CALORIE QUALITY

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    sarahbe89 wrote: »
    I don't understand why there isn't more emphasis on the QUALITY of the calories people are eating. If you are eating 1,200 calories of JUNK like pizza ice cream and all kinds of processed foods it isn't going to give you the results of eating 1,200 calories of lean protein fruits and veggies and healthy fats. Just kind of agrivates me when I see people complain about not getting the results they want even when they are staying with in their calorie budget but than their food diary is filled with crap food. Thoughts? Do you think quality is just as important if not more so than quantity?

Many people believe that if you eat fewer calories than you burn each day, you’ll lose weight, and if you eat the same number of calories that you’ll burn, you’ll maintain a healthy weight. This plan works for many people, but not all.

If you’re counting calories, it’s important to think about what you’re eating. Say Jane eats 1,200 calories a day of cake, cookies and white bread. She’s probably not going to lose any weight. Betty eats 1,200 calories a day of fresh vegetables and fruit and lean protein. She’s probably going to lose some weight and get a lot more nutrients from her food. Counting calories is only part of the weight loss equation.

And counting calories is only one way to lose weight. Because the hormone insulin plays a major role in how your body uses and stores fat, some research suggests that eating foods that keep insulin levels steady throughout the day — lean meat and fish, poultry, vegetables, and fruit — rather than foods like sugar, candy, white bread and crackers — can help you maintain a healthy weight.""

Source:

Do you need to count calories?
    http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrition/healthy_eat/plan

You can't maintain weight on a deficit if you eat cake, cookies, and white bread. If this was the case, then we could simply send these foods to places where people were starving and fix the problem.

If you are in a deficit, you will lose weight -- even if cake is part of what you are eating.

Actually you can if you keep the amount under the calorie limit you have. However, if that's all you eat, you will eventually start suffering from malnutrition.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm saying that if you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. I'm not discussing malnutrition -- that's a whole different ball game.

I'm sorry, I misread your post. Going back and rereading it, I realize I just reiterated what you said. Sorry about that! Stupid contacts. ><
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why there isn't more emphasis on the QUALITY of the calories people are eating. If you are eating 1,200 calories of JUNK like pizza ice cream and all kinds of processed foods it isn't going to give you the results of eating 1,200 calories of lean protein fruits and veggies and healthy fats. Just kind of agrivates me when I see people complain about not getting the results they want even when they are staying with in their calorie budget but than their food diary is filled with crap food. Thoughts? Do you think quality is just as important if not more so than quantity?

Many people believe that if you eat fewer calories than you burn each day, you’ll lose weight, and if you eat the same number of calories that you’ll burn, you’ll maintain a healthy weight. This plan works for many people, but not all.

If you’re counting calories, it’s important to think about what you’re eating. Say Jane eats 1,200 calories a day of cake, cookies and white bread. She’s probably not going to lose any weight. Betty eats 1,200 calories a day of fresh vegetables and fruit and lean protein. She’s probably going to lose some weight and get a lot more nutrients from her food. Counting calories is only part of the weight loss equation.

And counting calories is only one way to lose weight. Because the hormone insulin plays a major role in how your body uses and stores fat, some research suggests that eating foods that keep insulin levels steady throughout the day — lean meat and fish, poultry, vegetables, and fruit — rather than foods like sugar, candy, white bread and crackers — can help you maintain a healthy weight.""

Source:

You can't maintain weight on a deficit if you eat cake, cookies, and white bread. If this was the case, then we could simply send these foods to places where people were starving and fix the problem.

If you are in a deficit, you will lose weight -- even if cake is part of what you are eating.

Actually you can if you keep the amount under the calorie limit you have. However, if that's all you eat, you will eventually start suffering from malnutrition.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm saying that if you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. I'm not discussing malnutrition -- that's a whole different ball game.

