Weightlifting. Why don't you?

Options

Replies

• ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I swim, it's a great workout, sucks in the winter months though. I don't life weights because I have had Cystocele, Enterocele, Rectocele, Uterine and vaginal vault prolapse 3 times and bursitis in my shoulder. There are no more surgeries for me so I have to be really careful this time around. I'm not allowed to lift more than 10lbs from the floor or 30 from waist height, and sometime less than that is painful if repetitive. I can't do squats either, or any kind of running or jumping, sit ups... anything that helps gravity out. It's kind of depressing when I see everyone else talking about lifting and squats all the time... but swimming... yes... I could do that for hours on end if the reasons for all my medical problems weren't running around asking me to cook and clean for them, haha.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Cardio is my enemy; I love weight lifting. Being a hefty fella, running is very hard on my knees and I also get terrible shin splints. I've done lots of time on elliptical machines and my feet end up going numb. I've done a lot of walking and ended up at the doc with terrible pain in one foot. Strangely enough, squatting & deadlifting ~300+ pounds feels great with no joint pain at all.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    djprice_69 wrote: »
    Cardio is my enemy; I love weight lifting. Being a hefty fella, running is very hard on my knees and I also get terrible shin splints. I've done lots of time on elliptical machines and my feet end up going numb. I've done a lot of walking and ended up at the doc with terrible pain in one foot. Strangely enough, squatting & deadlifting ~300+ pounds feels great with no joint pain at all.

You sure you aren't running incorrectly?
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    i like doing races, specifically triathlon. when i first got into the sport, i was mostly a lifter, albeit just getting started. i tried to incorporate strength training with my swimming, biking, and running, but i'd always sacrifice one of the cardio parts. now as my races are getting longer and i want to go faster, i don't lift anything heavier than my bike.

can strength training help me? yes, but not at the expense of my s/b/r. this winter, during my off season and pre-season, i'll be incorporating more strength workouts into my training, but as the season kicks off, i'll be phasing it out again.

^ that. I lift 3 days a week in the off-season (Nov-Feb), 1-2 days a week in pre and post season (Mar and Oct). But outside of yoga, it's all s/b/r from Apr to Sept. :)

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I've tried it at the gym, I've tried it in our apartment gym, I've tried it with equipment at home, with bodyweight only, in a class, in the free weight section, with the machines, alone, with a friend, with my husband, with a trainer

Have you tried it with a mouse? Or in a tree or on a house?

• callen901
    callen901 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I want to lift but I don't know what I'm doing and the trainers @ the gym are no help. I feel so overwhelmed with all the different weights and machines. I just don't know where to start so I just hop on the treadmill or elliptical and do my time.
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 50 pounds doing cycling, spin classes, and yoga. I cycle ~150 miles a week, and it's loads of fun: I get to go outside, see new sights, fly by people with expensive bikes, push through yellow lights, etc. With lifting weights, I'm relegated to counting reps and waiting my turn at machines, and that's pretty boring.

I used to use the elliptical and treadmill, but those machines are pretty boring as well. There is SO much to do outside and at fitness-related studios. I live in NYC, so that helps a LOT!

I like looking lean and tone and don't want large muscles, as I feel body parts that are proportional to one another look the best. With that said, I'll probably start strength training once I get to my target weight because I'll look more tone and balanced because of it. Until then, all of the tests I've taken at the doctors show that my current fitness regime of mostly cardio has me about as healthy as can be.
  • djprice_69
    Options
    djprice_69 wrote: »

You sure you aren't running incorrectly?

Tried heel to toe, toe to heel landing, no bueno. Pretty sure being overweight is the big reason behind it.

"I eat because I'm unhappy. I'm unhappy because I eat." ~Fat *kitten*
  • djprice_69
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    I've tried it at the gym, I've tried it in our apartment gym, I've tried it with equipment at home, with bodyweight only, in a class, in the free weight section, with the machines, alone, with a friend, with my husband, with a trainer

Loving the Dr. Seuss references!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to heavy things to lift. That's the only reason.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »

That was pretty much where I was going with that, because every time I mention on MFP that I hate it people are like "Oh, you just need to go to a class/try the free weight section/get a trainer/do it by yourself at home" etc etc. Nope, thanks, been there, still don't like it. Sorry everyone, it's nothing personal, you can still feel free to enjoy it without me feeling the same way...
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That was pretty much where I was going with that, because every time I mention on MFP that I hate it people are like "Oh, you just need to go to a class/try the free weight section/get a trainer/do it by yourself at home" etc etc. Nope, thanks, been there, still don't like it. Sorry everyone, it's nothing personal, you can still feel free to enjoy it without me feeling the same way...

While I dislike weight lifting, I'm certainly open to trying new classes or ideas. That's often how I begin to like things that I previously did not like. So keep the suggestions coming!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Cuz my physiotherapist is a meanie!!! No, not really...she's sweet. I'm just impatient. ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...want nothing to do with weight lifting...

I'd draw a distinction between wanting nothing to do with it, and having to do it because it has a complementary effect.

I find resistance training to be as dull as f**k, therefore would prefer not to have to do it.

I do it because it supports running and cycling performance.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    ...want nothing to do with weight lifting...

I'd draw a distinction between wanting nothing to do with it, and having to do it because it has a complementary effect.

I find resistance training to be as dull as f**k, therefore would prefer not to have to do it.

I do it because it supports running and cycling performance.

Totally agree . . . well just running for me I'm not a cyclist
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do it because it's good for the bones and for no other reason.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No gym access. No weight lifting equipment at home.
    I do exercises that are cheap/free and don't require equipment at this time.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I want to try weightlifting but I have chronic back issues (mild scoliosis) as well as shoulder and elbow issues (intermittent bursitis) so I'm afraid of injury. I do resistance training now, but I really like the high energy that comes with doing cardio and high intensity interval training. Am looking into joining a crossfit "box" that will scale the workouts for me and not bug me about not eating Paleo.

Whoa, I would think twice about doing crossfit if you have bursitis and scoliosis... lifting heavy for time and reps seems like it would be a really bad idea, in that case. I mean I don't know what "scaling" means in that context but still...

I actually really like lifting, but can't do much with it right now bc of some injuries, doing mostly bodyweight stuff until I can.

Before I tried it, I thought it was the definition of absurdity (like someone said, "pick crap up just to put it down again, seems pointless"). But once I had a go, I found there was something weirdly satisfying in whatever feelings were happening in the muscles used. I hope I'm able to do it again soon.
  • Cricket1515
    Cricket1515 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Because I have too many limitations after surgeries (shoulder and knee) to find a good special snowflake routine. I could agonize over lists and list of exercises to find a few that don't require kneeling, squats, or supporting my weight with my arms.... or I could just get on the bike for a while.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm 220 lbs and have a lot of chronic orthopedic injuries to work around. I have to be careful not to exacerbate my injuries just moving my own body weight around.

I'm hoping to get down below 200 lbs by walking, some swimming, and diet, then add bicycling (on a mag-trainer).

Why below 200 lbs before adding bicycling? Two reasons--

1) road-bike frames are designed with an engineering assumption of a rider of 200 lbs or less and I don't want to damage my bike and

2) have you tried sitting on even a women's road-bike saddle when you are this overweight? Ow!.

Once I'm below 180 lbs I might be able to add weight-lifting without hurting myself. But for now I don't want to get sidelined by reactivating an old injury.