Stopping Junk Food From Coming in my House

Options

Replies

• silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    OP... you need to change the way you think about food rather than make your husband change. If you know you will "cave" and eat some of your husband's "junk food" why not just plan to enjoy some once in a while within your calorie budget?

Others have pretty much said the same thing I would. You can't and should not force your husband to give up what he enjoys because of your lack of self control. Life seldom makes things exactly convenient for us to achieve our goals. Achieve them anyway. You have to learn how to function in the real world some time.

This. This x a million.

You are allowed to eat these things. Calorie counting allows you to budget your food. You can expend, say 1300 calories on your regular food and meals for the day, then spend the extra 200 (or whatever you have left over) on something a bit more indulgent. You don't HAVE to cut all sugar or snacks out of your diet, just make sure that they fit in!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    To elaborate. My experience was that a short period of sticking to a lower carb diet, with meat, more veggies, whole grains, dairy, nuts, and some fruits, helped me sort of "reset". I found I wanted less of the foods I'd previously tended to eat too much of. (Except for a very few things, under particular conditions). I later got back to a more varied diet and found it very easy to moderate. All of a sudden, I had "willpower".

This was my experience. While I was never "low carb" by any stretch of the imagination, they were the easiest things to avoid when I was starting out. While I still have foods that I like to overeat (chips and french fries), on the whole I rarely find myself overly eager to load up on certain carb-y foods that I'd eat a lot of before. (Rolls, breads, pasta, etc.)

As for avoiding his stuff, I agree with the poster who said to think of it as "his." Have things in the house that are only yours to eat, and expect him to stay out of them. In turn, stay out of his snacks. I live with roommates who have a lot of snacky foods that I don't tend to eat (but tend to like), and yeah. Knowing that it belongs to someone else utterly erases the interest in the food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I agree with your husband. It's your eating plan and your problem, therefore it's you who has to adapt in the world around you, not the other way around.
    THIS. You can't expect people to conform to an issue you can't handle yourself. Change YOUR habits.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP -I assume that your husband works and pays at least half the bills for the home that you live in? If yes, then he has every right to bring in the foods that he likes and enjoy them in the comfort of his home. Sorry, but you really just need to learn to exercise some self control, or perhaps you can enjoy some of the things he likes in moderation and still meet your calorie/micro/macro targets....

for the record, there is no such thing as junk food, just junk diets or bad diets...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    its my other halfs money so he goes to the shop and buys what he likes. sometimes i partake and sometimes i dont. Sometimes I might even ask him to bring me some treats back. If i told him never to bring treats in the house again he would just laugh, just like he laughs when i weigh my food.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @lizskwar He doesn't need to stop. You're the one making changes, so you need to change your attitude towards junk. First, remember that ANYTHING can be on the menu (unless you're doing a goofy diet that restricts certain foods). With that in mind, you can eat whatever you want--You just need to keep an accurate account of it and make it work within your goals.

Second, just because he keeps the junk around doesn't mean that he has to leave it laying around. A box, a cabinet, something to keep it "out of sight; out of mind" for you. Resisting the urge to binge on junk is an important milestone in this process, and is one you'll need to figure out because junk food is EVERYWHERE.

FTR, it squicks me to even write "junk". There is no such thing. It's all food. Romaine lettuce is a fantastic vegetable and provides a lot of vitamins, but it's a really crummy protein and will do nothing for your fats. No food is perfect, and any food can be put into a reasonable dietary plan.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have been on both sides of this - The one losing weight and the one watching my spouse try to lose weight.

Last September to December I was in a small deficit and lost 10 pounds. There was some foods that we both enjoyed that were very hard to fit into my deficit. Most of those foods came from the bakery and had a short shelf life. My husband was very understanding and we stopped buying those. Or he bought one donut/brownie/piece of cake for himself. There were other items that he offered to stop getting but I told him not to bother if he could eat it before it went bad. If I really wanted something and it was in the house I could always eat a smaller portion (and that is what I did).

Now I am maintaining and have the calories available to eat the bakery foods we both enjoy. But my husband is working on dropping a little weight. So the same the same deal - we are not buying bakery items. I am also buying snacks/treats for myself that I know he doesn't care for. This was not asked of me. But I know that he more easily gives into temptation. Luckily he is more picky than me so it works out.

We do not have to have the same goals. We do not have to eat the same food. We can make small changes to support each others goals. But we are not asking or expecting the other person to make large changes. It is just food - it is not worth getting upset over or getting into a fight over.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Acetona wrote: »
    He should be supportive and not buy so much junk. In fact, he should stop eating it himself.

Why? if that's what he likes to eat have at it. No one should force their diet doctrine on somebody else.

