Now That I Can Eat...Always Hungry

Options

Replies

• DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    Basically what my title says....
    I'm at maintenance, new to it...just started a few days ago, and now that I can eat more I'm always hungry!
    The sad thing is my maintenance calories aren't much more than my deficit calories since I'm only 5'1" 107ish pounds.
    (deficit = 1200 maintenance= 1370 per MFP)

It's tough to be a short woman. As others have said, try to increase the protein in your diet and maybe the fat. They tend to be more satisfying than carbs, especially sugars. Exercise is a healthy habit, but I would not rely on it for weight maintenance: watch what you eat.

Right! The reliance on exercise scares me! But as someone earlier stated I should just slowly start adding additional calories if I see that I am still losing weight. Sounds easy, right?!? LOL!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    belfle wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen, I got to my goal weight and then I moved to higher altitude, got so hungry that it only took 6 months to regain everything I worked so hard to lose. now I am back to square one. I wish so much that I started logging again sooner. so now I am back to walking in the evenings, not so much to burn calories, but to keep from snacking. also, I ate whatever I wanted, and it took awhile before I started gaining, so I thought I was good to go based on my activities, don't fall for that :)

I still log! I don't think I will ever stop! It's the only thing that has ever truly worked for me as far as weight loss goes!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Have you considered using TDEE as a calorie goal?
    It already includes general exercise calories and spreads them over the week.

I have but since my exercise isn't always consistent I'm afraid it will not work.
    Don't you have to input: I work out (#)times a week for (#) times of minutes?
    If so, what happens when I don't get my "proposed" exercise in? Do I just eat at deficit?

Yeah it doesn't work so well if your activity isn't consistent.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,872 Member
    Options
    Hi OP: you mentioned a few times that you do only a little bit of cardio (though it could well be extremely intense cardio; I am saying a little bit in terms of total amount of time per week) and you are concerned about eating back the exercise calories.

A basic fitbit zip costs $59. For most people fitbit's TDEE calculation is not overstated.

If it is overstated it tends to be an overstatement of well under 10% and is often evidence of thermogenic adaptation which you may want to try to counteract anyway.

If you use a fitbit and enable negative adjustments (as per the MFP Fitbit group's FAQ written by @heybales ), you can then eat as per the fitbit suggestions with less concern about your exercise burns...
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Another thing about exercise... how do you count Strength Training calories? I just started so I wouldn't say I'm burning a lot of calories from it (or maybe I am...I'm new to this) so if I'm not accounting for that, it could be a (small) part of the reason I am hungrier, right? Or is that wishful thinking, LOL!
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hi OP: you mentioned a few times that you do only a little bit of cardio (though it could well be extremely intense cardio; I am saying a little bit in terms of total amount of time per week) and you are concerned about eating back the exercise calories.

A basic fitbit zip costs $59. For most people fitbit's TDEE calculation is not overstated.

If it is overstated it tends to be an overstatement of well under 10% and is often evidence of thermogenic adaptation which you may want to try to counteract anyway.

If you use a fitbit and enable negative adjustments (as per the MFP Fitbit group's FAQ written by @heybales ), you can then eat as per the fitbit suggestions with less concern about your exercise burns...

@PAV8888 Really? Hmmm.... I just have always heard that calorie trackers aren't accurate...
    And I generally average about 30mins on the elliptical 3-4xs a week. 30mins for me on the elliptical = approximately 300cals. But since I don't have the option to plug in my data: age and weight... I don't trust it.
    The treadmill at my gym, which I can plug my data into, has me burning only about 100 calories for the same amount of time going about the same speed! Does the elliptical burn more?

I was just looking at the zip on Amazon...sounds good! Do you actually have one?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Another thing about exercise... how do you count Strength Training calories? I just started so I wouldn't say I'm burning a lot of calories from it (or maybe I am...I'm new to this) so if I'm not accounting for that, it could be a (small) part of the reason I am hungrier, right? Or is that wishful thinking, LOL!

