Small But Super Helpful Habits

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    tudoroaks4 wrote: »
    The idea is worthy of note - the idea that you can make small lifestyle changes to start out that will add up to big changes later. Maybe its a 20 min walk a day, maybe it's replacing your 200 cal soda with water. Not everyone can or should jump right into Stronglifts or the other programs that get discussed frequently. Each person is different and will need to find the changes that work for them. Maybe no candy or an apple a day works for some people. So what? Good for them. I think (I hope) most people understand this and can weed out the good and not so useful ideas for themselves.

I think the main gripe with everyone is that the "super helpful tips" are all contradictory. Of course, different things will work for different people, which makes virtually every suggestion on here useless to the average user. What the people need here are factual information that apply to everyone.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    The idea is worthy of note - the idea that you can make small lifestyle changes to start out that will add up to big changes later. Maybe its a 20 min walk a day, maybe it's replacing your 200 cal soda with water. Not everyone can or should jump right into Stronglifts or the other programs that get discussed frequently. Each person is different and will need to find the changes that work for them. Maybe no candy or an apple a day works for some people. So what? Good for them. I think (I hope) most people understand this and can weed out the good and not so useful ideas for themselves.

I think the main gripe with everyone is that the "super helpful tips" are all contradictory. Of course, different things will work for different people, which makes virtually every suggestion on here useless to the average user. What the people need here are factual information that apply to everyone.

That's right. What will work is a calorie deficit (see calorie counting link and logging accuracy links above). How people choose to get there is up to them. Without a calorie deficit, your efforts will be futile, and most will quit when they don't see their perceived hard work and sacrifices paying off.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, there are many people that can't figure it out for themselves. Every day almost someone starts a post about the confusing information that is thrown around on these forums. No carbs...no sugar...no fruit...no this or no that. That says nothing about lemon water and detoxes...where to eat, when to eat, how many meals to eat...etc etc.

While it is an open forum and everyone has the right to post "what works for them" to some that come here looking for info they are confused as to where to start. For this service to really be beneficial there truly does need to be a place to find good solid information that will apply to any and all.

It is hard to believe but there have even been those that did know how much 8 glasses of water is and that glasses are actually cups nor how many ounces that equates to.

This thread with its miss mash of suggestions...is not the place.

• nellzz020
    nellzz020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cut out red meat and started only eating meats like fish, turkey and chicken which immediately just made me feel better.

Switching to healthier snacks also helped (example: carrots and hummus, granola, nuts, fruit).

Drink seltzer instead of soda! Add some lime or something for flavor.

Read labels and avoid things with a lot of sugar. I was eating yogurt thinking it was healthy and then i read the label and saw 25 g of sugar. So make sure you check
  • Annie_01
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

You're missing the point. Someone new telling someone else that is new that they should avoid apples because they are useless is far from a helpful tip. It's just spreading baseless theories. If you feel no apples is the big ticket for you then fine but telling others it's the right thing to do is not helpful.

When I first came here we had the option of showing our weight loss tickers. I miss having those to gauge the credibility of the poster and also being able to see when someone joined.

If I looked at someones ticker and they had lost 50-60...100+ pounds their opinions and advice held a little more weight with me. If someone was trying to tell everyone how to do it and they had only lost 2 or 3 lbs...I just scrolled on by.

Now we have no way of knowing if advice is coming from somebody that has had success...or not!

• Annie_01
    Options
    nellzz020 wrote: »
    I cut out red meat and started only eating meats like fish, turkey and chicken which immediately just made me feel better.

Switching to healthier snacks also helped (example: carrots and hummus, granola, nuts, fruit).

Read labels and avoid things with a lot of sugar. I was eating yogurt thinking it was healthy and then i read the label and saw 25 g of sugar. So make sure you check

How long have you been trying to lose weight? According to your profile page you have yet to lose any weight. So how do you know that these changes that you have made are helping at weight loss?

I eat very little red meat...but not because it prohibits weight loss. You can however lose weight and still eat red meat.

Drinking seltzer water would be a matter of preference...I personally think it tastes nasty. I don't even like lime/lemon water.

If these ideas work for you then I think it is fine but on their own they don't aid in weight loss.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The incoherent drivel in this thread is useless.

Case in point:

nellzz020 wrote: »

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Praise the Lawd this isn't a sticky anymore!

There is justice in the world!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2uMjM_lnKGDBbrXGDLjPi5hPtQtab9642GhoXXSRqORaPezCBGw
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Praise TPTB and all the veterans who know their s@!t!!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys have some good stuff on here.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    3lazlow wrote: »
    Eat an apple every day.
    Take the stairs.
    Eat a salad every day.
    Park far away from the building.
    Walk to the next office instead of emailing.

I don't recommend eating apples everyday as they are very high in sugars. They are actually a 'useless' fruit nutrition wise. They are reportedly more efficient at waking you up in the morning than a cup of coffee.

Ever heard "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"? Apples are full of fiber, antioxidants and nutrients. Google "nutritional information for apples" and you will see tons of sites that call apples a superfood.
  • HoundstoothMFP
    HoundstoothMFP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Completely agree...

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Nope. Still a sticky. The world sucks again.
  • tokyo2008
    tokyo2008 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make a distinction between foods you WANT to eat, and foods that you eat just because they're lying around. It's amazing how many calories I saved doing that.

I'm not a big fan of doughnuts for example. I don't mind them but I don't crave them or think they're particularly tasty. In the past when someone would bring doughnuts I would take one (or two) just because it's right there sitting on the table and I happen to be passing by. Now I rarely, if ever, eat them. The other day I forgot, took a bite, and the taste instantly reminded me that I would much rather spend my calories on something else.

I can completely relate to this!!