Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have two young men living in my house that have no concept of what hard physical work means. I had to hire someone else's teenage sons to help dig a trench for a new household water line.

My confession is that I'm not doing very well in the parenting department when it comes to telling my sons they're a couple of wimps. Those words have not actually left my mouth. But I'm struggling to not unload on a 15 year old and a 19 year old that can't do half the work of a fat and mostly unfit 52 year old.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    I have two young men living in my house that have no concept of what hard physical work means. I had to hire someone else's teenage sons to help dig a trench for a new household water line.

My confession is that I'm not doing very well in the parenting department when it comes to telling my sons they're a couple of wimps. Those words have not actually left my mouth. But I'm struggling to not unload on a 15 year old and a 19 year old that can't do half the work of a fat and mostly unfit 52 year old.

If I would you I would unload. Let it all out, followed by all the worst jobs that need doing to be done by the end of the week.

I was brought up to earn my food and bed. (obviously I would still get food and bed, but I had to do it out of respect for my parents) and I personally feel that kids who don't help, don't have respect for their parents. My SO and his sister don't do anything to help their mum and it horrified me. BUT I used to help her, I never got a thank you and I never managed to do it perfectly, just the way SHE wanted it, so I gave up as well. I think it works both ways.

Edit: Because she is such a problem, I have actually lost a bit of respect for her.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

If I would you I would unload. Let it all out, followed by all the worst jobs that need doing to be done by the end of the week.

I was brought up to earn my food and bed. (obviously I would still get food and bed, but I had to do it out of respect for my parents) and I personally feel that kids who don't help, don't have respect for their parents. My SO and his sister don't do anything to help their mum and it horrified me. BUT I used to help her, I never got a thank you and I never managed to do it perfectly, just the way SHE wanted it, so I gave up as well. I think it works both ways.

This.

I was raised to always do what I was told and to help. Usually, I was rewarded for it(Ice cream, extra T.V./Computer time).

As I got older, I grew to just enjoy the helping part, no rewards necessary!
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Confession: I love the feeling of a job well done, and when I don't get that feeling from a workout, I clean the WHOLE house. :grin:
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Confession: I love the feeling of a job well done, and when I don't get that feeling from a workout, I clean the WHOLE house. :grin:

Ha ha same. I do actually enjoy cleaning, and then basking in my own glory with a glass of wine. :smile:
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Confession: I'm struggling with my self image a bit today. I feel unattractive and my self worth is plummeting. I really want to bake something to make myself feel better. Not necessarily eat it, but bake it.

I have day's like this. I tend to wear baggy clothes and avoid all mirrors and reflective surfaces. I know some people suggest 'finding something positive in the mirror' but the only positive I ever find is that I like my eyebrows. lol
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I forgot to share my latest NSV with you.

I went to a baby shower Saturday, and there was homemade cupcakes, veggies and dip, nuts, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, watermelon, pistachio salad, and candy. I filled 2 small plates with veggies and little bit of dip, 1 pretzel, watermelon, mixed nuts, (just a few) 4 buttermints, (which I shared with Mr. Mo) and a small scoop of pistachio salad. I totally skipped the cupcakes!!! I didn't even feel like I was missing out because everyone that ate one, had blue lips and tongue.

Nice! What is pistachio salad? Sounds yummy.

Instant pistachio pudding mix is combined with whipped topping, miniature marshmallows, crushed pineapple, and nuts. This particular salad had a few too many marshmallows for me. I'm sure everyone makes theirs different, but this one was pretty good and not super heavy.

I thought we were the only people who made that! My mom makes it every Christmas. She calls it "snow salad". LOL

Marshmallows, pudding and whipped cream - yep, salad.

Yea my sister makes that too. I love it. She also makes one with cherry pie filling (it may be the picture below) and that is super tasty too!

My grandma made it at Thanksgiving. She called it Watergate Salad.

Speaking of cherry pie filling - has anyone tried the dessert where you substitute all the liquid ingredients in chocolate cake with a can of cherry pie filling? This is relevant to my interests.

I need this!!! Please point me in the direction.
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »

I went to a baby shower Saturday, and there was homemade cupcakes, veggies and dip, nuts, chocolate covered pretzel sticks, watermelon, pistachio salad, and candy. I filled 2 small plates with veggies and little bit of dip, 1 pretzel, watermelon, mixed nuts, (just a few) 4 buttermints, (which I shared with Mr. Mo) and a small scoop of pistachio salad. I totally skipped the cupcakes!!! I didn't even feel like I was missing out because everyone that ate one, had blue lips and tongue.

Instant pistachio pudding mix is combined with whipped topping, miniature marshmallows, crushed pineapple, and nuts. This particular salad had a few too many marshmallows for me. I'm sure everyone makes theirs different, but this one was pretty good and not super heavy.

I thought we were the only people who made that! My mom makes it every Christmas. She calls it "snow salad". LOL

Yea my sister makes that too. I love it. She also makes one with cherry pie filling (it may be the picture below) and that is super tasty too!

Speaking of cherry pie filling - has anyone tried the dessert where you substitute all the liquid ingredients in chocolate cake with a can of cherry pie filling? This is relevant to my interests.

If this is a thing, I need it in my life mouth PDQ.

You can mix most cake mixes with pumpkin (or pureed beans if you're into protein - black beans are actually kind of awesome in brownies because the texture is very dense and fudgey), so I would imagine something pectin-y like cherry pie filling would probably work fine too (heck, there's an old Weight Watchers "recipe" where you mix diet pop with cake mix and it still works.)

