Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Small But Super Helpful Habits

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    edited December 2015
    Ah but you see, I am actually doing just fine with all of that. I log, I lose weight, I am right on target. But it is lots of fun to hear about ideas like squats in the bathroom my little brain says, why yes I can add that into my day and probably my *kitten* will look better! And no I am not projecting. it is hella frustrating though to come onto the forums and see every single thread overtaken by the same thing. I get that if you have been doing this for years and years you are also frustrated by all the "can I stop eating meat and turn into a waif?" and "if I drink cinnamon water I will instantly be a super model" But the fact is there are lots of us who are doing it all right and like the idea of incorporating new things into our already working system.

And if you don't find it helpful, well don't keep reading it? I don't find magazines about lamas helpful cause I don't have one, so I don't read the magazine :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Ah but you see, I am actually doing just fine with all of that. I log, I lose weight, I am right on target. But it is lots of fun to hear about ideas like squats in the bathroom my little brain says, why yes I can add that into my day and probably my *kitten* will look better! And no I am not projecting. it is hella frustrating though to come onto the forums and see every single thread overtaken by the same thing. I get that if you have been doing this for years and years you are also frustrated by all the "can I stop eating meat and turn into a waif?" and "if I drink cinnamon water I will instantly be a super model" But the fact is there are lots of us who are doing it all right and like the idea of incorporating new things into our already working system.

Yes, but I'm not the one who came in yelling at the "super angry people", whom I don't recall seeing post in this thread of late? Just because some people don't agree with it being stickied... IMHO only the truly best posts should be stickied, the rest will rise to the top when people post on them. No negativity or anger from me, just honesty. I post because I want to help people.
  • blankiefinder

And if you don't find it helpful, well don't keep reading it? I don't find magazines about lamas helpful cause I don't have one, so I don't read the magazine :)

Oh, and don't worry, I can decide for myself which posts to read, and which to reply to. Just like you can decide for yourself what you read and say.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

Maybe it's just me but it seems that same advice could be beneficial for someone who finds certain posts or posters unhelpful, unsupportive, mean, and/or angry
  • starwhisperer6
    lol the last time I yelled was when my 12 year old let the dog in muddy and encouraged him to jump on my bed. an online forum has never been capable of raising my blood pressure in such a manner. the super angry line was said more in a jesty manner which I realize gets lost in the text translation. I am glad you are not angry! That makes two of us. I will be more careful with my level of levity in my text. And I am not sure what you contributed so I can't say if I was "yelling" at you or not, but three pages worth of posts pointing out "this is not helpful at all!" didn't seem, well, very helpful.
  • starwhisperer6

Maybe it's just me but it seems that same advice could be beneficial for someone who finds certain posts or posters unhelpful, unsupportive, mean, and/or angry

I have stood silent too long! or something equally banal :) You are right though. But I found this post pretty helpful in a lot of little ways so alas this is not one of the posts I should not read or respond to.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    mgcarrillo wrote: »
    I'm pretty new here, and I'm trying to start making small changes to my eating and activities that will add up in the long run to a healthier lifestyle. I wanted to ask people here with more experience than me, what small changes have you made in your life that made a huge difference to your weight/fitness/general happiness? For example, I've always hated coffee, so in college and grad school I usually drank soda for caffeine :( Now I've begun substituting black tea for my daily soda, and it's definitely making a difference, both to my weight and to how my body feels. What are some other small but crucial steps I could take to ease myself into this whole awesome-but-slightly-scary health thing?

Use a food scale to weigh my food in grams.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,216 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Ridiculous thread keeps on going

Why is it ridiculous?

