Do men notice?

Options

Replies

• noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yep, men are afraid, like many of you said!

My fiance's friend said to me, "I could tell you lost alot of weight, but I didn't want to say anything because your his woman!" He was worried about sounding like he was hitting on me, which so would not be the case!

This weekend I saw some friends I hadn't seen in months and the girl right away said, "wow, you have lost alot of weight!" And I was excited and like, "thank you!" and her boyfriend was like, "geeze, that was rude!" I'm like - "no it's not. Thanks for noticing!"

Alot of girls would probably freak out and be offended. But hello, it's no secret I was obese before and now I am at a healthy weight! You can't expect people to be blind!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Oh....and by the way...of course we notice.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It TOTALLY sounds like a chat-up line if a guy asks a woman if they've lost weight! That's why we never say anything, but believe me, WE NOTICE!! :bigsmile:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    men are trained from a very young age not to talk about a woman's weight.

Ditto.

This is pretty much a given.

It would right up there with guessing a woman's age.
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    At first I got alot of complements from men that I've known for a long time and then, after losing about 20 lbs. they started telling me that I was getting to skinny. They would tell my husband that he needed to feed me and things like that. But I think for the most part, it's such a touch subject that men figure that the best move is just to keep their mouths shut!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Are men allowed to notice? I've seen many threads on here where the women berate men for being so shallow as to give a woman more attention when they get thinner.

I agree with cghiggins, it's harder for husbands to notice.

But men out in our normal social lives, in this day and age, if they're smart, they don't notice.
    THIS ^^^ We definitely notice, but society has blasted us for even the slightest remarks about a woman's appearance - unless your family or something. We've been taught to just keep it shut. Sorry, I don't like it either.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    my man noticed last night...I was standing in the kitchen and he was staring at me...so I asked if I was wearing something of his, and he said no, but that I looked skinny...
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Are men allowed to notice? I've seen many threads on here where the women berate men for being so shallow as to give a woman more attention when they get thinner.

I agree with cghiggins, it's harder for husbands to notice.

But men out in our normal social lives, in this day and age, if they're smart, they don't notice.
    THIS ^^^ We definitely notice, but society has blasted us for even the slightest remarks about a woman's appearance - unless your family or something. We've been taught to just keep it shut. Sorry, I don't like it either.

You guys rock-- I only read this page, but you and Road Dog just rock--

I won't get on my soapbox about how hard it must be in this pc world to be a man-- after all, I'm not one-- ha-- but, the stuff we women put you through is nuts--

You can say this, but you can't say that unless you say it this way with that look on your face, but only when I'm in this mood on this day of the month, but definitely not that day, and only if my mother hasn't called to already piss me off-- it's madness!!!

you guys just rock--
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Yes they do, but they don't always say it. I had a couple guys at work notice my weight loss (last year when I was actually losing weight) but I've known them for years. Depends on their personalities, too. But I believe they do notice. They like to look, you know.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My husband notices and says so...sometimes. I know what I started out looking like, and I know he loved me. So I love it when he compliments my thiness. I know he still loves me, and is into me.
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Some men do and some men don't. When it comes to husbands and boyfriends, I think they don't notice as much because they always see you, so the loss is very gradual and they just get used to it. As for people who only see you a few times a month or less, they will notice more because the difference since the last time they seen you will be more significant.

Most men I know are not very observant when it comes to things like that. I saw someone post something the other day, similar to this, and I agreed. She said she thinks men don't notice when things get smaller, only when things get bigger!!:laugh:
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Women look and study other women more, it's in our make-up (not necessarily biological but I couldn’t think of a better word) to be more competitive on goals/standards portrayed by the media. Men look at women's bodies for the overall package or good attributes but they won't notice a bra strap roll of fat like another woman would.

Although it seems to be a near consensus on the opinion that men avoid complimenting on weight loss out of fear on the uncertaintly of how the woman will react. But I disagree. I think the point Heathersmilez makes plays a bigger factor. Women check out other women more than men do.....and they are more critical than men. That is how women are able to notice even the smallest changes in weight...whereas it would take substantially more of a change for men to notice. This is also part of the reason why there is a differential between men and women for noticing other things like subtle changes in hairstyle, make-up, etc.
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think some men do notice but are afraid to say anything incase we take it the wrong way. I was at work one day around the time I had dropped to 145LB and a man 15 years younger than me said he had to ask me something but was shy about it. He asked if I lost weight. I told him never to be shy about asking me that. I take it as a compliment.
    On the other hand recently I had 3 ladies at work tell me it looks like I lost weight and I don't believe them. I feel the same and clothes fits the same (so far).
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend notices the littlest tiny things.. like my arms or my legs or stomach slimming. but that also could be because he's a trainer :P
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think its hard for a husband and wife to notice any difference since they see so much of each other. I have noticed it was people who I have not seen in some time that give the compliments.

This is very true. Sadly my wife dropped 30 pounds and I did not really notice because it was a slow thing and I see her daily. I did notice and comment that her jeans were baggy on her butt and she should get some new ones. ;-) SO I guess we just notice the clothes when they start to get baggy. I think overall women notice it much more than men, not sure why.
  • simplysarahd
    Options
    I think they do not. I don't think it's that they don't notice, but I think some men struggle with details so while your DH probably notices you looking healthier and more radiant he may not be able to put his finger on why- and some other guys are afraid to comment because it could be taken as an insult to your former self (meaning you used to be heavy.)

I agree with this!! My husband only notices when I lose more than 15 lbs. He never congratulates a woman on her weight loss UNLESS she mentions her weight loss first. Also, it would have to be a lot of weight for him to notice.
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Wondering do men notice weight loss on women? I have gotten a lot of responses from women saying< Hey I see you slimming down but as for the men, not really getting that many compliments including my husband.

If you are talking about men in the workplace, they may notice...but if they have any brains, they keep their mouths shut else risking a sexual harassment complaint where the purpose of the investigation is to protect the complainant (and, in many cases, the safest thing to do from the employer's perspective is just fire the target of the complaint)

No joking around on this one...
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    We do, I just think at times weight is a bit of a touchy subject and guys don't come out and say it

I have to agree. That is a very touchy subject for some women so some times it is best not to say anything at all...unless they ask....

I guess I can understand that, but it would be nice to hear it if you guys notice it too. I for one would not be offended especially since I work my butt off so that I do look good for my hubby :smile:
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My hubby notices and I have had guys comment on my weight loss. I guess a lot of it depends on how comfortable they are to actually bring it up to you.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have to agree: men DO notice, but some can spot smaller differences than others... My husband regularly gives me compliments but insists that every transition I've had has had its advantages... (I've had 5 pregnancies). My neighbour told another neighbour about my weight loss, and then she told me about it... My friend's husband made a comment after I left - so she called me the next day to tell me:laugh:

I love the "stumbling onto a wasp's nest" analogy! Unfortunately, it's true!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!