More running questions - sorry! Should I be pushing harder and if so how?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i feel like the shin splints and the foot numbness could be fixed with new shoes and foam rolling and more stretching. ditch the compression socks for a few runs, your muscles need to expand and contract when you run. put the socks on to recover.

if breathing is an issue, i would guess you probably breathe in through your nose, and out with your mouth. this is an old and antiquated way of thinking. why would you restrict your breathing through your nose when you have a giant hole in the middle of your face?
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    nicola8989 wrote: »
    I'm in week 4 of my beginner's programme and my trainer says that I should be doing better than I am now - he says I have the core strength and the ability I just need to push myself. The problem is though:

- My shins hurt when I run, I wear compression socks but they still hurt. It's not agonising or anything just sore
    - My breathing when running is terrible, even when I run at barely faster than a walk - my trainer says I'm snatching for breath and need to breath deeper but that it's not that bad
    - I get dizzy especially if it's hot
    - My feet go numb!
    - I get panicky when we go somewhere I don't know and I get left behind in the group (I go out running with a beginner's group)

Now really - does this just sound like a bunch of excuses and should I just "power through" them? I've googled some solutions e.g. not lacing my trainers as tight so my feet don't go numb. Am I just being a big baby and making up reasons not to push through?

Shins hurt even though you are wearing compression socks. You need to start doing calf raises and stretching your calves. Also the shoes you are wearing are most likely wrong. And if you have increased intensity/milage rapidly this is also a reason why you have gotten shin splints. Take a week off and ride the bike and then see how your shins feel with a light jog. Shin splints are no joke if you want to improve your running. Take care of the injury first before pushing harder or you'll end up in a boot.

Your breathing is terrible.....with that said I am not sure how you are breathing but I could suggest start with a rhythm. Breathe in 2 steps breathe out 2 steps. Eventually your lungs will adapt and you will be able to get in more air. This is especially helpful when you get to nose/mouth in/out breathing.

You get dizzy when it's hot. Are you drinking enough water prior? Are you also slowing your pace down during the run (which is natural)? Are you eating enough food? There are plenty of reasons for this. But if you are used to running in cooler temps then your body will eventually adjust if you are consistent.

Your feet go numb, once again you are most likely wearing the wrong shoes or you are tying them too tight.

If you get panicky when you go somewhere you don't know and get left behind, then ask who ever is in charge to hand out maps and directions, put florescent flags up or signs, or have someone backtrack on the trail if it makes you more comfortable.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone - I'm going to look up some breathing techniques I can practise at home. I'll work on my stretching and use a foam roller. I did get properly fitted for my shoes, but if lacing them less tightly doesn't work I'll look at getting some different ones.

I love the idea of flags and signs but don't really think I'd be able to do it. I'm just so embarrassed to admit that I panic about getting lost as we are only going a couple of miles and most people have lived there all of their lives!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are really motivated. Keep up the good work! If you're only running once a week can you run/walk a few times during the week to get you in shape at your own pace? I wonder if your running group team runs more often than you? Once your body adapts to running it will be a lot easier. I remember the pains of starting again over the years, and all I can add to the great advice already given is to hang in there and let us know how it goes.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Running shouldn't be such misery. I'd start with your shoes. Get to a running specialty store but first read up on pronation/supination, arches, running gait, cushioning etc.

"My shins hurt when I run, I wear compression socks but they still hurt. It's not agonising or anything just sore."
    Wrong shoes.

" My breathing when running is terrible, even when I run at barely faster than a walk - my trainer says I'm snatching for breath and need to breath deeper but that it's not that bad"
    This will get better. Just keep it to where you can just barely manage a conversation.

" I get dizzy especially if it's hot. "
    No need for this. Run inside or earlier in the morning.

"My feet go numb!"
    Wrong shoes.

"I get panicky when we go somewhere I don't know and I get left behind in the group (I go out running with a beginner's group)"
    It's just common sense to know where you are running especially in a city with suspect neighborhoods. Check out google maps of the area you are running.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you're having shin pain, shin splints or not, heel raises can help. Here's a how-to. Doing 4x25 every day really helped my shin pain. Drinking lots more water, and eating a small snack before your run, should help with dizziness. For everything else: it seems like you know what you need to do, you've just got to do it!
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    It sounds like you are really motivated. Keep up the good work! If you're only running once a week can you run/walk a few times during the week to get you in shape at your own pace? Once your body adapts to running it will be a lot easier.

^^^This. The only way to get better at running is to run. A couple shorter runs throughout the week (in addition to your Sunday run w/ the group) will allow your body adapt in terms of gait and breathing....on your own. You'll be more confident and those Sunday runs will become easy peasy. Good Luck!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I always walk past horses, in case they get spooked.
    nods nods...

walking is good- but not timidly- just walk- animals that walk super slowly often are stalking... I'd add to that- speak up. Just say "hi- how are you- that's a beautiful horse- I'm going to keep talking so I sound less threatening"...

people do that on trails all the time- they think they are being helpful by scrambling up hill out of the way then being really quiet and really all they are doing is causing a problem- the horse doesn't think it's helpful- it's suddenly a predator that's quiet and hiding to pounce on them.