Some of the points are - like saying cinnamon makes you lose weight - but most are just small helpful hints people thought might be helpful..
    Some of them won't be relevant to everyone but that's ok - people can read through to get helpful hints and use those that are relevant to them.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member

I don't see it coming to an end anytime soon
  • kpwilliams07
    kpwilliams07 Posts: 1 Member
    These are a few tips that my husband and I found helpful in our journey:
    -Get rid of easy access junk food
    -Set a goal for weight loss and log it (Using App)
    -Pick 3 healthy meals and 2 healthy snacks you wouldn't mind eating for 2-3days and pre-log them to see where you stand(figure out portion sizes then)
    -Go to grocery store and buy only what you need for these meals (Make sure you have a lunch box and enough storage containers for these meals.)
    -Weigh, Cook, and Separate your meals (Tips: Pre-heat oven while prepping, Cook meats first because they typically take the longest, For starters focus on one meal at a time)
    -Let meals cool. Leave 1 lunch and dinner meal in refrigerator, freeze the rest. (Place meals you'll need for the next day in refrigerator the night before)

My husband and I normally cook breakfast at home in the morning and pack our midmorning snack, lunch, and evening snack for work (Sometimes dinner for myself as well). We contain our dinner in the refrigerator simply because I exercise in the mornings before breakfast and he exercises in the even. It's easier for me to deal with our kids while my husband worksout when our dinner is already done. This also guarantees that the kids aren't stuck eating what my husband and I are eating for the next 2-3 days and it keeps us less tempted to eat the less than favorable foods that they may choose.

*We don't believe in putting our children on strict diets but we do encourage health food choices and excercise. As for myself I am Active Duty in the military and I've seen firsthand that you can exercise and stay active all day but if your nutrition isn't right it will be harder to see positive results. The difficult part about losing weight is food choices! I've struggled with my weight while being in the military after having children and it wasn't from the lack of exercise...it was convenience! By doing what I've mentioned earlier I've made it convenient for myself to eat right. I was able to get back into standards without costing myself my career but I plan on losing another 15-20Ibs. It's NOT EASY but it CAN BE DONE and we CAN DO IT!

*If you have a favorite meal find healthier substitutes. If you can't, try to eat that meal earlier in the day and adjust your other meals so that it fits within your lifestyle change. (Just try not to make high calorie meals an everyday thing but yes treat yourself sometimes and have fun!) Finding a partner to workout with can also be great. My husband and I are doing P90X3 it's a mildly intense program but it's 30mins and it get's straight to the point.)

I hope this helped!
  • ToriGabrielle
    ToriGabrielle Posts: 25 Member
    rainbowblu wrote: »
    Kids meals. I'm the QUEEN of the kid's meal lol...even before I got serious about my weight loss, they are cheaper and the portions that we should be eating anyways.

This.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Keeping food in my refrigerator instead of letting myself run out goes a long way to keeping me healthy.
  • blankiefinder

Why is it ridiculous?

Some of the points are - like saying cinnamon makes you lose weight - but most are just small helpful hints people thought might be helpful..
    Some of them won't be relevant to everyone but that's ok - people can read through to get helpful hints and use those that are relevant to them.

Why is it ridiculous? Because some of the tips in here are close to dangerous, and since they are all lumped together, how is someone new to this (who is most likely to be looking for tips and habits) supposed to know what is safe, and true, and what is idiotic at best, and harmful at worst?
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    What has helped me is to be on a consistent workout routine. I go every morning and the class schedule helps with that routine. When I work out, I make better choices. I also think reading success stories and reading about nutrition/food/etc. helps me "get in the zone".... I lost 30 pounds at a great rate and then have since slowed down and haven't been tracking the last 2 months. I know what it's like to be in the zone and I miss it and am working to get back. Good luck to you!
  • starwhisperer6

Why is it ridiculous?

Why is it ridiculous? Because some of the tips in here are close to dangerous, and since they are all lumped together, how is someone new to this (who is most likely to be looking for tips and habits) supposed to know what is safe, and true, and what is idiotic at best, and harmful at worst?

which ones are dangerous? I am asking this in a totally serious none confrontational manner. cinnamon water for weight lost, while silly, I doubt would cause you any physical danger. It is totally possible that I missed something in the thread, so I would really like to know.