• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    7.7 miles ... longest run this month!

exercise.png
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @melaniefave41 and @skippygirlsmom, thanks for the encouragement! Most of my running in the past has been on the treadmill, and while I've done well with it, I guess I never pushed the speed aspect of things. Running outside without the set speed I just kind of go with how I feel, so I always run a bit faster outside. Even then I've only averaged at just over 12 minutes per mile for a decent length run. So it was nice to see some improvement-maybe putting in the base mileage is starting to have an impact.

I also think on the treadmill it's harder to run faster just because there's nothing else to focus on-I'm just so in my head. I'm like, ohh wait, am I breathing ok? Is my posture fine? Am I tensing up too much? Yada, yada, yada.
    Outside I have to focus on not tripping over the sidewalk (since I've already shown what a klutz I can be just walking), avoiding running into the people walking their dogs, how far I am from that stop sign, etc. I don't know that the outside run is that much more exciting, since it's just a 1 mile loop around my neighborhood, but there are more distractions.

Having said that, today I felt really good, so I figured I'd go out for a short run, just see how it goes, not push it, and not worry about how slow or how fast it was, since last night's run was so good. I got in 2 miles, with an average of 9:23 minutes per mile, and the first mile was at 8:47 minutes. I think something is just starting to click, so maybe I won't be a penguin forever :) (If I am, though, that's ok too). I'm sure I'll have plenty of those runs where I just struggle through and think "well that was just meh" after it's over, but I'm guessing there will be some like yesterday and today that really feel great.

Sorry to ramble.....

That makes my total for the month 29.75 out of 35 miles.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    7.14.15.... 1 M... 12 min Treadmill incline sprints
    7.15.15.... 2 M..... 20 min treadmill- 1/4 mile hill work (alternating 2.5%- 9% incline every 1/4 mile)
    7.18.15.....4 M..... 37:25 pouring rain road miles. Happy happy
    7.22.15.....1 M...... 10:44- boring easy day on the mill

so 8 of some magical number of this month's miles.

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

In other words, when you start running in an already glycogen depleted (or fasted) state, it forces your body to rely even more on fat storage for fuel. If you sleep all night, your blood sugar is going to be maintained a lot by tapping into your glycogen stores. And if you take off running without eating, you're going to be even more dependent. Your body prefers to maintain blood glucose levels using carbohydrates (either eaten or using what is stored via glycogen) because the process to break it down and use it as fuel is relatively simple. Plus glucose is the only thing that can be used anaerobically. Your body will however make the transistion to rely more on fatty acids for fuel if it senses that gycogen stores are being depleted (you only have a limited amount of glycogen stores in your muscles and liver). But the process to convert fat to fuel is more complicated than glucose to fuel. So it takes more time for the process to be completed. Which means you have to decrease intensity (or pace) of your workout. However, by forcing your body to run this way, your body learns to manufacturer more enzymes that will support the fat to fuel process and it also encourages your body to produce more glycogen so you have a bigger glycogen tank.

Here is a link that helps.

http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/cience-of-bonking-and-glycogen-depletion/

Thank you. That's helpful. I'm reading more about the tempo runs as well. I'm at the point where I'm transitioning to more outdoor running than treadmill running, and I don't know how to properly do some of the things I "force" myself to do when I'm on the treadmill (like running an easy 5.0 mile and then a 6.0 quarter and then alternating between 5.5 and 6.0, etc.) outside. My general pace is slower, but I'm running on a gravel trail with a fair amount of small hills, so that factors in, too.

• melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    3.5 of dreadmill in socks. Will continue with that next two just to make sure I can enjoy the trails for Sunday's long run. 63.4/80.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @mwyvr I can hold some of a conversation running. I haven't/don't run hard enough very long to be winded. That's just painful. I do still do walk breaks. I'll run the first 1.5-2 miles and walk intermittently every mile-ish. I wonder if I'm not pushing hard enough, or if I should visit with my doc regarding cardiac health or just be patient.

