How to approach a girl at the gym?

Options

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    leonsinned wrote: »
    The original poster just wanted some advice on how to approach the girl and somehow this thread has turned combative. smh...

Welcome to the Internets!
  • TSith
    TSith Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ra2yucjkpl8k.jpg
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks we should all lighten up a bit???

I posted a gif a fungus dressed up as a "Fun Guy". How much more "light" can it be?

We need more Fun Guy type gifs on this thread
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    TSith wrote: »
    I can't believe how many people would be upset if someone came and talked to them at the gym... Makes me sad.

You also have to understand it from a woman's point of view. The majority of the guys at my gym prey on girls. I wear a baggy cut off and usually sweat pants to the gym and they still look at me like a piece of meat. It's disgusting. It's very rare to have a genuine guy come up to you at the gym. So from experience, no please don't come up to me. Show me you're interested in another way than interrupting me. If you want to get to k ow me and you think I'm worth the wait, then wait until I'm finished. That's all.

I'm not saying the above is true for ALL guys..

Meh, that's a cop out excuse to me. Guys get gawked at as well. Guys get looked at like a piece of meat. Wouldn't keep me from being friendly to someone who approaches me. I don't judge people based on what others do. Sorry.

Well then if you prefer people feel entitled to your time and attention at any given moment of their choosing with complete disregard for your space and level of comfort on the off-chance that they're being genuinely friendly to you, then carry on. That's your prerogative, not anyone else's.

I have been out of the game for so long I have no clue however, I guess I just don't understand what is wrong with being friendly in general anymore. It's so bizzare. I have people approach me at the gym and I am never rude. I have actually made friends with some of these guys and they are great people. Would each one of them love it if I wasn't married, absolutely but they are very respectful and genuinely nice people. In the OP's situation, (brace yourself, I'm about to pull out my inner disney princess on ya'll LOL). What if OP and this girl are meant to be, and for fear of being friendly (because apparently its a bad thing to speak to someone in the gym) he never even takes a minute to initiate conversation with her and what was meant to be now will never be, to me that would be devastating. But again, I am the kind of person that finds it fascinating that there are so many people out there with so many things to offer, and different personalities and I get sad to think that I will never be able to meet them all. I think the whole being personable thing is going away in general and that is a damn shame.

agreed. I think people just like to think that every person of the opposite sex wants to date them so they pretend they are just angry at all the mean meat heads. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. What do I know though...I've been out of the game for a long time as well.

• TSith
    TSith Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ste0n9f5a4dq.jpg

There's hope
  • Hornsby
    Options

I posted a gif a fungus dressed up as a "Fun Guy". How much more "light" can it be?

How about "Baby Knees"?

CFF63709-835D-4786-B480-87A70A0CA5BA.jpg
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

How about "Baby Knees"?

Holy...now to have nightmares about babies trapped in knees!
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If someone interrupts my workout to ask me out, I would be pissed!!! Now tape a protein bar and a note to my car for me to come out to.. I will gladly approach you next time! Hahaha

^^^^ This its a win/ win she gets protein after her lift and the choice to call you or not if you leave your number.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options

How about "Baby Knees"?

Ok that legit made me laugh. Creepy but hilarious just the same.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    ThomasW13 wrote: »
    anger in this thread had me like-

DchbcMq.gif

some people here gotta lighten up Francis and remember they're on the internet lol

For the record, i'm not angry. i don't have any issue with a girl/guy not liking if someone comes and talks to them. I am referring to people who say they would genuinely pissed. That's ridiculous to me.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many people would be upset if someone came and talked to them at the gym... Makes me sad.

You also have to understand it from a woman's point of view. The majority of the guys at my gym prey on girls. I wear a baggy cut off and usually sweat pants to the gym and they still look at me like a piece of meat. It's disgusting. It's very rare to have a genuine guy come up to you at the gym. So from experience, no please don't come up to me. Show me you're interested in another way than interrupting me. If you want to get to k ow me and you think I'm worth the wait, then wait until I'm finished. That's all.

Meh, that's a cop out excuse to me. Guys get gawked at as well. Guys get looked at like a piece of meat. Wouldn't keep me from being friendly to someone who approaches me. I don't judge people based on what others do. Sorry.

Well then if you prefer people feel entitled to your time and attention at any given moment of their choosing with complete disregard for your space and level of comfort on the off-chance that they're being genuinely friendly to you, then carry on. That's your prerogative, not anyone else's.

I have been out of the game for so long I have no clue however, I guess I just don't understand what is wrong with being friendly in general anymore. It's so bizzare. I have people approach me at the gym and I am never rude. I have actually made friends with some of these guys and they are great people. Would each one of them love it if I wasn't married, absolutely but they are very respectful and genuinely nice people. In the OP's situation, (brace yourself, I'm about to pull out my inner disney princess on ya'll LOL). What if OP and this girl are meant to be, and for fear of being friendly (because apparently its a bad thing to speak to someone in the gym) he never even takes a minute to initiate conversation with her and what was meant to be now will never be, to me that would be devastating. But again, I am the kind of person that finds it fascinating that there are so many people out there with so many things to offer, and different personalities and I get sad to think that I will never be able to meet them all. I think the whole being personable thing is going away in general and that is a damn shame.

LOL... It amazes me too. My theory is that with the Internet, the few bad apples get all this attention with "viral" pictures and videos on top of the media overblowing and focusing on negative events. If you go by the Internet and the media you would think there are rapist, gun toting, radical, racist, abusive people running around all over the place. The reality is most people are decent. Some are well meaning, but socially awkward and quirky. Very few are actually a-holes.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    When she is not in the middle of a set, say hi casually in passing for a few days then get on with your work out. If she beats you to it one day in saying hi, say hello and start a casual conversation. She may be interested. If she ignores you and changes her lifting days, probably not so much.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »

LOL... It amazes me too. My theory is that with the Internet, the few bad apples get all this attention with "viral" pictures and videos on top of the media overblowing and focusing on negative events. If you go by the Internet and the media you would think there are rapist, gun toting, radical, racist, abusive people running around all over the place. The reality is most people are decent. Some are well meaning, but socially awkward and quirky. Very few are actually a-holes.

^^
    Boy isn't that the truth !!!
    Its almost like its against the law to be friendly anymore or even smile at somebody any more,
    But then I don't have perverts leering at me either.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Here's my 5 step process that is sure to make the OP a winner.

Step 1: bring workout buddy to gym
    Step 2: send buddy to girl with little folded up note
    Step 3: stand in corner
    Step 4: wait until girls friend brings back note
    Step 5: open note to see if she checked "yes" or "no" next to the question,"Do you think I'm cute?"
  • Hea1thyGam3r
    Hea1thyGam3r Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Step 5: open note to see if she checked "yes" or "no" next to the question,"Do you think I'm cute?"

This method is also known as Twitter Circa 1989
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 502 Member
    Options

There we go... George Strait
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I started dating my husband after he, quite literally, was hollering at me in the gym. I had my blinders on and totally ignored him and his jimmies got rustled enough to actually stop me when I walked by him on my way out and told me I'd been ignoring him completely while he'd been trying to get my attention for the last hour. I ended up asking him out like the next day.

I actually knew him before that happened, though, so I wouldn't advise actually yelling hello at strangers. Your best bet probably is catching her on her way out of the gym. Maybe even be a bit slick and just get in the habit of a nice smile and a wave on your way past each other for a while so you can see if she's receptive to being paid attention to in the gym to begin with? Some people *really* would rather pretend to be invisible while they're getting their sweat on.