Saw Something On The News This Morning About Exercise Being More Important Than Diet

Options

Replies

• kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it's 80% diet and 20% exercise
    You can't out run your fork

For maximum health benefits you need both :smile:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    momar23 wrote: »
    I have never seen a point get so lost amongst noise in my whole life.

Coke is attempting to promote the notion that you can out-exercise over consumption of calories in order to boost lagging sales.

Instead of being appalled by that, I'm seeing a bunch of posts with people arguing about the benefits of exercise.

I don't get it.

You can't out-exercise the over-consumption of calories. This is a point people were making earlier in the thread and they got told they were ignoring the CO part of the equation. What the what now? If you keep eating more than you're burning, what's going to happen?

It's always down to eating less than you burn.

Exercise is great. I do an awful lot of it because it helps me keep my energy levels up and manages my pain levels with some medical conditions I have ... the more I do, the better I feel. Yay me. But I still watch my calories like a hawk.

I'm not going to be swallowing Coke's message any time soon.

Agree! It's true most ppl don't exercise enough. But most of the problem is calories in. I am at 160 calories burnt after going for a 40 minute walk. I can't imagine how much I would need to move to burn off a big gulp

https://theconversation.com/big-sodas-tactics-to-confuse-science-and-protect-their-profits-45907

I just did a 53 minute walk and burned 401 calories. Earlier today I did 3 miles on my kayak and burned 428 calories. I also have a 68 calorie adjustment from steps on my activity tracker. So I have 897 exercise calories so far today. If you add them to my goal calories of 1580 that is 2477 calories, and the 500 and some odd calories that MFP minuses to lose 1 lb. per are already taken out. I have had breakfast and lunch which totals 919 calories, so I still have 1558 calories to eat. I will probably eat anywhere from 500 to 800 calories for dinner and a snack, so I will end up with 800 to 1,000 calories left over today.

How fast a pace do you walk?

That seems like a big difference in calories for only 13 minutes difference in time.

Bodyweight makes a big difference in calories burned from walking.

Of course, lots of walking estimates grossly overstate calories burned.

For me, 897 calories would be running about 9.5-10 miles, except even that counts the calories I would have burned anyway. To get a true 897 additional calories it would have to be even more. I don't count adjustments from steps other than in my daily overall activity.

Also, I exercise quite a lot, and at 2477 calories I'd be gaining weight.

I wear my heart rate monitor when I exercise, and because I am so old and out of shape, I get in the 70 to 80 percent cardio zone quite easily. my activity tracker must take that into account when it calculates my calories burned, because it's always a little lower when I don't wear it.

I don't believe HRM are accurate for walking calories.

For net walking calories (in other words, calories above what you would burn anyway, which is one problem with most HRM estimates) a good formula is .3 x weight x miles.

For me (assuming 4mph for an hour) that's .3 x 125 x 4 or 150 calories.

I don't know all that formula stuff, but what I do know is that I log my workouts, my fitness tracker calculates the calories burned, I log my food, MFP calculates that part and deducts whatever it takes to lose 1 lb. per week (my setting), and I have been losing about a lb. per week for going on 8 months now. I think if my activity tracker was miscalculating that much, I would have gained a lot of weight by now instead of losing 36 lbs.

Don't think I can agree with you on this one. Sorry.

Earlier you posted a 3 mile walk in 53 minutes so your pace is at 3.5 mph. 401 calories is about 130 calories a mile. . . .walking. You may not care about formulas now, but 10 pounds from now you may to 'know all that formula stuff'. You mentioned kayaking also and burned more then 400 calories for 3 miles. If you combine these 2 activities you are estimating calories burned at just north of 800. Roughly 2 hours of walking and kayaking, so if you subtract 1/12 of your BMR, you'd get a more accurate calorie burn number. Ex. 1800 BMR/12 is 150 calories. Subtract 150 from the burn above and your getting closer. And if you exercise like this 5 days a week and exclude the 150 calories this would mean you are over-estimating by 750 calories a week. So, every ten weeks you are over-estimating by 2 pounds roughly in weight loss and when you stall you'll end potentially asking what you're doing wrong. Congrats on dumping 40+ pounds and the increase in exercise, but you are not burning what you think you are.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

Coke is attempting to promote the notion that you can out-exercise over consumption of calories in order to boost lagging sales.

