U.S. Navy 1.5 Mile run time

hey yall,

So I've enlisted in the U.S. Navy and ship in October for basic training. Part of that is a 1.5 mile run in under 12:30 for someone in my age group (21). I am running currently (just restarted a few days ago after a year long no run lol) and j am at 9:25 for a one miler. How can I get to running 1.5 in under 12:30? Any advice would help. And yes I know "just run" and "running constantly is the only way"

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    You could add in a couple of sprints. Every couple of minutes sprint for 30 seconds.
  • gelica_15
    gelica_15 Posts: 12 Member
    Interval sprinting is the best way to run faster. Also, forego running on a treadmill for actual terrain because you will have to run outdoors for your basic training. If you absolutely need to run on a treadmill, try this Treadmill Blast workout and make sure you ramp that incline up a bit. I was able to cut a bit of time off my run when I used to do this three times a week. However the main key is to push yourself harder each time. I found that if I wasn't completely exhausted from sprints then I didn't run hard enough. You should feel like passing out after you are done sprinting. :-)

Treadmill Blast
    >
    > 1. Warm up: 10min. 15 incline Speed 2.5-6.0. Make sure this is hard enough to get you very warm. No holding on to the rails.
    >
    > 2. Speed Drills 60 second sprints .5-5.0 incline (it's up to you) 6.0-10.0 speed after the sprint, bring the treadmill back to slower pace jog, like 5.0 or 5.5. So 1 min hard, 1 min soft and recover. You should not be able to talk during this. We will repeat this sequence 10 times.
    >
    > 3. Backwards walk/or jog, 10 min. Slow treadmill down to 2.5. step off and straddle the machine. Turn around and begin walking backwards very slowly. Keep holding the sides with your hands. When, and if comfortable, pick up your pace. If you want to let go you can, or you can hold on the entire time.
    >
    > 4. Fast Run: 10 min. Look at clock and record time just before we begin. Running, without stopping, your fast 10 minutes. We will record this number again next month. 0 incline 6.0-11.0 speed you can adjust your speed as needed throughout the hard run.
    >
    > 5. 30 second sprints: I think we will have time for (5-7). This time, it's 30 seconds at your fast pace: 6.0-12.0 + whatever you can do. You can either jump off holding the rails and rest 30 seconds, or slow the treadmill down during the 30 second rest. If you are not comfortable jumping back on a moving treadmill, don't do it. Just slow it down, get on, then speed it up again.
    >
    > 6. Cool down- stretch. If we have time, let's walk for several minutes, then stretch.
    >
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    gelica_15 wrote: »
    Interval sprinting is the best way to run faster. Also, forego running on a treadmill for actual terrain because you will have to run outdoors for your basic training. If you absolutely need to run on a treadmill, try this Treadmill Blast workout and make sure you ramp that incline up a bit. I was able to cut a bit of time off my run when I used to do this three times a week. However the main key is to push yourself harder each time. I found that if I wasn't completely exhausted from sprints then I didn't run hard enough. You should feel like passing out after you are done sprinting. :-)

Treadmill Blast
    >
    > 1. Warm up: 10min. 15 incline Speed 2.5-6.0. Make sure this is hard enough to get you very warm. No holding on to the rails.
    >
    > 2. Speed Drills 60 second sprints .5-5.0 incline (it's up to you) 6.0-10.0 speed after the sprint, bring the treadmill back to slower pace jog, like 5.0 or 5.5. So 1 min hard, 1 min soft and recover. You should not be able to talk during this. We will repeat this sequence 10 times.
    >
    > 3. Backwards walk/or jog, 10 min. Slow treadmill down to 2.5. step off and straddle the machine. Turn around and begin walking backwards very slowly. Keep holding the sides with your hands. When, and if comfortable, pick up your pace. If you want to let go you can, or you can hold on the entire time.
    >
    > 4. Fast Run: 10 min. Look at clock and record time just before we begin. Running, without stopping, your fast 10 minutes. We will record this number again next month. 0 incline 6.0-11.0 speed you can adjust your speed as needed throughout the hard run.
    >
    > 5. 30 second sprints: I think we will have time for (5-7). This time, it's 30 seconds at your fast pace: 6.0-12.0 + whatever you can do. You can either jump off holding the rails and rest 30 seconds, or slow the treadmill down during the 30 second rest. If you are not comfortable jumping back on a moving treadmill, don't do it. Just slow it down, get on, then speed it up again.
    >
    > 6. Cool down- stretch. If we have time, let's walk for several minutes, then stretch.
    >

Thanks! I have a similar goal so think I will adjust this slightly to get to my target time.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2015
    sarnold958 wrote: »
    hey yall,

So I've enlisted in the U.S. Navy and ship in October for basic training. Part of that is a 1.5 mile run in under 12:30 for someone in my age group (21). I am running currently (just restarted a few days ago after a year long no run lol) and j am at 9:25 for a one miler. How can I get to running 1.5 in under 12:30? Any advice would help. And yes I know "just run" and "running constantly is the only way"

What I generally advise those under my command to do in terms of preparation for a Basic Fitness Test is to train to 5K/ 30 minutes. At that low level of running adding distance pays more dividends than bothering with speedwork. It's a question of identifying where you'll get most benefit.

