Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Addiction - A Different Perspective

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Craving something is not the same as being addicted to something. An addict a physical need for a substance, such that if they don't get it, there are physiological responses that manifest: shakes, sweats, chills, etc. A craving is a desire for something, and it certainly exists, just ask any pregnant woman, but if the desire is not met, the same physiological response does not occur.

No one ever said that a person can't crave certain foods.

True, with substance addictions. Which is why there is no substance addiction with food.

Now, there are such things as behavioral addictions (gambling, sex).

As has been duly noted in the research in this thread, and I will keep reiterating, I'll even post in capital letters:

AS OF NOW, SCIENCE DOES NOT SUPPORT THE IDEA OF AN ADDICTION TO ANY FOOD SUBSTANCE IN HUMANS.

There is a call for the addition of the diagnosis of "Eating Addiction" to the DSM as a behavioral construct in the review Caitwn posted, and there's other research to support this, including that being done by the authors of the Yale Food Addiction Scale.

That being said, the parameters which define behavioral addiction to food? Are likely to be quite narrow.

• PeachyCarol
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    As far as I know, no one has ever started a "Help!!! I crave _________" thread, so bringing up the issue of craving, or appealing to it in the context of this thread is sort of besides the point.

No one argues that people get urges for different foods at different times, and most people don't tend to find them problematic, either. I certainly never thought my pregnancy cravings were problems. Unless you count craving cantaloupe in the dead of winter a problem. Because it was. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Again, to reiterate, the point is science does not support the notion that IN HUMANS the substance is the problem. The problem is the behavior behind the substance. The key to breaking the bad behavior pattern with the substance is understanding what lead to it.

Unfortunately for a lot of people who think the problem is the food itself, they have to do a lot of hard thinking to analyze WHY their eating is out of control to begin to address it.
    Disagree. It is the food. I quit the white pasta because if I ate it, I craved more. NB: I didn't eat more. I craved more.

The craving was annoying, so I quit it. Plus, whole wheat pasta is healthier, so good on that.

The craving wouldn't go away until I'd had a good night's sleep. It was when I began reading here that I found others had the same issue.

It's a thing. It's real. It might not happen to everyone, but it happens.

If this is unrelated to the whole "You're not addicted!", though, I'll be happy to drop it.

You can disagree until the cows come home, but the scientific EVIDENCE does not support your FEELINGS.

White pasta and whole wheat pasta have the same blood sugar impact. (GI/GL)

But yes, this is unrelated, unless you are willing to admit that you might have had some possible hedonic response to the white pasta which triggered an emotional connection or something deeper, it's probably best to drop it. As I said, this requires THINKING.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    One of the saddest days of my life was discovering the existence of cider donuts. After I'd been diagnosed with celiac disease. I can only enjoy the smell of them when we go apple picking and get some for the family.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, no one has ever started a "Help!!! I crave _________" thread, so bringing up the issue of craving, or appealing to it in the context of this thread is sort of besides the point.

No one argues that people get urges for different foods at different times, and most people don't tend to find them problematic, either. I certainly never thought my pregnancy cravings were problems. Unless you count craving cantaloupe in the dead of winter a problem. Because it was. Couldn't find it anywhere.

Again, to reiterate, the point is science does not support the notion that IN HUMANS the substance is the problem. The problem is the behavior behind the substance. The key to breaking the bad behavior pattern with the substance is understanding what lead to it.

Unfortunately for a lot of people who think the problem is the food itself, they have to do a lot of hard thinking to analyze WHY their eating is out of control to begin to address it.
    Disagree. It is the food. I quit the white pasta because if I ate it, I craved more. NB: I didn't eat more. I craved more.

The craving was annoying, so I quit it. Plus, whole wheat pasta is healthier, so good on that.

The craving wouldn't go away until I'd had a good night's sleep. It was when I began reading here that I found others had the same issue.

If this is unrelated to the whole "You're not addicted!", though, I'll be happy to drop it.

You can disagree until the cows come home, but the scientific EVIDENCE does not support your FEELINGS.

But yes, this is unrelated, unless you are willing to admit that you might have had some possible hedonic response to the white pasta which triggered an emotional connection or something deeper, it's probably best to drop it. As I said, this requires THINKING.
    Very cute, with the THINKING. Lol.

I don't think I have an emotional connection to pasta, lol. No. I just noticed that when I had it, I wanted more. All day. I didn't look for it. I noticed it after it happened.

Since I didn't eat more, I'll vote No on hedonistic behavior, too.

