Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There's a paleo/primal group that can answer your questions about the paleo diet. I find many of the claims associated with Whole30 to be unfounded, so if you are really interested in going paleo, I'd ditch Whole30 and just start eating the way you want to eat long term.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • 12lawless12
    12lawless12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Whole 30. We don't realize all of the processed foods we eat until you do this. A couple of my friends have been able to get off medication from eating so clean. For the most part I eat clean. When I fall off the wagon I don't feel good in many ways.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I love Whole 30. We don't realize all of the processed foods we eat until you do this. A couple of my friends have been able to get off medication from eating so clean. For the most part I eat clean. When I fall off the wagon I don't feel good in many ways.

My food is always clean, who eats dirty food.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I suspect anyone who thinks about it does realize all the processed foods we eat. Most foods most of us eat are processed. Heck, the meat and eggs I get from a local farm are processed, the smoked salmon and greek yogurt (I like plain Fage) is processed, the bagged spinach and baby cut carrots I occasionally take advantage of are processed. Ironically, the corn and legumes I get from local farms wouldn't be processed (nor, of course, are the legumes I grow myself), yet they are still verboten under the logic of Whole30.

What I admittedly do not realize is why all these foods I have identified are bad to eat or make my diet less healthy.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Its a worthy endeavor. I'm all in favor of experimenting! If you don't, how do you ever know what works best for you? I clicked because I've never heard of whole 30, and I eat legumes every day, so it sounds like it's not a fit for me, but I applaud your effort! Even the naysayers must have experimented with something at some point to have such strong opinions. Best of luck, OP!
  • Elle1657
    Elle1657 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My sister did it to help her concieve :) I think anything that you do for your health is great! I also went to a holistic nutritionist and she recommended this to me. I haven't been able to adopt it though because I find myself not getting enough carbs which leaves me tired. My sister law is the fittest person I know and she also recommended it. Also think about all the amazing veggies you have, even if people can't agree on the claims of this lifestyle it significantly ups most people's vegetable consumption. Good for you for taking on a challenge to better your health :) feel free to add me as a friend would love to know how you do.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    I actually don't consider the Whole 30 to be a fad diet. It's not even technically a diet..it's meant to be a short term nutritional reset. The idea is to eliminate food groups and reintroduce them after the 30 days are over. This allows you to determine if any foods are bothersome to you. And allows you to combat cravings and become used to eating a healthier diet. I have problems with eczema and during my first whole 30 determined that grains made my skin worse. I am doing another 30 days to get back on track..I truly enjoy this way of eating. It just takes awhile to undue 20+ years of poor food choices. I have calorie counted for years lost 80 pds twice..but the whole 30 actually taught me what I should be eating and why. There's so much more to it than being a fad diet..losing weight isn't even the purpose for doing it, they actually suggest not weighing yourself at all the entire program.

as far as tips go...I found it helpful to always have snacks on hand if you need them. I kept fruit and nuts with me all the time! Also, check out Pinterest for recipes. Coconut milk, and coconut aminos are useful in tons of recipes. Buy a really good olive oil and vinegar and make your own salad dressing! Also, dont be afraid to have dinner leftovers for breakfast. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message

Literally the definition of a fad diet.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    Tomorrow I am starting my 2nd Whole 30 I lost 18 pounds in June doing my first bit quickly came back to my old habits after it ended. Luckily I only gained back 3 pds since than. Anyways time for another reset!! I'm looking to make life long changes this time and hopefully adapt to more of a paleo lifestyle afterwards. Has anyone successfully did something similar or are there other groups in this community for whole 30-paleo lifestyle?
    Thanks

I'm all for trying new things, and if you feel comfortable with your research, then more power to you. My question is, why would you try something again that didn't work the first time?
  • gillian_nalletamby
    gillian_nalletamby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did a similar program called 'I Quit Sugar'. I think it's a great idea to do the Whole 30 program. You can actually recalibrate your tastebuds by eliminating food from your diet. Ignore the negativity and listen to your 'gut' instinct :)

My stomach was always bloated but I've found that certain foods eliminated in the Paelo diet affected me adversely. Since I've stopped eating dairy, wheat, legumes and sugar, I've noticed sigificant differences.
  • gillian_nalletamby
    gillian_nalletamby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    *Significant
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    They're complaining over your use of the word 'chemicals', as everything is made up of some kind of chemical. Like bisodium carbonate (baking soda) or Hydrogen dioxide (water). Most things can be broken down into chemicals. I am sure they'd prefer it if you said that you were avoiding food additives or food that looks different from when it came out of the ground when you buy it.

I've done several whole 30's. I hope that you have good success on yours. I found that for me... Once I left my stay at home mom bubble, it was very difficult to keep up the strict paleo/whole foods lifestyle. Which then caused a ton of weight gain... because donuts! ;)

To add to this, chemistry is quite literally the study of matter. All matter. So EVERYTHING is chemicals. Your body is chemicals. I don't mean contains, I mean IS chemicals.
  • Pdxfarah
    Pdxfarah Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    You are not a computer. You don't need resetting.
    Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it.
    Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days.

From the Whole30 site. Is there any research backing any of this up? Are they arguing that a significant number of people have food allergies they don't know about? Or are they saying that grains, legumes and dairy are inherently unhealthy?

If you like eating the way the program prescribes, great. But I think their claims are dubious.

Uneducated people will call this a fad. Read the book and try it. ..it will change your world. People who don't read the book over generaliz what they have heard and cannot comprehend the complete science behind the guidelines.