I've never counted my strength training exercise calories. I'm set to lightly active though so it seems to fit into that goal.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    OP, have you considered intermittent fasting? This works for some, but not all. I find that when I limit my day's eating to an 8-10 hour window, I am less hungry overall. That's because my meals during my eating window are bigger and more satisfying (still eating a whole day's calories - just in less time). Basically, I stop eating after dinner then don't eat again until around lunchtime the next day. With lots of water and a cup or two of coffee in the morning I'm generally not even hungry until lunchtime arrives. I guess I don't do this every day, but probably 4-5 days a week. There are lots of intermittent fasting posts on the forums and lots of info on the internet if you are interested in trying it out.

I (generally) eat/intake calories 6 times a day: Breakfast, Morning Snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, Dinner, Evening Snack
    I say generally because sometimes I'm too busy and in some cases because I forget to eat (because I'm honestly not hungry). I don't mind so much if I miss because that just gives me more calories to look forward to on the weekend if I need them. I try to stick to my calorie goals per day. but as long as the mostly even out for the week I'm good!
    So in a sense I am doing intermittent fasting... just not on a consistent basis.
    But in the past, even when I missed a meal, I wouldn't be hungry from it...

I'm just trying to get used to this feeling of hunger w/ MORE calories.

IF isn't about missing one of your snacks or lunch in the middle of the day if you're busy...you have to have a minimum of 12 hours with no calorie intake for your body to even start fasting otherwise you're just always going around in a fed state. I stick to 14 or 16 hours per day, once in a blue moon longer, and that's missing a regular person's "breakfast" meal which I have at about 11am or 12pm, then my "feeding" time is about 12-8pm where you eat your entire allotted day's worth of calories. This works naturally for me (for 3 years now) as I don't have time to eat before work...I'd rather sleep more. This method of timing could possibly help you curb your hunger. For me, it's a mix of things like: IF, macro ratios, snacking vs. 2 huge meals, getting adequate water intake, drinking calories vs eating calories, boredom vs. keeping busy, exercise day vs. rest day, etc...

For more good info on IF: leangains.com was one of the better reads.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    OP, have you considered intermittent fasting? This works for some, but not all. I find that when I limit my day's eating to an 8-10 hour window, I am less hungry overall. That's because my meals during my eating window are bigger and more satisfying (still eating a whole day's calories - just in less time). Basically, I stop eating after dinner then don't eat again until around lunchtime the next day. With lots of water and a cup or two of coffee in the morning I'm generally not even hungry until lunchtime arrives. I guess I don't do this every day, but probably 4-5 days a week. There are lots of intermittent fasting posts on the forums and lots of info on the internet if you are interested in trying it out.

I (generally) eat/intake calories 6 times a day: Breakfast, Morning Snack, Lunch, Afternoon Snack, Dinner, Evening Snack
    I say generally because sometimes I'm too busy and in some cases because I forget to eat (because I'm honestly not hungry). I don't mind so much if I miss because that just gives me more calories to look forward to on the weekend if I need them. I try to stick to my calorie goals per day. but as long as the mostly even out for the week I'm good!
    So in a sense I am doing intermittent fasting... just not on a consistent basis.
    But in the past, even when I missed a meal, I wouldn't be hungry from it...

I'm just trying to get used to this feeling of hunger w/ MORE calories.

IF isn't about missing one of your snacks or lunch in the middle of the day if you're busy...you have to have a minimum of 12 hours with no calorie intake for your body to even start fasting otherwise you're just always going around in a fed state. I stick to 14 or 16 hours per day, once in a blue moon longer, and that's missing a regular person's "breakfast" meal which I have at about 11am or 12pm, then my "feeding" time is about 12-8pm where you eat your entire allotted day's worth of calories. This works naturally for me (for 3 years now) as I don't have time to eat before work...I'd rather sleep more. This method of timing could possibly help you curb your hunger. For me, it's a mix of things like: IF, macro ratios, snacking vs. 2 huge meals, getting adequate water intake, drinking calories vs eating calories, boredom vs. keeping busy, exercise day vs. rest day, etc...

For more good info on IF: leangains.com was one of the better reads.

Okay, thank you.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Losing on 1200, then 1300. Maintain around 1500 now but seem hungrier lol.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Have an enormous bowl of cooked cauliflower, 3-4 servings (60 calories), some green beans, (25 calories), some bean sprouts (200g for like 40 calories) with some soy sauce and 1/2 a tsp or margerine or olive oil (15 calories).

