Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    From the Harvard School of Public Health:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates/index.html

Don't be misled by fad diets that make blanket pronouncements on the dangers of carbohydrates. They provide the body with fuel it needs for physical activity and for proper organ function, and they are an important part of a healthy diet. But some kinds of carbohydrates are far better than others.

The best sources of carbohydrates—whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans—promote good health by delivering vitamins, minerals, fiber, and a host of important phytonutrients. Easily digested refined carbohydrates from white bread, white rice and other refined grains, pastries, sugared sodas, and other highly processed foods may contribute to weight gain, interfere with weight loss, and promote diabetes and heart disease.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates-and-the-glycemic-load/index.html

A food's glycemic load is determined by multiplying its glycemic index by the amount of carbohydrate it contains.

Here is a listing of low, medium, and high glycemic load foods. For good health, choose foods that have a low or medium glycemic load, and limit foods that have a high glycemic load.

--Low Glycemic Load (10 or under)
    High-fiber fruits and vegetables (not including potatoes)
    Bran cereals (1 oz)
    Many beans and legumes, including chick peas, kidney beans, black beans, lentils, pinto beans (5 oz cooked, approx. 3/4 cup)

--Medium Glycemic Load (11-19)
    Pearled barley: 1 cup cooked
    Brown rice: 3/4 cup cooked
    Oatmeal: 1 cup cooked
    Bulgur: 3/4 cup cooked
    Rice cakes: 3 cakes
    Whole grain breads: 1 slice
    Whole-grain pasta: 1 1/4 cup cooked
    No-sugar added fruit juices: 8 oz

--High Glycemic Load (20+)
    Baked potato
    French fries
    Refined breakfast cereal: 1 oz
    Sugar-sweetened beverages: 12 oz
    Jelly beans: 10 large or 30 small
    Candy bars: 1 2-oz bar or 3 mini bars
    Couscous: 1 cup cooked
    Cranberry juice cocktail: 8 oz
    White basmati rice: 1 cup cooked
    White-flour pasta: 1 1/4 cup cooked

That’s real nice, and for those that choose to diet according to the low fat, high carb model, or the everything in moderation model, this is good information to have.

But let me ask you this, how has the “school of Public Health” model, worked for the majority of Americans? The facts remain that as a Nation we spend more and more on Dietary guide lines, on advertising Dietary guide lines, on promoting low fat, high fiber, high grain diets, but we keep getting fatter, and fatter. Either the promotions and advertising don’t work, (ask McDonalds if advertising works) or the model is flawed.

Most Americans don't follow the Harvard School of Public Health healthy eating recommendations so I suppose it hasn't helped them much (much like the Paleo diet hasn't helped them because most aren't following that either).

The problem is not with the model it's with people who don't take the time to understand it. They look at it and say things like "oh, high carb, low fat" please pass the white bread. Although the Harvard School of Public Health does not advocate a low fat diet so saying anything like that would show how little time was taken.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    " Wrong. http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-is-salt-made "

I love these responses. WRONG! You ARE the weakest link!

Anyway....many diets are considered "Fads" by other people and if you think that Paleo is a fad, than it's a good think you don't follow it. However, it works well for many people and trying to be the diet police on here is getting old.

Do what works best for you....
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Lulz at the Harvard study being used...."may contribute to weight gain, slowed weight loss, and promote diabeties." They forgot to add "in a constant caloric surplus"....
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Lulz at the Harvard study being used...."may contribute to weight gain, slowed weight loss, and promote diabeties." They forgot to add "in a constant caloric surplus"....

I'm sorry I don't understand the post. Maybe a link would help??
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

I'm sorry I don't understand the post. Maybe a link would help??

A link to the study? You posted it.
  • Shed4Wed
    Shed4Wed Posts: 25
    Options
    I started an all natural (no processed foods) diet today. I didn't realize there was a name for it. It was recommended by my trainer, and I think its a healthy choice.

I'm sticking to fruits/veggies/lean meats and seafood. The carbs I am eliminating will be made up with natural sugars from fruit. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period, but I can't see anything wrong with it. If it helps kick me into gear, I'm all for it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

All of your links compare whole grains to refined grains, NONE compare grain based diets with diets based on no grains. So pretty much your post is a strawman that has no bearing with the subject at hand. I AGREE whole grains are better than refined grains. You win. LOL
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    All I'm doing is providing other information to read through. I'm not pushing this lifestyle on anyone. I'm just opening a door. Who decides to walk through that door I have no control over.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Anyway....many diets are considered "Fads" by other people and if you think that Paleo is a fad, than it's a good think you don't follow it. However, it works well for many people and trying to be the diet police on here is getting old.

Do what works best for you....

Well said...especially the "diet police" part. :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    Options

All of your links compare whole grains to refined grains, NONE compare grain based diets with diets based on no grains. So pretty much your post is a strawman that has no bearing with the subject at hand. I AGREE whole grains are better than refined grains. You win. LOL

My post wasn't intended to compare whole grains vs. no grains not was I trying to "win" anything. I believe that you can follow the Paleo diet and be healthy and I've never said otherwise. I just object to the spreading of false information, such as whole grains are bad for you (you not meaning any one person in particular, just "you" as a general term). They are not and the posts support my argument. I kind of like the strawman reference though (straw, grain, funny). :smile:
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a "if you enjoy doing it, do it" person. I don't state that any diet is "superior" than another, I just choose to not follow a diet that tells me I can or cannot eat a certain thing. No hate, just personal preference.

