I called oatmeal cookies unhealthy and I got blasted - why?

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    food cannot be healthy it cannot have a state of being. well or ill It can be more healthful in terms of nutrients, but food is not black and white. Sugar supply calories, flour supplies b vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates, raisins provide iron, oatmeal fiber, chocolate excellent source of Mg, butter fatty acids even the antivral like butyric acid. You combine that it provides a great source of our macronutrients and some of the micronutrients we need in a day.

Well said.

giphy.gif
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Would love to see OP's health diary
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    The only way cookies are "unhealthy" is if you eat 5 pounds of them.

Have you ever actually tried to eat 5 lbs. of cookies? If not, then I'll go ahead and share the problem... you get a gallon bucket of cookies and you start eating them. After about 20 min. of eating cookies, you find that you are pretty close to "the bottom of the barrel" (or bucket technically) and the cookies on the bottom are crumbled. So you try to eat pieces of cookies... that works for a bit until you realize that the pieces get smaller as you keep going. Now all you can do to eat them is scoop them up with a spoon. That isn't very fun, so you come up with an idea... if you can just find some ice cream, you can use these cookies as a topping. But then you find ice cream and realize that it is easier to just dump ice cream in the bucket with the cookie crumbs and mix this up. But there are so many crumbs and the consistency is wrong... so before you realize it, you have not only eaten 5 lbs. of cookies, but also half a gallon of ice cream. You think... I could handle the cookies, but now with the ice cream, I feel like a "fatty." And you have self-hate. But the cookies were delicious before you got to the crumbs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's how to make the best chocolate chip cookie. By science. I am sure it is easily adaptable to an oatmeal raisin cookie. I advocate half shortening and half butter.

http://time.com/3179770/the-science-behind-baking-the-most-delicious-cookie-ever/

But for a habitual volume eater, they better stick to butterscotch flavoured popcorn.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Side note, only one or two of the white knights in this thread seems to have lost a significant amount of weight. [Edited by MFP mod] Who do you want to listen to?

I am not sure if I'm a white knight or not but I've lost 94 pounds and I do find a handful of the people here to be rude and often just mean and they have not lost a significant amount of weight either!

I'm talking about this thread specifically, not "people on here" generally. Most of those arguing for a balanced approach that includes the occasional oatmeal cookie have had success.

Not sure why my original post was edited by a mod. Guess it was mean?
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Moving on, what oatmeal cookie recipes do you guys use? I now want to make some and I don't have a good recipe. I like chewy/soft cookies.

No banana or applesauce.
    This is the best oatmeal raisin cookie I have ever made/eaten. Every time I bring these somewhere, they get destroyed.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Moving on, what oatmeal cookie recipes do you guys use? I now want to make some and I don't have a good recipe. I like chewy/soft cookies.

No banana or applesauce.
    This is the best oatmeal raisin cookie I have ever made/eaten. Every time I bring these somewhere, they get destroyed.

Bookmarked site for use of grams! It sucks when you use a food scale as you dirty up measuring cups.
  • Serah87
    Options

No banana or applesauce.

Those look delicious. Do you know the calories for the cookies??
  • Serah87
    Options

No banana or applesauce.

Bookmarked site for use of grams! It sucks when you use a food scale as you dirty up measuring cups.
    Bookmarked also. Thought it was pretty cool too. :)
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

No banana or applesauce.

Do I? Of course :wink:

I make them using my small cookie scoop and a single batch makes 33 small cookies. Nutritional Info: 76 cals/3.1g fat/11.2g carbs/1.1g protein

ETA: I don't use walnuts when I make them.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

No banana or applesauce.

I just use the recipe on the Quaker Oats box. I've tried several others on their website, and a few from some youtube cooks I follow, but the one on the Quaker Oats box is my favorite... and it's conveniently located.

I've had better oatmeal cookies than that recipe, though, but I didn't make them.

I did once attempt to make oatmeal cookies where half the butter was subbed with greek yogurt. An idea I came across on Pinterest. They were alright, but tasted more like pancakes than cookies.

• Serah87
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

No banana or applesauce.

