Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    What about coupon? How does everyone say that. I've heard coo-pon and q-pon.

Coo-pon. My mom always said q-pon.

Haha same with me. I say Coo-pon and my mom always says q-pon. Not sure where she got that from or how I ended up saying it a different way than she does... :)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

Oh, that STINKS like a dairy barn in the hot August sun!!!!

This made me laugh out loud! Thanks for all of your responses. I guess I can always start looking for a fast food job as the minimum wage for fast food workers just got increased to $15 in New York. I get that people need a living wage but to me this is just ridiculous. That was more than I made when I first started working a couple years ago with a masters degree. Can you tell I feel slighted in all sorts of ways today?! Sorry to be such a downer!

I am also one who envy's the heavy lifters. I love the results that are possible but honestly don't think I would enjoy it very much. I've recently joined a bootcamp class where my muscles are always super sore afterwards so maybe I've found a happy medium. Crossing my fingers I see results soon!

In a place like New York City, how do you live on a wage less than that?

I could definitely understand $15/hr in a place like New York City, but this is for the whole state and I live in rural upstate New York. That wage increase nearly doubles the current minimum wage of $8.75. It just stinks when you spend 6 years and $60,000 on a fancy degree to make the same amount as someone who didn't put that effort in.

Yeah, us NYers are not too happy.
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Yep, sir-up, batter-ees, cray-on and q-pon. All the correct ways ;)

Edit: of course @jthurman3 agrees since we both have the awesome northwest accent :)

YEP. 100%. :smiley:
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    While we're on the topic of pronunciation... ENvelope or ONvelope? (I say "en")
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I didn't know on-velope was a thing. Envelope for me too!

And... is vi-co a shortened version of vicodin? I have no clue :lol:
  • jthurman3
    Options
    @TigerNY128 I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew! I really hope insurance covers the therapy recommended by the doctors. Hugs to you and your family!!
  • AngryViking1970
    Options
    So.... the word "syrup." You guys say see-rup or sir-up?

I'm all about sir-up ;)

I say seer-up.

I'm...not sure what I say. LOL I've been saying it in my head for like 10 minutes and I can't figure it out. Now I'm afraid to say it out loud.
  • AngryViking1970
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

(Now he has to get a job!!)

That is so SUPER GREAT!!!! Congrats to him!

OMG, +1!!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Confession: I drink a fair amount of Crystal Light and I never, ever log it. I treat it like a diet soda, even though it does have some calories.
  • jthurman3
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Confession: I drink a fair amount of Crystal Light and I never, ever log it. I treat it like a diet soda, even though it does have some calories.

Meh - I wouldn't log it either.

Oh - that's another good word for the pronunciation question: EYE-ther or EE-ther?

ETA - I actually use both, but more often "EE-ther". If it starts the sentence, I think I'll say "EYE-ther" like "EYE-ther one of those is fine." But if it's at the end of a sentence, I say "EE-ther." I'm a weirdo!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I say both on-velope and en-velope. Maybe "on" a bit more...which is weird. I've never really thought about that one before.

ETA: ee-ther.
  • AngryViking1970
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?

DEFINITELY batter-ees!!! Bat-trees is just weird.

It is! I have an uncle that says it that way and it really bothers me. Now I think he does it just to bug the rest of us.

This reminds me that my husband will mispronounce things on purpose just to annoy me. He says stuff like 'antibeeotic' or 'vittamins'. I ignored it for years and when I snapped he was like "Finally!". He's a big jerk, btw.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »

Oh - that's another good word for the pronunciation question: EYE-ther or EE-ther?

Both, no idea why.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I say both on-velope and en-velope. Maybe "on" a bit more...which is weird. I've never really thought about that one before.

ETA: ee-ther.

Edited again...because I actually think I'm the same, @jthurman3...I say it both ways.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I didn't know on-velope was a thing. Envelope for me too!

And... is vi-co a shortened version of vicodin? I have no clue :lol:

LOL no it's what we used to call chocolate here in Saskatchewan when I was a kid. I don't hear it much anymore though.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I say on-velope and ee-ther
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Eether!

It is! I have an uncle that says it that way and it really bothers me. Now I think he does it just to bug the rest of us.

This reminds me that my husband will mispronounce things on purpose just to annoy me. He says stuff like 'antibeeotic' or 'vittamins'. I ignored it for years and when I snapped he was like "Finally!". He's a big jerk, btw.
    My boyfriend does the same thing. Then again, I like to frustrate him, too. The other day I was arguing quite seriously that the spinal chord is a big muscle and bones don't grow in our backs ("That's why some people are paralyzed when they damage their spines! If it were a bone the doctor would be able to set it back and it would fix itself... duh!"). My motive was to annoy him. Kind of makes me sound a little bit evil, doesn't it?

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

Eether!

My boyfriend does the same thing. Then again, I like to frustrate him, too. The other day I was arguing quite seriously that the spinal chord is a big muscle and bones don't grow in our backs ("That's why some people are paralyzed when they damage their spines! If it were a bone the doctor would be able to set it back and it would fix itself... duh!"). My motive was to annoy him. Kind of makes me sound a little bit evil, doesn't it?

That made me laugh out loud. Did he start to believe you at all?
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    @TigerNY128 I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew! I really hope insurance covers the therapy recommended by the doctors. Hugs to you and your family!!

Thanks so much! He had an unexpectedly traumatic birth, so we've been dealing with issues since day one. He is the sweetest happiest little boy though!
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It's definitely Q-pon!!