Struggling to hit protein goal

Options

Replies

• terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The "best" way? Ice cream and pasta with a side of potatoes. There's so many carb options. Once you tell yourself "I can eat lots of carbs," it's not that hard to find them.
  • ScottPhillips94
    ScottPhillips94 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've had 4x bread slices today 2 with egg and 2 on their own,
    Also had pasta for meal 1 with tuna.
    Jacket potatoe could be an option
  • harryfrankham1
    harryfrankham1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 350g protein bro, myfitness forums is the worst possible place to ask these sort of questions
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 350g protein bro, myfitness forums is the worst possible place to ask these sort of questions

says the new guy.

there is absolutely no need for someone bulking to break themselves over trying to hit an unreasonably high protein goal. - and 1.) he's bulking and 2.) that's an unreasonably high protein goal.

so- yeah.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Maybe you should spend some time doing some more research. If you like articles:

This one is from your bros at bb.com

http://rippedbody.jp/nutritional-hierarchy-importance-macros-fibre-alcohol/

Or if you want some studies, this thread can be beneficial.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've had 4x bread slices today 2 with egg and 2 on their own,
    Also had pasta for meal 1 with tuna.
    Jacket potatoe could be an option
    Ok thanks guys,
    What are the best ways of getting those extra carbs in ?

I get the carbs in via oats, potatoes, brown rice, bananas, apples, pasta, pizzas, chips, popcorn, etc. There are loads of options so eat and enjoy.
  • harryfrankham1
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Maybe you should spend some time doing some more research. If you like articles:

This is where the problem sits, people read too much *kitten* online, you need to try tactics yourself and see how your body takes, not taking info from prople who havent a clue what theyre talking about
  • haraldxedge
    haraldxedge Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Jesus christ - 360g protein?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options

This is where the problem sits, people read too much *kitten* online, you need to try tactics yourself and see how your body takes, not taking info from prople who havent a clue what theyre talking about

So I should believe in broscience (because that is what you did) instead of actual studies from scientist. And you do realize that this information is from people in the fitness industry who have been doing it for a long time, right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

yea, forget science, just do random trials on your body and spin your wheels….

wow..
  • JoRocka
    Options

while a lot of this does have a substantial amount of trial and error- I mean bulking is pretty self explanitory- if you aren't gaining- you aren't eating enough, but the research and experience of others is an easy guide to get you started in the right direction and use self guided experience for the rest of it.

There is absolutely NO need to eat that much protein. ESPECIALLY while bulking!

And how do you have any possible clue if we know what we are talking about? why should OP believe you're outlandish claims any more than the rest of us- who have been here and have been showing proof for years on this particular site?

I had a very successful 5 month bulk- 20 pounds- 160 up to 182- successfully have cut the weight and maintained decent size.

I mean I'm only a girl- so I realize i only know but SO much- but I bulked from size 6 to a 14 and now I weight the same and i'm a 10- so I had a least one successful go round.

You have literally offered NO thoughtful advice- I'm pretty sure at this point you're just a troll.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Carbs are king for bulking, not protein, as long as you get adequate protein (0.8 grams per lb of lean body mass is enough).

Protein is more important during a cut than it is in a bulk in order to retain lean mass.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    When I read threads like this I feel as though I know nothing John Snow.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »

winter is coming.

so you should bulk.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    sadiebrawl wrote: »

winter is coming.

so you should bulk.

cosign
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm actually pumped- I think I'm going to go for it after my race- I am scheduling a powerlifting meet for April with the gym team.

Might as well get good and f*cking fluffy for that :D
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    That is almost enough protein for two of you.

More like three of him.

210 lbs. x 0.60-0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight = 126-168 grams protein per day for a target range.

At that 210 lbs, your muscles will not be able to utilize more protein than 168 grams for new muscle synthesis purposes.

My daily macros look like this
    Calories: 3600
    Protein 40% 360g
    Carbs 45% 400g
    Fat 15% 60g

First and foremost, you are undereating dietary fat.

Also, just because you have a high calorie goal doesn't mean you have to adhere to MFP's percentage breakdown. Go by grams. They are more accurate and you won't be spending a fortune on protein (the most expensive macro to buy in the supermarket).

That said, at 210 lbs. your ratio (while paying attention to the grams the %'s provide) should be closer to:

Protein 20-25%
    Carbs 40-45%
    Fat 35-40%

When bulking, it would be silly not to focus on more dietary fat at 9 calories per gram vs. carb & protein's 4 calories per gram.
  • harryfrankham1
    Options
    400g + protein over here, comeatmebros
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    400g + protein over here, comeatmebros

:trollface: your game is weak..... :trollface:

Go somewhere else...
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    richln wrote: »
    That is almost enough protein for two of you.

More like three of him.

210 lbs. x 0.60-0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight = 126-168 grams protein per day for a target range.

At that 210 lbs, your muscles will not be able to utilize more protein than 168 grams for new muscle synthesis purposes.

My daily macros look like this
    Protein 40% 360g
    Carbs 45% 400g
    Fat 15% 60g

First and foremost, you are undereating dietary fat.

Also, just because you have a high calorie goal doesn't mean you have to adhere to MFP's percentage breakdown. Go by grams. They are more accurate and you won't be spending a fortune on protein (the most expensive macro to buy in the supermarket).

That said, at 210 lbs. your ratio (while paying attention to the grams the %'s provide) should be closer to:

Protein 20-25%
    Carbs 40-45%
    Fat 35-40%

When bulking, it would be silly not to focus on more dietary fat at 9 calories per gram vs. carb & protein's 4 calories per gram.

^^^ 100% agree ^^^

I consume 115-140g of protein daily @ 170lbs BW and still continue to add LBM, as well as, my strength has been increasing too.

Carbs are near 400g and about 100g of Fat too. Fat helps to keep anabolic hormones at optimal levels.