I'm sorry, I misread your post. Going back and rereading it, I realize I just reiterated what you said. Sorry about that! Stupid contacts. ><

Haha, no problem. Thanks for clarifying. :)
  • dubird
    Options

Source:

WNYEj9G_zps8ymn3m9q.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Isn't the ultimate goal to be HEALTHY though? Or am I the only one who thinks like that? I'm all for having the occasional treat but I'm not going to fill up my daily calories with junk. But that's just me.

I lost 121 pounds eating 80% healthy and 20% treat foods, I have totally reverse my heart disease and my blood work is near perfect.

Ice cream has good nutrition in it calcium, protein, etc.

How is pizza considered junk, it has veggies, meat, cheese, tomatoes, fruit sometimes, etc. it bogs my mind why people think pizza is junk. LOL
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Let's take two guys of fairly equal size and fitness level. We put both guys on the same training program and allow each man to eat 3,000 calories per day.

Guy A can only get his calories from lean meats and fish; fresh fruits and vegetables; and sweet potatoes and brown rice.
    Guy B can only get his calories from candy, ice cream and fast food.

After eight weeks, who do you think is going to look and perform better?

Guy B because he will have lost weight.

Guy A gave up on his restrictive diet and binged, went waaay over on his calories and actually *gained* weight. ;)

Moderation is key. Incorporating some of the foods you love into your daily 'budget' is the way most people manage to lose weight, stay healthy *and* keep their sanity. It's a balance. ;)
    This idea that junk food is required in a diet because excluding it makes binging a foregone conclusion...it's so very wrong.

The idea that a person who doesn't eat junk food is insane...it's not just wrong, it's a little over the top.

One can eat healthy foods, not binge and remain sane. I swear. People have done it.

You really don't have to eat junk food to lose weight.

It doesn't really justify to call any food 'junk food'. If a person it eating a well-balanced diet, and wants to have some chips, and is still within a calorie deficit, that's just fine. And healthy.
    Why do people (a lot of people) get hung up on the terms 'healthy food' and 'junk food'? It's not the food that makes it healthy or unhealthy. It's the balance of food, and the amount of calories consumed, that can make the person unhealthy. The food is neither healthy nor unhealthy.
    Could you explain what you mean by "justify"? I'm NOT picking on grammar - I'd be the last one to do so as mine is often just about as bad as it can be. I'm not picking on diction! I just truly don't understand what you mean there and am trying to clarify.

I'm not hung up on words like "healthy, junk, clean," etc. I don't care who uses what words.

As you know, since we've discussed it before, I do believe that some foods are bad for us. I do not believe that a carrot will undo the trans fats in something else. I also know that you do not believe that some foods are bad for us, but that if your overall diet is good, no food can be harmful.

We have disagreed about this before, so it's clear that we disagree. There is really no reason to go over it all again, IMO.

You're entitled to your beliefs and I'm entitled to mine.

It's clear what I meant, reading the post, I think. I meant it's not justified to use like 'junk' to describe food. Your post used the words 'junk food' and 'healthy food', so to say you aren't hung up on them is a bit.... odd, when you just finished say people should eat healthy and not eat junk.
    As I said, if people are eating a well-balanced diet, eating a food that might be labeled by some as 'bad' isn't going to make a person unhealthy. I know I'm not the only person here (as I've discussed with many others who do the same as I do) who have excellent numbers at the doctor. I eat a well-balanced diet and I eat things like cookies and chips and ice cream in moderation regularly. I have low blood pressure, low cholesterol, all my blood work is good, and my body fat is 17%. I'm in excellent cardiac health. Food isn't the problem and labeling is dangerous. It's misleading to people who are learning how to eat correctly and lose weight.