As I said, I didn't overeat the pasta. I craved it. Others have had the same response. We crave it only if we eat it, though. Not before. Comes after. Do you THINK there might be some connection there? Even if you cannot google...I mean "research" it and find a name for it...when you THINK, do you notice a connection?
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Sometimes a craving really is a craving. One day the science will support it. They will give it a name. Then people who don't believe it will be able to google it...or as so many people like to call it, "research" it...and will be able to believe it.

The science supporting the existence of cravings has been in existence for a very long time. But that's not what this thread is addressing.

You seem interested in that topic, so I'd suggest googling it since you don't seem to believe that there are some actual researchers commenting in this thread. The information you get via google may not be robust, but it should be adequate to get you started on your learning journey.
    I think it's relevant. I think it's actually at the core of this. Cravings and addictions.

When I want to learn about something, I am not limited to googling. I don't even consider googling something to be research.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Personally and professionally, I can accept the label of "eating addiction" rather than "food addiction". I still believe far too many people (frankly, the majority of those claiming to be food "addicts") apply the "addiction" label to themselves when they're really just talking about the fact that they eat too much and need to stop it. But within that larger group is the much smaller subset of folks who have always left me feeling concerned, because when they are able to articulate their experiences, it sure as hell sounds like addiction to me.

Highlights from the article:
    • Evidence for addiction to specific macronutrients is lacking in humans.
    • “Eating addiction” describes a behavioral addiction.
    • An “eating addiction” is not necessarily associated with obesity.
    • Obesity prevention strategies should focus on “eating addiction”.
    • Consider “eating addiction” as a disorder in DSM-5 “Non-Substance-Related Disorders”.

I think eating addiction is probably a better description. though, I would say lack of macronutrients is not always the case

That's not what is being said here - what is being said is that there is a lack of evidence that there is an addiction to a specific macronutrient - as when people say they are addicted to carbohydrates (re:sugar), or fat.

oh, yup, I misread that

shell1005 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Great post ! I think its definitely a behavioral issue and definitely isn't the same as a heroin addict . a lot of people reach for excuses to justify their behavior .

Exactly.

And since the topic of craving is being unfortunately being forced into this discussion. Cravings are often a symptom of the disease of addiction, but because one has a craving does not make them an addict. Additionally, I'd say with food the craving is often for the emotional and behavior component of what that food means or represents.

Example: Whenever I go apple picking, I crave cider donuts. I crave them because they are delicious, but also because they are heavily linked with the experience of apple picking with my family. The craving in and of itself does not mean I am addicted in any sense of the word.

I think we have to realize that different words mean different things to different people and that we rarely use the same words with the same understanding as the other person we are speaking to.

humans speak frequently figuratively and connotatively

if I say I am craving a cider donut, I probably don't mean I will go to extreme measures to get but I have a strong desire for it
    but at the same time, cravings can be completely consuming. an addict might say he is craving his fix, but it's not the same as me saying I crave a donut. and I certainly didn't mean it the same either.

Yes, exactly.

I think a lot of the time when people say they are "addicted" and ask for advice what they are actually saying is they feel powerless or do not know how to control themselves in the face of an intense desire, compulsion or craving to eat.

Do they really need to know why that is to be successful in reprogramming detrimental behaviour? Sure it could be useful but what is far more valuable, and far more lacking on these forums, is actual methods and strategies to implement the how irrespective of the why apart from advice like trying self control or willpower which I suspect most people have considered before asking for advice...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a craving really is a craving. One day the science will support it. They will give it a name. Then people who don't believe it will be able to google it...or as so many people like to call it, "research" it...and will be able to believe it.

The science supporting the existence of cravings has been in existence for a very long time. But that's not what this thread is addressing.

You seem interested in that topic, so I'd suggest googling it since you don't seem to believe that there are some actual researchers commenting in this thread. The information you get via google may not be robust, but it should be adequate to get you started on your learning journey.
    I think it's relevant. I think it's actually at the core of this. Cravings and addictions.

When I want to learn about something, I am not limited to googling. I don't even consider googling something to be research.

While there is a lot of junk on the internet, if one uses discernment Google can certainly be a tool used in research.
  • Kalikel
    Options

While there is a lot of junk on the internet, if one uses discernment Google can certainly be a tool used in research.

True dat.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I don't think I have an emotional connection to pasta, lol. No. I just noticed that when I had it, I wanted more. All day. I didn't look for it. I noticed it after it happened.

