Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?
    The correct way, of course. Batter-ees all the way!

How about the correct and every way superior ( ;) ) CRAY-ON versus "cran."
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

You forgot fat Cherry Coke. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

We finally got Cherry Coke back in the last couple weeks. I was SO excited to see it the store. I was like "I need this, right now"

It is seriously one of life's hardest decisions deciding between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper at restaurants that offer both. I feel like I'm Sophie in Sophie's Choice.

Cherry Coke definitely wouldn't be at restaurants here, and not very many places have Dr Pepper. :cry:

Yeah, we are way more limited on the soft drinks front, usually.

I worked at a steakhouse chain that had Dr. Pepper but it was only on the bartender's gun, not the server fountains, and I hated having to stop and make stupid Dr. Pepper refills....drove me bonkers. Fortunately, most guests didn't ask for it because they assumed we wouldn't have it as so few places ever do. I used to practically bite the heads of servers who'd come to the bar and ask for one for personal consumption when I was busy, haha.

ETA: I also pronounce bat-ter-ries with all the syllables. And ess-presso with an s, not an x.

Sorry guys, double post!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »

Batter-ees! Pet peeve here, people who can't say espresso correctly...

I know! My mom is one of those people :grimace: My family teases her all the time about things she can't say lol (we're awful).

She's the one that also thought the phrase was "nip it in the butt". I laughed and laughed.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

DEFINITELY batter-ees!!! Bat-trees is just weird.

ETA: and cray-on. Cran is weird too!
  • FluffySandwich
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »

Batter-ees! Pet peeve here, people who can't say espresso correctly...
    Oh man, I admit I used to say EXPRESSO until one day I heard people ranting about it. I took another look at the word and, to my surprise, there was an S sitting right there. Not an X. Now I say espresso, but who knows how many coffee lovers I offended.

EDIT: LOL "nip it in the butt!!" :lol:
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Kevrrr wrote: »
    This about confessions right? I just ate a baked chicken leg quarter from our cafeteria at work that was so dry I didn't even want to log it into my diary as food. I'm going to go eat an ice cream drum stick in retaliation.

Mr. Mo made grilled turkey burgers on the grill last night and they were so gross, I didn't log the 2 bites I took. I was WAY under my calories yesterday, so a mouthful of turkey mush and bread, shouldn't have made that much of a difference.

• ShibaEars
    Options

I have a cousin that pronounces it closer to "crown"
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

DEFINITELY batter-ees!!! Bat-trees is just weird.

It is! I have an uncle that says it that way and it really bothers me. Now I think he does it just to bug the rest of us.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.
    (Now he has to get a job!!)

@Tubbs216 This made me cry. My nephew, who is 3, has just been diagnosed with autism, literally two weeks ago. He has virtually no language, he doesn't speak. He also has hearing problems and has to wear hearing aids. He sees a speech therapist, an occupational therapist, and a physical therapist. His doctor that diagnosed him with autism is recommending an intense therapy program of 30 to 40 HOURS A WEEK, every week, year round, from anywhere from TWO TO SIX YEARS. My family was devastated by this, as it's hard to imagine our sweet little boy having to go through therapy all day every day. This costs around $50,000 a year. We're hoping my sister and brother in law's insurance will cover most/all of it. If not, we're planning to pull together as a family to make it work. We just want to give him the best chance possible at living a healthy, happy life. It is so encouraging to hear about stories like yours. I will share this with my sister, it will give her some hope.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.

This made me SO incredibly happy. I'm tearing up. :'( I wish there was an emoji for happy tears!

• FluffySandwich
    Options

I have a cousin that pronounces it closer to "crown"
    HOW?

When I was in high school my English teacher decided to put some words on the board and see how we pronounced them. When it got to my turn I got stuck with the word "route." I started saying it one way, then switched and said it the other way. When people started laughing I said "I say both!"

... I pronounce "both" as "BOLTH." I got laughed at quite a bit :lol: It's just the way I said it in my head when I learned how to read.

• MoHousdon
    edited July 2015
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

I call it soda pop, but one of my brothers calls it Coke. As in, "What kind of Coke do you want? Sprite or Pepsi?"
    I don't get this at all :lol: Coke is just ONE drink! If I asked for coke and someone asked me ''What coke do you want?'' I'd be like ''Uhhh... coke? :neutral: " I wonder... which specific region in the US/anywhere else calls it coke?

If someone asked me that I would have thought they were asking if I wanted fat coke, diet coke, coke zero or coke life. Not a completely different fizzy drink all together, lol

You forgot fat Cherry Coke Vanilla Coke Zero. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

fixed! :p

I had a lot of trouble finding my beloved Vanilla Coke Zero last time I was in the US (we don't have it here at all)... hope it's not being discontinued.