I agree labeling food is dangerous. I don't think any food is evil, and if someone wants their diet to be all hamburgers and candy, that's their deal. But I do still call some things 'junk food' because that defines the category they fall into: high calorie, little to no nutrition. I would never say don't eat junk food! Be kinda hypocritical seeing as how much ends up in my diet! XD But that category of food is one you don't want to base your whole diet on. Think of the food pyramid: you have your basic food groups and you should have some of all of them every day to get the nutrition your body needs. Junk food is a different type of food group, and adding it to your diet is perfectly fine. I don't term it 'evil' or 'to be avoided' because food is food. It's not it can make it's own moral choices after all. But you have to balance your food groups to be healthy, which can mean cutting back on less nutritional choices for ones that are better for your body. The whole point is MODERATION, which is what so many people don't see in what a lot of people here say. I see a lot of these types of posts, and they tend to look at food as black and white: eat this, never eat this. If that works for you, fine, but most people will do just fine with eating less 'junk food' and more from the groups with better nutrition, not just cutting out all 'junk food'.
    Moderation is great. I support it 100%.

It's when people say that everyone has to include junk food OR ELSE that it gets ridiculous. It's always ORE ELSE:

You will fail.
    You will binge
    You will be unhappy
    You will be insane...

...and none of it is true for everyone.

If a person feels that they will fail, binge, be unhappy or insane, then they should OF COURSE include whatever food food prevents those behaviors or unpleasant feelings. But that stuff is not a foregone conclusion for everyone.

True. I couldn't cut out junk food because then I would backslide quickly! Being able to have junk food, even if it's smaller amounts, is much more emotionally satisfying to me. But there are people that believe they have to cut out all junk food, and if it works for them, that's great. I think it depends on your relationship with food and how you view it as to whether or not you can work it into your diet or you need to cut it out completely, even if temporarily. If you want to do that, that's fine, it's just that you don't HAVE to. There are ways to work in junk food if you really want it, that's what a lot of people don't understand.

I agree with this. There's a weird false dichotomy where when someone says a person doesn't have to give up treats, it gets reinterpreted as saying a person must eat treats. Having done strict elimination plans before, I know what ultimately led me to fall off. Many other people here did, too. That's valuable experience that can help someone who is just starting down that road with a head full of fad diet rules, I wish a resource like MFP had been available when I first started down that path.

Having a plan that allows for flexibility isn't the only way, but it's one of the most versatile tools in the weight loss toolbox.
    I don't think many people do that. It's just when people insist that you must include junk food OR ELSE that people are like, "No, you don't have to include it."

The issue of insanity doesn't just come up in this thread. It comes up a lot. This "I include treats because I like to be *sane*..." stuff is the problem. That's not a verbatim quote from this thread, so I know nobody said it in this thread.

Simply telling someone who is confused that it isn't necessary...I do that, too. Arguing that they must OR ELSE is the issue.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So, in case anyone was wondering, that's slightly more than 4.04 pounds of raw broccoli. ~1770.05 grams, to be precise. I would die.

Can I juice it? On a dare, I would drink 4 lbs worth of broccoli.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Source:

WNYEj9G_zps8ymn3m9q.gif

...and now I'm hypnotized.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Source:

WNYEj9G_zps8ymn3m9q.gif

...and now I'm hypnotized.

And I'm jealous...
  • dubird
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    So, in case anyone was wondering, that's slightly more than 4.04 pounds of raw broccoli. ~1770.05 grams, to be precise. I would die.

You could juice anything, the question is, why? Though I guess if you like broccoli.....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Let's take two guys of fairly equal size and fitness level. We put both guys on the same training program and allow each man to eat 3,000 calories per day.

Guy A can only get his calories from lean meats and fish; fresh fruits and vegetables; and sweet potatoes and brown rice.
    Guy B can only get his calories from candy, ice cream and fast food.

After eight weeks, who do you think is going to look and perform better?

Guy B because he will have lost weight.

Guy A gave up on his restrictive diet and binged, went waaay over on his calories and actually *gained* weight. ;)

Moderation is key. Incorporating some of the foods you love into your daily 'budget' is the way most people manage to lose weight, stay healthy *and* keep their sanity. It's a balance. ;)
    This idea that junk food is required in a diet because excluding it makes binging a foregone conclusion...it's so very wrong.

