I am a Chef who is into Nutrition and Fitness. Ask me anything...

1171819202123»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    bumping cause I like this thread and got some good advice
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Caitwn wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Any time I try to do a bread coating it almost always falls off. It doesn't matter if I bake or fry the coating never sticks. Any tips for getting a nice golden breading?

It depends what you are coating.

For boneless, skinless chicken breasts, the order is:

1) Chicken Breasts (thin sliced, pre-marinated, seasoned with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, any other dry spices you desire)
    2) Seasoned Flour (kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, flour)
    3) Seasoned Egg (stirred thoroughly to combine yolks & whites, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, fresh minced parsley)
    4) Panko Bread Crumbs (seasoned the same way as the chicken)

^Season everything.

--Pre-marinate the chicken with fresh garlic, scallions, olive oil, black pepper, fresh herbs, etc.
    --Coat with flour and slap off the excess. You just want a light coating of flour.
    --Dip in egg wash and let the excess drip off.
    --Thoroughly coat with panko bread crumbs. Set on a sheet tray prior to frying.
    --Start with a hot pan. Add enough oil or the oil + butter. Wait until the oil is hot.
    --Let the chicken sear until golden brown. Carefully flip without disturbing the crust.
    --Sear the other side. Let drain on paper towels.

Thank you! I was trying to make nuggets for my son and a pretty pathetic attempt at chile relleno. Scrambled eggs milk or no milk?

I love this thread, and can't begin to approach the depth of knowledge and skill that sixxpoint has, but I do know how to cook great chile rellenos. The most common missteps I see when people make rellenos are using a flour-based batter and using (oh please god don't do this) enchilada sauce instead of salsa. For delicious, traditional rellenos, just use eggs like so (I'm assuming here that you have already you have roasted, peeled, and stuffed your chiles):

Pre-warm your oven to 200.

For 4 chiles rellenos, you need 4 large eggs, separated and brought to room temperature. Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl until light in color and frothy (about 2 minutes).

Add 1/2 tsp. salt to the egg whites and use a mixer to beat until stiff peaks form (about 1.5 minutes)

Add the egg yolks to the whites and gently fold them in with a spatula until they are just barely combined. Set aside.

Heat 1 C cooking oil (your choice - you want a high smoke point) in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until it's quite hot - about 4 minutes.

Work with one chile at a time. Drop 1/2 C. of the egg batter into the oil and use a spatula to spread it out to about the same size as the chile. Lay the chile cut-side down on top of the batter. Drop another 1/2 C. of batter on top and use a spatula to spread it evenly around the rest of the chile, covering all but the stem.

Cook until the bottom is golden-brown (2-3 minutes). Then use a spatula + a fork to carefully turn the relleno over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. If you need to, use a spatula or tongs to stand it on each side to brown. Place the relleno on a rack, and put into oven. Do the same with the remaining chiles as you finish them. Serve with warmed roasted tomato salsa or salsa verde.

yep did a flour batter! I use chile rojo for my sauce since I am a New Mexican.
  • jereems
    jereems Posts: 2 Member
    I’m still allowed 400 gm carb, 60 gm protein, 14 gm fiber today. Can you design my dinner, but needs to be low sodium, please?
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    jereems wrote: »
    I’m still allowed 400 gm carb, 60 gm protein, 14 gm fiber today. Can you design my dinner, but needs to be low sodium, please?

The OP hasn't been on here for over a year.