You need to run at a steady, sustainable pace for most of your mileage. Sprinting has very limited value until you have a solid aerobic base; 10K 3 to 4 times per week. All it really does, at your level, is increase your injury risk which will mean you have to defer your entry date.

What I would say is, do not use a dreadmill for your pre-joining training. You'll run in the real world while you're in new entry training, so get used to running in the real beforehand.

fwiw, I'm 45 and for my last fitness test I did the 1.5mi in 11:50. I do most of my running at a reasonably easy pace.

I would add, don't run every day. Alternate run days with something else, I'd recommend bodyweight resistance training as you'll do quite a lot of that in new entry training as well. Use a structured programme if possible; You Are our Own Gym is very useful for this.

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Unless things change a lot since I enlisted, your will be doing PT as part of the basic training. I went from unable to run for more than a few feet to 13:54 for my 2 mile test in eight weeks (Army). The training consist of progressive longer run and faster pace. Don't waste your time sprinting.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    hey yall,

You don't have to worry about that time until it comes to graduate. You'll spend what...8-12 weeks working on it there? Right now you should just be focusing on getting your basic endurance level up (in the run, pushup, sit-up, etc..) that you need for the PT Test.

I needed to complete the 2 mile run in ~18 min when I was in the Army (ages 18-25). What many of the training runs consisted of was longer distances (3-5 miles) at intervals. My training that I took over for myself was interval training in the 30-35 min time frame; 3miles per day, that turned to 4, that turned to 5. I was able to push my 2 mile down from the 20's when I enlisted to the 12's (my 1.5mile time would have been in the 9-10min range) when I ETS'd.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    hey yall,

What I generally advise those under my command to do in terms of preparation for a Basic Fitness Test is to train to 5K/ 30 minutes. At that low level of running adding distance pays more dividends than bothering with speedwork. It's a question of identifying where you'll get most benefit.

You need to run at a steady, sustainable pace for most of your mileage. Sprinting has very limited value until you have a solid aerobic base; 10K 3 to 4 times per week. All it really does, at your level, is increase your injury risk which will mean you have to defer your entry date.

What I would say is, do not use a dreadmill for your pre-joining training. You'll run in the real world while you're in new entry training, so get used to running in the real beforehand.

fwiw, I'm 45 and for my last fitness test I did the 1.5mi in 11:50. I do most of my running at a reasonably easy pace.

I would add, don't run every day. Alternate run days with something else, I'd recommend bodyweight resistance training as you'll do quite a lot of that in new entry training as well. Use a structured programme if possible; You Are our Own Gym is very useful for this.
    j3frA2t.gif
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    hey yall,

I'm ex navy amphib warfare

Find a track around a football field

Run all out best speed lap. Time it

Walk a recovery lap.

Repeat that cycle three more times.

Day off

Do it again.

Do it for two weeks.

You will run faster. You will have more wind.

Then do a 1 mile run. Your goal is sub 8 minute mile. You can add another mile and keep the time the same at 8 minute mile or better.

You need to be decent at swimming and floating. More people bomb basic over failing swim test. Being a rock!!

Good luck!

You will enjoy getting tear gassed if they still do that. Makes you value your MKV gas mask properly.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Unless things change a lot since I enlisted, your will be doing PT as part of the basic training. I went from unable to run for more than a few feet to 13:54 for my 2 mile test in eight weeks (Army). The training consist of progressive longer run and faster pace. Don't waste your time sprinting.

Cosign- I wouldn't stop running between now and then- but get close and don't sweat it- you have a lot of training ahead of yourself.

Secondly- whats with people signing up for stuff and not being physically prepared? That one girl a month ago with her police academy thing? What do you people do from the time you apply to the time they go "hey by the way you're going in 1.5 months?"
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    I've been in the navy 14 years now, you should be out running with your recruiter several times a week. If not voice your concerns to them and ask them to start working out with you. The fitness test is not hard, the ones who struggle are the ones who go into bootcamp out of shape and think it's going to magically whip them into stellar athletes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    JoRocka wrote: »

Cosign- I wouldn't stop running between now and then- but get close and don't sweat it- you have a lot of training ahead of yourself.