If you add this ~130 calories to your protein source, shake, fruit, etc. your stomach will surely feel full. You'll be getting a ton of nutrients, and your stomach will send signals to your brain that you're feeling more full. If you do this once or twice a day, rather than eating things like dairy or processed foods, it's a lot easier to feel full, satiated and satisfied.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have not read through all of the responses so this may be a repeat of information. When I went into maintenance, I slowly stopped counting calories (gasp, yes - you read that right) and pretty much ate what and however much I wanted. However, I do tend to eat light (fewer calories) during the week and heavier on the weekend. I also lift 4 times a week and get in 3-4 runs - one of which is a long distance run ranging anywhere from 8-13 miles.

I credit running as the primary reason I can eat more than I thought possible when I first went into maintenance. Lifting, on the other hand, has changed my body composition for the better.

I've gained and lost within a five pound range due to excess at holidays and what not. I realize everyone is different but for me - increasing my activity made a huge difference in how much I could eat (obviously).
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I weigh less then 132 lbs and loose on 1900 Calas a day. I'm extremely active though. I workout 6 days a week most weeks and am an avid runner. I aim to just walk 50 miles a week w my hubby and or the dogs or even alone listening to podcasts in addition to my other workouts. I think weight liftings great but you need to move more for a higher metabolism! It's an appetite suppressant for me.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I weigh less then 132 lbs and loose on 1900 Calas a day. I'm extremely active though. I workout 6 days a week most weeks and am an avid runner. I aim to just walk 50 miles a week w my hubby and or the dogs or even alone listening to podcasts in addition to my other workouts. I think weight liftings great but you need to move more for a higher metabolism! It's an appetite suppressant for me.

@carliekitty - how tall and old are you?
    Not making excuses but, height and age reduce your allowable calories...
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I reached my goal weight of 137 lbs, five months ago. 5'7. Age 56. I still weigh/measure almost everything. Don't exercise. Nowadays I eat the same way as when I was losing just maybe a slightly bigger portion of things I really enjoy. Seems to be working for me.
  • mhoste
    mhoste Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Doreena I feel your pain! I am 5'1 130 lbs. Just started trying to lose weight and eat healthier a week and a half ago. I should say I started out at 137 YAY!!. Doctor put me on 1000 calories/day, no sugar, no carbs, no gluten for 4 weeks and then I can start adding in more food. Of course that is darn near next to impossible (at least it feels like it) and can't go to zero of all of that. I am still struggling day to day to feel like I am not very hungry. One thing that has worked GREAT for me in the morning to really feel full is to take an Atkins chocolate shake and put in a tbsp of Smuckers natural peanut butter then add some ice and blend it up! Works great in the mornings to keep me full until lunch.
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 which has a strap I attach around my chest during workouts. It communicates my heart rate to my polar watch which I wear on my wrist (input all your basic user information into the watch when you get it). It constantly tells me my heart rate, number of calories burned and a time counter for each workout session. It's counting calories burned no matter what I'm doing whether it's cardio or lifting weights. It cost my $89 from Academy but I'm sure it can purchased just about anywhere. No more guessing on calorie burns for any workout or using MFP's overly exaggerated calorie burn for activities.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Just for fun I calculated my TDEE w/ the following stats:
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs
    Sedentary (because I have an office job)
    Workouts per week: 4 x 30mins

Guess what it told me? 1350 are my maintenance calories.
    TDEE gives me LESS than MFP! MFP doesn't even include exercise and it still says I can eat more! WTH?!

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs

TDEE gives me LESS than MFP! MFP doesn't even include exercise and it still says I can eat more! WTH?!

which calculator did you use? And are you really sedentary? I mean you may have an office job but do you walk a lot/have active hobbies?
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs

which calculator did you use? And are you really sedentary? I mean you may have an office job but do you walk a lot/have active hobbies?

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Yes, I'm sedentary.
    Unless I actively pursue exercise, I'm not really doing a whole lot.
    Unless you just count every day life like running errands or doing household chores.
    My hobbies are all "sit-down" hobbies.