Are you willing to share one thing you used to binge on that now ...

Options

Replies

• kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to binge on a lot of things, some of them very strange - but I'd say the thing that is most unbelievable when I say it out loud, but seemed totally reasonable every time, was an entire large stuffed-crust pizza from Pizza Hut. Or a large Brooklyn-style pizza from Domino's. Or a large pizza from Papa John's or Casey's. Any large takeout pizza. I could go through the entire pizza, and I always felt HORRIBLE that night and often the next morning - physically and emotionally. For some reason, I can eat a frozen pizza (even one of the good ones) and exercise self-control. But I don't order pizza any more unless I'm splitting with someone.
  • ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    jelly beans- can and will eat whole bags of them.
    Same with candy corn.

Those are two foods I have a hard time stopping eating. I refuse to buy them outside the month they belong in (Jelly Beans = April, Candy Corn = October) and I'll allow myself as many as I want for that month- for the whole month- so I usually go through 4-5 bags- but I can typically reign it in once the bag is gone- or if it is currently not open- but once the bag is open- it's done- there is no going back.
    Same here!! And October is right around the corner......Here's to being strong!!!

• soon2bskinny4life
    soon2bskinny4life Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For me it was peanut M&M's! I still enjoy them a couple at a time but could easily polish off a bag in a couple of days before.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I.used to eat 2-3 overflowing plates of food at a Chinese buffet (I wanted to get my money's worth!"
    eating extra-buttery medium movie theater popcorn to myself
    both pregnancies I would get a loaf of french bread once a week or so and finish it (along with an entire stick of butter!) in one day
    5 cheesy gordita crunches in one sitting
    omg the list is endless. I have no idea how I got fat!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a bowl of ice cream after school almost every day, topped with Magic Shell - a lot of it. I haven't eaten that stuff for twenty years and saw some in a relative's pantry the other day. Over 100 calories - for one tbsp. There's no telling how many calories I was consuming in that bowl of ice cream. I used to have a major fast food addiction, too, and would frequently get a super sized Big Mac value meal without giving it a second thought. Fast food isn't evil, but not something I want to eat habitually.

• 915kat
    915kat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to binge on pizza mostly; I could eat half a pizza by myself in one sitting. The worst was going to a buffet. I would skip breakfast thinking I'd "save room". I could eat a whole pizza worth at a pizza buffet plus dessert. I can tell I retrained my eating habits because I went out to eat lunch with my sister the other day and literally got sick from the amount of food I ate, which I even felt wasnt alot.
  • madcat444
    madcat444 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a sweet tooth also....had/have no problems polishing off tubs of ice cream especially Ben and Jerry's. Also love chocolate and can eat way in excess.
    Another thing is baked goods such as bread, bagels etc usually always with sweet stuff - golden syrup, Nutella, peanut butter, jam etc. My favourite is Asda fresh hot cross buns with lashings of Nutella AND peanut butter. Mu mouth is watering just thinking about it - could easily eat six hot cross buns in one sitting :o

Main focus is moderation these days
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @Cathalain You're not alone. This thread is making me remember things I used to eat that I had forgotten about, and frosting was one of them. That was back before I even knew what I was doing was binging.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    jelly beans- can and will eat whole bags of them.
    Same with candy corn.

Those are two foods I have a hard time stopping eating. I refuse to buy them outside the month they belong in (Jelly Beans = April, Candy Corn = October) and I'll allow myself as many as I want for that month- for the whole month- so I usually go through 4-5 bags- but I can typically reign it in once the bag is gone- or if it is currently not open- but once the bag is open- it's done- there is no going back.
    Same here!! And October is right around the corner......Here's to being strong!!!

I've never really liked the candy corn, but I can kill 5 bags of those Brachs pumpkins in October easily. They're probably made out of the same thing, but I don't know.. I think they taste different.
  • Blueloubie
    Blueloubie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Crisps......Crisps and more crisps......No wonder I'm huge.,..... Secret stash in the car before I got home......No more!! Why do they make them taste so good!
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    God, so many things. Pizza. So much pizza. I used to be able to eat an entire 20" pizza in an evening. Large bags of Doritos, boxes of Cheez-Its and packages of Double-Stuf Oreos would be gone in an afternoon.

The worst, I would eat an entire 1lb bag of Mike and Ike candies in an evening. The sugar rush made me so jittery and then I'd have a terrible headache in the morning from the crash. That's one of the things that convinced me things needed to change quickly...
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    In the last couple of years, I had a big problem with all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ. I'd eat so much I'd be uncomfortable at the end and in a little bit of pain as we drove home. SO delicious but why in the world did I think I had to hurt myself in order to "get my money's worth."