Instead of being appalled by that, I'm seeing a bunch of posts with people arguing about the benefits of exercise.

I don't get it.

You can't out-exercise the over-consumption of calories. This is a point people were making earlier in the thread and they got told they were ignoring the CO part of the equation. What the what now? If you keep eating more than you're burning, what's going to happen?

Exercise is great. I do an awful lot of it because it helps me keep my energy levels up and manages my pain levels with some medical conditions I have ... the more I do, the better I feel. Yay me. But I still watch my calories like a hawk.

Agree! It's true most ppl don't exercise enough. But most of the problem is calories in. I am at 160 calories burnt after going for a 40 minute walk. I can't imagine how much I would need to move to burn off a big gulp

https://theconversation.com/big-sodas-tactics-to-confuse-science-and-protect-their-profits-45907

I just did a 53 minute walk and burned 401 calories. Earlier today I did 3 miles on my kayak and burned 428 calories. I also have a 68 calorie adjustment from steps on my activity tracker. So I have 897 exercise calories so far today. If you add them to my goal calories of 1580 that is 2477 calories, and the 500 and some odd calories that MFP minuses to lose 1 lb. per are already taken out. I have had breakfast and lunch which totals 919 calories, so I still have 1558 calories to eat. I will probably eat anywhere from 500 to 800 calories for dinner and a snack, so I will end up with 800 to 1,000 calories left over today.

That seems like a big difference in calories for only 13 minutes difference in time.

For me, 897 calories would be running about 9.5-10 miles, except even that counts the calories I would have burned anyway. To get a true 897 additional calories it would have to be even more. I don't count adjustments from steps other than in my daily overall activity.

I wear my heart rate monitor when I exercise, and because I am so old and out of shape, I get in the 70 to 80 percent cardio zone quite easily. my activity tracker must take that into account when it calculates my calories burned, because it's always a little lower when I don't wear it.

For net walking calories (in other words, calories above what you would burn anyway, which is one problem with most HRM estimates) a good formula is .3 x weight x miles.

I don't know all that formula stuff, but what I do know is that I log my workouts, my fitness tracker calculates the calories burned, I log my food, MFP calculates that part and deducts whatever it takes to lose 1 lb. per week (my setting), and I have been losing about a lb. per week for going on 8 months now. I think if my activity tracker was miscalculating that much, I would have gained a lot of weight by now instead of losing 36 lbs.

You are the one who claimed to have 800 to 1000 calories left over today. If you regularly seem to have lots of calories left over and yet are losing the 1 lb/week predicted, well, that's the overestimate.

It could be that you aren't overestimating, though, because you are down at sedentary (with a 15-something goal for a one lb loss for a man, I assume you are) and yet are not actually sedentary (most are not).

When I started MFP said I'd lose 1.8 lb/week at 1200 and instead I lost 2-2.5 lb/week at 1250, because I was down as sedentary and was really at least lightly active and because I left exercise calories on the table often (did not trust the counts).

It is my experience that as one gets closer to goal it's harder to do that, in part because the calories one burns from the same amount of exercise are less (although outside of walking it's generally easier to exercise).

If I have to run about 12 miles to burn 1000 extra calories, though, probably best not to count on daily burning 1000 extra calories. That doesn't mean exercise is unimportant, but this idea that one can always just burn off whatever calories one eats is simply false. You have to take into account what is actually feasible in a person's life. I exercise a lot because I enjoy it and am training for stuff, but even so of course I must watch what I eat (and I could probably lose easier if I exercised less and ate less).

