SUGAR

Options
2»

Replies

• reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When experts talk about limiting sugar, they're talking about added sugars, not the sugar in fruits. Fruits and veggies give us nutrients and bring fiber along for the ride, so skipping them just because they provide sugar to an otherwise healthy body is not necessary. Our bodies need sugar and fruits and veggies are a great place to get it.

I don't know about the "addicted" feeling. Some people purposefully eat small amounts so that they won't binge. Some cut the things they feel addicted to out of their diets. I cut junk food out and really don't miss it. Sometimes I daydream about donuts, but when I gave myself the option to indulge I found out I didn't really want to, lol. I like the daydreams, on occasion, but I'm totally cool with skipping donuts and candy. Just don't want them anymore. :)

You'll need time to adjust to any new eating pattern so don't beat yourself up about setbacks.

Good advice. From someone trying to cut added sugars, Thank you! (And now I'm craving donuts. Sigh).

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @haileycram
    Oh pumpkin! Been there, still am. You are in good company. Have your heard that sugar is more addictive than Cocaine? I'm not really sure if it's true but I don't care.... sugar addiction is tough!

My advice is to start small. Eat normally for a few days or a week and record everything you eat in myfitnesspal. Then look at home many carbs you average in a day. Then reduce it by 20% (or some other arbitrary number). When I did this I started at 300 carbs/day. Now I'm down to about 100.

If you want to try something more hardcore, this book was pretty good:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-21-Day-Sugar-Detox-Naturally/dp/1936608111

I managed the full 21 days once and was really proud of myself. The problem was I went back to my old ways once it was done.

Anyway, keep posting here and keep logging your food.

Please don't spread misinformation. Just like psulemon said, Sugar is not more addictive than cocaine.. spreading ignorance is counterproductive.

Additionally, there is no need for a detox. So long as you have functioning organs, your body will naturally cleanse itself. Detoxes are pointless and a waste of time and money.

I wouldn't recommend reducing ANYTHING by an "arbitrary number". Furthermore, carbs are not the enemy. Really...unless OP has a medical condition that would necessitate the removal of carbs or any other specific type of food for that matter, removing or reducing carbs isn't necessary.

ETA: Clarification that OP should follow a balanced diet and get the appropriate amount of macro and micro-nutrients for her....not trying to say that she should CaRb LoAd 4 LyFe.

OP - don't overcomplicate things. As many other have recommended, reducing your amount of added sugars from cookies, ice cream, etc. and replacing it with other more nutritionally-dense foods should be a simple enough fix. Fruits, veggies, protein, and good fats should really be all you need combined with continuing to weigh, and log/ track your food and find something that will work long term.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    @haileycram
    Oh pumpkin! Been there, still am. You are in good company. Have your heard that sugar is more addictive than Cocaine? I'm not really sure if it's true but I don't care.... sugar addiction is tough!

My advice is to start small. Eat normally for a few days or a week and record everything you eat in myfitnesspal. Then look at home many carbs you average in a day. Then reduce it by 20% (or some other arbitrary number). When I did this I started at 300 carbs/day. Now I'm down to about 100.

If you want to try something more hardcore, this book was pretty good:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-21-Day-Sugar-Detox-Naturally/dp/1936608111

I managed the full 21 days once and was really proud of myself. The problem was I went back to my old ways once it was done.

Anyway, keep posting here and keep logging your food.

Detox and unrealistic addiction claims in the same post? Really?

The only logical part of your post is the final sentence. The rest is based on lies.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I doubt that weaning works. Just quit. Only eat sweets when someone offers it to you. This is my basic strategy. It works.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I always have candy/sweets in the house for other members of the household.
    Set out a bowl of grapes, apples, baby carrots, etc...
    For me it just takes will power.
    The treats I have in the house are in the pantry, not out in the open. I guess less tempting.
    I am not a baker, don't enjoy it, so that problem doesn't effect me.

I do allow a treat every evening, I budget my calories to have them or I go for a walk to earn the sweets.

