliance.org/

Anyone that wants more information can email me at Miriam at netins.net.
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone.

Good thing I got up early to catch up on posts. DGD is awake and ready to go !! Her parents came in about 3 a.m. so hopefully they can get some sleep before she discovers them.

DGS's birthday party went off very well. The rain stayed away long enough for the bbq and everyone could be outside .... 35+ people wouldn't have fit into their small house anyway.

More rain ...Yeah!!

Later everyone - Need to make breakfast for DGD and I

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks heather. His counselor recommend a book called feeling good. I bought two copies one for my dh and I to read and 1 for ds. He spends too much time with video games and talks to his friends on skype. Aspergers has been brought up. But I don't think so.

I will look for the orthotics Amazon us.

On another note. I was looking back on my wii fit records and I am very close to what I weighed when I got sick in 2013 and before my car accident that caused me to quit exercising. It took the md's 18 months to figure out what was wrong and two simple surgeries to fix it. Started the rode to recovery with better eating and exercise in April with 130 lbs to lose. Which seemed like a huge number in April. Now 95 lbs to lose and it seems doable with your support!!!
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Miriam ~ very good information.

Carol/Peach
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Good Morning my friends,

Sylvia, I’m glad your fall wasn’t worse! And congrats on your NSV of getting up by yourself. People that have never had the problem don’t realize what it is like to be in that position. Isn’t it wonderful what losing a few pounds can do? oh.gifTake care of yourself and tell those dogs to take it easy.

Michele NC, you and Vince have been in my thoughts and prayers. I’m glad he got to come home and sleep in his own bed. Yes, I do believe you are obsessed, too. With all you have going on, you haven’t let up on your exercise. cheer.gif Very impressive!!! Take care of you and Vince. ((((Hugs))))

Joyce, I’m glad that was a typo on the meds. I think $1300 is outrageous enough. When Charlie told you that he can do things for himself, was he complaining or simply stating a fact? It is often curious how we come to have our assigned jobs in a relationship; like one of us makes the phone calls or appointments and reservations, etc. I’m sure your song in church will be beautiful.

Renny
    , getting private time with the grands is a win win for all concerned. You enjoy that time and I do hope you all slept well last night.

Carol NC, my heart goes out to you that you have the kids there and not sure you can afford the food for them. smiley-sad040.gif The last thing you need is extra stress right now. Sending good thoughts for everything to work out. (((Hugs)))

Heather, the pic of your DGS is darling. Is a graduation gift required for such occasions? That Spinach and Feta Pie sounds yummy. I might have to check it out. You enjoy your day.

D,
    so sorry about your son. I know that has to weigh heavily on your mind. Does he live with you? Just to be sure to take care of you, while taking care of him.

Carol, I am happy that I don’t like shell fish, just because of the cost. Lol Good for you on the score of vintage jewelry.

Lillian, well I was thinking that you needed a swift kick, but I don’t want our friends here to think I enjoy kicking my friends. You know that I only do it out of love so here goes. For heaven’s sake, Lil, Back Away From The Cake!!! You know it will only give you a moment’s satisfaction and cause much more harm than pleasure. Get a Grip On Yourself!!! Turn around an bend slightly at the waist: smiley-devil16.gif Now don’t make me do that again. Straighten up and do what’s right for yourself. You can do this!! You know I’m going to beat you this month and then you will owe me $10,000. Or was it $100,000? I do hope today is a better day.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    Yesterday was exhausting for me with an all-day seminar. I slept well last night but getting a slow start this morning. I hope you all have a wonderful day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good morning! I woke up a little sore, but not too bad, considering my scrapes from falling last night. After breakfast I walked 3 miles in spite of the heat - 87 degrees, and the humidity - 76%. By the time I got back I was really dripping with sweat. I bought a set of Bluetooth headphones recently and this was the first time I really tried them. Yesterday I spent a little while trying to figure out how to use them and connect them to my smartphone, but once I figured it out it seemed easy enough. I even took a phone call using them (hubby called to see if I was ok) and that worked well too. These were really cheap ones that I got off amazon($17) and the teeny tiny instruction sheet was written by someone whose first language was NOT English, so it was a little hard to figure out. But I think I'm going to love them. It's really nice not to have that long cord that catches on my thumbs as I swing my arms. They don't fit very snugly in my ears though, so I'm not sure if they will work as well when I start jogging. And I AM going to start jogging someday very soon.

Edited: this thing cut off the rest of my post. It seems to happen after I use a smiley from my iPad keyboard instead of the mfp pull-down. Anybody else have that happen?

