Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• irisgal345
    irisgal345 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Felt the need to make lunch a bento box even though I'm home on vacation. Chicken burgers, hard boiled egg, 3/4 cup rice, 1 cup steamed vegetables, cherry tomatoes, pickles and blueberries.

txlyi2t68nid.jpg
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Those chicken burgers looks scrumptious! Did you do something to add a crispy exterior? Looks crunchy and yummy.
  • irisgal345
    Options
    No crispy there, I added a touch of garlic chili paste and water to baste the burgers in. Gives them a little zip of flavor. I just mixed the ground chicken with minced garlic and grated fresh ginger before cooking. When cooked basted with the chili sauce mixture. It's one of my favorite bento proteins. I'll make a batch and freeze the patties in single servings. Then I'll pull out a pack and reheat with a sauce for added punch.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Okay @mangrothian and @SpecialKitty7 I've finally made a bento. Go easy, first attempt an all :D

6p1oqdv39hke.jpg

'Bout bloody time :p ! Looks scrumptious
    irisgal345 wrote: »
    Felt the need to make lunch a bento box even though I'm home on vacation. Chicken burgers, hard boiled egg, 3/4 cup rice, 1 cup steamed vegetables, cherry tomatoes, pickles and blueberries.

txlyi2t68nid.jpg

I agree with PixelPuff about the burgers. They look yum. Reminds me that I need to do a new batch of meatballs.
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ShortMrsN wrote: »

No, come back! We don't want you to go back to lurking anymore! Come towards the light!
    c8g8r9g9ur03.jpg
    I have to wait 3-4 weeks for my boxes to arrive :( But I will still be here.....watching.... :wink:
    Love love love all the gorgeous boxes!!

3-4 weeks? Where are you ordering them from? Antarctica?

[]
    I'm in New Zealand and they are coming from China...... via slow canoe ;)
    Hopefully I won't have to wait that long!!
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    Okay @mangrothian and @SpecialKitty7 I've finally made a bento. Go easy, first attempt an all :D

6p1oqdv39hke.jpg

'Bout bloody time :p ! Looks scrumptious

Ha, I know right! I think I was over complicating it; What box to get? Should I get those little pick things? You have no money Del seriously stop looking at the Laptop Lunch website! I've been to Dasio 3 times and haven't bought anything, is that even possible you ask?, yes sadly when it's me (I think I just got overwhelmed at all the stuff and that freaked me out because all I could hear in my head was "but @mangrothian said it was simple" lol).

In the end, I went into an Asian variety store on Saturday to buy shampoo etc and wandered over to the kitchen area, they had the above box for $7 and so I went nuts and bought 2 lol. After dropping hubby off at the airport early Sunday morning I said to myself, right defrost the chicken and pull out the sushi rice you bought 2 months ago and haven't touched yet. Volia, a first time bento-er is born.

• PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I went to the Asian market yesterday to get one of my favorites, baby cuttle fish, but they don't carry it anymore. :'( For something different, I got some small squids instead, hoping it might be similar. Says on the package they are 'cleaned' so I hope that means no ink. I just... don't know how I want to cook them yet.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I went to the Asian market yesterday to get one of my favorites, baby cuttle fish, but they don't carry it anymore. :'( For something different, I got some small squids instead, hoping it might be similar. Says on the package they are 'cleaned' so I hope that means no ink. I just... don't know how I want to cook them yet.

They shouldn't have ink, but the hoods might still have the membrane on them. If they're small, the membrane might not be an issue though

No, come back! We don't want you to go back to lurking anymore! Come towards the light!
    c8g8r9g9ur03.jpg
    I have to wait 3-4 weeks for my boxes to arrive :( But I will still be here.....watching.... :wink:
    Love love love all the gorgeous boxes!!

3-4 weeks? Where are you ordering them from? Antarctica?

[]
    I'm in New Zealand and they are coming from China...... via slow canoe ;)
    Hopefully I won't have to wait that long!!

Teehee, close enough to Antartica then :p

As a fellow ANZAC, I feel your pain. Shipping times and costs are horrible, but I've found that the 3-4 week shipping is usually closer to the 2-3 mark in most cases.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi, y'all! I'm so excited I've read throughout this tread over the last 24 hours. Its been a little obsession!! Lol! Now (with no sleep) I'm off to work. At least its just a half day, then I'm going bento container shopping!!!! WooHoo!! I already ordered a cute little owl lunch bag off of Amazon (at 3am this morning). Once I have everything together, I'll post so picks of what I could come up with in this tiny little town that time forgot! Blessings :wink:
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

6p1oqdv39hke.jpg

I think you did awesome! It looks super-tasty :smiley:
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    rm7gghcbn7n2.jpg
    A little dark, but here is today's lunch! Red pepper slices and steamed broccoli, with spaghetti squash, honey glazed chicken, and some edamame and snap peas! Also brought a yogurt for a snack :)
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    9ae30myz01aj.jpg
    Layer 1: sushi rolls! (Ham, goat cheese, cucumber, and carrot) with blanched broccoli and carrots

Layer 2: spinach/arugala salad with carrot, broccoli, cucumber, and Gorgonzola with grapefruit
  • irisgal345
    Options
    Layer 1: sushi rolls! (Ham, goat cheese, cucumber, and carrot) with blanched broccoli and carrots

Layer 2: spinach/arugala salad with carrot, broccoli, cucumber, and Gorgonzola with grapefruit

looks yummy!
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I sorta have bento today! I bought these cute square pita pockets and thought they'd fit in a bento. Well, not in any bento that I have, so the ham and goat cheese pocket is on the side, I just bento-d the rest of my lunch. With the sammy, I have strawberries, almonds & carrots.kvuxfzk2vp7y.jpg
  • irisgal345
    Options
    ci9abc2nrpws.jpg

Chicken breast, spring onion, cream cheese and cucumber roll ups, cherry tomatoes, green beans and white peach.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @sagj @irisgal345 I love the lunchmeat "sushi" rolls. I may try that out for the husband's bentos.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @sagj @irisgal345 I love the lunchmeat "sushi" rolls. I may try that out for the husband's bentos.

I know! I'd already been thinking of making meat-and-cheese roll-ups for tomorrow (so I don't actually have to cook anything :p) and now I'm thinking I need to add matchstick carrots to make them "sushi" rolls!

No bento for me today. Grabbed a sammich from the cafeteria. This week and next week will be very hectic: I'm trying to finish this week's homework and at least start next week's before Saturday, when I will have laserbeams poking at my eyeballs, and then I plan to do absolutely nothing productive the rest of the weekend!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I feel like a little kid, I can't wait to pack my lunch ! I stopped at the Dollar tree and they had sooo many containers to choose from. I got all these for $3.22 !!!
    xifc2esrkjkf.jpg
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Today's lunch:

he72mm9orn7q.jpg

Small container is an Orzo-Veggie Salad; top right is carrots and cherries; bottom right is a riff on "Crack Slaw" with ground beef, baby bella mushrooms, shredded cabbage, garlic, onion, worcestershire sauce, salt and crushed red pepper. Yummy, and all for 424 calories.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I feel like a little kid, I can't wait to pack my lunch ! I stopped at the Dollar tree and they had sooo many containers to choose from. I got all these for $3.22 !!!
    xifc2esrkjkf.jpg

oooh, I love the itty bitty ones. That triangle is a perfect onigiri box!

No bento today. It's too cold; soup is required.