Ketosis diet!!

Options
Day 6 of this ketosis diet and I feel great!!:) I honestly thought it would be so hard and complicating, but it really isn't, if you just put your mind to it and you stay motivated and dedicate yourself then you can do anything! Hoping to stay focused and atleast last for the rest of the month and see how it goes! :)

Replies

• faberallison
    faberallison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you like it! I also enjoy a keto lifestyle. Keep up the good work!
  • StephanieShankaran
    StephanieShankaran Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @faberallison thank you!:)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. I wish I would have learned and implemented keto eating 40 years ago. It really is exciting to see so many young people implementing a keto lifestyle before they crash their health the way I did. After only 10 months of nutritional ketosis I think my health is better than in the past 20 years and I am under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years. Keep up the good work.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is fabulous! :mrgreen: Keep doing what is working for you.
  • strivingtobeaverage
    Options
    I am on week for following keto and I love it too! So glad to see others as well!
  • StephanieShankaran
    StephanieShankaran Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins thank you so much!! I'm glad that you're maintaining a healthy life style. Just take it one day at a time, it doesn't matter how old or young you are. It's never too late:)

@RodaRose thank you so much:)

@strivingtobeaverage good job Hun! Keep up the good work:)
  • Vegankid192
    Vegankid192 Posts: 14 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You all love this diet because you are eating such high amounts of fat that just dont occur in nature. Gotta watch out. Those high fat, low carb diets are what give countries that follow a western style high fat diet heart disease and cancer. No large population in history ate a high fat diet long term, there's a reason why elite athletes eat a high carb diet..be educated and get healthy.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    You all love this diet because you are eating such high amounts of fat that just dont occur in nature. Gotta watch out. Those high fat, low carb diets are what give countries that follow a western style high fat diet heart disease and cancer. No large population in history ate a high fat diet long term, there's a reason why elite athletes eat a high carb diet..be educated and get healthy.

Good point to be educated. I encourage you to read about why elite athletes are moving to eating lower carb diets to enhance their performances. Most of it will be data produced in the last 10 years.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :) I'm glad you are feeling so good and managed to skip or minimize the "keto-flu". I found I felt better as a few weeks went by.

There aren't a lot of low carbers on the main boards. For more support from people following the same diet try the Low Carber daily forum or Keto forum. Best wishes.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I know little of keto diet specifically, but am always interested in learning things. Many here are very pleased with their decision, so I figure this is a good place to ask a question I have been curious about. I assume in a true keto diet one cannot meet suggested fiber intake. For those who go keto, does this not concern you, and if not why?
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Really,

The Inuits consumed a diet of almost no carbohydrate probably since prehistoric time. And the ascertion that dietary fats are the driver of heart disease is clearly debatable (And a low carbohydrate is far from a "Western Style" diet)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I know little of keto diet specifically, but am always interested in learning things. Many here are very pleased with their decision, so I figure this is a good place to ask a question I have been curious about. I assume in a true keto diet one cannot meet suggested fiber intake. For those who go keto, does this not concern you, and if not why?

Actually, I could meet the fiber recommendations and still restrict my carbs to a ketogenic level if it was a concern of mine and of course I could always supplement. But frankly, they might as well have pulled the fiber DRI out of their butt as far as I'm concerned -- I don't find the evidence particularly compelling.

The fiber section starts on page 339 (page 417 of the PDF) if anyone wants to read how the USDA establised the DRI for fiber.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI_Energy/energy_full_report.pdf

Whole foods are healthful; I eat whole foods. That's good enough for me.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered what happens AFTER a keto diet? Is it a permanent (forever and ever) lifestyle, or do you go back to a "traditional" diet? Can you stay in ketosis for extended periods of time? I see a lot of people talk about the diet, itself, but have never seen the "what next."
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

The western style diet isn't low carb high fat. It's actually rather high carb, lower fat based on outdated information from the 80's, so you might want to do more research for yourself. Additionally, heart disease is caused mostly by obesity. And the more research that is done on cancer, the more links to genetics there is.. which is why you should be tested earlier if you have a lot of cancers in your family.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've always wondered what happens AFTER a keto diet? Is it a permanent (forever and ever) lifestyle, or do you go back to a "traditional" diet? Can you stay in ketosis for extended periods of time? I see a lot of people talk about the diet, itself, but have never seen the "what next."

Many stay with these diets for years.. some introduce some carbs back into their diets.

OP, if you want, here is a link to the low carb group. You might find it helpful
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    OP - Glad you found something that is working for you. Good luck moving forward.
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Vegankid, please provide information. To date there has been NO scientific study that has linked cholesterol to heart disease. There have been may studies showing that a ketogenic diet is helpful for those with cancer.

Glad that the ketogenic diest is working for you, OP. Join us at the Low Carber Daily forum at MFP.
  • Omgpuppylol
    Omgpuppylol Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Day 6 of this ketosis diet and I feel great!!:) I honestly thought it would be so hard and complicating, but it really isn't, if you just put your mind to it and you stay motivated and dedicate yourself then you can do anything! Hoping to stay focused and atleast last for the rest of the month and see how it goes! :)

I did this diet very strictly for a few months last year. After the initial "keto flu" period I loved how I felt (not bloated, energized) and also loved seeing my weight loss. I lost about 10 lbs during the keto lifestyle. After a while though, I could no longer keep it up. Once I ate carbs again I slowly (over about 10 months) put on the Wright again.
  • Omgpuppylol
    Omgpuppylol Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    But if I works for you, stick with it. You can probably transition to a less strict version of eating as you lose more weight.