I could also put pasta away like nobody's business. I rarely felt full even after eating a giant bowl of pasta (probably 10 servings).
  • newlife0202
    newlife0202 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ahh for me, it was everything dipped in mayo. yes mayo! I was addicted to it like crack. I dont even use mayo now nor like the taste of it. I would sip mayo with pizza, chicken, beef. rice, chips, crackers. I gained weight real quick doing that
  • jbirdy76
    jbirdy76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bingeing for me happens if I eat sweets, I can't eat just one cookie or one slice of cake, pie ect. But when I was at my lowest point emotionally Cheetos were my drug! At least a bag at a time if they were the cheddar jalapeño kind. And pizza is always a killer especially if I order thin crust for some reason I never fill up on that stuff. It has been a long time since I ate like that but know it would be so easy to fall back into it. I have to be ever mindful of my emotions and eating.
  • lornacatherine91
    lornacatherine91 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Gosh when I think about this I realise how out of control I was, this was a typical binge for me, this would usually happen when I got home from work having worked through lunch ...
    - Nutella ... by the spoonful straight from the jar!
    - Ice cream
    - Any type of cheese I could find
    - Crisps/chips
    - Peanut butter on toast
    Then I would probably eat dinner about an hour later. So glad I don't do this any more, now I eat very little dairy products and feel no urge to binge at all! Happy days!
  • kjackiw
    kjackiw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've been a lurker for close to 3 years on MFP but THIS discussion has really hit home for me. So much so that I had to post. Which I've never done before. Everything that you've all said, I've done. I was a secret eater even as a child. Boxes of fruit jellies, homemade baking, etc. etc. Jars of marshmallow fluff... Sweet or salty I love it all. That's the problem.
  • seraphicdoctor
    seraphicdoctor Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    rats2010 wrote: »
    I could order a loaded large pizza from Domino's and polish it off in less than half of my 12 hour night shift. The cravings still hit me when we drive by a pizza place, ANY pizza place to be honest, but it's been 2 months and I have not stopped yet. ;)

I'm there with you. I could eat pizza not stop. Ive only come across one type of pizza that was inedible. Other than that I could eat it forever.
  • seraphicdoctor
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    laurimaki wrote: »
    My secret is not a secret at all. I know my weaknesses, so honestly the thing that has worked best for me is not buying things I want. I don't buy oreos because I know myself well enough to know that I will eat at LEAST 6 or more in one sitting if not the whole package...that and other things; Ice cream, Chips, etc...I just don't purchase them. I really enjoy having a few at a party or something like that, but I think a huge part of getting on the right track and staying there, is not putting yourself in situations that lead down the wrong track to begin with, aka stocking my cupboards with stuff I know I can't resist very easily.

Same here, I don't buy the stuff anymore. Now I tell myself I have to MAKE the thing I want so badly. And If i can't get the energy up to do that then it wasn't worth the effort of making. A couple weeks ago I had a craving for brownies and I told myself while I could walk down to the local bakery and buy one, that if I really wanted one I would make a batch. It took me 2 weeks to get the energy up to make them. And then my grandma ate half of them.

My current desire is to make fresh bread. I love bread but I know it will 1) taste better and 2) have less preservatives in it than store bought (unless from a bakery) and 3) it's a freaking challenge! I already killed my sour dough starter...so I'm going to try pita bread. HAHA! :p

Oh and my binge food: Cheese. I have eaten whole blocks of cheddar and those White Cheddar Cheese-its! OMG YUM!!!

That is a great idea. If you want it, go to the trouble of making it. AND I bet homemade is still a little more healthy than store bought.
  • seraphicdoctor
    Options
    I used to binge on a lot of things, some of them very strange - but I'd say the thing that is most unbelievable when I say it out loud, but seemed totally reasonable every time, was an entire large stuffed-crust pizza from Pizza Hut. Or a large Brooklyn-style pizza from Domino's. Or a large pizza from Papa John's or Casey's. Any large takeout pizza. I could go through the entire pizza, and I always felt HORRIBLE that night and often the next morning - physically and emotionally. For some reason, I can eat a frozen pizza (even one of the good ones) and exercise self-control. But I don't order pizza any more unless I'm splitting with someone.

I can't tell you how many times I've stopped at Casey's so impulsively and grabbed a piece of pizza. It is really good pizza.
  • seraphicdoctor
    Options
    teephil wrote: »
    God, so many things. Pizza. So much pizza. I used to be able to eat an entire 20" pizza in an evening. Large bags of Doritos, boxes of Cheez-Its and packages of Double-Stuf Oreos would be gone in an afternoon.

The worst, I would eat an entire 1lb bag of Mike and Ike candies in an evening. The sugar rush made me so jittery and then I'd have a terrible headache in the morning from the crash. That's one of the things that convinced me things needed to change quickly...

Doritos are probably the bane of my existence. I would make a plate of those and dump a bunch of sharp cheddar on top to make nachos.