What do we eat?

Options
hi, just wanted to know, what does everyone eat, (on average) in a day, so I can improve my diet? Thanks :)

Replies

• PannyTheBug
    PannyTheBug Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This was my dinner yesterday
  • PannyTheBug
    Options
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    This is a very vague question. What's wrong with your diet that you wish to improve? I suggest you find some friends on here who are at roughly the same spot in the journey as you and have a look at their diaries for ideas.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i eat a lot of legumes, lentils, oats, quinoa, brown rice, potatoes, vegetables, a few servings of fruit, eggs, lots of fish and chicken, some lean cuts of pork and beef; fats from things like avocado, nuts, olive and avocado oil and dark chocolate.

I also go out for pizza night every few weeks with my boys, enjoy cooking up a brat or a burger from time to time, eat a cookie here and there and drink beer on the weekends.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for calorie counts or specific foods?

Here's a typical day for me.

Breakfast
    soft boiled eggs
    toast
    raw fruit
    2% milk + coffee
    ~550 calories

Lunch
    yogurt or cottage cheese
    granola bar (usually Kashi bar or Nature Valley protein bar)
    raw veggies and/or fruit
    ~600 calories

Dinner
    grilled or baked meat (chicken, steak, etc.)
    mashed potatoes or rice
    raw or cooked veggies or salad
    ~550 calories

Evening Snack
    whatever I feel like having (pretzels, milk, ice cream, etc.)
    ~250-300 calories

I'm eating 2000 calories right now.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you wanna creep :)
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I ate a chicken salad, pretzels and tuna for lunch today. you can look at my diary too. but I didnt really log this weekend so you will have to skip those 2 days
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My diary is open for viewing pleasure :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I look for protein in every meal. Fiber is filling and has other health benefits. Fat is filling and necessary also. My goals are to eat foods I like while getting the most bang for my calorie buck. No food is off limits, although some foods can't be everyday foods.....anymore.

Breakfast - Greek yogurt & low sugar oatmeal - or a Greek yogurt "parfait" (layer yogurt, berries, and Fiber One cereal).

Non-starchy veggies are high volume foods. I can really stretch the portion sizes by adding these to lunch & dinner.

Lunch - grilled chicken (leafy) salads. Different recipes - Cesar, Asian, South West, etc. OR a sandwich on whole wheat (more protein & fiber in whole grain breads and pastas) - Veggie side if I'm not having salad. Fruit side (I typically save this as a snack).

Dinner - protein with starchy something (noodles, rice, potatoes)....then veggies. I like incorporating veggies in sauces. Then I can have a decent serving size.

Snacks - popcorn, nuts, ice cream, or chocolate.....a small serving of something that I'm really craving.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. A lot of ground turkey, avocado, spinach, laughing cow cheese, greek yogurt, frozen yogurt, PB2, popcorn, sliced deli turkey, shrimp, black beans...
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    hi, just wanted to know, what does everyone eat, (on average) in a day, so I can improve my diet? Thanks :)

I keep my diary open, but I promise it is no paragon of virtue. I eat ice cream, pizza, bacon cheeseburgers, and all sorts of truly atrocious stuff. I do okay on the macros, but some of my micros need some serious love (I'm sorry potassium.. I know I don't give you enough love, but can we become bff's some day?). One thing I DO get done on a regular basis is stay below target calories, and I'm losing weight consistently and regularly.
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly what i did before i started this journey but smaller portions and stop snacking inbetween meals
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I had a granola bar for breakfast, a bean and cheese burrito with a salad for lunch, and I'm going to have roast beef, potato and carrots for dinner. I plan to have some canned peaches and popcorn for snacks today.

Eat whatever you like that fits your goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. My logging is a little spotty at times, as I've been at maintenance, but it was really consistent between mid March and November of last year and in January of this year. My calories started out pretty low (1250) and have increased throughout this process.
  • PannyTheBug
    Options

I keep my diary open, but I promise it is no paragon of virtue. I eat ice cream, pizza, bacon cheeseburgers, and all sorts of truly atrocious stuff. I do okay on the macros, but some of my micros need some serious love (I'm sorry potassium.. I know I don't give you enough love, but can we become bff's some day?). One thing I DO get done on a regular basis is stay below target calories, and I'm losing weight consistently and regularly.
    I think, the thing to do is to think about what that is doing to your body. Don't sheild yourself from the, well... for me I guess it's shame. You need to eat more spinach, bananas, that kinda thing. It's healthy and filling, and will give you energy.
  • PannyTheBug
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I had a granola bar for breakfast, a bean and cheese burrito with a salad for lunch, and I'm going to have roast beef, potato and carrots for dinner. I plan to have some canned peaches and popcorn for snacks today.

Eat whatever you like that fits your goals.

Th
    I eat mostly what i did before i started this journey but smaller portions and stop snacking inbetween meals
    Those are both good eating plans. Well done.
  • PannyTheBug
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You can look at my diary. A lot of ground turkey, avocado, spinach, laughing cow cheese, greek yogurt, frozen yogurt, PB2, popcorn, sliced deli turkey, shrimp, black beans...

TBH, I find that unless it is carved before your very eyes, sliced turkey contains a lot of hidden salt and preservatives. It's expensive, but definitely better, to buy a pack of turkey pieces or even buy a whole cooked turkey or chicken and slice that yourself. I also find that quorn is a good source of protein. Well done with the spinach, I like that too!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

TBH, I find that unless it is carved before your very eyes, sliced turkey contains a lot of hidden salt and preservatives. It's expensive, but definitely better, to buy a pack of turkey pieces or even buy a whole cooked turkey or chicken and slice that yourself. I also find that quorn is a good source of protein. Well done with the spinach, I like that too!

Fine. I'm down with boars head. I don't have a reason to limit my salt and a few preservatives won't kill me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Did this just go from "Hey I'm looking for ideas" to "Hey let me judge your food choices" in the space of about 3 hours? OP, I think you'll find that people are less willing to share their food choices if it feels like you just want to put them down for it.
  • PannyTheBug
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Are you looking for calorie counts or specific foods?

Here's a typical day for me.

Breakfast
    soft boiled eggs
    toast
    raw fruit
    2% milk + coffee
    ~550 calories

Lunch
    yogurt or cottage cheese
    granola bar (usually Kashi bar or Nature Valley protein bar)
    raw veggies and/or fruit
    ~600 calories

Dinner
    grilled or baked meat (chicken, steak, etc.)
    mashed potatoes or rice
    raw or cooked veggies or salad
    ~550 calories

Evening Snack
    whatever I feel like having (pretzels, milk, ice cream, etc.)
    ~250-300 calories

I'm eating 2000 calories right now.

That's a good organised food timetable, thanks! I think you should cut down on the sweet evening snacks. That won't help you sleep. I suggest homemade biscuits, or a milky strawberry milkshake, homemade with just strawberries, milk and low fat strawberry yoghurt. They're super yum! I also suggest that you check the sugar content in the nature valley bars, because I don't eat them any more as they contain LOADS of sugar! Your diet seems really good though.
This discussion has been closed.