• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A 100g bag costs around $20 here
  • moog54
    moog54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A 100g bag costs around $20 here

100g costs £12 here which I believe is about $8, this is for one of the more expensive brands.
  • moog54
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    moog54 wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Only been using this for a couple of days now, have notice one thing, I am not getting food cravings as much. But that could be due to I don't look forward to my next glass of green splooge.

Most of the places I know that sell it, sell it in shots. People just down it like a shot of tequila.

Really? Are people really this gullible? Super foods, fad diets, and magic pills... Come on. Next thing you will tell me is I can order real X-Ray Glasses in the back of my comic book...

Provide me with the hard facts that this stuff is 'not' as good as it says it is, then I'll stop using it, until then I will carry on with the trial. There is a lot of evidence out there that supports this power food.

Dr. Oz hypes Spirulina. That in and of itself should warn you that it's a scam.

Spirulina has been recognized as a scam since at least 1982 when some of its major producers were ordered shut down by the government based on false advertising claims. Laws changed so that 'supplement' manufacturers could pretty much sell ANYTHING and claim ANYTHING about their products as long as they didn't make direct claims about specific diseases. So now Spirulina is back.

Blue-green Algae (that's Spirulina, by the way): Nature's Perfect Scam
    http://www.theness.com/index.php/blue-green-algae-natures-perfect-scam/

"Blue green algae products are an excellent representation of what is wrong with the nutritional supplement industry. The products are marketed with a long list of health claims that successfully evade the greatly watered down power of the FDA to protect the public from false or misleading claims. Preliminary basic research is inappropriately used to support clinical claims, while no effort is made to actually study those claims. Although sold for its alleged nutritional value, it is packaged and used like a pharmaceutical. And questionable marketing techniques are used to turn consumers into distributors."

Algae: False Claims and Hype
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/algae.html
    "Algae products contain no nutrients that are not readily available from food or ordinary dietary supplements that cost much less."
    "However, the commercially marketed algae products have no proven value for treating obesity or other human health problem, and some may contain potent toxins."

Andrew Weil, M.D.
    "Spirulina and chlorella are often promoted together as green "superfoods," but the science that addresses their nutritional benefits is scant at best. Some laboratory and animal studies have indicated that spirulina has antiviral and anticancer effects, boosts the immune system and protects against allergic reactions, but there's no proof of any such positive health effects in humans."

I've personally had a desperate client abandon his primary medical care regimen and try to use blue-green algae and spirulina as treatment because he read all of the claims about what a great and super miracle substance it is. I'd have him post here about his experience, but his illness killed him. So yes, I'm pretty passionate about being anti-scam.

And NO, I am not against natural supplements or complementary/alternative medicine as long as they're supported with good clinical research. Spirulina isn't.

But you know something? I fully expect you to come up with some rationalization about how you're going to keep using it, and you'll "report" on some beneficial effect you imagine it has. Because that's how people are once they've bought into a scam. And it's why I so very much despise the people who make money off those scams.

Thanks for the info, which has been duly noted, but now you have made your pitch on anti power foods can you please quieten down to let others have their own veiws. I don't understand what you have to gain from this. If I want to try a product out then it should be up to me. I have similar papers on spirulina which show favourable results.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Only been using this for a couple of days now, have notice one thing, I am not getting food cravings as much. But that could be due to I don't look forward to my next glass of green splooge.

Most of the places I know that sell it, sell it in shots. People just down it like a shot of tequila.

Really? Are people really this gullible? Super foods, fad diets, and magic pills... Come on. Next thing you will tell me is I can order real X-Ray Glasses in the back of my comic book...

Provide me with the hard facts that this stuff is 'not' as good as it says it is, then I'll stop using it, until then I will carry on with the trial. There is a lot of evidence out there that supports this power food.

I did a few posts before this. You ignored it.

Snake Oil salesman have always been a pet peeve of mine. I hate seeing people wasting money (or more correctly making less than honest folks rich).

I can't see anything negative at all in taking spirulina. Quite the opposite in fact.
    It's nutritional profile is pretty impressive.

so is the fact that you already said you tried it and thought it tasted so bad you couldn't stick with it.

yeah it didn't taste pleasant at all. I could have easily swapped over to capsule form, but it would have been too expensive.

I'm in Australia, where everything costs TWICE as much as America

Pills and supplements don't work and are unnecessary. This stuff you're advocating has been around for 40 years and still hasn't prove to be the 'miracle' you're touting it to be.
    Save twice your money and stick to a calorie deficit, that's what works.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    jeneticir wrote: »
    I put it in my smoothies sometimes- not too much because the flavor is not great, but it has high levels of B12.

