Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm still here, just super great busy!

Giving up all of Saturday and half of Sunday to the Hershey adventure put me behind on school work (which is relative since there are no ACTUAL due dates in a self-paced program...but I'm crazy). I had today off, but after two days of being glued together my better half had to head out to Ohio (@LBuehrle8 - He's in Columbus) so I'm all in a funk now.

I DID get two assignments in today, and have 2/3 of a third one done. Hoping to get that wrapped tonight, but my motivation is clearly waning since I'm all up on the Internet. ;)

Oh wow!! Lucky him!! Columbus is where it's going on! Haha happy y'all had a fun time at Hershey Park!
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    @Lois_1989 YOU'RE BACK!!!! You have been missed!!!! <3 And now, I am going to find a calculator to see how much you are lifting in lbs, cuz I have no idea.

ETA: Nice lifting, Lois! Those are great numbers (now that I know what they equal)

Ditto!!

And I'm a middle-aged Canadian... the metric system was introduced while I was in school... I can think in both lbs and kg, inches and cm, grams and oz, miles and km, Celsius and Fahrenheit...

I can do the bolded, oz completely escape me and so does Fahrenheit. I know there is a little equation to figure out Fahrenheit to Celsius but I can never remember it. :confounded:

I cheat o:) I have an app that converts for me so I can convert it quickly and talk to SO about celcius temps like I know what I'm talking about hahaha

Well in my opinion:

0-10C - Cold to chilly (warm jacket)
    10-20C - Chilly to cardigan weather
    20-30C - Cardigan to perfect
    30C + = WAY too hot for me.

26-28C is my perfect weather
    Starts at 0?? Update for Western Canada:
    -0 to -10C - Deathly freezing. Wear five layers of clothing and maybe a ski mask.
    -10 to -15C - Add some more layers. Maybe hibernate inside an incubator.
    -15 to -20C - Your blood feels frozen. Is your blood frozen?!
    -20 to -30C - You're already dead.
    -30 to -40C - Not applicable. Because dead.
    -40 and colder - Also not applicable. See above.

Fixed for an Arabian's (specifically a gulf one) point of view. ;)

People do have very individual temperature tolerances. I always was amused on about about a 60 degree day in Tucson to see everything from flip-flops and shorts to Uggs and parkas - sometimes next to each other.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    I'm one of those weirdo's...I prefer cold weather to warm. It's easier to get warm when you're cold and also winter clothes are my FAVE!! I love sweaters, leggings, skinny jeans, sweater dresses, boots, and my all time favorite- COATS!! <3

I'm a weirdo too then. There is a limit to how many clothes you can take off and be decent in public when it's too hot.

You can add as many layers as you need when it's cold. And I love sweaters!!

I love being hot and once I am cold I find it hard to get warm no matter how many layers... I have to lay shivering under an electric blanket or take a long hot bath.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm here! Are you missing me?! I'm in Mexico and I'm definitely gaining weight. Damn you, all inclusive buffet and bar! Last time I was away I gained a pound for every day, but only one was 'real' weight, so I'm hoping this time is similar.
    Best wishes to all! I'll catch up when I'm home on Friday. xxx
    Hope you're having fun! My sister loves to take her family on cruises to Cozumel.

I used to go to Mexico with my parents all the time when I was younger, but I don't feel safe in the town they go to anymore. The last time I went, my dad and his cousin were pulled over by a corrupt police officer looking for a bribe, and my dad's relative was giving him attitude. Plus, they go by bus through very seedy border towns.

I've only had the salt and vinegar Quest Chips. They were AWFUL but I am very interested in giving them another shot, especially BBQ.

@MelissaPhippsFeagins I need to work on my sentences better, but that's definitely a good system.

Speaking of Girl Scout Cookies, this year, a troop that themselves stationed outside an HEB had the BEST Samoa cookie costume. I had to buy two boxes from these kids. :p

I just tried to sync my Fitbit and it's down for maintenance. :s

I need to work on my sentences, too. I don't mind other people realizing that kids could be a burden and choosing not to have them. I chose to have mine because i knew i would not feel that way. I travel less, but i am really fulfilled by being a mom.

