Walking considered strength training?

Options

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    According to my physical therapist, walking is not strength training. I am suffering from muscle injuries after walking for exercise. Some of my muscles are overworked by walking because others are slacking. The cure is to do exercises to target and strengthen the slackers or strength training, none of these exercises involve walking in anyway as most people would define it. I love to walk and it has been a great aid to my mental health, reducing A1C, blood pressure, blood cholesterol, lipids and weight. I am hoping to be able to start again next week, but for now it is all strength training.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's a weight-bearing exercise so you build up bone but not muscle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes I know..its not lifting any considerable weight but it does eventually build muscle in the legs. So should it be considered strength training?

is_mayonnaise_an_instrument__by_cantseemyforeheadplz-d5ck0p7.jpg
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The runners are usually very lean. Serious runners, anyway.

This is not true. I know serious runners who are not "very lean", and even who are overweight. I know, I was one of them (overweight and a serious runner). ;)
    How fat do you think most serious runners are? Like overweight or obese?

In your experience.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

This is not true. I know serious runners who are not "very lean", and even who are overweight. I know, I was one of them (overweight and a serious runner). ;)

In your experience.

The argument here was that poster said "all walkers and endurance runners are lean."

I'd agree that MANY are. But not all. Walking and running don't make you lean and there are plenty of people who are overweight and achieve great runs while still overeating and carrying extra weight.
  • Kalikel
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

In your experience.

The argument here was that poster said "all walkers and endurance runners are lean."

I'd agree that MANY are. But not all. Walking and running don't make you lean and there are plenty of people who are overweight and achieve great runs while still overeating and carrying extra weight.

No, I said that serious runners are usually very lean. That poster has disagreed because in his experience, serious runners are usually not very lean.

I have no intention of arguing with either answer. I'm just interested about his experience with these non-lean, but serious runners.

We all have different experiences.

Like you, my experience has been that when a person is a serious runner, they'll almost always have a very lean body.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

In your experience.

By "serious" do you mean "competing" (in other words winning podium places in races?)
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

In your experience.

No, I said that serious runners are usually very lean. That poster has disagreed because in his experience, serious runners are usually not very lean.

I have no intention of arguing with either answer. I'm just interested about his experience with these non-lean, but serious runners.

We all have different experiences.

Like you, my experience has been that when a person is a serious runner, they'll almost always have a very lean body.

Sorry, my bad. The conversation started WAY before that and I wasn't referring to you. It was another poster that said what I quoted. I would agree that most serious runners are lean. Key word being "most."
  • Kalikel
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

In your experience.

By "serious" do you mean "competing" (in other words winning podium places in races?)
    A serious runner, the kind of person who runs a lot and would call themselves "a runner." Most of them enter races. Most of them don't win.

It is a big part of their life. They take it seriously and are serious about it. They're runners.

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The only thing getting strengthened is the heart along w/some endurance. Sorry to disappoint, but walking is NOT strength training.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

In your experience.

A serious runner, the kind of person who runs a lot and would call themselves "a runner." Most of them enter races. Most of them don't win.

It is a big part of their life. They take it seriously and are serious about it. They're runners.

In that case there are plenty of serious runners who are far from lean and fall into the overweight category. Obese, not so much.

The front of pack is generally very lean though. Middle of the pack and the back there is a mix of body types.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How fast does one have to walk to be considered running? Or conversely, how slow does one have to run to be considered walking?
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the other day about when my cast was removed from my leg after being enclosed for 2 months. That leg had no muscle definition compared to the other. It looked scrawny, white, and hairy. haha. As soon as I began walking on it, the muscle quickly returned to the normal size. So.... ? Thoughts?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    How fast does one have to walk to be considered running? Or conversely, how slow does one have to run to be considered walking?

It isn't an issue of speed, it's an issue of gait. If you're 'walking' and there's a point at which both feet are off the ground at the same time, you're not walking, you're running (or jogging, which just a slow run). You have to have at least one foot on the ground at all times for it to be walking.

ETA: Elite speed walkers travel faster than most people's slow to moderate running speed. Some beginning runners run slower than my fast walking speed.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    Thankyou for your help - I'll start that - I've always been a bit shy of doing squats in case my meniscus tears even more. I'll start carefully and see what happens.

Plus more uphill, and yes I do cycle but I generally have two dogs on the back and so I have an electric bike as my legs can't get uphill yet ;)

Thankyou again

FB x

Oh, I meant on a stationary/spinning bike at the gym--again, something my PT had me doing before she'd let me start running again. And for squats--not necessarily ATG squats--personally I like using the TRX for bodyweight squats. Do you have access to a physical therapist to maybe go over a safe workout plan?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What if I just want to TONE my legs? I mean I don't want to get big and bulky like a bodybuilder. Then would walking work for me?

I have to be careful not to walk too much. I build muscle very easily. If you don't want big muscle-y legs, you might want to invest in a scooter.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What if I just want to TONE my legs? I mean I don't want to get big and bulky like a bodybuilder. Then would walking work for me?

I have to be careful not to walk too much. I build muscle very easily. If you don't want big muscle-y legs, you might want to invest in a scooter.

Oooh...great tip, thanks!

Would you recommend I buy one of those that are advertised during "Matlock" & "Murder, She Wrote" re-runs, or can I just go unplug one from my local Wal-Mart and drive it home?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Oooh...great tip, thanks!

Would you recommend I buy one of those that are advertised during "Matlock" & "Murder, She Wrote" re-runs, or can I just go unplug one from my local Wal-Mart and drive it home?

Definitely WalMart. You want that extra calorie burn getting it home.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

In your experience.

How are you defining "serious runner"? It's not uncommon for runners to need to lose weight (articles about losing weight are popular topics in running magazines)--obviously successful elite runners are lean, but I wouldn't define the category of "serious runner" that narrowly, and it wouldn't be relevant to almost anyone here.

And clearly lots of people who walk are fat.