As I said, I didn't overeat the pasta. I craved it. Others have had the same response. We crave it only if we eat it, though. Not before. Comes after. Do you THINK there might be some connection there? Even if you cannot google...I mean "research" it and find a name for it...when you THINK, do you notice a connection?

Hedonic response isn't hedonistic behavior.

Google it. It's about enjoying taste or texture or some other sensory input.

I capitalized the word thinking to stress the importance of it in the process, not to mock you.

If you do not wish to delve further into your behavior, then yes, you're derailing the thread.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Are you aware of the Google Scholar research data base?

• Kalikel
    Options

I capitalized the word thinking to stress the importance of it in the process, not to mock you.

If you do not wish to delve further into your behavior, then yes, you're derailing the thread.
    I don't think I am derailing. The cravings go hand-in-hand with the addiction.

You aren't suggesting that the cravings aren't real, are you? I'm sure you aren't.

So, when you connect the craving to having eaten a food and you THINK about it, do you see a connection?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Personally and professionally, I can accept the label of "eating addiction" rather than "food addiction". I still believe far too many people (frankly, the majority of those claiming to be food "addicts") apply the "addiction" label to themselves when they're really just talking about the fact that they eat too much and need to stop it. But within that larger group is the much smaller subset of folks who have always left me feeling concerned, because when they are able to articulate their experiences, it sure as hell sounds like addiction to me.

• Consider “eating addiction” as a disorder in DSM-5 “Non-Substance-Related Disorders”.

I think eating addiction is probably a better description. though, I would say lack of macronutrients is not always the case

That's not what is being said here - what is being said is that there is a lack of evidence that there is an addiction to a specific macronutrient - as when people say they are addicted to carbohydrates (re:sugar), or fat.

oh, yup, I misread that

Great post ! I think its definitely a behavioral issue and definitely isn't the same as a heroin addict . a lot of people reach for excuses to justify their behavior .

Exactly.

And since the topic of craving is being unfortunately being forced into this discussion. Cravings are often a symptom of the disease of addiction, but because one has a craving does not make them an addict. Additionally, I'd say with food the craving is often for the emotional and behavior component of what that food means or represents.

Example: Whenever I go apple picking, I crave cider donuts. I crave them because they are delicious, but also because they are heavily linked with the experience of apple picking with my family. The craving in and of itself does not mean I am addicted in any sense of the word.

I think we have to realize that different words mean different things to different people and that we rarely use the same words with the same understanding as the other person we are speaking to.

if I say I am craving a cider donut, I probably don't mean I will go to extreme measures to get but I have a strong desire for it
    but at the same time, cravings can be completely consuming. an addict might say he is craving his fix, but it's not the same as me saying I crave a donut. and I certainly didn't mean it the same either.

Yes, exactly.

I think a lot of the time when people say they are "addicted" and ask for advice what they are actually saying is they feel powerless or do not know how to control themselves in the face of an intense desire, compulsion or craving to eat.

Do they really need to know why that is to be successful in reprogramming detrimental behaviour? Sure it could be useful but what is far more valuable, and far more lacking on these forums, is actual methods and strategies to implement the how irrespective of the why apart from advice like trying self control or willpower which I suspect most people have considered before asking for advice...

Unfortunately, there might not be a one-size fits all solution here.

There are likely many individualized reasons why people are engaged in such behaviors, and the real way to get to an effective coping strategy likely deals with uncovering the cause of the problem in the first place.

That's why I think coming up with a list of suggestions in this thread isn't likely going to happen.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

I don't think I am derailing. The cravings go hand-in-hand with the addiction.

You aren't suggesting that the cravings aren't real, are you? I'm sure you aren't.

So, when you connect the craving to having eaten a food and you THINK about it, do you see a connection?

There is no addiction to a food substance. It does not exist.

I said I was not mocking you, please stop mocking me.

I was stressing the importance of thinking as part of the process of digging to the root of behavioral issues.

If you want to discuss the topic at hand, since you keep asserting that addiction to substance exists, you should provide more than your "craving" for evidence.

Ample proof has been shown here that no such scientific support for any claims of substantive addiction to any food exist in humans.

Craving =/= addiction.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My position is that whether or not a person is actually addicted is not especially relevant. What's important is how are they going to manage their relationship with that food. If they feel that they are addicted, something's not working, and something needs to change. That change may take different forms depending on the person and where they are in their journey. There were several good examples in the OP:
    The second thing to do might be to look a little further to see if there's a reason the cycle of behavior became entrenched in the first place. Were you eating in response to emotional/mood triggers and then feeling remorse after indulging? Did you find yourself eating because you were stressed or mildly depressed (serious depression should be handled professionally), or bored?