I'm not a big cherry fan (I do like fresh ones, but not so much in stuff usually) so I haven't tried it, but I've definitely done some lazy baking with pumpkin and bean and it's totally edible.

Just stop with the so-easy-even-Ythannah-will-make-it dessert ideas... now I want Pistachio Salad and Cherry Fluff Dessert Salad and pumpkin/black bean mix cake. Stop. Now.

:s

If you can manage to keep it to a reasonable portion, the black bean brownies etc are actually pretty doable and have passable macros for most people, if you care - I used to make them on 1200/day all the time and eat them for breakfast, haha. Depends on the mix you buy, obviously, but still.

Mix the pumpkin one with spice cake or similar.

I am normally a pretty big baking snob with everything from scratch and best-quality and all that nonsense, but it goes out the window if I just want to eat something sweet and not share it with anyone. I'm also the queen of making myself one single cookie. Just one. In the toaster oven.

I also need to know how to do this please

• orangesmartie
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    "Aluminium" is hard to say. I say it like the usual American: ALUMINUM. :tongue:

Ha ha there is no 'oo' in it. It's not aloominum lol

Sure it is. A loom in um

No no no no no

Al-u-min-ee-um
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    "Aluminium" is hard to say. I say it like the usual American: ALUMINUM. :tongue:

Ha ha there is no 'oo' in it. It's not aloominum lol

Sure it is. A loom in um

No no no no no

Al-u-min-ee-um

I say it both ways. ;)
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    Thanks for all the supportive messages :)

Where is @Susieq_1994 and @BZAH10 ???

Also, I've just found we have a GNC shop near my office, i don't know if its the same as your GNC....should i go in there and try these holy grail quest bars, if they have them?
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    Confession: I'm struggling with my self image a bit today. I feel unattractive and my self worth is plummeting. I really want to bake something to make myself feel better. Not necessarily eat it, but bake it.

I have day's like this. I tend to wear baggy clothes and avoid all mirrors and reflective surfaces. I know some people suggest 'finding something positive in the mirror' but the only positive I ever find is that I like my eyebrows. lol

I think the worst part is my ex posted a picture of himself and his new woman on facebook. It PISSES ME OFF that 'I' was never worthy of a photo with him on facebook.

I thought I was over it but Sgt. Sexy Pants and I are at odds at the moment which is totally exacerbating this whole feeling of 'not being good enough.'

I anticipate a run with my dog after work to channel all of this hurt and anger. I only hope my poor Tessa can keep up.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the supportive messages :)

Where is @Susieq_1994 and @BZAH10 ???

Also, I've just found we have a GNC shop near my office, i don't know if its the same as your GNC....should i go in there and try these holy grail quest bars, if they have them?

Yes! I always tell people to start off with the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough since it's usually the most popular flavor.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options

Go ahead and do it. 15 and 19 is more than old enough to be helping out around the house, and to do so without being asked. They're being lazy little brats, and they know it will get done because mum and dad will do it.

Is the 19 year old paying rent? Perhaps it's time to hit him where it really hurts...
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Go ahead and do it. 15 and 19 is more than old enough to be helping out around the house, and to do so without being asked. They're being lazy little brats, and they know it will get done because mum and dad will do it.

Is the 19 year old paying rent? Perhaps it's time to hit him where it really hurts...

Agree. I was paying rent when I was 19. The only way to get out of it was to be going to school and I still had to pay for my own books!
  • orangesmartie
    Options

Agree. I was paying rent when I was 19. The only way to get out of it was to be going to school and I still had to pay for my own books!

Same here!

When i was working and still living with my parents (saving for a deposit) i paid them a third of my salary.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There is a hotel with a fitness area and pool very close to my work. I went to see how much their memberships are yesterday, and August is ladies month. Memberships are $150 off. I'm going to stop in on Saturday to look around and probably join, on their website it says they have free weights and a squat rack.

I want to add lifting to my program, and since this is a convenient location for me, I'll actually use it. I'm a little excited.

They open at 6 so I can get a good workout in and still get to work at 7:30.

And my nephew is going to come with me a couple times to act as my trainer. He plays high school football and they had a trainer come in to show them proper form.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options

Me too! It was the condition of my staying within our city to go to university - I could stay living at home, but I had to pay my way. Rent + all my books, phone, internet, car etc.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

I think the worst part is my ex posted a picture of himself and his new woman on facebook. It PISSES ME OFF that 'I' was never worthy of a photo with him on facebook.

I thought I was over it but Sgt. Sexy Pants and I are at odds at the moment which is totally exacerbating this whole feeling of 'not being good enough.'

I anticipate a run with my dog after work to channel all of this hurt and anger. I only hope my poor Tessa can keep up.

I highly recommend unfriending him. My SO made the mistake of keeping in touch with his ex and 8 years later she is still texting him asking "why was I such a bad girlfriend" "What did I do wrong". She is getting married soon and I have a bet with him that he will get a text the night before the wedding asking him if she is doing the right thing. She is also still talking with his mum, it's weird. I fully expect her to turn into some obsessive follower who tries to steal our kids or something. The joke is he cheated on her, if I was her I would have run away and cut all ties, but she keeps coming back, like some sort of toenail fungus.

For the sake of Sgt. Sexy Pants unfriend him and cut all ties.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

My mom used to make a dark chocolate cake. Bake in a rectangle pan. Cook a bit (I don't know if all the way or not?) then put a can of cherry pie filling on it, then put whipped cream (or in her case probably cool-whip) over the top of all of that. The pan kept everything in place. It has been many years since I learned that I can't have the gluten or the egg or the dairy... but I remember it as being rich and tastey.

That sounds awesome!