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's really not much different than keeping alcohol out of the house if someone is trying to quit drinking. Why have the temptation available? He could at least keep his junk food out of site.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lizskwar wrote: »
    Even though I tell my husband to stop buying junk food, etc. Pop tarts, chips, sugary cereal he still does. If it is in the house I eventually cave and give in and eat it. I have had this conversation with him many times and he says he does support me and that I should be able to resist the foods. I don't know how to make it so clear to him it has to stop. Please give me some suggestions to stop my husband from bringing junk food in the housr.

I should have asked this much sooner, sorry, but when you say that if it is in the house you will eventually cave and eat it, what exactly does that mean? Do you have Binge Eating Disorder with a compulsion to eat large quantities of certain foods? Are you eating more than a serving of these foods, and that is putting you over your calories for the day? Do you feel you have certain trigger foods that you have difficulty controlling but other treats are ok? Or are you trying to completely restrict these foods for whatever reason (ie you mentioned eating "clean")?

The answer to how you view these foods and how they impact your eating habits may influence the answers people provide.

• ndj1979
    Options
    It's really not much different than keeping alcohol out of the house if someone is trying to quit drinking. Why have the temptation available? He could at least keep his junk food out of site.

is it not his house too?

so he has to stash the food he likes in a hole in the backyard, just because??????
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Matahairi wrote: »
    If you are a food addict and can't stay away from your trigger foods, my opinion is that the household HAS to help you through this.
    I am a food addict. My hubby loves junk food and lots of it, so I gave him my list of my 5 trigger foods that simply can't be in my house. If they are, he has to lock them in a briefcase that I don't know the combination. On the occasion he leaves them out, I told him that I must throw them away. It's just too difficult for me to be tempted. I gotta make ONE place in my life that's my safety zone. At work, I'm tortured with goodies and junk all day, every day.
    If you had a drug addict or an alcoholic for a spouse or child, would you torture them with putting their drug in the house? I would think not.
    Addicts need all the support we can get. We have to eat 3 times a day, every day and it's a challenge just to get through that some days. It's NOT just the addict's issue alone.

Your friendly dietitian
    Jenn

I really hope you're getting help for your food addiction issues. Five foods are quite a lot and you should be under the care of a professional as it sounds like it affects your day-to-day life.

I have never seen a dietitian who only ate 50-60 grams of protein while trying to lose weight--have you seen the studies that link increased loss of LBM with low protein intake?

OP--Buy some opaque containers and use them.
  • NinaChanges
    NinaChanges Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everyone who binges understands that it is very, very difficult not to cave in to temptation. It is not as easy as "learn to view food just as food". For us bingers, it is not just food. It's like saying to an anorexic to eat or to an alcoholic to stop drinking.
    Of course the husband has the right to eat whatever he likes but his continuing unsupportiveness shows, in my opinion, a deeper problem in the communication of the relationship. My partner who is lean by nature and does not need to diet, supports me every step of the way.
    So let's not jump in conclusions and let's be a little more compassionate when answering to each other's questions. After all we are here to help and support.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

is it not his house too?

so he has to stash the food he likes in a hole in the backyard, just because??????
    Because rational, reasonable people who live together find compromises. He keeps his food in the house, but stores it where it's not smacking her in the face.

• ndj1979
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

is it not his house too?

Because rational, reasonable people who live together find compromises. He keeps his food in the house, but stores it where it's not smacking her in the face.

OP never said he "smacks it in her face"

It is his house too so he can store his food wherever he wants, period.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Everyone who binges understands that it is very, very difficult not to cave in to temptation. It is not as easy as "learn to view food just as food". For us bingers, it is not just food. It's like saying to an anorexic to eat or to an alcoholic to stop drinking.
    Of course the husband has the right to eat whatever he likes but his continuing unsupportiveness shows, in my opinion, a deeper problem in the communication of the relationship. My partner who is lean by nature and does not need to diet, supports me every step of the way.
    So let's not jump in conclusions and let's be a little more compassionate when answering to each other's questions. After all we are here to help and support.

I went back and read the OP and asked some follow up questions. I haven't seen anywhere in this thread where she said she has BED. She said, "if she knows it is there she will eventually cave and eat it". That could simply mean that she is eating one serving, and if that one serving puts her over her calories, she feels like she has failed.

I'm not trying to diminish the struggles of those who do suffer from BED, I'm trying to point out that there are many levels of behavior following "trigger" foods and without more clarification from OP I don't think it is fair to make assumptions about what the best course of action would be.

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Trying to quit drinking or alcoholism? That's apples and oranges....

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

is it not his house too?

OP never said he "smacks it in her face"

It is his house too so he can store his food wherever he wants, period.
    That's another way of dealing with it.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sorry, OP. I agree with your husband. You will always have temptations. The smell of Auntie Ann's in the mall. The Bakery section at the grocery store. You can't make excuses that because something is there you have to eat it.

My pitfall is tortilla chips. I still buy them, why should my boyfriend not have them? When I've made my mind up that I won't eat them, I don't. So, just because something is there don't mean you have to eat it. You need to ask yourself what you want more? The Pop Tart or a smaller waist line?