so- walking- and saying hi- and just being "normal" and but not sudden and jerky- is good.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Your feet going numb might not be because you're wearing the wrong shoes, or even because you're tying them too tight. It might be that you are lacing your shoes incorrectly for your particular feet. I have a high instep and the typical way of lacing shoes will have my toes asleep in less than a mile. Here are some ideas for different ways to lace shoes, active.com/running/articles/how-to-lace-your-running-shoes
  • nicola8989
    Options
    thanks so much everyone - I go out a couple of times during the week as well, I'm out tonight in fact! That's some good advice about walking past horses, dogs etc - I live and run in the countryside so come across a lot of animals, I'll bear that in mind
  • nicola8989
    Options
    that lacing link is great, thank you - I have a high arch so I'll try that one out!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    On the breathing thing- deeper is very important. We breath in about 500 ml of air in a resting breath, but only the lining of the lungs has a respiratory membrane that allows for gas exchange with the blood. All the tubes that lead into the lungs do not have contact with the membrane and, thus, they have no role in gas exchange and are called the "dead space." All of the air that remains in the dead space is simply breathed back out again when you exhale. So, of the 500 ml you breath in, only 350 ml also ends up touching the membrane. Now, think about when you are breathing faster. If you don't also breath a little deeper, you will be getting less and less and less oxygen as more air occupies the dead space and is just forced back out again.
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Last one I promise :) So bought myself one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Performance-Titan-Runners-Waist/dp/B00569RA8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438079759&sr=8-2&keywords=running+belt

Sure you can find one on Amazon wherevery you live. That way I can turn on a GPS app on my phone like Runkeeper and not have to worry about carrying anything.

I went running in the woods behind a campsite on the dutch/german border with no idea where I was going, safe in the knowledge that I could always pull out my phone and retrace my steps or at least get a bearing on which way to go to get back. Such a good safety net. Additionally, there is nothing better than having to tighten it ever few weeks when the weight comes off :)

You can ask for advise on the apps that are best, I only use run-keeper but something like this may help you understand some other things about your running like your pace and how it changes in a run.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    thank you - I weigh 234lb and I have exercised in the past but I'd had a break of about 6 weeks because of a virus before I started running. I've never run before I started the group.

Some good advice by everyone so far. Based on what you said above, I think both you and your trainer need to give you A LOT more credit and praise.

You're doing fantastic.
    1) you're running
    2) you have a trainer
    3) you're getting out and socializing/exercising with a group
    4) you're taking control
    5) you're not giving up
    You're doing fantastic.

For me, weight played a big part of my running ability. I should be around 185lbs. When I was even down to 205lbs, I could bike 100miles no problem. I could run 3 minutes and die. Yep 3 minutes. My heart was at 100%bpm, my shins were sore, I has heavy breathing. This lasted for about a year, but as I dropped in weight, everything got better. When I was 183lbs, I could run all day. Took 2nd in a half in my age group, two weeks later completed a marathon.

Started heaving weightlifting and bulking to 206 and it really slowed in my running by 2mph and I need to put in walk breaks. Cut to 196, slowed by 1mph over my 183lbs speed.

TL;DL, it takes time, you will get there.

You're doing fantastic.
  • nicola8989
    Options
    Thank you so so so much everyone - you've really given me a boost today. @erockem your post made me a bit emotional! I am definitely trying to cut my weight down (of course, which is why I'm here!!) and hopefully that will help.
  • erockem
    Options
    On a side note, replace you with me and running with swimming. After just over a year, I can swim a lap (50 meters) before I'm dying. My breathing sucks. My stroke technique is great, but my breathing sucks. It needs to be deeper/fuller. I just keep plugging away, some days are better than others.

I'd love to break 2 minutes a lap and be able to go more than 1/3 to 1/2 miles, some day maybe. :smile:
  • erockem
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you so so so much everyone - you've really given me a boost today. @erockem your post made me a bit emotional! I am definitely trying to cut my weight down (of course, which is why I'm here!!) and hopefully that will help.

@nicola8989, hopefully not in a bad way. I'm Sorry. You're doing fantastic.

My high was 265lbs, after 10 years I finally did something at 245lbs (biking), and didn't even consider 'running' until I was 220lbs. I say 'running' because that was probably a false perception on my part, :smiley:

You are definitely stronger and I was in my journey. You're stronger than you think.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started with the Runner's World Beginning Running Program. I am 49 and not athletic at all. Now, I run 4 days a week 4-8 miles each time. I am slow but I don't care. I still do it.
  • erockem
    Options
    Last one I promise :) So bought myself one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Performance-Titan-Runners-Waist/dp/B00569RA8K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438079759&sr=8-2&keywords=running+belt

Sure you can find one on Amazon where every you live. That way I can turn on a GPS app on my phone like Runkeeper and not have to worry about carrying anything.

I tried one of these amazon.com/Level-Terrain-FlipBelt-Violet-Medium/dp/B00JF9EEXQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1438086429&sr=1-1&keywords=flipbelt&pebp=1438086433266&perid=1K1M46EQK41WQJKWR0AR

Work better than I ever though, my wife tells me they feel like the top of yoga pants.
  • erockem
    edited July 2015
    Options
    With my iPhone I started with Jeff Galloways program, but he has a paper copy if your an android person. I started with the half, and then bought the marathon. Sometimes the 5k is free.

Everyone I started on it has completed their goals. You run/walk/run. In my case I started running 4m30s and walked 30s. Repeat, he walks you though, gives you inspiration, and controls the beat of your music to your pace.

I now run 6m and walk 20s. Repeat. I still use it after 3 years-3 days a week. Using that, I still came in 2nd in my half.