Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

Hehehe, that was my thought too. I'm at body weight now for deadlift (will be above on Thursday) and close to on squat (lifted 105 today, I weight 135). My bench this morning was 70, and I think I'm going to be hanging out at 75 for a couple of weeks based on how I barely made 70 today. My overhead press is 60, and I think I'm going to be there for a long time, too. These are 5x5 weights though (you're a fellow SL 5X5-er, right?), so maybe we could do a body weight max on bench?

@quiksylver296 and @WestCoastJo82 I wish I could work out with you ladies. I want so badly to start lifting heavy but I'm so scared I'll hurt myself. I also wish I could get my husband to work out with me, but he has zero interest in that.

Start slow and work your way up! This is one thing that I really like about Stronglifts - it has you start with the empty bar so you can practice good form before it gets heavy (well not all the way empty for deadlifts and rows, but that's because it needs to be off the ground). I do love a work-out buddy though...move to eastern Washington :)

Tempting.

I think I just need to download SL app and start there. I don't have any other friends that work out so I don't have anyone that could be my work out buddy. I guess I could always find some random gym stranger that looks like they know what they're doing to help me. Maybe if I found some hot gym guy, Mr. Mo would be more willing to work out with me. :wink:

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Do any of the wonderful Canadians on here who enjoy mystery/detective novels read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? She's a Canadian author whose novels are set in Canada. Anyhow, I love them. I'm very excited that her newest book in the series will be released on my birthday next month!!

Confession - I'm worried that setting a goal weight will mean that I'll rest on my laurels once I get there, setting me up for gaining it back. I need to change my mind set away from having an "end goal" because then the process is over....and I tend to sprint to the finish, if that makes sense. Like go all out to get to that goal weight, especially now that it's within reach, and then have a let down once I'm there. @pofoster21 How did you handle this? Maybe if I keep setting goals for myself re: fitness challenges or hikes or bike rides, that'll keep me focused on continually improving overall (instead of being weight-focused). Anyone else have tips?

I set a goal of finishing a 5k in under 45 minutes. I have done it and discovered I hate running, but I didn't quit and still run a couple of charity races a year. LOL! so I joined a gym and took some classes and discovered that I enjoy yoga, the Barre is still a killer at creating great calves, and I enjoy lifting with my husband. My new goals are to be able to do crow pose and to bench, deadlift and squat my bodyweight. Good luck!

I also have goals to deadlift, bench, and squat my bodyweight! I'm hoping to accomplish this by the end of the year. My boyfriend says I should hit those goals well before the end of the year...here's hoping!

I can deadlift and squat my body weight...but bench?!? Man, it's gonna take me a loooong time to get there. That or I need to lose a lot of weight. LOL

Hehehe, that was my thought too. I'm at body weight now for deadlift (will be above on Thursday) and close to on squat (lifted 105 today, I weight 135). My bench this morning was 70, and I think I'm going to be hanging out at 75 for a couple of weeks based on how I barely made 70 today. My overhead press is 60, and I think I'm going to be there for a long time, too. These are 5x5 weights though (you're a fellow SL 5X5-er, right?), so maybe we could do a body weight max on bench?

@quiksylver296 and @WestCoastJo82 I wish I could work out with you ladies. I want so badly to start lifting heavy but I'm so scared I'll hurt myself. I also wish I could get my husband to work out with me, but he has zero interest in that.

Start slow and work your way up! This is one thing that I really like about Stronglifts - it has you start with the empty bar so you can practice good form before it gets heavy (well not all the way empty for deadlifts and rows, but that's because it needs to be off the ground). I do love a work-out buddy though...move to eastern Washington :)

I started with 2.5lbs on each end of the bar for deadlift in January. I knew I had to get that form right or my left knee would be lost to surgery. I still back off weight and work back up every time I have knee pain. I will get to my 160 lifts eventually, but I will not blow out my knee on the way. So, yes, start slow and work your way up.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    @Lois_1989 YOU'RE BACK!!!! You have been missed!!!! <3 And now, I am going to find a calculator to see how much you are lifting in lbs, cuz I have no idea.

ETA: Nice lifting, Lois! Those are great numbers (now that I know what they equal)

Ditto!!

And I'm a middle-aged Canadian... the metric system was introduced while I was in school... I can think in both lbs and kg, inches and cm, grams and oz, miles and km, Celsius and Fahrenheit...

