Will not eating enough really stop me from losing weight? Suggestions please!

Options

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    justrollme wrote: »

I have noticed that occasionally, someone will post an apology for "being stubborn," after arguing over advice etc., which is great. But I'm suggesting that it has to be considered how many people jetpack.jpg out of here, discouraged. Everyone is quick to tell someone who apologizes how "classy" they are for doing so, but that really should be going both ways.

I've wondered quite a bit, even during the short time i've been here, if anyone else noticed that, or if the sometimes prevalent tough love/hardass thing was just an accepted behavior model here.

I have been given some harsh advise and just plain mean speech here in to response to some replies I have made. If you hang around here for awhile, you know which of the frequent flyers are tough but accurate and which are completely lacking in tact. I take the tactless ones with a grain of salt, knowing that is their MO. The third kind, are abusive name callers, I report them, they don't seem to come back that often.

QFT.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    The statement you use as an example ("there's no way you'd lose 300 pounds") is not even close to being offensive, and if someone is so reactive and defensive that they take it that way, I'm going to be courteous but I'm not going to walk on eggshells.

Edit: It isn't offensive to you. That doesn't not mean it isn't to someone else.

We are all responsible for our own reactions.

OP isn't ready. It happens. Obladi oblada...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    What are hyperthyroid eyebrows?

Hypothyroidism can make you lose the outer third of your eyebrows.

I lost mine during a period of time when my thyroid became underactive and wasn't responding to medication adjustments to correct it. This went on for nine months.

I've had hypothyroidism for 25 years.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I agree. OP isn't ready.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    litnbug wrote: »
    You know, this is really starting to aggravate me. I don't understand why you all would think I would lie about what I'm eating and then ask for advice. As far as medical problems, there are none that I know of, and I have had several different things checked including my thyroid, and was very let down when I found out it was normal.
    Did they run the whole panel? Unless you're plucking them, you've got the hypothyroid eyebrows. That's the only reason I ask. I'm kind of picky on the thyroid thing because my doctor said he ran the panel, but all he ran was TSH. I spent many years insisting I couldn't lose and being told that if those numbers were right, I should be losing. I was like, "Duh! I know that! That's why I came!"

When I complained that I couldn't exercise because I was out of breath way too easily, he suggested more exercise. I was like, "How can more help?! I can't even swim anymore!" he suggested trying.

Try.

There were MANY comments carrying the moronic insinuation that I was lying and/or lazy. I really didn't appreciate that doctor or dietitian, lol.

Then I got a good doctor. And everything changed. They whiz zed me through the endo, the surgeon, the cardiologist and into surgery. It wasn't even two weeks and that's with me having other important things to do.

My dang thyroid was so ginormous that it had grown down and through my chest and was smooshing my lungs. It was also cutting off my windpipe. And that guy insisted it wasn't thyroid.

You should've seen the surgeon's face when he said I'd let it go too long and I briefly told him my story. He asked questions. Then he asked for that guy's name and office location, lol. I hope he gave him hell.

So, I'm very pro on getting the whole panel run. By an endocrinologist, if you can get the referral.

I don't think you're lying and I KNOW that sometimes, there really is more to it than not logging properly.

Check out my brows. They're hypothyroid brows. The OP's brows are fine.

I do agree advice on having a full panel run is always good, but I also think adding advice on optimum numbers vs. just being in range is helpful too.

However, that being said... even if a thyroid problem is present, if someone consistently had a habit of that low a caloric intake as the OP has logged, her weight would not be where it is, even with a thyroid problem.

Big picture, here.

OP, no one is saying you don't know things, but people who have experienced frustrations with doing this with and without results are trying to help you. A food scale really made a world of difference for a lot of us. That's why you see so many of us recommending it. Yes, loads of people lose weight without them. I'm happier losing weight with one, though.

I'm in your age bracket, and it's harder losing weight when you get to be a certain age. Every little bit helps.
    I have no interest in your eyebrows, thank you, anyway.

If you do not like my posts, you are free to give your own advice.

Oh how nice of you. wow

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The statement you use as an example ("there's no way you'd lose 300 pounds") is not even close to being offensive, and if someone is so reactive and defensive that they take it that way, I'm going to be courteous but I'm not going to walk on eggshells.

