55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    All, I belong to a locally-owned gym and some of the folks that belong & use it are in their 70s & 80s--more power to them and may we follow in their footsteps! B)
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    Is this a group somewhere? Or is the thread the group? I love these success stories, it makes me realize that I can't use my age and post menopausal state as an excuse not to succeed. As a side note, I love wine and build it in a couple of times a week. I'll walk or workout extra so I can make it a "sum zero" addition to my day!

No you can't use age as an excuse. I am 68 and have lost 36 lbs in the last 3 years by watching my calories in and exercising more (calories out). Now I am below goal of 129 and trying to maintain. This is a way of life for me and I feel so much better. 6njlvrz4gfvz.jpg

Pic is of me with two of my grandsons at OBX hiking up Jockeys Ridge.
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Just came across this thread this morning as I am signing into MFP one more time to try to take this weight off. I am 61 and have gotten so frustrated trying to take off this weight. I have gone to Weight Watchers and lost the weight before, but just too much $$ now. I am committed this time and love that I found this thread to check in with.

I have lost 36 lbs and it did not cost me a dime. Love MFP.
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    All, I belong to a locally-owned gym and some of the folks that belong & use it are in their 70s & 80s--more power to them and may we follow in their footsteps! B)

<3 could not agree more.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Puhleeze! 70+ is Not very old. And not unusual either, not in my gym anyway!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Yeah, but some of these folks are using walkers! And true, the closer you get to the 70s & 80s it doesn't look old. My comment was that they are an inspiration for us to keep on going. B)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @thisnewmenow , I don't belong to a gym, weight watchers or anything else. I have lost 60+ pounds for free (well, except buying an elliptical/bike at Wallyworld and a rowing machine on line). Walking and running are free. There are tons of free exercise videos on youtube. You will find there is a lot of support here! Welcome :smile:
  • thisnewmenow
    thisnewmenow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. So far, so good!!! Really appreciate the motivational comments, it does make a difference.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Got a complement @ the gym this morning; an older guy commented on that fact that I try to lift heavy (most exercises anyway); was doing deadlifts w/a 50 lb BB. Not "there" yet, but getting there. B)
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    krenwren, I finally made it to my goal (actually went past it and need to gain a couple back). I upped my calories, cut back on the sugar (added & naturally occurring). I hit a couple of plateaus along the way but kept at it. I started eating "real" food (vs. man-made); switched out the powdered creamer for regular half & half; packages of plain frozen veggies, etc. For sweetener I use either Agave Nectar or liquid Stevia (a plant sweetener). Good luck, you'll make it.B)
    Do you have a limit on the amount of sugar in grams? I am trying to cut out all processed sugar but with the amount of dairy (FF greek yogurt and fruit) I can rack up 60-80 grams a day. Thanks, Karen
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Karen, Yes; I have MFP set for 45 gm and try to keep it between 45 & 60 (though I do over sometimes); I'm including both natural and added (trying to keep the added as low as I can (I know choc chips--but I only eat abt a TBSP and only after dinner). So most of my sugar comes from natural sources. That was my problem, wasn't aware how much sugar I was eating; when I started watching it I lost abt 11 lbs (in abt 6 weeks). Any time. Chris B)
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am working with a dietician, who has told me to really focus on the calories. Exercise is good - but because so few calories are used up in exercise, it shouldn't be my main focus. However....for ME, when I exercise, I feel more motivated and energetic when I put exercise at the top of the list. Today I cleaned the garage for 5 hours - maybe more!! I put in MFP for only 4 hours of light cleaning....and it added up to over 800 calories. I must say, I am exhausted, and the garage looks great.

Thanks for sharing your stories of the gym. I do think that, well for me anyway, exercise is key.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Has anything happen with this group??? I'm 65 married 41 years and have 200 to lose. Need lots of ideas n support . Thanks Gayle Minneapolis 17761776
  • griffinca2
    Options
    We're here for you! Keep in mind that is a journey and that you will probably mess up along the way (we all do). It is a lifestyle, not a "diet" w/an end date and like I read in a fitness mag; "it is a process, not a project." Make small changes you can live with (if you don't like ___, don't eat it because someone says you have to). I use frozen veggies and cook them in Pyrex in my microwave--it has a fresh veggie & a frozen veggie button) and then season them when done. Don't end up w/mushy veggies. B)
  • bunnyhugger2015
    bunnyhugger2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I'm 52, but post-menopausal by a couple of years. My step-son lost 42 pounds on mfp and turned me onto it (he's only 16. I'm so happy for and proud of him!).
    I've had a tough time on WW before because I just get too freaking hungry. I'm a software engineer and sit at a desk all day so I considered myself sedentary. But, once I leave work, I don't sit down until 10-10:30 at night. I have/ride horses and spend a lot of time in the barn. So, with mfp, I set my profile up as "active" and am finding the calorie allotment much more realistic and livable. I've lost 12 pounds the first month! I started at 165, 5'6".
    I've read some of the lifting heavy success stories and I think I'm going to give the 5x5 a go. I'm not ready to let age be an obstacle yet (that said, I haven't experienced a lot of the painful physical difficulties many of you have. I have so much respect for you all who have managed to overcome and even manage the awful pain and even disabilities you've faced!)
  • griffinca2
    Options
    I don't do the 5X5, but I have been doing heavy weights @ the gym I belong to. Starting next week going to lighten up some to try and lose some body fat and increase muscle mass. Started what they call Recomp (Recomposition); you can find the thread for it under "Maintaining." I have already noticed some small changes (it is a slow process and basically for those at (or near) their maintenance weight). BTW, I'm 64 (be 65 in Sep.) and do BB rows and deadlifts w/a 50 lb BB, so don't be afraid of the weights. Just know your own limits and listen to your body when you exercise. Good luck!! B)
  • krenwren
    Options
    I somehow deleted a friend request, to whom ever it was, please feel free to try again!
  • thisnewmenow
    thisnewmenow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just had to check in after my first week - lost 2.5 lbs with a goal of losing 40 lbs. Feel good about this especially cause I have not been exercising. Suffering from plantar fasciitis and treating at home. Next week I will start exercising and hopefully get better results!!
  • krenwren
    Options
    That's awesome news @thisnewmenow. You can't do better than 2.5 pounds in a week, that's weight that will stay off.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Congrats @thisnewmenow ! Keep up the great work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!