I learned the metric system and yet I still have to convert to pounds/oz and feet/inches to have a good understanding of the size of something. Centimetres mean nothing to me, except for snow accumulation lol
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    labohn91 wrote: »
    I like to wear my headphones with no music so I can listen in on peoples conversation.
    Haha! People probably think this is why I cut off one of the earbuds on all my sets of headphones. It is NOT. The reasons are two-fold: 1. I'm deaf in one ear so putting that one in is pointless and 2. It stops my kids from stealing my headphones. :)

I have one snipped off my cycling buds so I can better hear the traffic to my left. :)
    I can't believe I never thought of this. It would definitely be less of a pain than just letting one ear dangle.

For me, it's
    Ice cream >>>>>>>>>> cookies >>>>>> cake and pastries > chocolate

Mmm, pastries. Traditional Arab pastries are at the top of my list, personally. YUM.
    I went to a bakery that sold a lot of Arab desserts and everything looked really good.

• ShibaEars
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    @Lois_1989 YOU'RE BACK!!!! You have been missed!!!! <3 And now, I am going to find a calculator to see how much you are lifting in lbs, cuz I have no idea.

ETA: Nice lifting, Lois! Those are great numbers (now that I know what they equal)

Ditto!!

And I'm a middle-aged Canadian... the metric system was introduced while I was in school... I can think in both lbs and kg, inches and cm, grams and oz, miles and km, Celsius and Fahrenheit...

I can do the bolded, oz completely escape me and so does Fahrenheit. I know there is a little equation to figure out Fahrenheit to Celsius but I can never remember it. :confounded:

No, Fahrenheit doesn't mean a lot to me, except I know over 100 is hot lol
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/

Confession: I make buttercream and eat it without cake. Sometimes I mix in blueberries or strawberries.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I prefer ice cream to cake by FAR. At birthday parties as a kid I sometimes decided to not take cake and just eat ice cream. Especially those gross cakes with the generic icing you can get in grocery stores. Don't know what the type of icing is called... but while kids were screaming for the piece in the center with the most blue frilly icing on it, I was like ''Just give me the end piece." Now one time I had a cake that switched out icing for some delicious strawberry filling and I was all for seconds. :tongue:

This is me, except the strawberry filling part, since I generally hate fruit mixed into any kind of dessert. Most grocery store cakes and even standard bakery cakes taste yucky to me, especially that really weird styrofoam textured icing that they use. It's very, very rare that I find a cake that I actually WANT to eat--there's only ONE bakery in Oman that I enjoy cake from. One. In the whole country. :p (At least it's the only one that I know of, and I've tasted quite a lot.)
    Yes! Styrofoamy is right. I can really love a good home baked cake, though. My sister and I once made a delicious black cherry chocolate cake. You probably wouldn't like it because of the fruit, but maaaan it was delicious. I also love making homemade carrot cakes with CREAM CHEESE icing.

Exactly! When I first met my in-laws, they bought a cake that was supposedly red velvet from a bakery that has a good reputation here in Saudi Arabia. It was terrible--it tasted just like a grocery store cake, stale and styrofoamy. I forced it down out of politeness. :s

The cake bakery that I enjoy makes THE BEST dense, fresh, DELICIOUS cakes with real buttercream icing, cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache, etc. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. I go there every time I visit Oman. I haven't found anything like it in Saudi Arabia. :-/
    :yum: Now I want to make a cake. Nooo! I'm all out of flour and I'm going to TRY not to buy some at the grocery store later today... even if it is handy to have around.
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

ME TOO!!! I thought I was all alone in that line of thinking!! YAYY!!

Nope. ;) I hate all of the ones I know of, fruit pies and fruit-covered cheesecakes included. The fruit just clashes with sugary desserts to me--chocolate covered fruit is the worst. :s
    GASP!!! Chocolate covered strawberries are precious delicious gems! There's a place in North Carolina that has extremely expensive chocolates and chocolate covered strawberries, but they were worth every penny. Yum yum yum.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Ditto!!

I can do the bolded, oz completely escape me and so does Fahrenheit. I know there is a little equation to figure out Fahrenheit to Celsius but I can never remember it. :confounded:

I cheat o:) I have an app that converts for me so I can convert it quickly and talk to SO about celcius temps like I know what I'm talking about hahaha

Well in my opinion:

0-10C - Cold to chilly (warm jacket)
    10-20C - Chilly to cardigan weather
    20-30C - Cardigan to perfect
    30C + = WAY too hot for me.

