Small But Super Helpful Habits

Options

Replies

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I buy big bags of walnuts. I have to put them on a food scale to get an ounce. A handful is not an ounce if one has big hands! My food scale is my friend.
  • tdjackson315
    tdjackson315 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What has helped me since I started on myfitness pal is the calorie counting. I actually set my goal of daily calorie intake lower than it should be. Not to much - but lower. This way if I go over I know it is not going to hurt me in the long run. I also eat really good healthy food - yet - I make sure I eat what fills me up fast versus small stuff with high calories. And I drink water ALL day at my desk. Like one of the folks said - I keep a jug of water at my desk and just keep refilling my glass. 4 refills means 8 glasses a day and I go over.
  • JanLN5132
    JanLN5132 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Went from whole fat milk to fat free
    Smaller portions
    Have burger lettuce wraps instead of buns (I like the wrap better anyways)
    I work a desk job and don't have to get up much so I set an alarm on my phone for 45 minutes. Every time it goes off I alternate between going to the bathroom and a 5 minute power walk around the building. It really adds up quick.

ETA: Using a food scale to actually weigh out servings. It's amazing what a differance that makes.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about being on or off a diet.
    Start some activities that are not involving a relationship with food
  • Deadcat66
    Deadcat66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Another thing is walking. Walk as much as you can! It makes a big difference in the end. I live a 10 min bus ride from the subway, but I walk instead of taking the bus and it takes me just 10-15min more. Even if the distance seems HUGE, often it's not so you might just try and walk (:
    Good luck!

So true. I live 3 minutes walk from my local shop, not far enough. So whenever I go there I walk round the block on the way taking 15 minutes. Walk the short way back with shopping bags though. ;)
  • MariaFuryTox
    MariaFuryTox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't do low fat in basic foods like milk, cheese, yogurt etc. For me bread is my trigger food so I found a great recipe that suits me and I make my own. I eat fuller fat foods because tickets my protein up as well and keeps me feeling fuller longer. Incorporating fruit and veggies into this and drinking water helps me feel fuller for longer periods of time. I don't keep trigger foods in the house (like potato chips) and I never never go grocery shopping when I am hungry. I also keep healthy snacks at work and take them with me in the car. One habit I have developed is driving home the back way after work so I don't go past fast food joints and get tempted because I am tired and hungry. One trick I do to keep myself moving is play music more often at home. I find I dance around the house more.
  • KristiSchales
    KristiSchales Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is so true. I cannot/ do not control myself when I but snack type foods. If they're at my house, I eat them. So now i have been buying fruits and yogurts (Greek) so they are my grab and go snack.
    I lug a lot of crap to work each day. Lunch, snacks, water for the morning, water for the afternoon, protein shake for the gym, gym clothes. I use a wheely bag. My neighbors thought I was a flight attendant because of the bag! LOL! I come home one day and they ask me which airline I work for! :smile:

Planning makes a huge difference. If you have stuff to eat, you won't hit the vending machine. If you bring water, you won't get thirsty and get some pop. If you go tot he gym right from work, you'll avoid the black hole that is your couch.

I also don't buy snacky foods (chips/sweets). I have no self-discipline and will eat them up! Know yourself, and be honest about your strengths and weaknesses. :smiley: [/quote]

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    mgcarrillo wrote: »
    I'm pretty new here, and I'm trying to start making small changes to my eating and activities that will add up in the long run to a healthier lifestyle. I wanted to ask people here with more experience than me, what small changes have you made in your life that made a huge difference to your weight/fitness/general happiness? For example, I've always hated coffee, so in college and grad school I usually drank soda for caffeine :( Now I've begun substituting black tea for my daily soda, and it's definitely making a difference, both to my weight and to how my body feels. What are some other small but crucial steps I could take to ease myself into this whole awesome-but-slightly-scary health thing?

I've recently started a new diet (not a crazy starvation diet) where I basically cut out artificial sugar. It's a lot easier than what people think. You can still get the sugar from fruits and honey so you don't get freaky cravings!

Artificial sugar? You mean artificial sweetners? lol
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like to put a pitcher of water out with orange, lemon and lime slices in it. When the pitcher is empty, I've gotten all my water in.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Make a distinction between foods you WANT to eat, and foods that you eat just because they're lying around. It's amazing how many calories I saved doing that.

I'm not a big fan of doughnuts for example. I don't mind them but I don't crave them or think they're particularly tasty. In the past when someone would bring doughnuts I would take one (or two) just because it's right there sitting on the table and I happen to be passing by. Now I rarely, if ever, eat them. The other day I forgot, took a bite, and the taste instantly reminded me that I would much rather spend my calories on something else.

This! Before I spontaneously eat anything, I decide if I want it badly enough to waste calories on it. Most of the time, the answer is "No".
  • rinarooxx
    rinarooxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    These are all brilliant ideas and as someone new to this it is so helpful !
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of things:
    1. Switched diet soda out for water kefir and kombucha. May have a few more calories, but neither have very many, both are rich in probiotics, and neither have artificial sweeteners and colorings.
    2. Quit eating storebought cookies/sweets. They don't taste good enough to justify the calories. Now I make better tasting versions at home that are healthier for me. Tonight I made blueberry muffins with honey, coconut oil, and coconut flour. Yummy, healthy, and low calorie!
    3. Stopped eating out so much. You relinquish control over your food when you eat out. You can control the amount of fat, salt, and sugar in your food only if you cook it for yourself.
    4. Moving whenever I can. If I have time to sit, I have time to move. I often will try to walk around the room for at least a couple of minutes every hour if I'm just sitting at home watching TV. You never realize how good it feels to stretch your limbs after sitting for a long time until you actually do.
    5. Learning to enjoy grocery shopping. When seeing the first cherries, or strawberries, or cantaloupe come in for the season becomes fun for you, it becomes much easier to enjoy eating those foods.
    6. Couponing. I get to buy so many more organic foods now that I coupon. A dollar off here, seventy-five cents there...it all adds up!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have 4 supermarkets within 2.5 miles of my house so I purchased an inexpensive backpack and frequently walk to the supermarket/s for a few items. I also like to check my blood pressure regularly so walk to the local drugstore/s for that purpose. Today I'm walking to the veterinarian's to get cat food.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've changed a lot of things.
    - I don't eat anything I don't like
    - I eat protein first
    - Limit chocolate (mostly) to an ounce or less per day
    - Drink selzer water instead of coffee with milk
    - I'm an artist: I got an easel I can stand at, instead of sitting, and adjusted my desk and monitor so I can stand while I'm doing hours and hours of Photoshop and Illustrator.
    - I practice dancing if I have to stand around, or do leg raises.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Get a hobby that uses your hands in the evening - knitting, lego or something x
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    no patatos/bread/pasta and rice

^^ no, just no.....

Calories in/ calories out ...no need to demonise food groups.

My 10 cents is to get active if you aren't already and log foods as accurately as possible :smile:
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Get a hobby that uses your hands in the evening - knitting, lego or something x

Oh how the mind wanders......

Legos are awesome btw.
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump- loving all the tips :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    spttdb wrote: »
    stop using artificial sweeteners. They are harmful to your body and cause cravings.

This is false.