Edited for spelling...
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    levan11 wrote: »
    I'm considering quitting my job because the boss's son in law that just started working here got a bigger annual bonus than me. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a) the son in law wasn't such a pretentious jerkwad and b) the bonus wasn't for the previous year in which HE DID NOT EVEN WORK HERE. I know I should just set my pride aside and be happy with what I did get but man is that hard to do.

If it helps, it is not about you, it is not even about the son-in-law. It is about boss giving his daughter a gift through her husband, if that makes sense. Many/most people still are not getting bonus monies so if you can move past it it might be good. Good luck.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    HIYA ALL! This weekend was pretty busy, I worked Saturday and went to accupuncture. Yesterday was stupidly hot so we helped the mancreature's parents with some landscaping (I needed some sun anyway so I wore my bikini top and shorts). We also went to GNC (all the Quest Bars were on sale!!), I got to finally try the chocolate mint one and I love it! I also bought Quest protein powder (Peanut butter), which wasn't available before in Canada. I've got two months until my half marathon and the wedding that I'm a Bridesmaid in, time to tighten things up and get back into the swing of things! Lol

I am thrilled that you posted this! I traveled all over the city last week looking for Quest bars in the flavors I wanted, and still did not get them all!

I never thought of GNC til I saw this post. Not only is it literally up the street from me, the bars are cheaper AND they have a bunch of different flavors......

I love that this thread pointed me in the direction of those bars, I love them! I have tried powders, but do not like milk and juice is so sugary, and have tried other bars, and while I liked them, the carb counts were so high that I only ate them once in a while.

The net carb count for these is so low not only can I eat them often, but I can actually have fruit at breakfast which is exciting for me, as I normally cannot seem to make it work with my blood sugar normally. Except for berries cuz they are so low in sugar. My plan is to have a Quest bar four times a week for breakfast, with just greek yogurt and fruit (FRUIT!!) LOL. I have tried three flavors so far and have loved them all, I can't wait to go tomorrow and see what other kinds they have.

Has anyone tried the Quest protein chips?

What were your favorite flavors so far?

I officially deem the worst flavor Coconut Cashew! I ate that one Saturday & had to force myself to finish it.

@Francl27 I'm pretty sure has ate The Quest Protein Chips.

My favorite so far is the chocolate chip cookie dough......I have also tried the chocolate peanut butter and double chocolate chunk....both great. I plan on buying ten bars tomorrow, with a couple cookie dough and then one of each flavor I want to try so I can figure out which ones are gonna be my go to ones (I did that with Hagaan Dazs at the beginning too, ;) ).

If they have the chips I am gonna buy a bag and try them out.

ETA: @spacequiztime - just saw your post now.....why were they awful?? Second this last sentence, lol.

Another one that disappointed me was the S'Mores bar since it didn't really have that much of a S'Mores taste. The White Chocolate Raspberry bars are my favorite, but with them you have raspberry seeds that can get stuck in your teeth which is a bit of an annoyance. My sister's favorite flavor so far is the Cookies & Cream.
    I am hoping to try the cookies and creme, white chocolate raspberry, peanut butter and jelly, apple pie, cinnamon roll, strawberry cheesecake, brownie and maybe the mint chocolate. Mind you, I have no idea what flavors they have, but that is just what I saw online.

Is it silly that I am THIS excited to go and buy protein bars??
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    HIYA ALL! This weekend was pretty busy, I worked Saturday and went to accupuncture. Yesterday was stupidly hot so we helped the mancreature's parents with some landscaping (I needed some sun anyway so I wore my bikini top and shorts). We also went to GNC (all the Quest Bars were on sale!!), I got to finally try the chocolate mint one and I love it! I also bought Quest protein powder (Peanut butter), which wasn't available before in Canada. I've got two months until my half marathon and the wedding that I'm a Bridesmaid in, time to tighten things up and get back into the swing of things! Lol

I am thrilled that you posted this! I traveled all over the city last week looking for Quest bars in the flavors I wanted, and still did not get them all!

