• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Just for fun I calculated my TDEE w/ the following stats:
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs
    Sedentary (because I have an office job)
    Workouts per week: 4 x 30mins

Guess what it told me? 1350 are my maintenance calories.
    TDEE gives me LESS than MFP! MFP doesn't even include exercise and it still says I can eat more! WTH?!

which calculator did you use? And are you really sedentary? I mean you may have an office job but do you walk a lot/have active hobbies?

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Yes, I'm sedentary.
    Unless I actively pursue exercise, I'm not really doing a whole lot.
    Unless you just count every day life like running errands or doing household chores.
    My hobbies are all "sit-down" hobbies.

iifym calculator is low for me too. I use something between that and scooby's
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I'll start at 1350...and work my way up if I keep losing weight.
    But this truly upsets me.
    Again, food is not that important to me... but it sucks knowing that if I really want to eat, I can't or I can, but I need to exercise a whole lot more and/or bank some of those calories and save them for the days I know I'm going to eat more.

:'(
  • arditarose
    Options
    Again, food is not that important to me... but it sucks knowing that if I really want to eat, I can't or I can, but I need to exercise a whole lot more and/or bank some of those calories and save them for the days I know I'm going to eat more.

Start there, logging meticulously, and add 100 calories per week.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I'm starting to think being fat was better, LOL! But since I bought so many new clothes... I guess I'll stay skinny for a while... :p
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm starting to think being fat was better, LOL! But since I bought so many new clothes... I guess I'll stay skinny for a while... :p

yep! This year it is my goal to find an activity/hobby that gets me moving a lot more so I can be a bit more comfortable food wise :)
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • arditarose
    Options
    oh the 90s! Had that gem of a single on cassette.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I weigh less then 132 lbs and loose on 1900 Calas a day. I'm extremely active though. I workout 6 days a week most weeks and am an avid runner. I aim to just walk 50 miles a week w my hubby and or the dogs or even alone listening to podcasts in addition to my other workouts. I think weight liftings great but you need to move more for a higher metabolism! It's an appetite suppressant for me.

@carliekitty - how tall and old are you?
    Not making excuses but, height and age reduce your allowable calories...

5"3 44 yrs old. I'm also a hypothyroid girl ❤️
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Welcome to maintenance.
    If i didn't do the exercise i do - at 49 yrs old and 5,3" (just found out i've shrunk an inch :# ), there's no way i could eat the amount i eat now! And Food IS very important to me.
    Have you thought of doing some kind of exercise or activity you'll enjoy [and most importantly, stick with]. Maybe dancing or something?
    The other day when it was pelting down with Rain, i didn't go for a Run but stayed at home and danced for 40 mins to my favourite old skool tunes.
    I may have looked like an idiot ;) , but it did burn quite a few calories.....and it was FUN.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    It's funny that you mention this because I have always found maintenance to be harder for me than losing!! And the older I get the harder it is. I have also never trusted calorie burn so I don't eat back exercise calories either. In fact when I had a bodymedia device which is what you wear on your arm and it calculates your calorie burn for the day I actually gained weight! I am sort of maintaining right now and I still try to stay a hundred or so cals under maintenance just as a cushion but I am also much taller than you and I work out every day so I have alot more calories each day.
    I would say if you are hungry add a snack in for a few days and see how that effects your weight. It may take you a few weeks to figure out what maintenance is for you!
    Good luck!
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Basically what my title says....
    I'm at maintenance, new to it...just started a few days ago, and now that I can eat more I'm always hungry!
    The sad thing is my maintenance calories aren't much more than my deficit calories since I'm only 5'1" 107ish pounds.
    (deficit = 1200 maintenance= 1370 per MFP)

Anyway...anyone else experiencing this?
    If you aren't now but have before, how long did it take for it to go away?

I'm still staying w/in my calories/slightly below so weight gain is not really a concern (I worked way too hard to go back!) but the hunger is driving me crazy! Ugh!