Anyway FOR ME (not anyone else in particular) both exercise and watching my diet are very important and doing both makes both easier. However, IMO a third factor is the real underestimated one much of the time--getting general activity level up beyond intentional exercise, such as by walking more on a daily basis.

I usually leave extra calories for things that I don't log throughout the day. For example if I grab 2 or 3 chips, I'm not going to stop and try to figure out how to log that, so I try to leave some extra calories for that type of stuff. I don't weigh stuff either (although I do have a scale and have weighed things just out of curiosity). If it has a barcode, I scan it. If not, I ballpark it.

Also, I just checked the MFP database and walking for 60 minutes at a 4 mph pace is right on par with what I am getting on my activity tracker, so I'm gonna have to go with that.

Also (and this is just my opinion), doing both makes dieting easier because at that point, it's not really a diet anymore. It becomes just being a little more careful of what you eat.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I'd take any studies funded by coca cola with a big heaping of scepticism...
    Are you doubting the intentions of The Coca Cola Company?
    All they're trying to do is help humanity just as they have always done in the tireless and selfless effort to make our world a better place.

In other news...the moon is made of Swiss cheese... :p
    Now, if they could go back to putting cocaine in it, they might have a weight loss formula.

What makes this even funnier is that I remember those days.

Damn I'm old... :)

Coca-cola stopped using cocaine in their formula in 1903.

It's fascinating that you remember those days so well.

I didn't know that, but back when I was a kid, I heard they still put that in there.

My bad.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I don't get it.

You are the one who claimed to have 800 to 1000 calories left over today. If you regularly seem to have lots of calories left over and yet are losing the 1 lb/week predicted, well, that's the overestimate.

It could be that you aren't overestimating, though, because you are down at sedentary (with a 15-something goal for a one lb loss for a man, I assume you are) and yet are not actually sedentary (most are not).

When I started MFP said I'd lose 1.8 lb/week at 1200 and instead I lost 2-2.5 lb/week at 1250, because I was down as sedentary and was really at least lightly active and because I left exercise calories on the table often (did not trust the counts).

It is my experience that as one gets closer to goal it's harder to do that, in part because the calories one burns from the same amount of exercise are less (although outside of walking it's generally easier to exercise).

If I have to run about 12 miles to burn 1000 extra calories, though, probably best not to count on daily burning 1000 extra calories. That doesn't mean exercise is unimportant, but this idea that one can always just burn off whatever calories one eats is simply false. You have to take into account what is actually feasible in a person's life. I exercise a lot because I enjoy it and am training for stuff, but even so of course I must watch what I eat (and I could probably lose easier if I exercised less and ate less).

Anyway FOR ME (not anyone else in particular) both exercise and watching my diet are very important and doing both makes both easier. However, IMO a third factor is the real underestimated one much of the time--getting general activity level up beyond intentional exercise, such as by walking more on a daily basis.

I usually leave extra calories for things that I don't log throughout the day. For example if I grab 2 or 3 chips, I'm not going to stop and try to figure out how to log that, so I try to leave some extra calories for that type of stuff. I don't weigh stuff either (although I do have a scale and have weighed things just out of curiosity). If it has a barcode, I scan it. If not, I ballpark it.

Also, I just checked the MFP database and walking for 60 minutes at a 4 mph pace is right on par with what I am getting on my activity tracker, so I'm gonna have to go with that.
    And it is well established that those burns are double, if not triple, reality. That's why there are scores and scores of threads in which people are advised not to eat back all of their exercise calories.

You can go with whatever you want. That doesn't make it correct.

• OldAssDude
    Options

I don't get it.

And it is well established that those burns are double, if not triple, reality. That's why there are scores and scores of threads in which people are advised not to eat back all of their exercise calories.

So you are saying that activity trackers double and triple the calories burned?

I don't know why they would do that, but what I do know is whatever I am doing seems to be working for me, and the 3 or 4 activity trackers that I have had since I started all this seem to calculate workout calories pretty much the same way. Don't understand why they would deliberately miscalculate them.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I don't get it.