Edit: It isn't offensive to you. That doesn't not mean it isn't to someone else.

What about my feelings? How do you think I feel being called offensive and insensitive?
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

We are all responsible for our own reactions.

OP isn't ready. It happens. Obladi oblada...
    There is nothing more self-defeating than spitting up from the gutter into the hand there to help you out....

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    litnbug wrote: »
    You know, this is really starting to aggravate me. I don't understand why you all would think I would lie about what I'm eating and then ask for advice. As far as medical problems, there are none that I know of, and I have had several different things checked including my thyroid, and was very let down when I found out it was normal.
    Did they run the whole panel? Unless you're plucking them, you've got the hypothyroid eyebrows. That's the only reason I ask. I'm kind of picky on the thyroid thing because my doctor said he ran the panel, but all he ran was TSH. I spent many years insisting I couldn't lose and being told that if those numbers were right, I should be losing. I was like, "Duh! I know that! That's why I came!"

When I complained that I couldn't exercise because I was out of breath way too easily, he suggested more exercise. I was like, "How can more help?! I can't even swim anymore!" he suggested trying.

Try.

There were MANY comments carrying the moronic insinuation that I was lying and/or lazy. I really didn't appreciate that doctor or dietitian, lol.

Then I got a good doctor. And everything changed. They whiz zed me through the endo, the surgeon, the cardiologist and into surgery. It wasn't even two weeks and that's with me having other important things to do.

My dang thyroid was so ginormous that it had grown down and through my chest and was smooshing my lungs. It was also cutting off my windpipe. And that guy insisted it wasn't thyroid.

You should've seen the surgeon's face when he said I'd let it go too long and I briefly told him my story. He asked questions. Then he asked for that guy's name and office location, lol. I hope he gave him hell.

So, I'm very pro on getting the whole panel run. By an endocrinologist, if you can get the referral.

I don't think you're lying and I KNOW that sometimes, there really is more to it than not logging properly.

Check out my brows. They're hypothyroid brows. The OP's brows are fine.

I do agree advice on having a full panel run is always good, but I also think adding advice on optimum numbers vs. just being in range is helpful too.

However, that being said... even if a thyroid problem is present, if someone consistently had a habit of that low a caloric intake as the OP has logged, her weight would not be where it is, even with a thyroid problem.

Big picture, here.

OP, no one is saying you don't know things, but people who have experienced frustrations with doing this with and without results are trying to help you. A food scale really made a world of difference for a lot of us. That's why you see so many of us recommending it. Yes, loads of people lose weight without them. I'm happier losing weight with one, though.

I'm in your age bracket, and it's harder losing weight when you get to be a certain age. Every little bit helps.
    I have no interest in your eyebrows, thank you, anyway.

If you do not like my posts, you are free to give your own advice.

I'm surprised by your snippy answer. I was just trying to be helpful, since it seemed you were confused as to what hypothyroidism brows would look like.

As mine were diagnosed by my doctor, I thought I'd offer them as a comparative example to show that the OP's are clearly fine.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I still don't see where anyone was being mean.

Anyway, if she would have just watched the video I posted all the way back on page one she would have gotten a greater understanding of what her issue might be. There's so much great information here on MFP if people would only take the time to educate themselves. Tons of stickies in almost every forum that the OP could read, there's a great search feature here that could/should be utilized if she has any questions that she wants answered. Someone gets 1 answer that's not to their liking and then everyone on MFP is labelled a bully, even when the OP gets nasty themselves!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Anyway, if she would have just watched the video I posted all the way back on page one she would have gotten a greater understanding of what her issue might be. There's so much great information here on MFP if people would only take the time to educate themselves. Tons of stickies in almost every forum that the OP could read, there's a great search feature here that could/should be utilized if she has any questions that she wants answered. Someone gets 1 answer that's not to their liking and then everyone on MFP is labelled a bully, even when the OP gets nasty themselves!