TIA for your responses!

Back to the original question, I experienced this very thing when I first went to maintenance. Hungry ALL THE TIME. Then I started lifting heavier weight and it got worse. It has slowly tapered off, though I still go from not hungry to starving in what feels like a very short time. (My completely unproven theory is that it's from having lower body fat.) Somewhere on these boards, someone else shared advice from a nutritionist that I thought was helpful: Think of hunger on a scale from 1 (stuffed) to 10 (starving) and don't let yourself get above a 7 or below a 3. It is true that if I let myself be hungry for too long (say I'm out of the house and don't have any snacks on hand), I can't just take the edge off at that point but need to eat a substantial meal and then some to feel okay again.
  • Tremellas
    Tremellas Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs

TDEE gives me LESS than MFP! MFP doesn't even include exercise and it still says I can eat more! WTH?!

You're 39?!? No way! If so you look terrific...
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tremellas wrote: »
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs

You're 39?!? No way! If so you look terrific...

@Tremellas Thank you!!!!!!
    Yes I'm 39... I'll be 40 in October.
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 121. Still losing slowly. I average about 1700 total calories a day. I would eat someone's face off if I was only allowed 1370. I started using the TDEE method since I wasn't losing eating back all the exercise calories mfp was giving me. During the process I learned that my maintenance calories were around 1900. I have a very sedentary job and don't do much cardio at all. Lifting heavy makes me super hungry but I absolutely love the results! That calculator you used gave me 1468 TDEE. No way is that right for me!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs

which calculator did you use? And are you really sedentary? I mean you may have an office job but do you walk a lot/have active hobbies?

Yes, I'm sedentary.
    Unless you just count every day life like running errands or doing household chores.

IIFYM underestimates my TDEE by 250, for what it's worth.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I like to walk but other than my normal walking throughout the day I don't have a lot of time to just walk. Looks like I will have to make time, though walking really doesn't burn that many calories.I have a step counter on my phone but I don't always have my phone on me, too bulky, so I'm thinking of getting a FitBit Zip as someone earlier suggested, this way I can clip it to myself and have it on all day. I figure that may help me a little bit as far as being able to see my calories burned throughout the day, before any other scheduled exercise gets added. I also like to play Just Dance...again time is a factor though.

It just boggles my mind that my maintenance calories are just barely above what's considered the lowest calories people (women) can safely survive on! No wonder people become anorexic, some people truly need to starve themselves in order to lose and/or maintain weight!

BTW - I was really upset last night at these revelations so I said "F**k it!" and enjoyed a hot dog, some french fries (5 French fries, lol) and a tall can of Strawberita at the ball game last night. They were all so yummy and I didn't allow myself to feel guilty at all...even though it took me over my daily allotment by about 150cals.

Crossing my fingers that l'll figure this out soon.
    Thank you all for your advice and support!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Female
    5'1"
    107lbs

Yes, I'm sedentary.

IIFYM underestimates my TDEE by 250, for what it's worth.

Really? That is worth knowing...
    But how do you know that it underestimates it?
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    up your protein youll be full longer, loer your carb intake and youll have less cravings
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    jodybo2 wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" 121. Still losing slowly. I average about 1700 total calories a day. I would eat someone's face off if I was only allowed 1370. I started using the TDEE method since I wasn't losing eating back all the exercise calories mfp was giving me. During the process I learned that my maintenance calories were around 1900. I have a very sedentary job and don't do much cardio at all. Lifting heavy makes me super hungry but I absolutely love the results! That calculator you used gave me 1468 TDEE. No way is that right for me!

So...we can't trust exercise burn calculations or calorie calculators?! Ughhh...so frustrating!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    up your protein youll be full longer, loer your carb intake and youll have less cravings

I do eat protein
    But...but EVERYTHING has carbs, so as I'm meeting my protein goals I'm still eating carbs...