Actually, the B12 in spirulina is almost all pseudovitamin B12, which is biologically inactive in humans.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    This is purely anecdotal, but I take a stack of Spirulina & Chlorella, and the biggest difference I notice taking it, is I don't get (much) lactic acid build up in my muscles, that I normally would not taking it.

I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 6 days a week, and I spar with people at full force for 6 minute rounds, 30 second breaks. There is a very noticeable difference when I'm off of it for a week or two. It is the same for Fish Oil. I notice a difference if I am off of it for longer than a weak. My joints get so inflammed that I can't even close my hands after training Jiu jitsu.

Like I said, anecdotal, so your mileage may vary.
  • Horrorfox
    Options

Pills and supplements don't work and are unnecessary. This stuff you're advocating has been around for 40 years and still hasn't prove to be the 'miracle' you're touting it to be.

@mccindy72 That is an ignorant statement, and you are definitely not qualified to be spreading that disinformation to people who are trying to get information.

Spend a little time reading Dr. Rhonda Patrick's stuff, who has a PHD in biomedical science.
    https://youtu.be/qh0xB4OJdpQ

I think I'll take her findings over your opinion.
  • moog54
    Options
    Is there a way we can set up a for and against poll on this forum, it could prove interestng . Please could moderators advise
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to it about 2 or 3 years ago at a smoothie place. I was told the same things you have read about. I couldn't tell it was in my smoothie, so the they either didn't use much or the taste was subtle. I have taken it as a tablet supplement off and on since that time and can't really say if it really had any "power/energy" affects or not. I am currently 55 years old being treated for high cholesterol, have developing arthritis in both knees and am fairly tired on a regular basis. I do still work full time if that makes a difference (on being tired!). I get more health benefits out of turmeric to be honest.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »

@mccindy72 That is an ignorant statement, and you are definitely not qualified to be spreading that disinformation to people who are trying to get information.

Spend a little time reading Dr. Rhonda Patrick's stuff, who has a PHD in biomedical science.
    https://youtu.be/qh0xB4OJdpQ

I think I'll take her findings over your opinion.

On Spirulina? If she's touting it along with Dr. Oz, who also has a medical degree but has proven himself to be a charlatan of the nth degree, I'm not too worried about her believability. Having a degree alone doesn't make her an expert. How she chooses to use that degree (or not use it, if she's caving to promoting supplements for financial gain) says more than a piece of paper on an office wall.
  • Horrorfox
    Options
    @mccindy72 Are you referring only to Spirulina in your statement, because it looks like you're generalizing all vitamins and supplements. with "Pills and supplements don't work and are unnecessary"
  • mccindy72
    Options
    @mccindy72 Are you referring only to Spirulina in your statement, because it looks like you're generalizing all vitamins and supplements. with "Pills and supplements don't work and are unnecessary"

Let me correct my over-generalized statement. Diet pills and supplements don't work. Vitamins and other nutritional supplements are quite helpful.
  • Horrorfox
    edited July 2015
    Options

Let me correct my over-generalized statement. Diet pills and supplements don't work. Vitamins and other nutritional supplements are quite helpful.

Then carry on :wink: @mccindy72

I would suggest you do listen to that video I linked though, and check out her website Found My Fitness. She is nothing like Dr. Oz. She is a practicing scientist, who has been published multiple times, and does some cutting edge stuff.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Dr. Oz hypes Spirulina. That in and of itself should warn you that it's a scam.

Spirulina has been recognized as a scam since at least 1982 when some of its major producers were ordered shut down by the government based on false advertising claims. Laws changed so that 'supplement' manufacturers could pretty much sell ANYTHING and claim ANYTHING about their products as long as they didn't make direct claims about specific diseases. So now Spirulina is back.

Blue-green Algae (that's Spirulina, by the way): Nature's Perfect Scam
    http://www.theness.com/index.php/blue-green-algae-natures-perfect-scam/

"Blue green algae products are an excellent representation of what is wrong with the nutritional supplement industry. The products are marketed with a long list of health claims that successfully evade the greatly watered down power of the FDA to protect the public from false or misleading claims. Preliminary basic research is inappropriately used to support clinical claims, while no effort is made to actually study those claims. Although sold for its alleged nutritional value, it is packaged and used like a pharmaceutical. And questionable marketing techniques are used to turn consumers into distributors."

Algae: False Claims and Hype
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/algae.html
    "Algae products contain no nutrients that are not readily available from food or ordinary dietary supplements that cost much less."
    "However, the commercially marketed algae products have no proven value for treating obesity or other human health problem, and some may contain potent toxins."