Good Luck.
  • reallyregina
    reallyregina Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just remembered two more things that help me. When I have a craving I first drink water to see if the craving goes away. If it doesn't and I'm home then I brush my teeth. Sweets don't sound good after that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I think the gist of advice around here is usually that sugar isn't bad if used in moderation unless you have a health reason for wanting or needing to reduce sugars. Most poeple who want to cut back on sugar start with reducing or eliminating added sugars. Some people will restrict sugars firther to include dairy, fruits and sugars (but not many) because low carb foods, such as veggies and fruits, are loaded with nutrients and micro nutrients, and are (usually) a good part of a healthy balanced diet - even with their sugar.

All that being said, if you wish to reduce sugars, try to do it in a manner that will be sustainable. Some people go too restrictive, for them, and then feel the need to add those foods back until they end up back where they started. It's always a good idea to start as you intend to go on. If you can't live without ice cream, perhaps try keeping it out of the house but allow yourself to buy a cone as treat once in a while. If you can live without Cocopuffs or pop, get rid of them, and by get rid of them I mean eat them out of your house and don't buy them again.

I think that is the best tip for me: don't buy it. If it isn't readily available, chances are you won't eat it. If you still need something, get a lower sugar substitute ready. My favorite was xylitol sweetened chocolate chips (Krisda) with some nuts. Sweeteners like Stevia drops can help you lose the sugar but keep the sweet too.

Best wishes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The problem with giving concise advise is that the reasons why people feel out of control with sugar vary so greatly. You really need more details from OP as to what her specific struggles are. That said, here was my issue and what worked for me:

Issue: I was overeating sugary things because they were available at my office all the time and I would snack on them when procrastinating or stressed or down or I needed a pick-me-up. I needed a pick-me-up more often than I should have because (a) I never got enough sleep, and (b) I started my day poorly by eating a plain white bagel. I also sometimes would buy something decadent (a baked good or a pint of ice cream) if I had a bad day, although ordering Indian food was more commonly my thing for that rather than sweets.

Solution (so far): I wanted to break my habit of eating all day and using sweets for emotional purposes, so I cut out sweets (I actually did a dramatic "cut out all grains and dairy and legumes" paleo thing too that I don't recommend). I wanted to eat at my usual times throughout the day for a few days--shockingly, no longer--and I simply replaced it with raw vegetables until out of the habit. I was really motivated and eating really well--lots of protein and vegetables, good sized meals (although low cal), so this probably helped.

After about 3 weeks I added back in the grains and legumes (grains in pretty small amounts at first because I don't really care about grains so found cutting them a good way to cut calories) and started introducing some sweets in small amounts as they fit in my calories. What I discovered:

(a) For me the big change was breaking the snacking habit and trying to avoid emotional eating. If I didn't let myself snack all day but ate only planned meals and didn't use food for emotional purposes, I felt pretty in control.

(b) Eating something sweet as essentially part of a larger meal -- a little ice cream or chocolate as dessert immediately after a full meal -- was easy to do in moderation, especially if I decided in advance that I'd have only what fit in my calories but that I could do it every day if I wanted, so there was no sense of "this is the last time so I better go crazy!"

(c) Some foods were easier than others. Chocolate (good quality) and ice cream are easy for me. Baked goods are harder, since my mind plays the "it's going to go bad if you don't eat it!" game. But I only really like homemade baked goods, so I don't bake them except for a special occasion. I eat them at a friend's house for a special occasion sometimes, though (like my monthly book club).

(d) This seems obvious, but taking a serving and eating that rather than eating from a larger amount and expecting myself to intuit when to stop makes a HUGE difference. So often people seem to think they are weird for not being able to stop easily when eating out of a pint of ice cream or bag of something, but of course you can't.

(e) Simply being choosy and realizing that I have limited calories and should first think about my nutritional needs and then use the extras made me not want to waste them on sub-par sweets. The sweets I eat now are going to be good ones.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP if you are truly have sugar addiction, I suggest counseling.