Diet soda

Options
what happens if I swap my water for diet caffein free coke? Am I still getting the adequate hydration?

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Probably. It's still mostly water. You might just feel bloated.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is water. Drink the diet coke.
  • Chayacandoit
    Chayacandoit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of chemicals in it still. It can set you up for more sugar cravings later...but my DIETITIAN drinks 2 cans a week! :) I'd say anything is fine in moderation!
  • Chayacandoit
    Chayacandoit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of using a dietician. Has seeing one helped and if so how? Any hidden benefits you didn't expect?
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    What is a water diet? There is nothing wrong with drinking a diet coke. If you enjoy it, drink one, just learn to drink in moderation.
    Losing weight is all about consuming less calories than you burn off. I suggest learning how to fit the things you love into your calorie goals, that way, you don't have to suffer through cravings or completely eliminate something from your diet. A food scale also goes a long way.

Best wishes to you!
  • dnenesingleton
    dnenesingleton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's said that diet coke can actually make you gain weight because it causes you to be more hungry. I personally love the stuff but limit it to 1-2 per week because of it. Water is always the better choice and flushes out toxins in your body.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I dropped 9 pounds my first week, and all I did was quit drinking diet soda. I was drinking over a liter a day at the time. It seemed to keep water on me, and I notice I don't crave sweets as much without it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's said that diet coke can actually make you gain weight because it causes you to be more hungry. I personally love the stuff but limit it to 1-2 per week because of it. Water is always the better choice and flushes out toxins in your body.

There really hasn't been many studies that confirm this.

I drink 2 diet dews a day. Never once has it hindered my progress or made me hungry. On the other hand, lifting makes me want to eat a horse like a horse

I will also say, you should drink enough fluids to stay hydrated. So on top of the 2 20oz diet Mt. Dews, I drink 120-180 oz of water a day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of using a dietician. Has seeing one helped and if so how? Any hidden benefits you didn't expect?

I went to one and she didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from reading the MFP general information stickies (and the general forum) about weight loss, macro percentages, calorie target, etc. I even brought up my MFP diary and reports on her computer for her to assess. She basically told me I was already doing everything right, even in the number of carb grams needed to manage my diabetes. She said that the first thing she tells people to do (who haven't read as much as I have) is to get a food scale and start weighing and measuring so you know what a portion size actually is. Also, learn to read food labels and write everything down. I'm glad I went because it confirmed that I was on the right track. I just didn't learn anything new.

I tend to be a common sense person, and eating to lose weight is all about common sense and moderation. Yes, drink that diet soda if you want it. Just don't drink only diet soda. You should get some good old H2O in you too.
    58841349.png
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is hydrating. It is mainly water.

I don't believe the hype around it. It doesn't cause you to gain fat weight. For some people it may make them feel hungrier or crave sugar but, it all depends on the person. It helps me not eat and helps with sugar cravings.
  • pixtaker
    pixtaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm sorry, but the people saying diet soda is OK to drink are just plain WRONG. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain.

"Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza." - from health.com

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

• dmiller644
    dmiller644 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use to love diet coke but decided to quit drinking it to see if it changed my cravings. I lost five pounds in the first month of nit drinking it, I think I craved sweets with it. I felt way less bloated and my headaches went away. My sister cut it out too and had the same results;)
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I drink it because I *don't* like the taste of sugar. It definitely does not make me crave sweets.

You know, if that's worth anything to anyone.
  • pixtaker
    pixtaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    pixtaker wrote: »
    OK, I'm sorry, but the people saying diet soda is OK to drink are just plain WRONG. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain.

"Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza." - from health.com

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

Or you can actually look at why aspertame is not so scary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

And understand that coorelation =/= causation. Also, can you provide the link to that study?

And the bold is rather funny, because if that was true, I wouldn't have lost weight. @CyberEd312 (another mod) who drinks diet diet pepsi wouldn't have lose 300+ lbs.

Of course, because someone lost weight (and a massive amount of it) while drinking diet soda that completely negates the negative arguments against that poison.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Or you can actually look at why aspertame is not so scary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

And understand that coorelation =/= causation. Also, can you provide the link to that study?

And the bold is rather funny, because if that was true, I wouldn't have lost weight. @CyberEd312 (another mod) who drinks diet diet pepsi wouldn't have lose 300+ lbs.

Of course, because someone lost weight (and a massive amount of it) while drinking diet soda that completely negates the negative arguments against that poison.

I've been drinking Diet Coke for YEARS, it's always been my favorite. Just had my annual blood work done at the doctor 3 weeks ago and the results were great. I am in perfect health. No high blood pressure, no elevated glucose levels, no raised cholesterol. From your quote - "The way the artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part..." - definitely not conclusive and they aren't even sure that it does play a part at ALL - and your quote also states that psychological components play a part as well, which actually has nothing to do with the artificial sweetener itself. If you're going to call aspartame "poison" - at least make sure the quotes and studies you provide back up your claim.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If aspartame was poison there would be a lot of dead people. Maybe it would be beneficial to read the link i provided. Because what you are suggesting isnt supported by science.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If aspartame was poison there would be a lot of dead people. Maybe it would be beneficial to read the link i provided. Because what you are suggesting isnt supported by science.

Amen.

I drink a can of diet soda daily and am losing weight just fine. I also put Equal in my coffee, and I have done so since I started drinking coffee regularly (13 or so years ago).

I have never suffered any ill effects from aspartame or from diet soda.