@Elise4270 Having a chat with your doc is probably not a bad idea in any case.

Don't worry about "pushing hard". Early on in training we should primarily be focussed on building aerobic capacity and you do that with slower runs at the "conversational" pace, adding distance (time, really) as your capability increases.

How long have you been running / building your capacity?

Off and on the last 5 years. I've been at it consistantly 13 months. Last 4 on this challenge. I've also been trying to get over some chronic pain (SI joint). Pain has been running tolerable the last 2 months. So I feel like I'm really just getting started.

I can't give you a reason why you are running sluggish after 2 miles or justify whether or not you are "pushing hard" enough or not. However I can offer up to you the science on how your body works and maybe pin point some guesses.

First off, as mwyvr has already suggested, getting with your doctor would not hurt any to verify your cardiac system is healthy.

So if you are running at a conversational pace, this suggests to me you're running well below your lacate threshold.
    If you were running exactly at your lacatate threshold, you should be able to sustain that pace for about an hour. Lactate threshold should map somewhere between 80-90% of your max HR.

So making sure you run most of your runs below that will ensure you will not fatigue early due to lactate related acid issues. Your conversational pace should equate somewhere about 60-65% of your max HR.

So the improvements that you make when you run at this Easy pace (60-65% of your max HR):

Your heart is getting stronger. At this heart rate (60-65% of max), your blood stroke volume (the amount of blood being pushed with each beat) is at it's maximum. So you are stressing your heart enough to force it to make these adaptions. Which means, in time if you continue to run at this pace, the heart should be able to pump more blood per beat.

Also, your body will be forced to try and carry more oxygen in your blood. It does this by creating more hemoglobin and more red blood cells.

Your muscles will be forced to try and use more oxygen. It does this by creating more mitochrondria, and the existing mitochrondria will grow larger and closer to the cell edge where it is closer to the blood.

Your body also will create more capillaries (the tiniest blood vessels that are actually closest to your muscle cells).

There is another factor that also needs to be addressed. Nutrition. For example, in order for your body to create more red blood cells and hemoglobin, your body needs iron. Is your body getting enough iron? For mitochrondria growth, the following nutrients are cited that promote growth: Magnesium, Zinc and Iron, Manganese, Carnosine, Carnitine, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ), Resveratrol, and Alpha-lipoic acid. So, this just emphasizes more importance of a balanced healthy diet. Something to ask about with a doctor or sports nutritionist if you feel you need to be more focused here.

So I mentioned that your lactate threshold pace. A runner should be able to race for an hour exactly at their LT.
    So if takes you close to an hour to run your first 2 miles, then LT could be a factor.

Your lactate threshold is heavily influenced by your body's ability to delivery enough oxygen to your working muscles that need it. What I covered above. The more oxygen being carried to your muscles and being used by your muscles, the less lactate and hdryogen ions being generated. This increases your pace necessary to reach your LT. That means you should be able to cover more miles in that hour without being winded. Your body also has a way of clearing this lactate and hydrogen ions. The better your body is able to do that, the better your LT pace it.

The way you can improve your lactate clearing abilities is to do what is known as a tempo workout. You should only do 1 tempo workout (2 at most) in addition to your long run per week.

The other thing you have to factor in is heat and humidity. Both effect your heart rate and perceived effort. Any temperature above the 40-60 degF range will increase your perceived effort significantly. Humidity prevents your sweat from evaporating and will increase your heart rate. Humidity also lowers the oxygen volume which reduces the amount of oxygen you are breathing in. Altitude also can effect the amount of oxygen you breath in. The higher elevation from sea level and the less oxygen you breath in.

Re-reading what you wrote that I quoted above and looking at your latest log.... I would blame a combination of the heat and humidity, some of the pains you are suffering, and these things preventing you from sustaining a higher and consistent overall weekly mileage.

Suggestions: The weather you can't control, so just realize you may have to run even slower when it's hot and humid out. Drink plenty of water. Carry water with you or preplace water on your route if you have to.

