Any Success Stories using a personal trainer (losing 50lbs or more)?

Options

Does anyone have a weight-loss success story using the help of a personal trainer who also will help with your nutrition--with the specific goals of weight loss and toning? If so, would you
pls. share the details on how long you used them (how many days per week for how many weeks or months), how they helped you and if it was worth the cost?

What was your experience using a personal trainer to help you lose the weight?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Replies

• flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi I lost 40lbs working with a trainer over 9months. I was always very skeptical about using one, had health issues, and had gained a lot of weight when I was ill. and first day back at my local gym one of the personal trainers offered me a free session - so why not I thought .....
    I worked with him x 3 a week, dropped to two then one when I got more confident. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone , got lots of encouragement and advice but most of all I think it was the commitment of it being in the diary and having paid for it then I pitched up even when I didn't feel like it. Good luck
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have used a trainer. I have lost 75 lbs. One has nothing to do with the other. Actually, that's not quite true. I could not have lost my weight without resolutely ignoring his unsolicited and ill-founded nutrition advice.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hi I lost 40lbs working with a trainer over 9months. I was always very skeptical about using one, had health issues, and had gained a lot of weight when I was ill. and first day back at my local gym one of the personal trainers offered me a free session - so why not I thought .....
    I worked with him x 3 a week, dropped to two then one when I got more confident. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone , got lots of encouragement and advice but most of all I think it was the commitment of it being in the diary and having paid for it then I pitched up even when I didn't feel like it. Good luck

How wonderful! Thank you so much for your encouraging reply!!! o:)

• pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have used a trainer. I have lost 75 lbs. One has nothing to do with the other. Actually, that's not quite true. I could not have lost my weight without resolutely ignoring his unsolicited and ill-founded nutrition advice.
    Hahaha, agreed. Whatever you do, find a trainer who listens to your goals. I went to a trainer 2x a week and asked to learn how to lift weights (she advertised herself as an award-winning powerlifter. Shouldn't have been too difficult.) The cost (exorbitant) was supposed to come with a meal plan which she never gave me, but in the end I think that's OK as her ideas on nutrition and eating to lose weight were faaaaalse (she made fun of people who eat donuts all the time! It'd make me hungry for one and I'd go grab one after our sessions and count it on mfp, lol).

Anyway though, she wasn't interested in my goals. Each session was a glorified 30 Day Shred session and I learned nothing about lifting. I quit after spending nearly $500 and really regretted not probing a bit more before I began working with her. Ask questions and make sure the trainer cares about YOUR goals!
  • inspirezme
    inspirezme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the quality of the trainer. I have used a few at the big box gyms and they were only useful for making me feel like I had to go since I had made an appt and paid money. They also watched and corrected my form most of the time. However, it wasn't until I joined a small weight gym whose sole focus is personal/small group training that I found someone who personalized the routines and exercises not only to my goals, but to what he knows is best for me, despite what I think I want. I haven't lost a ton of weight yet (it's been less than 3 months), but I am starting to see some muscle growth and my form and performance have definitely improved without injury. Bottom line, make sure to interview and find someone that you really trust and has a good track record.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options

Kudos on the 75lbs...that's tremendous!

• soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I payed $250 a month for a trainer and I didnt loose 1 pound thanks to her...its all up to you and the amount of effort YOU put into it. You are the one that needs to eat right when they are not looking and you are the one that needs to work your but off in the gym to loose it and reach your goals. All the trainer cares about is that your payment is made on time. Id tell her what injuries I had and she would still try to make me work through things that would hurt me....Rather than change up a routine when you got comfortable she would just chit chat with her budies at the gym while waiting for me to finish. Didn't even help me understand diet or nutrition. Clearly I had a bad experience with my trainer and im sure they arent all the same, but what I said stands true...you need to put in the work and you need to hold yourself accountable.
  • khyman
    khyman Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've lost 82 lbs (so far) with the help of a trainer. I always felt, as a 50 something woman, I didn't need someone to help me be accountable. Then my gym ran a special for 10 half hour PT sessions for $100 so I signed up. And I was amazed at the difference it made. Yes, I had to do the work and yes, I had to watch what I ate but having someone to talk it over with and to push me a little on the fitness side as well as correct my form - the weight came off. I've stayed with him for 2 1/2 years. I plateaued for 9 months but I've started losing again. Not all trainers are good but a good one can make the difference. Thanks Kent!
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My trainer comes to my house, so not easy to dodge! She has all sorts of qualifications, but also offered a free first session to see if we were compatible - probably the most important part. She didn't give me a meal plan and I already knew what I needed to do to lose weight, but she weighs me once a week and had me keep a food diary at first to spot anything obvious. Small adjustments are what she advocates. Anyway, yes she helped keep me on track and getting fitter, but I'm the one who puts the food in my mouth.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Hahaha, agreed. Whatever you do, find a trainer who listens to your goals. I went to a trainer 2x a week and asked to learn how to lift weights (she advertised herself as an award-winning powerlifter. Shouldn't have been too difficult.) The cost (exorbitant) was supposed to come with a meal plan which she never gave me, but in the end I think that's OK as her ideas on nutrition and eating to lose weight were faaaaalse (she made fun of people who eat donuts all the time! It'd make me hungry for one and I'd go grab one after our sessions and count it on mfp, lol).

Anyway though, she wasn't interested in my goals. Each session was a glorified 30 Day Shred session and I learned nothing about lifting. I quit after spending nearly $500 and really regretted not probing a bit more before I began working with her. Ask questions and make sure the trainer cares about YOUR goals!