I don't know why they would do that, but what I do know is whatever I am doing seems to be working for me, and the 3 or 4 activity trackers that I have had since I started all this seem to calculate workout calories pretty much the same way. Don't understand why they would deliberately miscalculate them.
    I'm saying that activity trackers are notoriously inaccurate, yes. And that the exercise burns MFP uses can be double and triple actual burns, yes.

I'm not saying it's deliberate, though it seems like there would be some incentive to make people happier so they'd be more likely to use the products. It's similar to vanity sizing in clothing. It may just be that the algorithms are very poor across populations for the types of exercises they purport to measure.

Again, if you think it works for you, go for it. That doesn't mean they're accurate. They aren't.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight 2 years ago, it was mainly by calorie reduction and introducing exercise.

It gradually shifted to an even mix of reduction and exercise burn off

Now I'm about at where I want to be.

It has gotten easier to exercise off 5000 calories a week. One weekend of 70 miles on the bike is 3500 calories. Then I still have all the weekdays.

These is no sense in arguing the way we get to a calorie deficit at the various stages of our journey to fitness.

The important thing is doing what works best at the place we are in physically.

In triathlon training I'm gonna eat a solid 3500 calories a day. Probably still gonna lose a little weight that month.

But it will be fun and rewarding.

I'm looking forward to meeting a few guys next month off MFP and doing a bike ride. And I'm sure we will have some kind of serious lunch afterwards.

It still matters about CICO. But just do the work on CO, or cut back on the CI.

It will work when you follow the math. There is no right or wrong, just personal preference.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I don't get it.

I'm saying that activity trackers are notoriously inaccurate, yes. And that the exercise burns MFP uses can be double and triple actual burns, yes.

I'm not saying it's deliberate, though it seems like there would be some incentive to make people happier so they'd be more likely to use the products. It's similar to vanity sizing in clothing. It may just be that the algorithms are very poor across populations for the types of exercises they purport to measure.

Again, if you think it works for you, go for it. That doesn't mean they're accurate. They aren't.

How would throwing off the CO side of the CI<CO equation make people on a calorie counting website happy? Seems more like it would make them think your plan doesn't work or your site needs an overhaul.

Obviously calorie burns are not going to be accurate for everyone, but I would hope they are averages and therefore likely accurate for many.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

I don't get it.

How would throwing off the CO side of the CI<CO equation make people on a calorie counting website happy? Seems more like it would make them think your plan doesn't work or your site needs an overhaul.

But obviously calorie burns are not going to be accurate for everyone, but I would hope they are averages and therefore likely accurate for many.
    MFP doesn't make the monitors and exercise machines, so I'm not talking about MFP. As far as I know, MFP doesn't do the exercise calculations, either, but uses info separate from databases. Additionally, almost every calculator includes BMR burns, which double counts those calories and this effect gets worse the more you exercise.

Hope isn't much of a factor when it comes to math and reality, though.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I don't get it.

But obviously calorie burns are not going to be accurate for everyone, but I would hope they are averages and therefore likely accurate for many.
    MFP doesn't make the monitors and exercise machines, so I'm not talking about MFP. As far as I know, MFP doesn't do the exercise calculations, either, but use info separate from databases. Additionally, almost every calculator includes BMR burns, which double counts those calories and this effect gets worse the more you exercise.

I see. What do you mean by "includes BMR burns"? BMR during the exercise, rather than just exercise above and beyond BMR? That hardly seems like it would be double. Most everyone will burn more from activity than from BMR.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I don't get it.

MFP doesn't make the monitors and exercise machines, so I'm not talking about MFP. As far as I know, MFP doesn't do the exercise calculations, either, but use info separate from databases. Additionally, almost every calculator includes BMR burns, which double counts those calories and this effect gets worse the more you exercise.

I see. What do you mean by "includes BMR burns"? BMR during the exercise, rather than just exercise above and beyond BMR? That hardly seems like it would be double. Most everyone will burn more from activity than from BMR.
    BMR during exercise. Yes, it's double counting those calories.