In my service you have a fitness test on day 1, with not much tolerance between the pass mark for that and the exit standard.
  • JoRocka

In my service you have a fitness test on day 1, with not much tolerance between the pass mark for that and the exit standard.

I know you have to be pretty close-- I certainly wouldn't lollygag- but they aren't going to boot someone on the first day for being 30 seconds late- esp if they do well everywhere else.

Besides if military personal really truly depended on fitness tests-we would barely have a military at all. My friend is a Major Select and part of her job is making sure her soldiers can pass muster... and it's practically a full time job- some people seriously just don't care.

• MeanderingMammal
    edited August 2015

I know you have to be pretty close-- I certainly wouldn't lollygag- but they aren't going to boot someone on the first day for being 30 seconds late- esp if they do well everywhere else.

Indeed, but you don't want to use up one of your lives on day 1.

I would add that given the amount of investment in recruiting people, we don't want to lose them on day one. There is quite a lot of time put into coaching before joining, to minimise the risk of early dropout for phys reasons. As identified upthread, 'd be expecting some coaching from the recruiting staff.
    Besides if military personal really truly depended on fitness tests-we would barely have a military at all. My friend is a Major Select and part of her job is making sure her soldiers can pass muster... and it's practically a full time job- some people seriously just don't care.

Wouldn't wish to comment on your AF, although I have worked with all five at different times. There was an article in a recent British Army Review that was extolling the virtues of the USMC approach to phys.

Of course the author also got dangerously overexcited about haircuts, that's not how we do things around here...

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Meanderingmammal is giving you the best advice here. Run more easy miles and build up your endurance. I'm 44 and I can run 1.5 miles in about 11 - 11.5 minutes. It's not from sprinting or doing interval work. Most of that is due to lots and lots of easy miles.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member

Secondly- whats with people signing up for stuff and not being physically prepared? That one girl a month ago with her police academy thing? What do you people do from the time you apply to the time they go "hey by the way you're going in 1.5 months?"

True that. My son wants to be a Navy Seal when he graduates college in a few years and has already done tons of research on what he needs to do and has begun training for it.

• moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    hey yall,

j3frA2t.gif
    +1
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Hands down one of the finest guides to physical readiness:

http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf

You've received some good advice in this thread, but know that you are entering a community where physical fitness is not only encouraged, but will directly impact your advancement, so you want to be prepared and do your absolute best - always. You have a long lead time, so use this wisely and prepare, not only on the run, but pushups, situps, and get to know self destructs.

Most of this is mental and your brain will give out long before your body. Stick to the script and practice breath control. When you're just sitting around do box breathing - 4 count exhale, 4 count hold, 4 count inhale, 4 count hold, repeat. In through the nose, out through the mouth.

Maintain contact with your recruiter and keep them involved on your progress.

See you in Great Lakes come October!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Figure of speech and no idea the police thing. I hated and still hate running. Wasn't best of shape when I went in but still able cruise on a bike at over 20mph for two or more hours and sprint over 40mph on flats. Cycling is my sport. There were folks worst shape than me and made it through with flying colors. Military fitness standards are not as tough as you think but top marks are pretty high.

Not everyone is offered delayed entry. It depends on the MOS you qualify for and when it's available. In my case I got to select from everything the Army had to offer; having an engineering degree made the entrance testing moot.
  • JoRocka

Indeed, but you don't want to use up one of your lives on day 1.

I would add that given the amount of investment in recruiting people, we don't want to lose them on day one. There is quite a lot of time put into coaching before joining, to minimise the risk of early dropout for phys reasons. As identified upthread, 'd be expecting some coaching from the recruiting staff.
    Agreed- which is always I think surprised, when I see people who seem woefully unprepared when headed in.

Wouldn't wish to comment on your AF, although I have worked with all five at different times. There was an article in a recent British Army Review that was extolling the virtues of the USMC approach to phys.

Of course the author also got dangerously overexcited about haircuts, that's not how we do things around here...
    I'd say if you have to rate them in terms of "level of fks given" USMC, Army, Navy, AF (although AF/Navy could possibly be reversed)
    that's not to say the specality groups aren't there (PJ's, Seals, Rangers etc etc) who aren't top level- and there are outliers in each group (my friend is AF- and she's more locked down than some Marine's I know) but I mean- there are some soldiers in piss poor condition for no reason other than their own excuses. shameful.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    hey yall,

I would also add to this...unless things have substantially changed since I was i the Corps...you'll be PTing your *kitten* off anyway during basic...you'll make a lot of fitness gains just being in boot.

I would follow the above recommendations but not sweat it too much...you'll be working your *kitten* off soon.