Make sure you are healed up pretty well. Get that chronic pain under control. Then just keep at it consistently and if you can slowly increase your weekly miles before your worry about intensity (or pace).

Make sure nutrition is in check. Get enough lean protein, healthy carbs and healthy fats in. Leafy vegatables and plenty of fresh fruits. Fish and lean chicken breast are awesome ways to get protein in. Fish (like salmon and talapia) also not only a great lean protein source but a great source of Omega-3 healthy fat as well as iron. Avacados are awesome for healthy fat. Cocunut water is what I call God's Gatorade. Great to replentish those electrolytes you lose through sweat.

Just some ideas that I hope helps. Not only you but anyone else who may read this and have similar questions.

@Stoshew71 thanks for your insight. I will look at adding more fish. I do take iron water supplements. My iron was 13 last week, where 12 is the cut off for anemia. I have upped my frequency on the iron because I think it could be higher. I love coconut water and avocados. I'll digest all you have to offer.

Tomorrow I plan on an early run, should be 75-ish at 6am.. Way better than today's heat index of 107.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Hot & humid 5 miler today. Debating if I want to resume treadmill based speedwork tomorrow (which seems to make my knees unhappy), or just suck it up and do it tomorrow night outside in the 85F/80% humidity post-sunset weather. Although most of my speedwork to date has been between 6-7 min/miles, running in the hot humid Florida weather is getting my heart up to 80% at an 11 minute/mile pace, so not sure how to pace things outdoors. I guess I'll just switch to fartleks and go by feel. Happy to be heading north this weekend though for my next long run.

7/1 - 6 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:45 pace)
    7/3 - 5 miles w. strides
    7/5 - 13 miles
    7/6 - 6.5 miles
    7/7 - 7 miles w. strides
    7/9 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:43 pace)
    7/10 - 6 miles
    7/11 - 5.5 miles
    7/12 - 10.5 miles
    7/13 - 8.5 miles
    7/14 - 5 miles
    7/15 - 4 miles
    7/16 - 5.5 miles (w. 6x800 @ 3:20 pace w. 400 walk/jogs between each)
    7/18 - 5 miles
    7/19 - 3 miles
    7/21 - 5 miles
    7/22 - 5 miles

Total: 112.5 miles, 3 speedwork sessions
    Goal: 140 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 27.5 miles, 2 speedwork sessions
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    I am seriously far far behind all of the posts here! Too far to comment on them all but I will read through them tomorrow! We are heading off to San Francisco in the morning and will hit the Race Expo on Friday afternoon. All of the races are sold out so it is going to be a huge crowd! I have heard over 25000 but I don't know if that is inclusive of all the races or just the marathon but there are also 2 Halfs and an Ultra so who knows! I also heard the marathon is not only a Boston Qualifier but also an Olympic Qualifier - wow. There are going to be some super fast runners there!
    Date.......Miles......Total
    07/01.....0.00.......0.00 - Rest
    07/02.....7.20.......7.20 - +Strength training
    07/03.....6.28.....13.48 - Easy
    07/04...12.18.....25.66
    07/05.....0.00.....25.66 - +4 mile dog walk
    07/06.....5.54.....31.20 - +Agility
    07/07.....0.00.....31.20 - +Strength training
    07/08.....0.00.....31.20
    07/09.....0.00.....31.20 - +Strength training
    07/10.....0.00.....31.20
    07/11.....0.00.....31.20 - Gym workout (30 mins bike)
    07/12.....0.00.....31.20 - Gym workout (55 mins bike, 45 mins weights)
    07/13.....3.87.....35.07 - +Agility
    07/14.....5.63.....40.70 - +Strength training
    07/15.....0.00.....40.70
    07/16.....6.65.....47.35 - +Strength training
    07/17.....4.18.....51.53 - Fast four 0 had to be back for a meeting
    07/18.....6.67.....58.20 - Hot and Humid. It really wanted to rain out!
    07/19.....0.00.....58.20 - Rest - Taper week
    07/20.....4.18.....62.38
    07/21.....0.00.....62.38 - Rest and Strength training
    07/22.....4.18.....66.56
    07/23.....0.00.....66.56 - Driving to SF

exercise.png
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Some great posts on hear - Stoshew71 interesting post on how heat effects us when running; don't feel so bad now:)

6.3 miles this morning. Was supposed to be an easy run but didn't feel like it with average temp of 86F and 89% humidity.