Don't eat wild mushrooms that have red dots on them.....I know...they are all natural and if they can be found in nature it can't be all bad....please...don't eat them. Warning! Don't do it! Okay if you must...your choice.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Another fad? Dieting should all be about moderation.

I agree. And why wouldn't sugar and beans be included? Those things can be gathered.

Beans are toxic and inedible in raw form. They contain antinutrients (also grains) that inhibit the absorption of necessary nutrients. And sugar is refined/processed.

As is the salt in salted butter

Wrong. http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-is-salt-made

Um, forget the salt. Butter is only made through processing.

You might want to look up that so called "processing".

I was thinking the same thing....I can make my own butter with a pint of heavy cream and a glass jar. Not much processing there.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Don't eat wild mushrooms that have red dots on them.....I know...they are all natural and if they can be found in nature it can't be all bad....please...don't eat them. Warning! Don't do it! Okay if you must...your choice.

Lol. I don't understand?
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    Bump!
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you'd like a taste of serious discussion and paleo debate listen to this podcast. I believe there is a transcript if you prefer to read.
    Not all proponents of the "paleo" diet are in favor of using the evolutionary record to dictate the human diet. Here Lalonde (Harvard researcher) gives Wolf a hard time about the logical fallacy of it, but they line up about the value of the diet.

http://robbwolf.com/2011/02/22/the-paleo-solution-episode-68/ In other podcasts you can hear how Wolf doesn't approach this as a rule based system. Is dairy ok? Is grass-fed diary ok? It depends on the person. It depends, it depends, it depends. I have listened to several of his podcasts and I really like the guy. He appears comfortable with admitting his errors and incorporating a new perspective.

Here you can find Lalonde and Wolf being interviewed.
    http://thehealthyskeptic.org/the-healthy-skeptic-podcast-episode-8

What I enjoyed is how they don't have a rule based approach. Least I don't hear that. It's about figuring out what works for people and understanding the goals and limitations. They are very geeky!! :heart: :happy:
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

My post wasn't intended to compare whole grains vs. no grains not was I trying to "win" anything. I believe that you can follow the Paleo diet and be healthy and I've never said otherwise. I just object to the spreading of false information, such as whole grains are bad for you (you not meaning any one person in particular, just "you" as a general term). They are not and the posts support my argument. I kind of like the strawman reference though (straw, grain, funny). :smile:

Actually the links support that whole grains are "better" for you, not good for you.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Another fad? Dieting should all be about moderation.

I agree. And why wouldn't sugar and beans be included? Those things can be gathered.

Beans are toxic and inedible in raw form. They contain antinutrients (also grains) that inhibit the absorption of necessary nutrients. And sugar is refined/processed.

As is the salt in salted butter

Wrong. http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-is-salt-made

Um, forget the salt. Butter is only made through processing.

You might want to look up that so called "processing".

I was thinking the same thing....I can make my own butter with a pint of heavy cream and a glass jar. Not much processing there.

Maybe not much (unless you ask someone that's sat with churning butter for hours), but some processing.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Actually the links support that whole grains are "better" for you, not good for you.

No, they support that they are good for you.

From the Harvard link:

"By keeping the stool soft and bulky, the fiber in whole grains helps prevent constipation, a common, costly, and aggravating problem. It also helps prevent diverticular disease (the development of tiny pouches inside the colon that are easily irritated and inflamed) by decreasing pressure in the intestines."

"An intriguing report from the Iowa Women's Health Study linked whole-grain consumption with fewer deaths from noncardiac, noncancer causes. Compared with women who rarely or never ate whole-grain foods, those who had at least two or more servings a day were 30 percent less likely to have died from an inflammation-related condition over a 17-year period "

"In a study of more than 160,000 women whose health and dietary habits were followed for up to 18 years, those who averaged 2 to 3 servings of whole grains a day were 30 percent less likely to have developed type 2 diabetes than those who rarely ate whole grains"

From mayo clinic:
    "Hailed as the "staff of life" for their historical importance to human survival, grains are an essential part of a healthy diet."

From webmd:
    "We all know we're supposed to eat more whole grains. We know they're "good" for us (full of fiber, phytochemicals, and vitamins and minerals)."
    "Frankly, we are only just realizing the nutritional fallout from almost eliminating whole grains from our diet over the past hundred years."
    "After analyzing data from more than 15,000 people aged 45-65, researchers from the University of Minnesota School of Public Health found that as whole-grain intake went up, total mortality (the rate of death from all causes) went down"
    "One study found that women who ate three or more servings of whole-grain foods a day had significantly lower body mass indexes (BMIs) than those eating less than one serving a day. (This was found in men, too, but the link was more significant in women.)"

***there is a lot more on there but I guess if you really wanted to know you could just read the articles.