Andrew Weil, M.D.
    "Spirulina and chlorella are often promoted together as green "superfoods," but the science that addresses their nutritional benefits is scant at best. Some laboratory and animal studies have indicated that spirulina has antiviral and anticancer effects, boosts the immune system and protects against allergic reactions, but there's no proof of any such positive health effects in humans."

I've personally had a desperate client abandon his primary medical care regimen and try to use blue-green algae and spirulina as treatment because he read all of the claims about what a great and super miracle substance it is. I'd have him post here about his experience, but his illness killed him. So yes, I'm pretty passionate about being anti-scam.

And NO, I am not against natural supplements or complementary/alternative medicine as long as they're supported with good clinical research. Spirulina isn't.

But you know something? I fully expect you to come up with some rationalization about how you're going to keep using it, and you'll "report" on some beneficial effect you imagine it has. Because that's how people are once they've bought into a scam. And it's why I so very much despise the people who make money off those scams.

Thanks for the info, which has been duly noted, but now you have made your pitch on anti power foods can you please quieten down to let others have their own veiws. I don't understand what you have to gain from this. If I want to try a product out then it should be up to me. I have similar papers on spirulina which show favourable results.

You asked for information, which I provided. Now you're acting offended.

You didn't read my post if you're wondering what I have to "gain" from this. What I have to gain is the hope that other vulnerable people won't be ripped off. If you can't understand that motivation, I don't know what to say. Your mind is made up, you're helping to encourage others to use this junk, and now I'm a meanie who needs to "quieten down".

And this is why the supplement companies can get away with what they do. Under current law, they are allowed to be enormously deceptive - if you understand how much they are allowed to get away with, it's actually sickening.

For those of us who genuinely give a damn about making sure that supplements are honestly promoted, there's a long road ahead. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 severely limits the FDA's ability to regulate these products.

So yeah. I'm here making some "pitch" because I have "something to gain". I'm definitely the bad guy here. I'm out. Best of luck to you.

exactly this. Let's not forget it wasn't that long ago that Hydroxycut was busted for paying athletic-appearing people to gain weight - and then using the 'after' pictures as the 'before' pictures. Blatant false advertising, and yet they are still on the market.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I am always amazed about the fact what people put in their body without any doctor advice or blood work done. How they always know what their body needs and is short off.

For supplements and vitamins. I sure like to know how they do this and know what their body needs. Were do they get the numbers from? It would save me time and money to get to my doctor and pay him for his knowledge and advice and getting my lab results.

I also notice that often this are people who are concerned about their health... so it boggles my mind that they just "take" something without any professional advice.
    A supplement or vitamin can be hundred times proven right...i sure wont take it before i know that my body needs it.
    And at this moment to my knowledge, the only way i know my body needs something is by getting to a doctor and get some blood work done.

But i can be wrong of course...i bet the supplement and vitamin industries love all those people who are just pumping their body with stuff they think they need.

76145189.png
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I still like Spirulina, one of the neat green foods out there. At first, I smelled the bottle it came in and I was out like a light but then, found a way i love using it.

Oat Milk, Whey in Vanilla, Spirulina, and banana. Not bad at all.
  • moog54
    Options
    I am always amazed about the fact what people put in their body without any doctor advice or blood work done. How they always know what their body needs and is short off.

For supplements and vitamins. I sure like to know how they do this and know what their body needs. Were do they get the numbers from? It would save me time and money to get to my doctor and pay him for his knowledge and advice and getting my lab results.

I also notice that often this are people who are concerned about their health... so it boggles my mind that they just "take" something without any professional advice.
    A supplement or vitamin can be hundred times proven right...i sure wont take it before i know that my body needs it.
    And at this moment to my knowledge, the only way i know my body needs something is by getting to a doctor and get some blood work done.

But i can be wrong of course...i bet the supplement and vitamin industries love all those people who are just pumping their body with stuff they think they need.

76145189.png

Likewise, it amazes me that whenever I go on a diet or use a supplement such as spirulina, everyone else become doctors/dieticians. They all are now nutritional experts and know whats best. Yes I have consulted my doctor before I started on the Herbalife plan and before I started using supplements. I am regulary monitored on my well being and so far all is going ok. I listen to my doctors because they are trained and they know my case history, Because of my conditions I have regular blood tests to check for nutrient and oxygen levels (thankfully all appear to be improving).

Yes I do agree with you that peeps see a 'miricle' product that purports to shed the weight, they have got to have it, unfortunaly that is human nature, we are all gullible to this (myself included).