Well, if you keep digging for answers, that's the first step to finding solutions :) Exercise is a great stress reliever and good for a case of feeling down. Some people like meditative hobbies like coloring or knitting helpful or woodworking... or actual meditation. Pampering activities like long showers or luxurious baths are good for both stress and mild cases of the blues. Replace the bad habit you've formed with food with a new habit in response to your emotional catalyst.

I'll share my personal experience. What worked for me might not work for you. If you have an extreme case, you might need something like cognitive behavioral therapy.

Personally, I just needed time. Time away from the foods I had trouble with and time to reframe my thinking. Once my head was on straight, and I stopped feeling guilt surrounding my consumption of food, I was ready to eat what used to be problematic food (ice cream, brownies, cheese) again. I no longer consider myself "addicted" and I can eat these things in moderation. I also incorporated exercise into my life and find it's an excellent stress reliever!

When a person posts that they are addicted and need help, giving information like in the OP is useful, while saying "No you're not" is not.

Many people who claim an addiction have a certain mindset. They feel powerless. Sometimes what the person needs to do is realize that this is not the case; they do have power over what goes into their mouth. But they have to be willing to put in the effort to regain that control. It's not true for everyone, but sometimes taking that initial ownership can be a step in the right direction.

I absolutely agree that people do have power over what goes into their mouths and think 12 step programs do many people a disservice with their notion of powerlessness over addiction.

Have you ever been to a 12 step program before? Or, are you just jumping to an assumption? I ask this with the sincere intent of trying to find out where you are coming from.

Bottom line: food and drugs are not the same. You can't be physically addicted to food but you can be physically addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. Powerlessness over addiction is not a "notion," but very real. If you go into any room of recovery, you will learn this.

If you are truly addicted to something you cannot just stop because it is a physical addiction first, then a spiritual/emotional one next. Food does not cause physical addictions, though I believe our mind can convince us otherwise.

Yes, I have been to many 12 step meetings (AA, NA, OA, and Al Anon), in various locations in three different states, but the vast majority were to support friends, as I didn't find the powerless model useful for me. I do have the power to decide what goes in my body.

I also went to I believe one each Smart Recovery and Rational Recovery meetings and found them much more useful. I didn't keep going because I stopped drinking. I also left my husband and moved to a yoga retreat center, so I made a variety of changes and cannot attribute one change to my success in transforming my relationship with alcohol.

That was in 2001. I can drink moderately now. I was having a glass of wine a few times per month until April when I started MFP again and now I'm not drinking due to not wanting the empty calories. I have a full bar and am not tempted by it.

However, I would never suggest to someone who is finding AA helpful that they too can drink in moderation, just as I would never suggest to someone who feels that they should avoid Pepsi or M&Ms that they can eat those in moderation. We don't need Pepsi and M&Ms any more than we need alcohol.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The point at which claiming food addiction gets to me is when you are relating that to cocaine etc.

To watch someone come down off of an actual addiction and watch the physical part of it...the vomiting the shakes the pain they are in....that's my issue.

Food addiction in itself...no.

Eating addiction...perhaps....but only due to the ability to allow for sex and gambling addictions.

ETA: good post OP.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So how would we describe what people feel? A compulsion? Loss of control? What words could we give to people who say, "Help, I'm addicted to sugar!" to help them? Instead of just telling them, no, you're not addicted?

I've been trying "what do you mean by that? are there specific times and situations when you tend to overeat or feel out of control?"

What I think it is is habit, which can be very powerful and feel like a compulsion. But habits can be broken or replaced.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

oh, yup, I misread that

Exactly.

Yes, exactly.

Unfortunately, there might not be a one-size fits all solution here.

There are likely many individualized reasons why people are engaged in such behaviors, and the real way to get to an effective coping strategy likely deals with uncovering the cause of the problem in the first place.

That's why I think coming up with a list of suggestions in this thread isn't likely going to happen.

Yes, I think you are right that there is no one size fits all solution and getting a person to reflect on the root causes of their issues can help move them forwards.

That said, knowing something intellectually isn't worth all that much if you can't translate it into tangible action and as such some discussion on practical strategies (depending on the context of course) is worth all the knowing in the world.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

People don't question that cravings exist (I suspect most of us have experienced them). We question that a craving means addiction.

Oddly enough, my issues with alcohol, which I think were addictive, weren't about cravings at all.