I never thought of GNC til I saw this post. Not only is it literally up the street from me, the bars are cheaper AND they have a bunch of different flavors......

I love that this thread pointed me in the direction of those bars, I love them! I have tried powders, but do not like milk and juice is so sugary, and have tried other bars, and while I liked them, the carb counts were so high that I only ate them once in a while.

The net carb count for these is so low not only can I eat them often, but I can actually have fruit at breakfast which is exciting for me, as I normally cannot seem to make it work with my blood sugar normally. Except for berries cuz they are so low in sugar. My plan is to have a Quest bar four times a week for breakfast, with just greek yogurt and fruit (FRUIT!!) LOL. I have tried three flavors so far and have loved them all, I can't wait to go tomorrow and see what other kinds they have.

I officially deem the worst flavor Coconut Cashew! I ate that one Saturday & had to force myself to finish it.

My favorite so far is the chocolate chip cookie dough......I have also tried the chocolate peanut butter and double chocolate chunk....both great. I plan on buying ten bars tomorrow, with a couple cookie dough and then one of each flavor I want to try so I can figure out which ones are gonna be my go to ones (I did that with Hagaan Dazs at the beginning too, ;) ).

If they have the chips I am gonna buy a bag and try them out.

ETA: @spacequiztime - just saw your post now.....why were they awful?? Second this last sentence, lol.

Another one that disappointed me was the S'Mores bar since it didn't really have that much of a S'Mores taste. The White Chocolate Raspberry bars are my favorite, but with them you have raspberry seeds that can get stuck in your teeth which is a bit of an annoyance. My sister's favorite flavor so far is the Cookies & Cream.
    I'm fine with the s'mores flavor. Cookies and cream is pretty great too.

I also really liked the sample of Quest protein powder I tried.

• FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a screening of The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and since I saw it for free the least I can do is spread the word around that it is a very, VERY good movie. I have never seen the TV show, but the movie was stylish and completely AWESOME! I would definitely see it again. From the start I was hooked, and I didn't know anything about it prior from seeing it. It comes out on August 14 if anyone is interested ;)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    I had my second iced coffee of the summer today. It was thick with cream and sugar and it was wonderful.
    No regrets. :)

Why would anyone regret coffee? I don't put sugar in mine, but I drink a ton of it. I log it all with breakfast because even on obligatory fast days I drink it.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

We are pop people in the inland northwest. I've done that quiz before, and it's super fun. The first time I took it, I confused it because I grew up in the northwest and but lived in the midwest, south, and southwest, so I learned words for things that I didn't have words for growing up (e.g. access roads and parking strips) and didn't pay attention to that when answering questions. When I did it again trying to just remember what I used to call things, it pegged me perfectly (gave me Spokane, WA; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR - I grew up in Spokane).
    I should do that, actually. I used to call fireflies lightning bugs, but I started calling them fireflies at some point. I wonder if it'll identify me as more southern if I use lightning bugs. I have also heard both crawdads/crawfish... and now I use car-mel and care-uh-mel... I used to just say car-mel and apparently that's more northern???? Didn't know. Weird I started using the second pronunciation when I moved to Canada.

Try it!
    The crawdad question was hard because I have lived in places where crawdad, crawfish and crayfish were used. If I wasn't thinking about it and you asked me what it was, I would now say crawfish, but when thinking about it, I knew that crawdad was what they were called when I was growing up. Apparently the use of potato bug (which now I would probably call a roly-poly if not prompted) and kitty-corner is what pegged me as a northwesterner.
    I did it again and got three cities in California once more! Huh. The roly-poly one had me stumped... because growing up I used to call them doodlebugs, but I have also heard roly-poly. Since I haven't seen them since I was a child I was confused as to what terminology I would use now. :lol: I forgot all about doodlebugs!!!

You're a Californian at heart! Your refusal to "y'all" is probably what's keeping you from being marked as a Southerner. I'm amazed you never used that. That became part of my vocabulary when I lived in Texas, despite my best efforts to keep it out and I was only there for two years!

Edit: typo
    I always felt weird about saying it. Same with saying "ma'am" and "sir." I would go over to friends' houses and they'd get in SO much trouble for not saying these to their parents. Calling my mom ma'am would be SO weird.

One time I was in school and a teacher asked me a question. I replied "yes." She stared at me and said "yes what???" I was just confused until I finally realized she wanted me to say ma'am. I didn't mean any disrespect... just feels weird on my tongue. Maybe my dad's northern blood got into me (and for someone born in Texas my mom sounds pretty northern herself :lol:)

The sir and ma'am are foreign to my ears. I guess I was around Mr and Ms or Miss or Mrs and didn't hear it growing up. I tried to choose where I grew up as the answer but for most of the questions I could have easily and honestly answered multiple different answers.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Ok, new Raelynn update!

I finally got a call back from Help Me Grow (program through United Way), and the lady was so helpful! She did suggest that I call our county mental health center to see if we could possibly get some kind of counseling for her, and she will also be looking for some occupational therapy offices for us that may not be so much of a financial burden until we can get Medicaid going. She's going to be emailing me that information sometime tomorrow so that hubby and I can see what would work best. She also told me about Family Connections which is some kind of network/program for special needs children and their families, so that if we needed some support or to see if we could connect with another family that has a child with the same disorders as Raelynn for support and help with everything. I've got to call about the counseling tomorrow, and I have to call the doctor and give an update as well, so tomorrow should *hopefully* be a productive day.

I feel for hubby though, this is all getting to him so much. He's so afraid that she's not going to be able to have a "normal" life, and that's the only thing he wants for her. It goes without saying that I want her to have as much of a "normal" life as possible, but it's so scary when there's so many unknowns and we don't know what will happen. I'm trying to stay positive and optimistic about things, but it's overwhelming at times.

Hugs. And hope...my son who has Aspergers Syndrome is starting college in a few weeks. He has fewer friends than some teens, but he doesn't seem to mind that. Raelynn will find her own normal. It really will be hard but it really will be better than either of you thinks right now.
    I second this. My son is 15 and we have done a lot to support his growth in all areas. Sometimes he is "normal" and sometimes he needs a lot of extra support. I just saw the results of his cardio exam. He had an open heart at 3 days and 3.5 years. It was horrible watching him go into congestive heart failure at 3 years old. Well, this report looks as if that he may end up needing another surgery. I have some follow up to do with the doctor and probably have another doctor look at him. UGH. But we do what it takes to take care of our kids. Hugs and love
    Hugs and love to you and your son. I will pray for no surgery to be needed, but, yes, we do whatever we have to.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options

Aw, and that's one of the ones I like best! Although the cashew flavour was pretty much undetectable, I love anything coconut. Mine were a little hard so I ended up nuking them a little to soften and they were even better.

I'm normally a big fan of everything cheesecake but the Strawberry Cheesecake ones just tasted too chemically-plasticy weird to me.

My two boxes right now are Cinnamon Roll and Double Chocolate Chunk.

@Tubbs216 yes we miss you but we're happy you're enjoying your vacation!

@nonoelmo hoping for the best for your son!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

We are pop people in the inland northwest. I've done that quiz before, and it's super fun. The first time I took it, I confused it because I grew up in the northwest and but lived in the midwest, south, and southwest, so I learned words for things that I didn't have words for growing up (e.g. access roads and parking strips) and didn't pay attention to that when answering questions. When I did it again trying to just remember what I used to call things, it pegged me perfectly (gave me Spokane, WA; Seattle, WA; and Portland, OR - I grew up in Spokane).
    I should do that, actually. I used to call fireflies lightning bugs, but I started calling them fireflies at some point. I wonder if it'll identify me as more southern if I use lightning bugs. I have also heard both crawdads/crawfish... and now I use car-mel and care-uh-mel... I used to just say car-mel and apparently that's more northern???? Didn't know. Weird I started using the second pronunciation when I moved to Canada.

Try it!
    The crawdad question was hard because I have lived in places where crawdad, crawfish and crayfish were used. If I wasn't thinking about it and you asked me what it was, I would now say crawfish, but when thinking about it, I knew that crawdad was what they were called when I was growing up. Apparently the use of potato bug (which now I would probably call a roly-poly if not prompted) and kitty-corner is what pegged me as a northwesterner.
    I did it again and got three cities in California once more! Huh. The roly-poly one had me stumped... because growing up I used to call them doodlebugs, but I have also heard roly-poly. Since I haven't seen them since I was a child I was confused as to what terminology I would use now. :lol: I forgot all about doodlebugs!!!

You're a Californian at heart! Your refusal to "y'all" is probably what's keeping you from being marked as a Southerner. I'm amazed you never used that. That became part of my vocabulary when I lived in Texas, despite my best efforts to keep it out and I was only there for two years!

Edit: typo
    I always felt weird about saying it. Same with saying "ma'am" and "sir." I would go over to friends' houses and they'd get in SO much trouble for not saying these to their parents. Calling my mom ma'am would be SO weird.

One time I was in school and a teacher asked me a question. I replied "yes." She stared at me and said "yes what???" I was just confused until I finally realized she wanted me to say ma'am. I didn't mean any disrespect... just feels weird on my tongue. Maybe my dad's northern blood got into me (and for someone born in Texas my mom sounds pretty northern herself :lol:)

The sir and ma'am are foreign to my ears. I guess I was around Mr and Ms or Miss or Mrs and didn't hear it growing up. I tried to choose where I grew up as the answer but for most of the questions I could have easily and honestly answered multiple different answers.

My father was an MP in the U.S. Army. My boss said to me the other day, "Would you stop that?" I said, "Stop what, ma'am?" She replied, "That. Stop calling me ma'am." I told her I would try, but "ma'am" and "sir" are second nature.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.
    (Now he has to get a job!!)

Hurray!!!!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?

Batter-ees! Pet peeve here, people who can't say espresso correctly...

For me it is nuclear. People who can't pronounce it correctly.

• nonoelmo
    Options
    bettencc87 wrote: »
    I was craving something sweet the other night but had absolutely nothing in the house that would satisfy me except some hot chocolate. So I ate two spoonfuls of the powder. Two spoonfuls. Of the powder.

This post is amazing. Thank you for sharing. I once ate an entire tub of cool whip. It didn't end well.
    Ouch. Tummy-ache!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

You forgot fat Cherry Coke Vanilla Coke Zero. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

fixed! :p

I had a lot of trouble finding my beloved Vanilla Coke Zero last time I was in the US (we don't have it here at all)... hope it's not being discontinued.

Do they make Cherry Coke Zero?! I tried Mr. Mo's Coke Zero and rum the other night and it was decent. I think I could hang with a Cherry Coke Zero if it's available. I could just Google it, but I'm lazy. :smiley:

Yes they do!! That's what I drink!! <3 Or (please don't hurt me ) Diet Dr. Pepper & Diet cherry Dr. Pepper...those aer my go to pop drinks!

I was mixing DP with DDP for a while, but the DDP gives me an upset stomach, so I just drink the full calorie stuff. I will see if I can find DCCZ the next time I'm at the store.

ETA: I'd never hurt you, we're best friends, Laura!

Phew thanks! I just know how close you are with your "full" Dr Pepper and wasn't wanting to offend! It's sacred to you!

I don't like sweet drinks. I don't like carbonated drinks. But... I want a "Trust me I"m a doctor" Dr Pepper shirt.... just because....well... I'm a doctor. :smile: :p
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Confession: I drink a fair amount of Crystal Light and I never, ever log it. I treat it like a diet soda, even though it does have some calories.

Meh - I wouldn't log it either.

Oh - that's another good word for the pronunciation question: EYE-ther or EE-ther?
    Eether!
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?

DEFINITELY batter-ees!!! Bat-trees is just weird.

It is! I have an uncle that says it that way and it really bothers me. Now I think he does it just to bug the rest of us.

This reminds me that my husband will mispronounce things on purpose just to annoy me. He says stuff like 'antibeeotic' or 'vittamins'. I ignored it for years and when I snapped he was like "Finally!". He's a big jerk, btw.
    My boyfriend does the same thing. Then again, I like to frustrate him, too. The other day I was arguing quite seriously that the spinal chord is a big muscle and bones don't grow in our backs ("That's why some people are paralyzed when they damage their spines! If it were a bone the doctor would be able to set it back and it would fix itself... duh!"). My motive was to annoy him. Kind of makes me sound a little bit evil, doesn't it?

That made me laugh out loud. Did he start to believe you at all?

I had a boyfriend try to explain to me that his junk was a muscle and got bigger with exercise... Umm I really don't know if he actually believed that or not.
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.

At least you make the buttercream.

Your post just reminded me that there is some leftover pre-made frosting in my fridge and I fully intend to eat it, with a spoon, over the next few days... willful cakelessness. Nor am I going to mix in fruit and up the nutritional quotient.

I love frosting. I happily eat it without cake. Sometimes I eat it off the cake and throw the cake away. :)

Hahaha I do too Patricia!! I heart icing so much!

When I would stay at my grandma's I would always look in her fridge to see if she had any icing & then I would take a spoon & eat some.

In high school my friends & I would go to the grocery store on our spares just to buy icing to eat.

American translation?

Probably what we would call a study hall? Just a guess.

I was thinking of a "free period" or something, where you don't have any class that hour. We didn't have anything like it in my high school (years and years ago... :# ) Study hall was an actual class you had to attend, or be found absent.

Yearbook staff got to spend study hall running all over school taking random photos. Loved it!

I didn't take photos. I conducted interviews. :wink:
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.
    (Now he has to get a job!!)

@Tubbs216 This made me cry. My nephew, who is 3, has just been diagnosed with autism, literally two weeks ago. He has virtually no language, he doesn't speak. He also has hearing problems and has to wear hearing aids. He sees a speech therapist, an occupational therapist, and a physical therapist. His doctor that diagnosed him with autism is recommending an intense therapy program of 30 to 40 HOURS A WEEK, every week, year round, from anywhere from TWO TO SIX YEARS. My family was devastated by this, as it's hard to imagine our sweet little boy having to go through therapy all day every day. This costs around $50,000 a year. We're hoping my sister and brother in law's insurance will cover most/all of it. If not, we're planning to pull together as a family to make it work. We just want to give him the best chance possible at living a healthy, happy life. It is so encouraging to hear about stories like yours. I will share this with my sister, it will give her some hope.

First off in my friend capacity, I am sorry to hear this. Second, in my special needs mom capacity, never stop advocating for him. Third, in my professional capacity, he should qualify for Medicaid as a disabled person, and really, if he's this profoundly autistic, he may qualify for SSI and Medicare. Those would be secondary to the family's health insurance, but every penny helps.

I got my son qualified for SSI after his second heart surgery when he was 3, for one year. It was the most brutal interview, series of paperwork, horrible experience. I wanted to make sure we had his needs covered but even though I'd been paying into the system since I started work at age 16 the woman interviewing me made me feel as if I was the most evil, incompetent mother ever for not being wealthy enough to cover all his costs and basically threatened me with an audit. It is 12 years later and I still have all my receipts from the money of what I used it for on him that year. (SHUDDER). I will probably have to help him through the process again but I'd rather work my tucus off an become wealthy so that I can take care of him. It sounds easier than going through that again. He is very well documented with a genetic disorder and autism but UGH!!!!!