Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

You forgot fat Cherry Coke Vanilla Coke Zero. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

fixed! :p

I had a lot of trouble finding my beloved Vanilla Coke Zero last time I was in the US (we don't have it here at all)... hope it's not being discontinued.

Do they make Cherry Coke Zero?! I tried Mr. Mo's Coke Zero and rum the other night and it was decent. I think I could hang with a Cherry Coke Zero if it's available. I could just Google it, but I'm lazy. :smiley:

Yes they do!! That's what I drink!! <3 Or (please don't hurt me ) Diet Dr. Pepper & Diet cherry Dr. Pepper...those aer my go to pop drinks!

I was mixing DP with DDP for a while, but the DDP gives me an upset stomach, so I just drink the full calorie stuff. I will see if I can find DCCZ the next time I'm at the store.

ETA: I'd never hurt you, we're best friends, Laura!

Phew thanks! I just know how close you are with your "full" Dr Pepper and wasn't wanting to offend! It's sacred to you!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

You forgot fat Cherry Coke. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

We finally got Cherry Coke back in the last couple weeks. I was SO excited to see it the store. I was like "I need this, right now"

It is seriously one of life's hardest decisions deciding between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper at restaurants that offer both. I feel like I'm Sophie in Sophie's Choice.

Cherry Coke definitely wouldn't be at restaurants here, and not very many places have Dr Pepper. :cry:

I found the same thing in Florida. If they had something, it was usually Mr. Pibb. We've had this discussion before. Mr. Pibb IS NOT DR. PEPPER. I'm pretty sure the next time I go somewhere and ask for a Dr. Pepper and they ask, "Is Mr. Pibb okay?" I'm going to say, "Sure, is Monopoly money okay?!"

Please do this and let us know what happens!!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options

You forgot fat Cherry Coke. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

We finally got Cherry Coke back in the last couple weeks. I was SO excited to see it the store. I was like "I need this, right now"

It is seriously one of life's hardest decisions deciding between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper at restaurants that offer both. I feel like I'm Sophie in Sophie's Choice.

Cherry Coke definitely wouldn't be at restaurants here, and not very many places have Dr Pepper. :cry:

I found the same thing in Florida. If they had something, it was usually Mr. Pibb. We've had this discussion before. Mr. Pibb IS NOT DR. PEPPER. I'm pretty sure the next time I go somewhere and ask for a Dr. Pepper and they ask, "Is Mr. Pibb okay?" I'm going to say, "Sure, is Monopoly money okay?!"

That's awesome!
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    What about coupon? How does everyone say that. I've heard coo-pon and q-pon.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    bettencc87 wrote: »
    I was craving something sweet the other night but had absolutely nothing in the house that would satisfy me except some hot chocolate. So I ate two spoonfuls of the powder. Two spoonfuls. Of the powder.

This post is amazing. Thank you for sharing. I once ate an entire tub of cool whip. It didn't end well.

I wish there was an easy way to see how many times this has been quoted!
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    bettencc87 wrote: »
    I was craving something sweet the other night but had absolutely nothing in the house that would satisfy me except some hot chocolate. So I ate two spoonfuls of the powder. Two spoonfuls. Of the powder.

This post is amazing. Thank you for sharing. I once ate an entire tub of cool whip. It didn't end well.

Bingo!
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?
    The correct way, of course. Batter-ees all the way!

How about the correct and every way superior ( ;) ) CRAY-ON versus "cran."

This made me LOL. Of COURSE I say it the correct way CRAY-ON. Also, Batter-ees. Also Sir-rup.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.
    (Now he has to get a job!!)
    Congratulations!

All this cherry and vanilla coke talk make me glad there are more and more Freestyle! Coke machines.

I love the freestyle coke machines! I don't drink pop at all, and I can get seltzer on the freestyle which makes me a very happy camper.
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »

Q-pon. The correct way :)
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

Q-pon. The correct way :)
    Our dictions are so different :lol:

COO-PON!!!

• kelly_c_77
    Options

Coo-pon. My mom always said q-pon.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yep, sir-up, batter-ees, cray-on and q-pon. All the correct ways ;)

Edit: of course @jthurman3 agrees since we both have the awesome northwest accent :)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I say both coo-pon and q-pon. I guess it depends on how I'm feeling. :laugh:
  • levan11
    levan11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    soda, sir-up, batter-ees, cran, coo-pon for me!
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There's also lawyer, which I've always pronounced as LOY-ER. According to this map my state is conflicted on this matter:
    wv5lgg4hv4ma.jpg

Whoa, sorry for the pretty-big image :open_mouth:
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Yep, sir-up, batter-ees, cray-on and q-pon. All the correct ways ;)

Edit: of course @jthurman3 agrees since we both have the awesome northwest accent :)

I agree with all of these!!
  • riderfangal
    Options
    Anyone else ever used or even heard the term vi-co?
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

Apparently my dialect is closest to Boise, Reno, or Spokane. I guess I should move in with @Mohouson. :p

I'm just an hour and half south of Spokane, so you can move in with me and become the pastry chef of the house! :)

Yes, and I will crash at your place and stuff myself silly with chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars when I am heading to northern ID to visit family!! I like this plan very much.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?

Batter-ees! Pet peeve here, people who can't say espresso correctly...

Ditto on batter-ees. And ess-presso.

The only that really gets me is Interac (debit/ATM system)... there is no T at the end of that word, but I hear so many people call it "interact".
  • riderfangal
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.
    (Now he has to get a job!!)

@Tubbs216 This made me cry. My nephew, who is 3, has just been diagnosed with autism, literally two weeks ago. He has virtually no language, he doesn't speak. He also has hearing problems and has to wear hearing aids. He sees a speech therapist, an occupational therapist, and a physical therapist. His doctor that diagnosed him with autism is recommending an intense therapy program of 30 to 40 HOURS A WEEK, every week, year round, from anywhere from TWO TO SIX YEARS. My family was devastated by this, as it's hard to imagine our sweet little boy having to go through therapy all day every day. This costs around $50,000 a year. We're hoping my sister and brother in law's insurance will cover most/all of it. If not, we're planning to pull together as a family to make it work. We just want to give him the best chance possible at living a healthy, happy life. It is so encouraging to hear about stories like yours. I will share this with my sister, it will give her some hope.

Wishing your nephew and your family good luck on this. I hope the insurance will come through and cover it.