Do they make Cherry Coke Zero?! I tried Mr. Mo's Coke Zero and rum the other night and it was decent. I think I could hang with a Cherry Coke Zero if it's available. I could just Google it, but I'm lazy. :smiley:

Yes they do!! That's what I drink!! <3 Or (please don't hurt me ) Diet Dr. Pepper & Diet cherry Dr. Pepper...those aer my go to pop drinks!

I was mixing DP with DDP for a while, but the DDP gives me an upset stomach, so I just drink the full calorie stuff. I will see if I can find DCCZ the next time I'm at the store.

ETA: I'd never hurt you, we're best friends, Laura!

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Congratulations!

All this cherry and vanilla coke talk make me glad there are more and more Freestyle! Coke machines.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    I'm off on vacation tomorrow morning. When we went away in March I was nearly 20lbs heavier, yet I decided to throw caution to the wind and wear a bikini and it was fine. Why am I second guessing it this time?!

Because it's a bikini and they're confidence, self-esteem killers. AT least that's how I feel in them. I only went sans coverup once while in Florida and that's only because my brother, his wife, AND Mr. Mo were all going into the ocean and I didn't want to be a fuddy duddy left on the beach alone.

Wear the bikini! You'll thank yourself later. Trust me.
    Yes, but that's what I did earlier this year when I was heavier. This time around I feel much more self conscious, even though I've lost quite a lot more weight. Trying to understand why...

Maybe you're more body conscious now.

I have people telling me all the time that I shouldn't worry about what I look like in a swimsuit because they think I look great. My brother even said I dress like an old lady because I'm always so covered up. I'm working on that.

• MoHousdon
    Options
    Keith3481 wrote: »

Do they make Cherry Coke Zero?! I tried Mr. Mo's Coke Zero and rum the other night and it was decent. I think I could hang with a Cherry Coke Zero if it's available. I could just Google it, but I'm lazy. :smiley:

They do make Cherry Coke Zero! We can get them in Kentucky and Tennessee.

My confession: I had pizza yesterday. Twice.

I'm jealous. Twice.

Can't remember the last time I had pizza. Oh wait, yes I can. It was in Florida...3 weeks ago. :(

• FluffySandwich
    Options

Congratulations to him!!! That's incredible!
  • MoHousdon
    Options

You forgot fat Cherry Coke. Which is the best of all of the Cokes.

We finally got Cherry Coke back in the last couple weeks. I was SO excited to see it the store. I was like "I need this, right now"

It is seriously one of life's hardest decisions deciding between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper at restaurants that offer both. I feel like I'm Sophie in Sophie's Choice.

Cherry Coke definitely wouldn't be at restaurants here, and not very many places have Dr Pepper. :cry:

I found the same thing in Florida. If they had something, it was usually Mr. Pibb. We've had this discussion before. Mr. Pibb IS NOT DR. PEPPER. I'm pretty sure the next time I go somewhere and ask for a Dr. Pepper and they ask, "Is Mr. Pibb okay?" I'm going to say, "Sure, is Monopoly money okay?!"

• FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    My husband and son headed up camping this morning. (Hubby has more vacation time than me and has to use it before he loses it. I'm heading up after work Friday.) He calls me as they are leaving to tell me they are on their way out. Then he tells me to make sure I lock up the house when I come up Friday, because he ran off a prowler last night while I was asleep. DON'T TELL ME THIS!!! Although I pack a gun and a badge, sleeping in an empty house for two nights knowing there was just a prowler does not insure a good night's sleep.

I am trying to decide if I should leave the dog outside, so she can scare them off, or have her inside with me "for protection."
    Inside... for her protection. :)

She's 160 pounds...She'd probably be bigger than the prowler. LOL

supcdg6pnrj8.jpg

I love her!! Bull mastiff?
    I love how she doesn't look interested in eating the cute little kitten!

Nope. She and the kitty (who's grown up now) are good friends. The cat, Lucky, gets upset if Tig (the mastiff) is outside the sliding glass door wanting in. Lucky will paw at the door from the inside until we get up and let Tig in. Lucky rubs up on Tig and loves on her all the time.

D'awwww so cute!
  • MoHousdon
    Options

I have only heard someone refer to them as bat-trees a couple times. It's annoying. (sorry for those that pronounce it that way).

• WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

I call it soda.
    I just took the quiz and got Worcester MA, Boston MA, and Honolulu HI. Worcester and Boston make sense because I grew up in NH and just moved to ME 3 years ago...both states are right near MA. No idea about Honolulu though!

Apparently my dialect is closest to Boise, Reno, or Spokane. I guess I should move in with @Mohouson. :p

I'm just an hour and half south of Spokane, so you can move in with me and become the pastry chef of the house! :)