Have a great day, everyone!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Test...

Here is a smiley from the mfp pull-down. :D

Here is a smiley from the iPad keyboard. I will type some after it to see what shows up.
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Yup, it cut off everything after the iPad smiley. Interesting.
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday...

Not caught up but I need to stop reading and start moving. I'm only on page 46 but will pick up and finish later. Welcome to everyone new.

Kate - Laughed out loud at the senior text code.

Lenora - Sorry you can't seem to get rid of that cough but glad the newer medicine seems to be working.

Pip - Thinking of you and your shoulder. Hope you heal quickly.

Alison - Glad you figured out the phone/data usage.

I got a phone call today from Kohls and apparently someone has hacked into my online account and ordered a treadmill. Funny thing is they had it shipped to my home address. The shipping company called a couple of weeks ago and said they had a treadmill to deliver. I refused the shipment then because I had not ordered a treadmill. Kohls was very nice and are assigning an investigator. Believe it should all get worked out but now I'm going to go online and change all my passwords.

Linda/IA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Still no internet having a coffee black at MacDonald's to give myself a chance to check in.

Sylvia so sorry about your fall. Not something anyone needs especially after the accident you just had. Just read your post today. WTG to pick yourself back up.((()))

Michele so glad they got Vince on the road to recovery. I am like Vince get me out of the hospital as quick as you can. Sounds like you are making sure you are taking care of yourself. ((()))

Lisa I would be tired too. Glad you could get your rest.

Carol ((()))

Heather your grandchildren pictures always put a smile on my face.

gawworthing We are also trying to figure out what our role is with an adult son who is struggling. It is very hard for me not to want to step in to fix the problem. Unfortunately it is often counterproductive. I had a wonderful talk with his social worker about natural consequences both good and not so good as ways to be my sons best teacher. Easier said than done. Prayers to you and your family. Heather I second what you said too.

Miriam thank you for that timely reminder to remind my son I believe in his ability for his life to get better.

DJ love your loving advice to Lillian. Lillian taking my cue from Miriam I know you have the strength to walk away and if you slip we are here to catch you.

Linda frustrating about the Kohl's account. Glad they are getting on top of it so quickly. Makes you wonder about some people.

Lenora hope you are feeling better today.

Still feeling the good effects from the garden tour.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • 3dtammy
    3dtammy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the group. You guys are very nice.

Barbicat thanks for the suggestion to go to bed earlier and get up earlier and walk more. I know you are right. I have a hard time doing this in the summer when it is light until 9:30pm but I normally love to get up early otherwise. I will work on it. I think this is really key to being healthy.

JanetMMcC thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your recent victory on the scale and life skills. I was wondering what you net calories is if you don't mind sharing? I have swapped out most white carbs for brown but not all and still struggle with sugar. I went two years without it and lost 25 pounds but then decided to have some in moderation and spent the next two years making up for lost time (sugar) and gained it all back.

No walk for me today. Taking a Sunday break. Plus it's going to be 100+ here today. Going to Killer Burger in Bingen Washington with my daughter and her boyfriend. Planning on having a PEANUT BUTTER PICKLE BURGER. It's a once a year splurge. Will be back on low carb, low calorie immediately after.

Have a great day all and thanks again for welcoming me here.

Tammy
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    DamitJanit wrote: »

Lillian, I don’t even know what to say but have a good day.

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Ha ha .lol... you are supposed to say "Stop eating the birthday cake, there are 35 + people at the party and no one is going to know or care whether you have any cake or not"

I need a swift kick!!!

Lillian
    in west Central Saskatchewan

lolololol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
    hey there peeps-

i am reading/skimming thru all the posts but sorry, no energy to reply to each the way i would like, i'm sure you understand. yesterday, my head was just extra dizzy, so no riding to the restaurant, i drove (he was drinking and i would rather drive, i was good driving slow, no prob) it's a free meal that we had to use that day. don't want to give up free food!!

to who fell, whippet? i think it was you? victory on getting up by yourself! bummer u had to fall in the first place, damn dogs do it to you every time!!

i wish i had the energy and strength to take the dogs to the ocean today, the weather is PERFECT for it! with this shoulder and head, i couldn't do it.

when we were driving home a song came on that i hadn't heard in awhile by a group called the CURE, song name JUST LIKE HEAVEN. i found that we had the cd and i am going to add it to my outside riding playlist, such a fun song.

lets see if i can get to the gym, why do i feel like i have to i ask myself. my response is always the same, cuz it's just what you do. :wink: