Phase 1 - no sugars

Options
katiadef
katiadef Posts: 17 Member
After trying various 'easier' ways and failing horribly, i came across a blog on reducing one's daily sugar intake. I did the sugartest and came out totally shocked.
So today I started my phase 1, no sugars whatsoever: no sweets, no fruit, no bread, no pasta, no alcohol. Luckily I like veggies, schrimp, fish, chicken. I love to eat great salads and stir fries. So that is the easy part.
Now the difficult part, how to eat at work, in a restaurant, at a party and avoidibg the prohibited food. Usually you get lots of pasta, rice, potatoes and bread and only little vegetables. For work tomorow I prepared a lunchbox. Hope I won't forget it at 4 in the morning.
Have a good night ...

Replies

• Altrez74
    Altrez74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good way to start! You can do it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    So you've tried several fad diets and failed, so you're starting another restrictive diet?

Good luck to you, and hopefully you find something that works. Personally, I like using MFP to calculate my daily calorie goal, and eating the foods I enjoy while hitting that goal. It has worked out for me, and it's something I've been able to stick to for the past several years.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what diet you're following, but it sounds horribly restricting. Do you have a medical condition that would necessitate the cutting out of fruit, bread, pasta, etc.? Do you work those back in? How do you work those items back in?

Also, while you're on this phase, what is your calorie intake? If your goal is to lose weight, the only equation you really need to remember (unless you have a medical condition) is CICO. You can cut out all of the bread, alcohol and fruit in the world, but at the end of the day if you're eating more calories than you are burning, you are going to gain weight.

Good luck, OP.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It's virtually impossible to eat so that you're cutting out all sugars. I hope you're not a fan of peas, carrots, or peppers - because all of those are fairly stocked with sugar.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If this is what works for you, that's up to you. My honest opinion is that you're restricting yourself unnecessarily. I would suggest only cutting out things like cake, cookies and the like, and maybe cut back a little on breads. So much food has sugar in it, even veggies, that cutting it all out will be horribly restrictive. You may be better off cutting out only a few things, and keeping a close eye on your actual intake. Basically, start cutting your eating habits down to something that you'd be willing to sustain for the rest of your life instead of cutting out entire groups of foods that have stuff you like.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Can you link to the blog with this "sugar test" on it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like how whole foods like fruit and potatoes are now the devil....don't ever change multi-billion dollar diet industry...never change...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    FYI OP - vegetables have carbs in them which equals sugar…so vegetables would violate your phase one of no sugar..

Is there a reason that you are doing this? Do you have a medical condition???
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I like how whole foods like fruit and potatoes are now the devil....don't ever change multi-billion dollar diet industry...never change...

lol Yup.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What was the easier way?
    What happens after phase 1?
    How long is phase 1?
    And why the desire to cut sugar and not just eat healthier and watch the processed stuff?
    I like to ask questions, can you tell?
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I do not understand how one eats NO sugar. What will you eat? Meat?

I can understand wanting to restrict added sugars, but I don't see how what you are doing is sustainable in the long-term. Instead of cutting out all carbs (which you aren't doing because you're eating vegetables), why not just try to cut back on them?

Focus on your calorie goal and meeting your nutrients. FWIW, I must watch my carb intake and tonight at dinner I had a cheeseburger on the grill (in a bun) and also a serving of chips. I had to weigh it out and log it but I'll be either at or under 100 g of carbohydrates for the day and I'll most definitely be under or at my calorie goal.

If you want to add fruits back in but are worried about the sugar content, might I suggest fresh cherries and any sort of berry? Berries are an excellent fruit for those who either want to, or have to, watch their sugar intake. Instead of sliced bread, try a flatbread or a wrap. I save about 15g of carbs at lunch by switching to a thin flatbread/wrap instead of regular bread and it's just a good. There are many ways to be moderate about your carb intake while still enjoying your food. Today I even had chocolate!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like much fun!
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    SO you're not gonna eat ANY food..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP here is my standard advice, I think you would have a lot more success with this long term …

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

I would also recommend reviewing the below sticky

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • ndj1979
    Options

something tells me everyone fails that test...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

something tells me everyone fails that test...

Shush, you. ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    katiadef wrote: »
    After trying various 'easier' ways and failing horribly, i came across a blog on reducing one's daily sugar intake. I did the sugartest and came out totally shocked.
    So today I started my phase 1, no sugars whatsoever: no sweets, no fruit, no bread, no pasta, no alcohol. Luckily I like veggies, schrimp, fish, chicken. I love to eat great salads and stir fries. So that is the easy part.
    Now the difficult part, how to eat at work, in a restaurant, at a party and avoidibg the prohibited food. Usually you get lots of pasta, rice, potatoes and bread and only little vegetables. For work tomorow I prepared a lunchbox. Hope I won't forget it at 4 in the morning.
    Have a good night ...

Reducing sugars isn't very popular around here so it is difficult to find support. If you are eating low(er) carbohydrate consider trying the Low Carber Daily Forum. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group The people there are quite supportive of the LC choice, whether it is for a medical reason or just a personal choice.

Meat and veggies are a good place to start. I find I can easily fill my plate with those items. Nuts are a great snack food and eggs are a great food to pack (hardboiled).

Be aware that some people feel fatigued and headachey when they lower their sugars. If that happens to you, consider increasing sodium, potassium and magnesium for a while. Water too.

Good luck!
  • ndj1979
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that anyone would endorse a zero sugar diet, which is virtually impossible. But yes, whatever floats your boat :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm not trying to diss her idea of lowering sugar intake. I don't think it's really necessicary, but if that works for someone, that's all that matters. What I'm saying is that what she's actually trying to do is unrealistic. You probably COULD eliminate all sugar from your diet, but I would think it would be miserable. Plus, you'd be missing a LOT of nutrients that your body needs. I think she would be better off setting her goals to a much more realistic idea of just limiting added sugar and maybe low-carb. It's a lot healither than what her stated goal is, and would be a lot easier to sustian long-term.

Although, my gut is telling me this is a drive-by posting, and we'll never hear from the OP again. *shrugs*
  • katiadef
    katiadef Posts: 17 Member
    Options

It is unfortunately not in English