Thank you <3 pariskathryn <3 ever so much for sharing your experience with me and giving this most excellent advice too--it is truly more helpful to me than you will ever know. I'm so sorry you wasted all that money. {{{ Hugs}}}

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    inspirezme wrote: »
    I think it really depends on the quality of the trainer. I have used a few at the big box gyms and they were only useful for making me feel like I had to go since I had made an appt and paid money. They also watched and corrected my form most of the time. However, it wasn't until I joined a small weight gym whose sole focus is personal/small group training that I found someone who personalized the routines and exercises not only to my goals, but to what he knows is best for me, despite what I think I want. I haven't lost a ton of weight yet (it's been less than 3 months), but I am starting to see some muscle growth and my form and performance have definitely improved without injury. Bottom line, make sure to interview and find someone that you really trust and has a good track record.

Thank you so much for posting this and sharing your experience, you ROCK!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer at a small privately owned gym/fitness studio for 14 months and have lost 99 pounds and more tha 50 inches. He's just itching for that last pound to show up on his scales. I go 2-3x per week with one session usually being a group circuit training class (5-10 people). He focuses on strength training with some cardio thrown in. Not just weights, but also resistance bands, bodyweight, med balls, TRX, etc. Lots of variety in the workouts. He is very good at nutrition and food log analysis. I actually kept a food log only for 2.5 months. I am very consistent in what I eat (lots of similar meals) and have the discipline to stay with my plan. Last month I logged for a week again and I was right on point with calories and macros, so back to no logging. Not everyone can do this, but it works for me. Good luck with your journey!
  • MABSCALL911
    MABSCALL911 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a wonderful personal trainer that I started with mid March this year and workout with him 3 times a week for 30 minute per session with an occasional 1 hour session. He told me to use MFP on our first session and has me journal all my meals and reviews them before each workout. I currently have lost 65 pounds since March but the bigger reward is I can walk again after being confined to an electric scooter for 7 years. My personal trainer is my coach, my cheerleader, my motivator and even more important has become a friend to this 64 year old lady who is making a huge lifestyle change.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I have a wonderful personal trainer that I started with mid March this year and workout with him 3 times a week for 30 minute per session with an occasional 1 hour session. He told me to use MFP on our first session and has me journal all my meals and reviews them before each workout. I currently have lost 65 pounds since March but the bigger reward is I can walk again after being confined to an electric scooter for 7 years. My personal trainer is my coach, my cheerleader, my motivator and even more important has become a friend to this 64 year old lady who is making a huge lifestyle change.

<3<3<3 You're a SUPERSTAR, period. <3<3<3 Thank you SO much for sharing!!!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    As a PT myself, it's ALWAYS going to vary from person to person. I've had some that were consistent, and MANY not consistent who have lost 50lbs or more. I don't write nutrition plans, I only help them find a reasonable calorie deficit and leave it up to them on how to reach it. I may help with macro ratios.
    But again, it's going to be up to the person. We're not there 24/7 to instruct, guide, discipline, encourage, etc. At most it's an hour or so a couple of days a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been with one for a little over two months. I pay $200/month for 2 sessions a week. I like my 30 minute sessions with her since she does circuits that push me harder than I would push myself. So in terms of quality of workouts, its been awesome. However, I do wish she would be more personable and give me plans to do outside of our session, since I'm typically clueless what to do on the day before or after (don't want to overdo a muscle group). And I notice that the workouts she gives me will be the same to the rest of her clients the rest of the day, so she typically takes workouts she would do herself and gives them to her clients. So it's not actually personable to me. I know I should take my business elsewhere, but I like working-out in my gym in my office so this is why I stay...

I say do research though, I know other trainors who have been very good at personalizing the sessions and making it work for you and your goals.
  • lowforshow2002
    lowforshow2002 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started using a trainer 1 month ago and I am down 20 lbs but my muscle build I'd starting to show already. He showed me how to watch my macros and so for so good. I have him for 6 months. I'll let you know when it's over. HD has already got my forum to z science. Loving it
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    khyman wrote: »
    I've lost 82 lbs (so far) with the help of a trainer. I always felt, as a 50 something woman, I didn't need someone to help me be accountable. Then my gym ran a special for 10 half hour PT sessions for $100 so I signed up. And I was amazed at the difference it made. Yes, I had to do the work and yes, I had to watch what I ate but having someone to talk it over with and to push me a little on the fitness side as well as correct my form - the weight came off. I've stayed with him for 2 1/2 years. I plateaued for 9 months but I've started losing again. Not all trainers are good but a good one can make the difference. Thanks Kent!

WOW! {{{ <3 Hugs and High Fives you winner, you! <3 }}}} 82 pounds is excellent and being 50 something is just encouraging as can be to me. Thank you so much for posting!

• valerietinker
    valerietinker Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Does anyone have a weight-loss success story using the help of a personal trainer who also will help with your nutrition--with the specific goals of weight loss and toning? If so, would you
    pls. share the details on how long you used them (how many days per week for how many weeks or months), how they helped you and if it was worth the cost?

What was your experience using a personal trainer to help you lose the weight?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

• valerietinker
    valerietinker Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Yes I started 12 months ago , never done gym work. Got a PT, he is amazing . Didn't lose weight at first but inches. Did cardio for about 4 weeks with light free weights. After 4 weeks dropped cardio, did about 5 mins as a warm up and maybe 5 /10 mins on a quick circuit but not always . Did 45 mins out of a full hour of weights. Do mostly weights now with him as it's proven to burn more cals . I have now lost 4 stone 9 pound in 12 months.
    I see him 3 times a week to help me complete a 10k obstacle course
    I'm 55 yrs old bug feel 40
    Val
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!