• stuartk75
    stuartk75 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    31 so far this month! Should finish the month around 48.
  • rosso0507
    rosso0507 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just recently started running for the first time in my life where i get out there and enjoy it. I always fixated running as a negative due to soccer. I can do sprints but long distance killed me and i always got anxiety. I am finally running upwards of 3 miles at a time. Which does not seem like a lot but for me is a HUGE accomplishment. I figured this group will help me keep it up :)
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Another 2.5 km logged last night :smile: At 18.1 of 25 km.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 REST DAY
    7/2 7.5 miles - 7.5
    7/3 REST DAY
    7/4 13.2 miles - 20.7
    7/5 REST DAY
    7/6 7.3 miles - 28
    7/7 7 miles - 35
    7/8 REST DAY
    7/9 5.25 miles - 40.25
    7/10 REST DAY
    7/11 13.4 miles - 53.65
    7/12 REST DAY
    7/13 8.1 miles - 61.75
    7/14 9 miles - 70.75
    7/15 3.6 miles - 74.35
    7/16 8 miles - 82.35
    7/17 REST DAY
    7/18 15 miles - 97.35
    7/19 REST DAY
    7/20 8 miles - 105.35
    7/21 9 miles - 114.35
    7/22 4 miles - 118.35
    7/23 8 miles - 126.35

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    rosso0507 wrote: »
    I just recently started running for the first time in my life where i get out there and enjoy it. I always fixated running as a negative due to soccer. I can do sprints but long distance killed me and i always got anxiety. I am finally running upwards of 3 miles at a time. Which does not seem like a lot but for me is a HUGE accomplishment. I figured this group will help me keep it up :)

Welcome. That is how I started. 3 miles on the treadmill at a time. I grew up in HS with wrestling and football. So I can understand where you are coming from.

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hills on the treadmill this morning.

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Runningmischka - glad the procedure went well! Great way to celebrate 2 months!

@CrimsonWhite - 8:47 is pretty speedy! Great job!

@rosso0507 - welcome! I think a lot of us always saw running as punishment. You'll get to where you find it enjoyable and even relaxing...seriously!

4.5 miles on a beautiful morning today

Anyone have reviews, good or bad, on GPS watches? Thinking about one so I can stop carrying my phone to track mileage.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Kiddos have been sick. Crazy. I hope to check on everyone of you lovely runners later tonight. For now, just adding 7 beautiful cool miles God granted me this am.

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    July 01 - 6.3 miles
    July 02 - 3.3 miles
    July 03 - REST
    July 04 - 6.4 miles (10K + 0.2 warmup)
    July 05 - 4.3 miles (3.0 + 1.3)
    July 06 - REST
    July 07 - 5.2 miles
    July 08 - 4.9 miles
    July 09 - Core work
    July 10 - 6.0 miles (4.7 + 1.3)
    July 11 - Sailing!
    July 12 - 7.1 miles <-- Distance PR
    July 13 - 4.6 miles
    July 14 - 3.1 miles
    July 15 - 3.2 miles
    July 16 - REST
    July 17 - REST
    July 18 - 6.2 miles
    July 19 - 9.3 miles <-- Distance PR
    July 20 - 3.8 miles
    July 21 - REST
    July 22 - 3.1 miles <-- Torchlight 5K in downtown Minneapolis