Think, research then be an expert otherwise it's just uneducated opinion.

#someonehadtosayit
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial.
    Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking
    Do not eat grains.
    Do not eat legumes.
    Do not eat dairy.
    Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites.

Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days

What a crock?! I'm not lactose intolerant, I'm not an alcoholic, I don't have celiac disease, I'm not a diabetic.....why would I temporarily change my habits for 30 days? What would I gain from this? It's certainly not a lifestyle change.

What the he** is psychologically unhealthy food? I can generalize, because reading the book would not "educate" me. The book is not based on science, it' based on MARKETING.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    farahv wrote: »
    Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it.
    Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days.

From the Whole30 site. Is there any research backing any of this up? Are they arguing that a significant number of people have food allergies they don't know about? Or are they saying that grains, legumes and dairy are inherently unhealthy?

If you like eating the way the program prescribes, great. But I think their claims are dubious.

Uneducated people will call this a fad. Read the book and try it. ..it will change your world. People who don't read the book over generaliz what they have heard and cannot comprehend the complete science behind the guidelines.

#someonehadtosayit
    jlaw-okay_zpse31239da.gif

I notice you didn't address any of the questions I asked.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I'll answer your questions:
    1. "Is there any research backing any of this up?" Yes there is, read the book.
    2. "Are they arguing that a significant number of people have food allergies they don't know about?" No, they aren't "arguing" anything. They are asking that if you're having digestive issues, skin issues, etc. . . have you ever considered it may be food related?
    3. "Or are they saying that grains, legumes and dairy are inherently unhealthy?" Again, No, they are saying that some people have difficulty digesting legumes. I for one fit into that category. I suffer from IBS and my digestive system has difficulty digesting certain foods, namely most of which they mention, dairy, grains, legumes.

So, it has helped me tremendously. As for "psychologically unhealthy" foods, ever known anyone who couldn't eat just 1 potato chip? How about chocolate? That's me with milk chocolate, I can eat a whole bag of Hershey's Kisses. Some people have the same problem with alcohol.

You are blessed if you do not fall into any of these categories but please do not make people who do feel that they are less than intelligent for trying to find a solution to the problem. Thank you
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015
    Options
    farahv wrote: »

#someonehadtosayit
    jlaw-okay_zpse31239da.gif

I notice you didn't address any of the questions I asked.

Or the link I posted.

I've read the book and thought (among other things) that the rule about potatoes (and "argument" for it) was risible. Hmm, after some time they finally did change it. That doesn't make the others better, though.
  • JinxedyJinx
    JinxedyJinx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm on my first week of Whole30. Haven't done it long enough to have much of an opinion (only Day 6).... But I just read through this thread and clicked on lemurcat's "nutrition as I know it" link. Wow.... That is some good stuff!! Glad I read it! I will continue with Whole30 for personal reasons, but it's good to know when it comes to life after I can take the Hartwig's nutritional advice with a few grains of salt!
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am on day 15 of my first Whole30. Doing great so far. I was a naysayer originally because I thought it would be impossible to banish certain foods, and I have been living in a regimented counting and measure world. The idea of eating more fat and not counting calories kind of scared me. But, seeing my mom and sister's results over their 1st Whole30 and beyond so far, I decided I had to try it. Mom has lost 28 lbs since May, and sister has lost 15, both of their recent physical numbers have improved and they report that they are not craving sugar nearly as much as previously. It's still only a few months post, but my mom continues to lose weight since reintroducing some foods. She has chosen to follow the plan most of the time with the occasional treat, as the book recommends.

My sister is a PA for arguably the best cancer hospital in the world, and Dr's there are starting to recommend this way of eating to their patients. My general practitioner Dr has also recommended it. For me, that enough to at least give it a try.

So far, I have really enjoyed the way of eating and I am finding that I don't even miss grains, cheese and sugar (i never thought i would miss beans). Outside of two strong weekend wine cravings, I feel very in control. My clothes are fitting better, I have lost 6.5 lbs so far, and I am motivated to keep going. For me, surprisingly, I think this will work. In the past, when I have abstained from a certain food long enough, i eventually lost interest. I used to be a multiple diet soda a day person, and I had to put milk and sweetener in my coffee. A couple of years ago, I stopped drinking soda cold turkey and started drinking black coffee and tea and haven't ever gone back. I haven't had a soda in probably 2 years.

I admit I am only 2 weeks into this, and my family is only a few months in, so only time will tell. That will be interesting to see.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial.
    Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking
    Do not eat grains.
    Do not eat legumes.
    Do not eat dairy.
    Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites.

Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days

What a crock?! I'm not lactose intolerant, I'm not an alcoholic, I don't have celiac disease, I'm not a diabetic.....why would I temporarily change my habits for 30 days? What would I gain from this? It's certainly not a lifestyle change.

What the he** is psychologically unhealthy food? I can generalize, because reading the book would not "educate" me. The book is not based on science, it' based on MARKETING.

Isn't it a great thing that no one forces us to do/try any specific diet...we all can make our own choices.

It's not for me either but that in no way means it is not right for someone else. At one point however I was having some fairly strong digestives issues. I took a look at Whole30 see if it might make a difference. Instead I decided to follow the IBS/Bland diets to eliminate specific items from my diet. After about a month my digestive issues had resolved themselves and I was able to add back the food gradually that I discovered were causing my issues.

Again...we have choices...if one diet is not for you...there are other choices.