Ive tried military diet

Options

Replies

• vinbar1
    vinbar1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I still work out too you will see I take my 20 min walks even on fast days and will work out to keep from losing my muscle mass. You are probably right bpetrosky, Like I said I started out doing exactly what it told me to do and then I adjusted meals based on what worked best for me. But it did get me going and in a routine.
  • cantstopgypsy
    cantstopgypsy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    1. The list was not developed by the military.
    2. The military feeds its soldiers very well, and the only way a person WON'T gain on a true military diet is if they work out like they do in bootcamp.
    3. The list is nonsensical. Perhaps on purpose.
    4. It's a VLCD diet, so the results are likely temporary.

It's actually meant for people to lose quickly to get into the military.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    vinbar1 wrote: »
    Marzi, If you research the plan, it does not make any claim as to eating certain foods to help you lose weight. It is only 3 days at about 1000 cal. It tells you NOT to do it more then 3 days and it even tells you you can substitute. it give recommendations but it does not restrict you from making any substitutions as long as you keep to the cal count. So yes it is the same diet.

Well, it's not like a real thing with an official guide, but most discussions of it DO make silly claims about the magic of the foods (oh, the health benefits of hot dogs and saltines!).

http://www.3daymilitarydiet.net/about-the-diet.html
    The 3 Day Military diet consists of just 3 days of a very simple and easy to follow food list. The key to this diet is not the amount of calories consumed but rather the interaction between the different foods in each meal and how they work with your body and break down each other. There may be some substitutions in the food list but none proved enough to hold the exact same effect. As stated before the 3 day military diet is not simply about calories or nutritional value, it’s about the chemical balance of each food. It is highly recommended to stick to the 3 day military diet food list as closely as possible to get the maximum results the 3 day military diet can offer you. Follow these 3 simple meal plans and watch as the diet works its magic!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    2. The military feeds its soldiers very well, and the only way a person WON'T gain on a true military diet is if they work out like they do in bootcamp.

Not really. They also call it the Cardiac DIet, the Cleveland Clinic diet and a few other names claiming it is used by reputable hospitals to get patients to lose weight quickly prior to surgery. None of the hospitals use it and some have made public statements against the claim and the diet.

It is one of those misleading things to get people to try it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Ahhhh...nothing like a good old fashioned military diet thread...it's been, what? a couple days...

2946164.jpg

A couple days? More like a couple hours.

I will never understand the allure of a 3 day crash diet centered around hot dogs and tuna fish. I'd be miserable eating 800 calories a day.

I'd be miserable eating grocery store hot dogs and canned tuna. Two of the least appealing foods, IMO.

So for me it would be way less than 800 calories, and I wouldn't get the magical food combinations.

It really is weird that it's so apparently attractive to a certain segment of people who happen to pop in to MFP.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Marzi, If you research the plan, it does not make any claim as to eating certain foods to help you lose weight. It is only 3 days at about 1000 cal. It tells you NOT to do it more then 3 days and it even tells you you can substitute. it give recommendations but it does not restrict you from making any substitutions as long as you keep to the cal count. So yes it is the same diet.

"What is the Military Diet?
    You can lose up to 10 pounds per week on the Military Diet without strenuous exercise or prescriptions. And best of all, the Military Diet is free! The 3 day Military Diet is probably cheaper than what you’re eating right now. The food combinations in the Military Diet are designed to burn fat, kick start your metabolism and lose weight fast. In fact, the Military Diet is one of the best natural diets known for rapid weight loss without a prescription."

First page when searching Military Diet.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Not really. They also call it the Cardiac DIet, the Cleveland Clinic diet and a few other names claiming it is used by reputable hospitals to get patients to lose weight quickly prior to surgery. None of the hospitals use it and some have made public statements against the claim and the diet.

I think it's also the same as the "GM diet," which was supposedly invented by General Motors to help fat employees or some such idiocy. Also not true.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your TDEE? You state "and will work out to keep from losing my muscle mass", but chances are really good that at an average or 11000 calories per week, as a male, you are losing muscle mass.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think it's also the same as the "GM diet," which was supposedly invented by General Motors to help fat employees or some such idiocy. Also not true.

That's a new one!
    I hadn't heard that name before.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Nope. I needed to lose when I decided to join and it was never recommended to me and I have never heard of my friends who went into recruiting recommend it either.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

That's a new one!

When I looked it up it was also called the fax diet (because that's how it was passed around) and the Mayo Clinic diet.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That's a new one!

Oh, I was wrong. I think GM diet=cabbage soup diet.

http://www.iimahd.ernet.in/~jajoo/gmdiet.html
  • vinbar1
    Options
    Just in case you are looking ate my open logs. I started the diet before I started using myfitnesspal. and the three days are always tuesday thru Thursday. LEMURCAT12 you are right, that is why I sub with foods I like. And I never lost a drastic amount of weight in any one week. I never believed anyone could lose that much in 3 days unless you were on the biggest loser show and you were the biggest person. I started using MFP because I wanted to see how accurate it was compared to a spreadsheet I built. I still use both.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How do you "research" a "diet" with such sketchy origins?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    It looks very sodium heavy. Canned tuna and saltines I could stand but eating grapefruit would put it in the reject pile for me. Good old CI<CO= weight loss has worked very well for me. 2 lbs a week average loss, while eating the healthy foods of my choice with an occasional treat is the way to go in my opinion.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    How do you "research" a "diet" with such sketchy origins?

I was curious about the claim that hospitals used it and started searching. I checked the sites of some of the names used, I think American Heart Association was one of them, and came across their statements that they do not use nor do they endorse the diet. In fact, the discourage the use of the diet.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    rachelbouc wrote: »
    Okay...My dad brings MREs home on occasion and I've never seen food like at in them. Where's the BEEFy mac? Stick to CICO.

Yuck. MRE's. My dad STILL think it is a feast worthy meal and tries to share with everyone. Last time I saw him, he offered me spaghetti or something like that. I looked at him like he had two heads. Haha.

I tried the mashy taters once. SO GROSS. I even tried to add butter and sour cream + garlic. NOPE NOPE NOPE.
  • vinbar1
    Options
    Mantiuum999 you are right I am sure I am losing "some" muscle, I am in a weight loss. But I am working out to help lose less muscle. I have not done TDEE. Help direct me on how to do it and I will and post it.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Mantiuum999 you are right I am sure I am losing "some" muscle, I am in a weight loss. But I am working out to help lose less muscle. I have not done TDEE. Help direct me on how to do it and I will and post it.

I like this calculator myself:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
This discussion has been closed.