The idea that a person who doesn't eat junk food is insane...it's not just wrong, it's a little over the top.

The poster didn't say eating junk food is required for sanity. He said that one way to maintain sanity (which I read as simply a more colorful way of saying have a more pleasant time of it and make the diet sustainable) is to eat foods you love. Personally, if I ate only boneless, skinless chicken breast for protein I MIGHT lose it (and don't get me started on canned tuna or tilapia, as I don't like either). So I incorporate tuna steak, roasted chicken with skin and bones, steak, salmon, etc. I also incorporate other foods I love and have no reason to give up, like cheese and ice cream.

If there were some reason for me to give them up of course I could (my dad gave up steak--well, mostly--and is fine), but barring such a reason why make it harder than you need?

If it's easier for you (the general you) to be more restrictive, by all means do that, but don't pretend--like OP--that that makes your diet more healthy or virtuous than those who make different decisions based on what seems just as healthy and more pleasurable to them. Pleasure is not a bad thing, and probably does contribute to overall quality of life (although if one must restrict it's nice that there are many sources of pleasure).
    The humour in my post was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, so thank you for seeing that. Anyone who would think I was seriously intending to impart that people who don't eat junk food are insane, is just desperately trying to flame bait. Or is completely devoid of a sense of humour.

Or both.

As an aside, I somehow missed it was your post, or I wouldn't have called you a "he." Oops!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

You could juice anything, the question is, why? Though I guess if you like broccoli.....
    I think it was something about eating 2500 calories of broccoli.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So which of us gets to get rich off of the Broccoli juice diet?

2500 calories of broccoli juice -- my maintenance is less than that but I wouldn't gain weight, since no way in heck am I finishing it.

And I love broccoli.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

I bet this would be an AWESOME cleanse, though.

And the broccoli farts would be epic.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

And counting calories is only one way to lose weight . Because the hormone insulin plays a major role in how your body uses and stores fat, some research suggests that eating foods that keep insulin levels steady throughout the day — lean meat and fish, poultry, vegetables, and fruit — rather than foods like sugar, candy, white bread and crackers — can help you maintain a healthy weight.""

Source:

Nope.

CI/CO only. Surplus you gain, deficit you lose, eating at TDEE you maintain. ;)
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't feel full on a diet that is high in sugar, I wouldn't be able to stick to my goals. Plus it's difficult to get all the nutrients you need on a low calorie diet, like if you're eating under 2000 calories. So it's even more important to eat nutrient dense foods when you're eating very few calories.

Of course if you're an active person and you have a high TDEE then all of this is irrelevant.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I usually try to get a lb of broccoli in before I go for a massage.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I think it was something about eating 2500 calories of broccoli.

Amazingly, that's only 600 calories...
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So which of us gets to get rich off of the Broccoli juice diet?

2500 calories of broccoli juice -- my maintenance is less than that but I wouldn't gain weight, since no way in heck am I finishing it.

And I love broccoli.

Back the eff off! I'm incorporating broccoli juice into the The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM) as we speak. It's in my upcoming book, The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse (TM): Peep These Veggies, B***h.
  • UltimateEscape
    UltimateEscape Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "A new study from Harvard University found that the number of calories consumed is not necessarily as important as the quality of those calories.

The kind of calories the body gets may affect how efficiently people burn their body's energy, which can be key for losing weight and keeping it off.

"It's not that calories don't matter, but the quality of the calories going in can affect the number of calories going out," said study author Dr. David Ludwig, at Boston Children's Hospital."

Source:

ABC NEWS

For Calories, It's All About Quality Over Quantity, Harvard Study Says
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/calorie-calorie-harvard-study-compares-popular-weight-loss/story?id=16654506
This discussion has been closed.