Do I? Of course :wink:

I make them using my small cookie scoop and a single batch makes 33 small cookies. Nutritional Info: 76 cals/3.1g fat/11.2g carbs/1.1g protein
    Thank you. :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I use either the recipe from the quaker box or the one on sally's baking addiction. I love her stuff with the exception of her vanilla cupcakes which didn't turn out for me.

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2014/07/24/soft-chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies/

I'm glad this devolved into a recipe thread instead of a mean people thread. I mean, god people, it's only Wednesday. Have some self respect.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jafa_bunz wrote: »
    OP asked why she got blasted and this is why, because some people think there is no such thing as unhealthy food
    But there really isn't. There are foods that are nutrient deficient, but that doesn't mean it's unhealthy. Look at water. Zero nutrients, but required for the body to operate efficiently. The problem here is that many people who are considered unhealthy, eat nutrient deficient food that's calorie dense the majority of the time. So the correlation is that the food is the issue they are unhealthy.
    But take someone who consumes the needed macro/micronutrients, stays within a calorie limit WHILE still having that nutrient deficient food and I doubt their health is impacted that much.
    Personally I have ice cream almost every night. For years. I don't stuff my face, I just have like a 1/4 cup. Hasn't affected my physical health, but it's kept my mental health (happy) intact.
    There is a personal aspect to this attempt to define a "healthy" food. E.g., if I run a marathon then calorie rich, dense foods are not only OK, they are needed. At least for that day. In general though, we have goals that match our body caloric and nutrient requirements. Foods that make it harder to meet those goals and thus lead to either too many calories or too little nutrients are indeed unhealthy. I agree that unhealthy foods can be eaten in moderation.

The problem is amplified for dieters on calorie restriction because they seek low caloric density, high nutrient foods. For them the cart of unhealthy foods is big. I say unhealthy because those foods interfere with their health goals of losing weight.

An extreme example is this: Glucose loading is in general not a healthy food because it often leads e.g. to hyperinsulinemia. Yet for a person that is hypoglycemic, a glucose load is the perfect food. So much so that it is sometimes injected intravenously.

If I was feeling nitpicky, I would ask OP to say "foods unhealthy for her." YMM (and will) V. If the personal context of what makes the foods unhealthy is included then pissing matches might be avoided. No doubt, cookies are unhealthy for binge eaters of sweets.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lovellm122 wrote: »
    LOL. I'm not gonna get deep into it guys. If you wanna follow that system and it works well for you's and your happy then carry on making the great progress :smile: .... My personal opinion is that we should try and achieve our daily calorie limit and macros from the 'healthiest' sources of produce. Whats better for your body, heart, overall wellbeing, getting your macros from skinless chicken, tuna, spinach, salad, turkey, beets, broccoli; or cake, pizza, chocolate, cheese burgers, pop tarts etc? Its just my belief and its worked more than well for me. dropped 49 pounds of fat within the last 5 months and put 7 pounds of muscle on. I just dont believe in IIFYM or cheat meals and stuff like that. But if it works well for ppl and they are happy then carry on :)

As Alan Aragon states, "once your body gets all of it's nutrients, you don't get extra points for consuming more". Even if you ate "healthier" foods, your body would just pee out the excess.

Also, how are your measuring fat loss vs muscle gain?
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Anything can be unhealthy without moderation.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    food cannot be healthy it cannot have a state of being. well or ill It can be more healthful in terms of nutrients, but food is not black and white. Sugar supply calories, flour supplies b vitamins, protein, and carbohydrates, raisins provide iron, oatmeal fiber, chocolate excellent source of Mg, butter fatty acids even the antivral like butyric acid. You combine that it provides a great source of our macronutrients and some of the micronutrients we need in a day.

You, you get the hell out of here with your logic! Just what do you think you're doing?! ;)
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

No banana or applesauce.

I completely bastardized this recipe into oatmeal white chocolate raspberry cookies: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/award-winning-soft-chocolate-chip-cookies/detail.aspx

I replaced half the flour with ground oatmeal, subbed white chocolate for chocolate chips, and left out the nuts and added raspberries. They were overly soft, so it will require some tweaking.

I may or may not have screenshot this, you know, research. ;)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Get outta here with that rational analysis nonsense and that healthy relationship with food. What kind of place do you think this is?!?

Youre right cookies bad, evil and demonic and broccoli is the Messiah of food oh hail broccoli