Yep, and they are first to start the name calling.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, please understand where we are coming from. Many of us have been here for quite some time and a few things are consistently come out of these threads. People are not consistent in their diaries and they are not accurate with their counts (even me, a 6 year veteran still can under report their calories easily) . The videos demonstrate that even further. Ultimately, you have to understand the underlying systematic issues and address those first. Once they are address, then we can do things such as alter macros and evaluate your entire plan. I truly hope you come back and we can help get you on the path to success.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I used to think I didn't eat much until I started accurately logging everything I eat and drink here in MFP. You should watch this video, very eye opening:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

I remember seeing this on Public Tv a while back. I'm glad you posted it. I suffer from calorie amnesia if I don't immediately write down what I eat. I have notebooks and two wipe boards, one for meal computations and one for daily/weekly logging. It's no joke! You gotta be honest about yourself and work around your tendencies! Great video!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Whenever it happens I tend to think that the OP is so frustrated with themselves that they let their emotions get to them and they think that anything other than sympathy or coddling is a personal attack. In the end they are only hurting themselves because they would rather focus on becoming defensive instead of looking at the information and using it to help them find solutions. I'm hoping that she is able to calm down and reread the thread and take the advice, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I used to think I didn't eat much until I started accurately logging everything I eat and drink here in MFP. You should watch this video, very eye opening:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

I remember seeing this on Public Tv a while back. I'm glad you posted it. I suffer from calorie amnesia if I don't immediately write down what I eat. I have notebooks and two wipe boards, one for meal computations and one for daily/weekly logging. It's no joke! You gotta be honest about yourself and work around your tendencies! Great video!

I keep a notebook next to my kitchen too. :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If someone is discouraged by facts, her chance of success is already minimal, whether she jets or not. Enabling and coddling doesn't have a perfect track record, either.

Responding to someone in a sensitive manner does not mean it is enabling or coddling. o/
    @justrollme

You keep saying this.

OP posted something that is physically impossible. There is no way -- no way at all -- she got to 300 pounds eating 1177 calories a day. It just didn't happen. That's indisputable. So, tell me this: How would you tell the OP this fact in what you consider to be a non-offensive way?
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here long, but I've learned so much from reading other threads. Just a few months ago I fully believed in "starvation mode" but after reading so many threads, it really doesn't make sense. I started weighing everything on my scale and my eyes were opened. Peanut butter broke my heart a little. Another thing that I've learned is that I can fool myself about what I'm eating, but I can't fool my body. My body knows every single thing I put into it and is the best calorie calculator. Too much and BAM!!! While I stare at the scale thinking. "Nuh-Uh..."
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here long, but I've learned so much from reading other threads. Just a few months ago I fully believed in "starvation mode" but after reading so many threads, it really doesn't make sense. I started weighing everything on my scale and my eyes were opened. Peanut butter broke my heart a little. Another thing that I've learned is that I can fool myself about what I'm eating, but I can't fool my body. My body knows every single thing I put into it and is the best calorie calculator. Too much and BAM!!! While I stare at the scale thinking. "Nuh-Uh..."
    This is exactly right. And the sooner one stops fooling oneself, the sooner one can start making progress. If someone can't be told she's fooling herself -- not "lying," but fooling herself -- without appearing "mean" or "insensitive" or "offensive" then you're almost certainly sacrificing a chance for success for the sake of using nice words, though the outcome isn't very nice.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MyFitnessPal!

Checking out your diary, that is a little low for your calories. If you're not hungry, you don't have to force yourself to eat if you're under your daily recommendation. It typically isn't sustainable to eat like that over the long term. Sure, a day here and there are fine. In fact, I try to even out my calories for the whole week. I eat under maintenance (in a calorie deficit) Sunday-Thursday so that I can have a little extra food on Friday and Saturday. I would only change the course if you go 7+ days at >1,500 calories and accurate logging.

I noticed your diary uses measuring spoons and not a food scale. It's not critical, although you might find it easier to use a food scale. You put the bread on the plate, weigh, log weight, then hit TARRE to zero out the scale. Then you put the peanut butter directly on the bread. Log the weight... hit TARRE.. etc. You don't dirty up as many spoons. It can also be more accurate for high calorie foods, like butter, peanut butter, nuts, cheese, etc.

You also probably don't want to log Cleaning as exercise. Regular activity like cleaning, pulling weeds in a small garden, etc. are included in your Activity Level on MyFitnessPal. The discriminator I use- would I put on a sports bra and stretch before this activity? If yes, I log it as exercise. If not, it's part of my daily activity.
This discussion has been closed.