Whole 30

Options
13»

Replies

• giftbouquets
    giftbouquets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am considering starting the whole 30 and was looking through for information and came across this thread. I have to say I have found some peoples reactions to the OP pretty off putting and very negative, so much so that I couldn't read beyond the first page.
    I personally would have welcomed joining the OP in this, but the idea that I would have to constantly justify my actions to others who appear to have their own agenda has put me off.
    I just don't get it!! Surely if are interested in a thread, you follow it, if you are not interested or don't agree then stay away and let people male their own decisions?
    OP I hope you are doing well and haven't let people put you off.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am considering starting the whole 30 and was looking through for information and came across this thread. I have to say I have found some peoples reactions to the OP pretty off putting and very negative, so much so that I couldn't read beyond the first page.
    I personally would have welcomed joining the OP in this, but the idea that I would have to constantly justify my actions to others who appear to have their own agenda has put me off.
    I just don't get it!! Surely if are interested in a thread, you follow it, if you are not interested or don't agree then stay away and let people male their own decisions?
    OP I hope you are doing well and haven't let people put you off.

Why would you feel as if you have to justify yourself to others? Why does it matter what anyone else thinks?

If you want to join and support the OP then why let some random strangers have that much control over you?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    farahv wrote: »
    kristydi wrote: »
    You are not a computer. You don't need resetting.
    Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it.
    Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days.

From the Whole30 site. Is there any research backing any of this up? Are they arguing that a significant number of people have food allergies they don't know about? Or are they saying that grains, legumes and dairy are inherently unhealthy?

If you like eating the way the program prescribes, great. But I think their claims are dubious.

Uneducated people will call this a fad. Read the book and try it. ..it will change your world. People who don't read the book over generaliz what they have heard and cannot comprehend the complete science behind the guidelines.

Think, research then be an expert otherwise it's just uneducated opinion.

#someonehadtosayit
    Very educated person here calling it a fad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    farahv wrote: »
    kristydi wrote: »
    You are not a computer. You don't need resetting.
    Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it.
    Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days.

From the Whole30 site. Is there any research backing any of this up? Are they arguing that a significant number of people have food allergies they don't know about? Or are they saying that grains, legumes and dairy are inherently unhealthy?

If you like eating the way the program prescribes, great. But I think their claims are dubious.

Uneducated people will call this a fad. Read the book and try it. ..it will change your world. People who don't read the book over generaliz what they have heard and cannot comprehend the complete science behind the guidelines.

Think, research then be an expert otherwise it's just uneducated opinion.

#someonehadtosayit

Being a beach body coach doesn't make you an expert on nutrition or fitness. There are actual experts who have said this is a fad
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    I'm not understanding this negativity.. It's just whole natural foods being eaten. Meat, fresh fruit and vegetables. Nuts and seeds. And it's 30 days.

If you were to have say a granola bar as a snack say 90 calories. A low calorie snack. That has 20+ ingredients in it. Have you ceocerturf ever looked at a nutritional label. Those..are the chemicals I speak off, that are in processed foods. You don't have to agree with my decision. But you also don't have to try and make me feel like an idiot.
    I had someone tell me about this approach before and I do not quite understand what I'm dropping then re-introducing and where I start in terms of choices. I'm asking, so, do I stop fish for 30 days and then re-introduce them to see if it effects....what exactly? I'm not sure I understand the process of elimination and re-introduction. If you've answered this then forget my questions. I am curious how/what you start with and if I take something away for 30 days and re-introduce it doesn't it seem like this would take many years to complete?
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I am on Day 11 of my second Whole 30. During my first round I lost 10 pounds, saw my skin clear up, energy increased, I slept better, I had zero headaches or stomach aches, and my postpartum hair loss slowed down MUCH faster than it did with my first baby. The 30 days helped me to be aware of bad habits I'd fallen into, it taught me how to cook new things in new, healthy ways, it reduced my desire to snack all the time, and it gave me the boost I needed to start an exercise routine and stick with it!

The negativity on this thread is really...dumb. Whether or not you agree with all of the W30 claims, you cannot deny that eating fruits, vegetables, lean meants, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats is a bad thing. And no one is saying "never eat grains, dairy, beans, sugar, or alcohol again!". It is a short period of time eliminating foods that have be known to negatively affect people, and then you reintroduce them to see if they cause you any issues. With my reintroduction period I didn't find that I had major aversions to any of the non-compliant foods, but when I ate large amounts of grains, I just felt "heavy" and digestion wasn't as easy.

I'm doing a second round to curb some habits that have crept back in and to lost a little more weight (I've only gained back 2 of the 10 pounds I lost) and gain some energy back before a beach vacation next month. I plan on doing W30 (or W10-15) once or twice a year as a "reset".

Good luck to those of you starting a W30!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    dw920 wrote: »
    I am on Day 11 of my second Whole 30. During my first round I lost 10 pounds, saw my skin clear up, energy increased, I slept better, I had zero headaches or stomach aches, and my postpartum hair loss slowed down MUCH faster than it did with my first baby. The 30 days helped me to be aware of bad habits I'd fallen into, it taught me how to cook new things in new, healthy ways, it reduced my desire to snack all the time, and it gave me the boost I needed to start an exercise routine and stick with it!

The negativity on this thread is really...dumb. Whether or not you agree with all of the W30 claims, you cannot deny that eating fruits, vegetables, lean meants, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats is a bad thing. And no one is saying "never eat grains, dairy, beans, sugar, or alcohol again!". It is a short period of time eliminating foods that have be known to negatively affect people, and then you reintroduce them to see if they cause you any issues. With my reintroduction period I didn't find that I had major aversions to any of the non-compliant foods, but when I ate large amounts of grains, I just felt "heavy" and digestion wasn't as easy.

I'm doing a second round to curb some habits that have crept back in and to lost a little more weight (I've only gained back 2 of the 10 pounds I lost) and gain some energy back before a beach vacation next month. I plan on doing W30 (or W10-15) once or twice a year as a "reset".

Good luck to those of you starting a W30!

the thing with cutting certain foods out for 30 days,for some people that wont be enough time to see if its causing them allergies or other issues. most drs will say a few months then slowly reintroduce one food at a time,and then repeat with another food if still having issues. for me I was having stomach issues with one brand of eggs, couldnt understand why that was so I stopped eating them for a few months, no issues, went back to them and noticed I had stomach issues again,so I brought another brand and had NO issues. what exactly are you resetting? also I have seen no negativity,most people here have tried these things or know others who have and they are just letting others know about the program,.a lot of them do research and know what they are talking about.to me any diet you have to pay for or that promises fast results then its a fad.
  • brighteststitcher
    brighteststitcher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've done whole30 twice now and have had great results each time. The first I lost 12 pounds and the second I lost 10. It can get rough and you can get hangry but be VERY PREPARED. have your breakfast ready, lunch planned, etc. Love eggs, eat a lot of them. Get acquainted with aidell's chicken sausage. You will have great results and feel amazing by the end of it. If anyone wants some help, feel free to add me or message me. I'm counting and not even remotely eating paleo, but that's because my life is crazy hectic right now.