If you exercise for an hour, 1/24 of your BMR is included in that total burn, but you only net (actual exercise calories - BMR) because you'd have burned those BMR calories sitting on the couch, anyway. Most calculators include that BMR as part of the calculation so they are telling you that you're burning those BMR calories as part of exercise, which is on top of burning those BMR calories included in your base activity level.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    For me, it's much easier to NOT eat that second serve of icecream than it is to burn it off at the gym.
    Not to mention, after the gym i'm starving!

However, as my weight gain was slow (eating just over maintenance) and I only had a few kgs to lose, I probably could out exercise my diet, at least for a little bit.

But really it's CICO - calories in needs to be less than calories out.
    Whatever way you do that is up to you.

I think, if you're focused on what you are eating, it is true of most people that it is easier not to eat something than to burn it off. But when looking at population level weight gain, there is a significant number of people who aren't focused on what they are eating. Perhaps they don't always have a second serving, but sometimes they do. Those people who are exercising will end up burning off that occasional extra serving while those who are not will just gain weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited August 2015
    Options

I don't get it.

If you exercise for an hour, 1/24 of your BMR is included in that total burn, but you only net (actual exercise calories - BMR) because you'd have burned those BMR calories sitting on the couch, anyway. Most calculators include that BMR as part of the calculation so they are telling you that you're burning those BMR calories as part of exercise, which is on top of burning those BMR calories included in your base activity level.

Sorry, I misunderstood you to say the calorie counts posted from exercise were doubled, not just that the calories from BMR alone were doubled. This double counting of BMR would certainly not cause the calories listed from exercise to be doubled or even tripled. Even a very high BMR is unlikely to burn as much as light exercise. But it might throw it off by 100 calories or so.
  • OldAssDude
    Options

I don't get it.

If what you say is true, I think I probably would have gained between 36 and 72 lbs. (double or triple) instead of losing 36 lbs. by now.

I just did a little general research on activity trackers, and so far I see that they are fairly accurate overall, and the more variables they have to calculate, the more accurate they are. My Garmin Vivoactive has a GPS, pedometer, and a chest strap heart rate monitor. This should make it pretty accurate (especially when wearing the heart rate monitor) because it has more variables to calculate the calorie burn. It may be off by a small percent, but to say that it is off double or triple is preposterous.

I don't know where you are getting your over exaggerated information from, but I am going to go with what seems to be working.

Thanks
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I don't get it.

Sorry, I misunderstood you to say the calorie counts posted from exercise were doubled, not just that the calories from BMR alone were doubled. This double counting of BMR would certainly not cause the calories listed from exercise to be doubled or even tripled. Even a very high BMR is unlikely to burn as much as light exercise. But it might throw it off by 100 calories or so.
    No, the double counting of BMR isn't what causes the estimated burns to be overstated by so much.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I don't get it.

No, the double counting of BMR isn't what causes the estimated burns to be overstated by so much.

What is, if it is? MFP has seemed fairly accurate for me and matches most other calculators I've used (give or take a few calories).
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

I don't get it.

What is, if it is? MFP has seemed fairly accurate for me and matches most other calculators I've used (give or take a few calories).
    If they seem fairly accurate for you, then you should use them.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I don't get it.

If they seem fairly accurate for you, then you should use them.

Well, I don't track like that anymore so it's kind of a moot point for me. I was just curious why you thought they were so high.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Saw something on the news this morning about Coca Cola supporting a study that exercise is more important for weight loss than diet. I can see why they would support such a study because they sell sugary drinks, but it still seems interesting to me because I always felt that exercise is more important.

Just wondering what other people think about this.

Coca Cola has over the last five years lost almost 15 % of their revenue world wide from the sale of all kinds of soft drinks.
    It would seem to me that they would do just about anything to boost their sales, or at least keep from them falling any further. That would probably also include the support of seemingly legitimate research.