July Goal: 90 miles
    Miles so far: 76.8
    Miles left: 13.2

Well that was an adventure! Race time was 7:30 (with over 4000 entrants) but my daughter, Kat, said she might have to work until 7pm. There's no way we would have made it in time. Then my wife steps up and saves the day. She agrees to pick up me and Kat and takes us as close as she can get. Kat ends up getting off at 6:30, then it's a 17 minute drive to the start...so we thought. What we didn't realize was that right after the race there were going to have a parade on that same route, starting right near the same place. Last night was the start of the Minneapolis Aquatennial, the city's big summer festival. Not only were there racers clogging up the streets, there were parade goers. Add to that his is construction season and our main exit was closed, as was our alternate, it was almost a puzzle trying to get close. We finally got about .3 miles away, stuck in traffic, and we decided to hoof it to the start.

We get there at 7:10, I get my wristband for the post-race beer, and we stand in line for the bathrooms....for nearly a half hour! I had to go so bad! We could see the early waves starting, and I was prepared to ditch the line to avoid missing our start, but it turned I was able to go to the bathroom and get to the second to the last wave of runners with a few minutes to spare. My heart rate was elevated before we even got to the start.

All those folks getting ready for the parade were also there along the road to watch us run, and that was pretty cool. We soon made our way to the side of the street so we could high-five all the little kids who put their hands up.

Kat was feeling a bit under the weather, plus she was on her feet for 8 hours at work, so she was not at the top of her game. No matter, we weren't there to race, but to have a great time, and that we did. We did have to stop a couple of times to walk, not because she was tired, but because her shorts were chafing her something fierce. She was PO'd about that because she really wanted to run the whole way. When we got to the bridge at the end of the route, we decided to sprint to the end since we had plenty of energy left. Kat said that was the funnest part...passing all those folk at the end. I had wanted to cross the finish side by side, but we got separated in our mad dash.

Sorry to be sorry wordy, but it was fun to relive the race in this post. Here are a few pictures from last night.
    pkau9qd3qz25.jpg

3gsqzmy95e7r.jpg

c2vkpf3d0s62.jpg

cv7tckqyr58e.jpg

br9hy4q3kwjb.jpg

d8j4oc30se4g.jpg

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays , I try not to eat at least 2 hours before running. If I run in the morning, that means no food beforehand. If I have a race in the morning, I might have a slice of toast with peanut butter or half a banana. For an evening run, no food for 2.5 hours prior. I also limit my water intake about an hour or so before running because I hate running on full bladder.
    @ddmom0811,congrats the distance PB! That always feels great.
    @mwyvr, I'll have to try that MAF test to get a baseline and see how it changes month to month. That would be a good way to measure progress.
    @Runningmischka , beautiful baby! and so glad things went well. Growing up in the town of the Mayo Clinic, I know how comforting it is to go to one of the best clinics.
    @rosso0507 , welcome to the thread! 3 miles is awesome!
    @karllundy I only have experience with the Garmin Forerunner 305 with a heart monitor, an old, old model, but I love having it. I no longer have to carry my phone, I have a much more reliable GPS, and the Garmin Connect website is a great place to plan and track your runs. I bought mine from craigslist for $45, and recently saw one for just $40. That might be good way to test them out without spending a lot. I don't know enough about what's out there to say you should get a 305 but I do think you'd really l like having one. I find the heart rate monitor function to be a necessary part of my training now.
    @JimCrackinDandy , hope your kids feel better soon!

I won't be on much for the next few days. We're heading out camping until Sunday. I'm hoping to get in a couple run on the trails nearby, but mostly we'll be floating down the river, sitting around the campfire, and enjoying a few beverages.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Love the mad-dash to the start story and what a great deal to be out running with your daughter!

@karllundy Agree with @7lenny7 a GPS watch is much better than a phone. I killed one phone screen with sweat before I got mine. While I have a fairly modern Garmin to be honest the main feature I use is heart rate, which any older version will give you. A used watch paired with a new HR strap would be a very inexpensive start, if that appeals.

@rosso0507 Welcome to this very inspiring group! Run slow, and build distance slowly, and you'll run far!