26-28C is my perfect weather
    Starts at 0?? Update for Western Canada:
    -0 to -10C - Getting chilly - maybe wear a jacket out. Gloves too, if it's windy. T-shirt ok if it's still and sunny.
    -10 to -15C - Really should wear a jacket. Snow boots too, possibly.
    -15 to -20C - Ok, now it's getting a bit cold. Don't hang around too long outside.
    -20 to -30C - Ugh, Calgary weather! Do not lick lampost. Very fast dog walks.
    -30 to -40C - Time to hibernate with Netflix.
    -40 and colder - YOU DIE!!!!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

:yum: Now I want to make a cake. Nooo! I'm all out of flour and I'm going to TRY not to buy some at the grocery store later today... even if it is handy to have around.

Nope. ;) I hate all of the ones I know of, fruit pies and fruit-covered cheesecakes included. The fruit just clashes with sugary desserts to me--chocolate covered fruit is the worst. :s
    GASP!!! Chocolate covered strawberries are precious delicious gems! There's a place in North Carolina that has extremely expensive chocolates and chocolate covered strawberries, but they were worth every penny. Yum yum yum.
    Um, have you had cheesecake stuffed chocolate covered strawberries?!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Susie, can I ask a question? How did you end up in Saudi Arabia from Oman?

Because my husband is a Saudi, and he (and his family) lives and works in Saudi Arabia. I relocated directly after the wedding, which was in Oman.

That was my guess. Thanks.
  • ShibaEars
    edited July 2015
    Options

Ditto!!

I cheat o:) I have an app that converts for me so I can convert it quickly and talk to SO about celcius temps like I know what I'm talking about hahaha

Well in my opinion:

I think 20C weather is perfect. I cannot handle heat well... so I suppose it's good I live where I do lol.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Tempting.

I think I just need to download SL app and start there. I don't have any other friends that work out so I don't have anyone that could be my work out buddy. I guess I could always find some random gym stranger that looks like they know what they're doing to help me. Maybe if I found some hot gym guy, Mr. Mo would be more willing to work out with me. :wink:

Ummm, NO! If she moves anywhere, she's moving to Boise!
  • FluffySandwich
    Options

Ditto!!

Well in my opinion:

-0 to -10C - Getting chilly - maybe wear a jacket out. Gloves too, if it's windy. T-shirt ok if it's still and sunny.
    -15 to -20C - Ok, now it's getting a bit cold. Don't hang around too long outside.
    -10C (14 F) is "getting chilly?" Oh man. I know I've been living in Canada for four years and all but the winter weather is just terrible. I guess it's even worse in western Canada? :( In the South we would have all been dying at -10 C.

• WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Tempting.

Random gym strangers are usually very happy to help. The Stronglifts website has TONS of videos and pdfs you can download that go through what your form should be like in super high detail. I really like the simplicity of the program and app. Go for it Mo! (and good luck finding a hot gym man to help "encourage" Mr. Mo ;) )
  • ShibaEars
    Options

Ditto!!

Well in my opinion:

Agreed, except the last part. 22 C is perfect weather to me. Nice and cool, but not at all cold. 30C is hot but manageable. I invite you to come and experience 50C with me. ;)

I would instantly melt into a puddle.
  • FluffySandwich
    Options

Um, have you had cheesecake stuffed chocolate covered strawberries?!

What the-?! Whoever made that creation needs a thumbs up. Those sounds really good to me :lol:
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Tempting.

Ummm, NO! If she moves anywhere, she's moving to Boise!

You can come, too @quiksylver296! :) We can start our own lifting-ladies club!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'm a baby when it comes to cold weather because I'm not really used to it here in Texas. I'm cold in 13C weather. :laugh:
  • ShibaEars
    Options

Ditto!!

Well in my opinion:

LOL, thanks for the updated list :smiley: I will walk my dog down to -25C (short walks, but we'll still go). If it's +23C or higher though, forget it!

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Ditto!!

Well in my opinion:

-10C (14 F) is "getting chilly?" Oh man. I know I've been living in Canada for four years and all but the winter weather is just terrible. I guess it's even worse in western Canada? :( In the South we would have all been dying at -10 C.

I know it's just what you're used to and all but it still makes me giggle every year to watch people in more temperate climates on the news freaking out over a little bit of snow or a "cold snap" when I'm up here still walking 1/2 hour to work every day when it's -40C. We still ski when it's -30, too, all day outside in the mountains.

Of course, I'm also the one who confessed to wearing a blanket toga around the house when the AC is on in the middle of summer, so I'm clearly an odd combination of delicate-constantly-freezing-flower and hardy prairie Canadian.

ETA: When I moved to southern Spain everyone was like "oh, you're gonna die, you're gonna hate it, it's soooo hot and humid and you have no idea," and it was totally fine. +45C and humid is NBD in my books, haha.